PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Return...I have a bad feeling about this....

Catty1
08-17-2007, 09:35 AM
:(

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/08/16/tech-endeavour-decision.html

No repairs needed for Endeavour, NASA concludes
Last Updated: Thursday, August 16, 2007 | 11:24 AM ET
CBC News

Space shuttle Endeavour is safe to fly home as is, NASA concluded Thursday, deciding that a patch-up job to fix a deep gouge in the ship's underbelly was unnecessary.

Canadian astronaut Dave Williams, pictured during Monday's spacewalk, will not have to perform the repairs that were being considered by NASA.Canadian astronaut Dave Williams, pictured during Monday's spacewalk, will not have to perform the repairs that were being considered by NASA.
(NASA/Associated Press)

The decision from Mission Control put an end to a week of anxious uncertainty and analysis of the gash. In the end, space officials on Earth opted not to send the astronauts out for the risky spacewalk repair, reasoning the damage was not serious enough to warrant a fix.

Earlier on Thursday, astronauts were running through drills in the event they would have to perform the never-before-attempted repairs.

As the seven Endeavour crewmates, including Canadian astronaut Dave Williams, were about to retire for sleep, Mission Control radioed the news to them. After conducting one final thermal test, mission managers decided that even with the gouge the shuttle would not suffer any serious structural damage during next week's re-entry to Earth.

"Please pass along our thanks for all the hard work," Endeavour's commander, Scott Kelly, radioed.

Mission Control replied, "It's great, we finally have a decision and we can press forward."

The unevenly shaped gouge, discovered on Sunday using the Canadian-made robotic arm Canadarm, showed the damage went through the 2.5-centimetre-thick tiles, exposing the felt material sandwiched between the tiles and the shuttle's aluminum frame.

The Saskatoon-born and Montreal-raised Williams, as well as U.S. astronaut Rick Mastracchio were in line to do the possible repairs during a fourth spacewalk.

On Wednesday, Mastracchio's spacewalk was cut short after he discovered a rip in his left glove. NASA officials said Mastracchio's early return was not prompted by any danger.

Mastracchio has participated in all three spacewalks during this mission. His earlier trips, accompanied by Williams, involved replacing a faulty gyroscope and installing a new beam on the station.

Crew members were scheduled to transfer cargo and speak with reporters on Thursday before getting the afternoon off.

Endeavour's ISS mission is focused on adding some key components to the station's exterior in preparation for the later addition of another solar array to help power the station.
With files from the Associated Press

Freedom
08-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Prayers for a safe landing and return home for all on board.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm with you on this. I'm really uneasy about them not repairing it too.

If I was up there I wouldn't come back unless they either repaired the thing or sent a different shuttle up to get me. After all, it's not the big wigs on the ground who will die if it doesn't hold!!! I won't be watching the landing this time. :(

Miss Z
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I hope they know what they're doing! :(

lbaker
08-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Well this really IS Rocket Science after all. They are Rocket Scientist and if the Astronauts trust them so shall I.

lizbud
08-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Well this really IS Rocket Science after all. They are Rocket Scientist and if the Astronauts trust them so shall I.

My son is a rocket scientist and they are very level headed people. I'm sure
they would never recommend using it, as is, if they thought it would fail.
I'm sure they have considered all options.I always pray for a space flights
safe return.

RICHARD
08-18-2007, 01:37 AM
A few years ago I had the supreme opportunity to touch a tile and speak with a rocket scientist.

The tiles are suprisingly light and you would be hard pressed to believe that something like that could stand the heat that a reentry produces.

Think of a giant sugar cube that has the consistency of a rigid nylon pot scrubber, but the material is silicon.

You can heat up a tile in a furnace til it glows red hot, after removing the tile from the oven you can pick it up from the corners while is still glows red in the middle. Should you get to see that cilm clip watch! Truly remarkable!

------------------

The Columbia accident was caused by a hole in the leading edge of the wing.

The place where the tile is broken is in an area that will not get as hot as the nose and the leading edges of the wings. Some of the first shuttle missions were flown with whole tiles missing.

--------------

The NASA babe I spoke to was hotter than any ceramic shuttle tile. :eek: :D

lizbud
08-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Shuttle lands successfully. :) Watching the approach to landing from
the view of the shuttle was totally awesome. :D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I am so glad they are back safely!!! I was never so glad to be wrong in my life!!! :D :D :D

Logan
08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I've got to tell you that if I had ever qualified and chose to be an astronaut, the people I would trust the most would be my fellow astronauts and the space officials on the ground who were trained to take me up safely and bring me down safely. If they said I was safe, I would trust their opinion.

I'm so glad they have landed and everything is ok.

Logan

sweetpatata6
08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Great news! The shuttle came back just fine at about 12:30 PM EST!

cyber-sibes
08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah!

RICHARD
08-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Simply Friggin Amazing.

The thing that still astounds me is the timing. Like the reporter at KSC said-
They said 1232 hours........

THey landed it at 1232 hou :D rs!

sweetpatata6
08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Simply Friggin Amazing.

I don't get it... Can someone explain? :confused:

lizbud
08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Simply Friggin Amazing.

Yeah, I noticed. Got the timing perfectly. :)

RICHARD
08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't get it... Can someone explain? :confused:

Sure!

First,
Nasa figures out the exact times that they have to shoot off or land any missions. For the satellite/rover missions they need to put the payload into orbit at an exact time-so that way it will orbit the earth or use the earth's gravity to sling it out towards the target.

It has to do with gravity, where the target planet is, or where they want to orbit the earth.

----------------------------

The scientists know how long it takes the shuttle to orbit the earth. So what they do is figure out the best time to land by calculating where the shuttle will be on the orbit that will bring them over the Space Center in Florida.

1232 hours is 12:32 p.m.

1232 is in military time. Since a day has 24 hours, the first 12 hours are 1-12,
the afternoon hours are 13-24.

So the first two digits tell you a.m. or p.m., the second pair tell you the minutes in that hour.

When you get to the 13-24 hour set, you subtract 12 and you get a p.m. time.

So..... 1415 hours is 2:15 p.m.! 1849 would be 6:49 p.m.!
0600 is 6:00 a.m.!

Practice and it gets easy!