PDA

View Full Version : Miners in Utah

elizabethann
08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
My heart goes out to the families of the miners trapped (and possibly dead) in Utah.

And now to hear about the death of several of the rescuer's....it's just so sad.

Catty1
08-17-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/08/17/rescue-mine.html

3 rescuers killed trying to reach trapped Utah miners
Last Updated: Friday, August 17, 2007 | 5:26 AM ET
CBC News

The underground rescue effort to reach six trapped Utah miners should be suspended in the wake of a deadly cave-in that killed three rescue workers, the governor of Utah said Friday.

Maria Lerma, right, and her daughter Adilene embrace near the entrance to the Crandall Canyon mine on Thursday. Maria Lerma's husband, Natalio, was in the mine and was uninjured when a cave-in killed three rescue workers trying to reach six trapped miners.Maria Lerma, right, and her daughter Adilene embrace near the entrance to the Crandall Canyon mine on Thursday. Maria Lerma's husband, Natalio, was in the mine and was uninjured when a cave-in killed three rescue workers trying to reach six trapped miners.
(Chris Detrick/Salt Lake Tribune/Associated Press)

"I am pushing for that to cease right now," Jon Huntsman told reporters early Friday. "Unless MSHA [the Mine Safety and Health Administration] and others can guarantee that it can continue safely with all involved, I think we need to be very, very careful."

But he said it is up to MSHA, which is managing the rescue efforts, to make the call. Six other workers were also injured, three seriously, in what officials called a seismic "bump."

Earlier, officials said they were considering suspending the below-ground part of the rescue effort. It has been halted for the time being.

The bump, which commonly refers to pressure inside the mine that shoots coal from the walls with great force, reportedly occurred at 8:39 p.m. ET Thursday at the Crandall Canyon mine. The same kind of bump caused the earlier cave-in, seismologists said.

It was recorded as a magnitude-1.6 seismic event at University of Utah seismograph stations in Salt Lake City, said university spokesman Lee Siegel.
Continue Article

It was not immediately clear where those who were injured were working or what they were doing when they were hurt. Crews have been drilling holes from the top of the mountain to try to find the miners, while others were tunnelling through a debris-filled entry to the mine.

It was a shocking setback on the 11th day of the effort to find the six trapped miners. It's unknown whether the men are still alive or whether they even survived the initial collapse.

Rescuers have said they are disheartened by the pace of their efforts.

Underground, the miners had advanced only 252 metres in nine days. Mining officials said conditions in the mine were treacherous and they were frequently forced to halt digging because of seismic activity.

Before Thursday's incident, workers still had about 365 metres to go to reach the area where they believe the trapped men had been working.

Seismic activity in the mine, located on a mountain near Huntington, caused landslides and forced rescuers to stop their work Wednesday night because of fears for their safety.
Bore hole delayed

Seismic activity struck again Thursday morning, delaying plans to drill a fourth bore hole into the mine.

The miners have been missing since a collapse Aug. 6 at the mine, about 225 kilometres south of Salt Lake City. It is believed the miners are 457 metres underground.

On Wednesday night, video images from the third bore hole showed an intact mine chamber, with its roof and floor in place and its ventilation system unharmed. Water dripping into the chamber would be drinkable, said mine co-owner Bob Murray, chief of Murray Energy Corp.

Air quality samples taken from the chamber showed oxygen levels of about 16 per cent, Richard Stickler, head of MSHA, said earlier.

Normal oxygen levels are 21 per cent, but 15 per cent is high enough to support life, although it could cause people to have elevated heart and breathing rates, Stickler said. Previous readings have found oxygen levels in the mine as low as six per cent.

Noises were also detected Wednesday night by equipment used to monitor vibrations in the mine, Stickler said, but he warned it could be rocks breaking or even animals.

lizbud
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Such a sad story for all those families. :( It just keeps getting worse. :(

lvpets2002
08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
:( It is all so Horrible & Sad.. I really had hope for the six missing miners of being in another part of the tunnels.. But now I think the Mountain is trying to totally cave in.. And then this latest with the rescue workers is just so devastating.. I do Pray for all the familys & for their courage..

Husky_mom
08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
how small is the world?..... there are even some folks from Chihuahua there..... I really hope they can do something for them all....... itīs really sad seeing the impotence of not being able to do more for them......

cyber-sibes
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Heartfelt prayers going out to the families of the miners and rescuers. :(

Edwina's Secretary
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
As the granddaughter of a coal miner this story chills me and saddens me so.

Miss Z
08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I saw this on the news just half an hour ago. The whole ordeal is awful, and that rescuers got killed....ugh, it gives me chills. :( I sincerely hope that those trapped can be brought out alive and unharmed.

wombat2u2004
08-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Well....I just hope something can be done, but it isn't looking good.
Prayers sent from downunder for them all.
Wom

Vela
08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
The recovery effort here has been suspended for now, as it should be, unfortuantely=( Can't risk more loss of life on top of those already lost. I know they will go in and find out what the can as soon as they are able. The mines here are much deeper than those in most other places, because of the location of the coal and ores etc, is fairly deep. That is why it has taken them so long to try to get to them. I know they have done everything that could to get them out, even losing more lives in the effort. My heartfelt prayers for all of those involved.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-17-2007, 02:29 PM
So sad!!! One of the men killed yesterday is a cousin of one of the original six who are missing!!!

Poor families!!! Prayers flying from me for all of them!!! :(

cassiesmom
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Very sad story. Radio commentator said it was a bad situation to begin with, 6 people missing and now it is even worse with people killed and injured trying to get to the missing.

Barbara
08-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm from a mining area and one of my granddads died below there. Whenever an accident like that happens I know what it means. :(