PDA

View Full Version : What Clippers to use for a Persian Cat

travelingshooter
08-17-2007, 01:52 AM
I have an older persian that is tender skinned and extremely difficult if not impossible to groom. I have been fighting with him for a few weeks now and my basic electric clippers will not work on him. He matts up and it is like wool, you can almost not even cut through it with scissors, which I don't like to use because of cutting him. I usually take him to the vet to have a lion cut done, but the last few years he as just not done as well with the meds and I am lol to put him thru that. I would rather just groom him myself. If I could buy the right clippers that would cut through his hair in a quick and easy fashion it would not be as big of a job. And I could do a little bit each night and get him finished in a few days. So please any advice on what I should look for in a set of clippers would be greatly appreciated. I want a set that I can get blades and parts for as I have another persian that I would use them on as well. I'd like to keep the price range in the 150 dollars or less range. Thanks

jenluckenbach
08-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Use a PROFESSION pair of clippers. The pet quality ones never seem to work properly. Andis or Oster are 2 good choices.

Also, it is important to use a sharp blade. They don't dull too quickly on cat fur, but as soon as it begins to "pull" the chances of cutting the cat's skin increases. And use a #10! It is by far the safest.

kb2yjx
08-18-2007, 06:35 AM
For the sake of SAFETY, please take your fella to the groomers!!!! Even with the right clippers, our Persian wiggled at the wrong time and ended up with a one inch laceration. And I have been clipping Raven for years!!! Next week, she has an apppointment for a " Spa Day!"

buttercup132
08-18-2007, 07:23 AM
For the sake of SAFETY, please take your fella to the groomers!!!! Even with the right clippers Ditto, especially if he's not good for it,your new to it and if you dont have someone helping you. Cats skin rips much easier then a dogs.

Freedom
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I vote for a professional groomer as well.

I have a nice set of clippers, do all the bichons myself and after 5 or 6 times take them to the groomers to get them back in shape, fix whatever I haven't been doing correctly.

Vita is a long haired cat and now that she is older, she is matting regularly. I have tried everything I have learned ont he dogs; to no avail. I have had her in to the groomer's twice now, something we never did in her first 9.5 years!

The best idea I can give (and so far I can't seem to do it!) is get her cleaned up at the groomer and then brush her regularly ( daily? morning and evening?) to prevent the mats returning. Easier said than done.

Good luck!

catmandu
08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I say a professional groomer as well. I had to take Moose and Mr Fluffy there and it was worth the 30 dollars to have the job done quickly and well and saved me the ill will that these Cats would have felt towards me if I had tried to do the job myself.
Not to mention the expense of iodine and bandages.

jenluckenbach
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I too would have recommended a professional, but this person PM'd me and explained that the vet used to do it but now the cat is older and gets too stressed. (just thought I'd let you all know)