PDA

View Full Version : Spent $100 at the pet store today *PIX*

Catlady711
08-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Here's Pooky sitting on 175 lbs of litter.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/IMG_4343Small-1.jpg

Since the cats like the pet fountain (holds about 1.5 liters of water) so much they won't really drink out of the regular water bowl anymore, they keep draining the fountain at least once a day, sometimes twice a day when it's a heat wave. That bothers me if I'm going to be gone over the weekend or if I go out most of the day. I worry the fountain would go dry and burn up the motor. The cats would still have the water bowl (holds 1/2 gal. of water) but they don't like it as well anymore.

Soooooo, today I bought the JUMBO pet fountain (holds 6 liters/1.6 gal. of water!)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/IMG_4344Small.jpg

I'm moving the smaller one upstairs to replace the regular water bowl.

Scooter's Mom
08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I wonder if my kitties and shih tzu's would like one of those fountains...

Pooky looks awfully happy with all that litter!

Catlady711
08-16-2007, 10:36 PM
When I bought that first pet fountain back in the winter (on sale of course) I thought it was just me wanting fancy things for my cats. You know how that goes, you spend a bunch of money on a fancy toy and they play with the box right? So I wasn't sure how well the fountain would go over. However after a few days they LOVED it and didn't really want the regular bowl. The problem is now that it's been so hot out here, they keep draining the fountain too fast. I decided I should upgrade to the biggest size one they had. lol

I figure if my 7 (8 when I got the fountain) cats loved it that much despite having different preferences with most anything else, then it must be a good thing.

If you get one, stick with the Petmate one. There is a cheaper version out there (can't remember the name brand) but insead of a gentle slide for the water to go down, it just sorta drops off the end. I'd imagine that kind would be noisier and possibly splash water out of the bowl, although I don't know that for a fact though. This Petmate one is quiet and doesn't splash.

jennielynn1970
08-16-2007, 10:53 PM
I had one of the PetMate fountains before, and the motor went on it, and the cats never drained it of water, so it shouldn't have burned out. I bought another "motor" for it through ebay, but it didn't work either, so I just went back to a giant ceramic bowl that I clean and fill every day.

I had one of those autofill ones (no motor, just the upside down bottle) and my guys kept dragging it across the floor. My one cat, who is gone now, used to put his paw in it and watch the water flow out over top of his paw and all over the floor... :rolleyes:

Catlady711
08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Maybe you got a defective one, if you still had the slip you could have taken it back for a replacement.

I run mine 24/7 (well except when I'm cleaning it out) and mine's never been a problem yet. I bought both from PetSuppliesPlus stores.

kt_luvs_kitties
08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
They had the medium and large ones at Big lots a few weeks ago for 15.00 each. You should look there first ;)

kitten645
08-17-2007, 12:22 AM
They had the medium and large ones at Big lots a few weeks ago for 15.00 each. You should look there first

I searched EVERY Big Lots in the Bay area and have yet to find one :( And I desperately want one as my boys love the old one but drained it dry :eek: I looked to get a new motor but it was $16...cheaper than an new fountain for $30 but still would like to get something less expensive. With shipping it's $20 somewhat dollars :rolleyes: They drink out of it even without the pump but I'd like to get their favorite bevie going again.

orangemm
08-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Mine LOVE the PetMate fountain; I have had ours for at least 4 years and replaced the pump once. They drink a lot more with it on.

Did not know about the bigger ones; maybe I should get one!

Medusa
08-17-2007, 05:49 AM
My fur posse love theirs and they, too, drain it at least once a day, so I'm going to get another one. I worry about the motor burning out, too, when I'm gone, especially if I go away for a couple of days. My cat sitter is here but only at night. She feeds them in the morning, etc. and then she's off to work two jobs so I have to be sure that the fountain is in good running order. So far, so good w/this one.

kb2yjx
08-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Our oldest cat, Norton, loves to drink from the facet! I have thought about getting a fountain. I am ALMOST convinced!!! However, how dies it stand up to abuse?? If there is flowing water, I am quite sure that the younger ones, would be batting at it!! Thanks for all the great feedback!! Sandra

kb2yjx
08-17-2007, 07:30 AM
I forgot to ask: does the fountain run on electric??

Freedom
08-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Yes, the PetMate fountain is plugged in and runs on electric all the time.

I bought my first one last winter when CatLadytold us about hers, here on PT. BIG HIT here. So a few weeks back when Big Lots had them for $15, I bought a second one. I gave up using plain water bowls, no one used them except to drop food in and make a mess.

I had put off getting one as well, figuring as mentioned above, buy th eexpesive toy and they like the box best. Now I am so pleased with the fountain.

Medusa
08-17-2007, 07:53 AM
It's not a flow like a waterfall, so to speak. It's a trickle, barely noticeable except to them because most cats do like to drink out of the faucet.

critters
08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I've considered them, but I've always been concerned about keeping them clean. We had a jug-kind at one point that was a ROYAL pain to clean until I got rid of the jug.

Craftlady
08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
The motors can be taken apart and cleaned. I found that out with mine.
Thought I had to go find another unit or pump (quit working). Got directions from the company on how to take it apart, cleaned the inside, put it back together (very easy) and it worked :)
I do regular maintaince on 3 pumps.

AbbyMom
08-17-2007, 09:39 AM
The motors can be taken apart and cleaned. I found that out with mine.
Thought I had to go find another unit or pump (quit working). Got directions from the company on how to take it apart, cleaned the inside, put it back together (very easy) and it worked :)
I do regular maintaince on 3 pumps.

Same here. If I hear the pump make the slightest noise, I know it's overdue for cleaning.

Becky and Abby drink so much more water with the fountain around. They love it!

catmandu
08-17-2007, 09:51 AM
The last time I had a ride out to Petcetera and spent 145 dollars. But I got on sale 12 Big Bags of Litter.
168 cans of Fancy Feat
144 pouches of Petcetera Food.
70 pounds of Nutro Complete Care Indoor Senior.
And 24 Big Bags of Whiskas Temptations.
And 2 Cat Beds with sisal ladders.
Thank God for coupons and sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the beds went to Animal Welfare where they raised about 60 dollars on it in thier penny sale.
All in all a Great Day.
Especially when JJJ3 saw his treats!

Catlady711
08-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I've considered them, but I've always been concerned about keeping them clean. We had a jug-kind at one point that was a ROYAL pain to clean until I got rid of the jug.

I don't find this type of fountain hard to clean at all. The entire top snaps off and you can take the pump completely out and wash it up with your dishes. A bit of baking soda water and a good rinse takes care of the resivour (sp?) and then it all snaps back together again. Total cleaning time about 10 minutes once a week (more if they get lots of hair in it).

I've never had to take apart the motor yet, but I think my hubby knows how to do that if necessary though.

Kalei
08-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Wow you certainly make sure the cats have their necessities, you could say spoiled lol. I have always wanted to get my cats a water fountain, I haven't yet, but I plan to, I bet its healthier too, because the water is constantly moving it doesn't go stale or anything.

MyCatMowgli
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I own a drinkwell. http://www.vetventures.com/

I like it better than the petmate version because on the falling stream, which my kitten loves to drink from!

It does not splash , and is not very loud due to the design of it.
It uses a carbon filter that Im not sure if the PetMate one uses.

Not that it matters, but I believe PetMate originally used the same sort of design as Drinkwell, but they got sued because the free falling water was patented or something along those lines.
So PetMate had to redesign and they came up with the "slide" idea.

Catlady711
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I own a drinkwell. http://www.vetventures.com/

I like it better than the petmate version because on the falling stream, which my kitten loves to drink from!

It does not splash , and is not very loud due to the design of it.
It uses a carbon filter that Im not sure if the PetMate one uses.

Not that it matters, but I believe PetMate originally used the same sort of design as Drinkwell, but they got sued because the free falling water was patented or something along those lines.
So PetMate had to redesign and they came up with the "slide" idea.

The drinkwell one was the one I steered away from, partly because I have a couple cats that fear running water, while others love to play in it. LOL

The Petmate one also has a carbon filter inside. That was a good selling feature to me and I think it helps keep the water fresh and clean.

Dunno about original designs, I'd seen pet fountains before but never really paid close attention to specific design until I got the first one last fall.

Glad to hear the drinkwell one doesn't splash, I'll make note of that in the future if someone asks.

Medusa
08-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Wow, I've not seen this kind before! My cats would love it, especially my RB Peeka who would only drink out of the faucet.