PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need a new computer!

RobiLee
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
My computer has finally given up on me. I am hoping to get a new one soon. All I need to get is the computer itself.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should get. I mean what kind of numbers should I go with? I know I want something with lots of space for all my photos. Help, please! I don't really know much about computers and I'm not even for sure what all those numbers that are listed are for. I just no I want a pretty decent one.

Do I want Pentium D or AMD Athlon? What is Dual Core? HELP!

Thanks!

Lady's Human
08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Dual core is two processors in one chipcase. (One processor slot filled by a chipcase with two processors on board, as in double the processing power. Note that this may not be expressed in Mhz speeds, but will have a massive effect on operations like photoshop)

100 Gb hard drives are fairly cheap, and will hold huge numbers of photos.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-16-2007, 02:59 PM
No panic! I think you need a Pentium 4, and the latest version of Windows, called Windows Vista :) , or are you looking for a Mac?

vinjashira
08-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Do I want Pentium D or AMD Athlon? What is Dual Core? HELP!!
my dad had AMD Athlon and it was rubbish, I also had AMD Athlon and again it was rubbish..
never again will I buy another AMD Athlon http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Jessika
08-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I've always used AMD and have been nothing but pleased with their performance. The big difference between Pentium and AMD is that Pentium chips are already overclocked whereas AMD aren't.

And dual-core are just two processors in one. :D So basically... a 3GHz dual-core chip is really like having a 6GHz chip... And then there are the quad-core chips.... :o

Ooh and another thing... DO NOT GET A DELL. And I've heard awful things about Windows Vista... I would try to find a comp with XP on it still, if that's even possible. But I've heard that lots of things are still buggy and lots of programs aren't compatible, etc.

Randi
08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Have you thought of getting a Mac? That's what I would do. ;)

vinjashira
08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Ooh and another thing... DO NOT GET A DELL. And I've heard awful things about Windows Vista... I would try to find a comp with XP on it still, if that's even possible. But I've heard that lots of things are still buggy and lots of programs aren't compatible, etc.
I disagree.

If you already have a computer with Windows XP running then don't rush to upgrade to Windows Vista. But if you are getting a new computer then get one with Windows Vista installed. It is faster and safer and yes I am using Windows Vista.

Run a search on google on Vista vs XP and see what others say.

Alysser
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM

I agree! Dells are the worst. Especially, DO NOT GET A DELL LAPTOP. They don't last. Where my dad works, they were testing Windows Vista. He said it really isn't all the great and still has alot of bugs.

Jessika
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I disagree.

If you already have a computer with Windows XP running then don't rush to upgrade to Windows Vista. But if you are getting a new computer then get one with Windows Vista installed. It is faster and safer and yes I am using Windows Vista.

Well it depends on what or who's perspective its coming from. I live with, work with, and have family that are computer programmers/techs and they all say the same thing. Not that it's a bad OS but, like with any new release, it still has kinks to work out and to just wait a few months/year before upgrading to it.

Hellow
08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, what is wrong with your computer? Will it just not start up? Because there is an free operating system called Linux. I use Puppy Linux on my older computer and Ubuntu Linux on my newer computer. I have revived an reallllly old computer, back in the times when DOS was common, with Puppy Linux. Also, if you get tired of all of those errors that you encountered with Windows, you wont get them with Linux. If you wish to run Puppy Linux, you have to have a computer with a cd-rom drive, at least 64 MB of ram, and a 80 MHZ processor. But if you want to run Ubutu, the computer must be able to rum Windows ME sufficiently fast to even be able to run ubuntu. But, keep in mind, Linux and all of the distributions are still developing so don't blame anyone if you mess up your computer with it. Here is the Puppy Linux website:
www.puppylinux.org (http://www.puppylinux.org) and the ubuntu website: www.ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com) . And the Puppy linux forum: www.murga-linux.com/puppy/ (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/)
If you need any help just send me a PM or e-mail, e-mail preferred. PM me for e-mail address.

kittycats_delight
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
my dad had AMD Athlon and it was rubbish, I also had AMD Athlon and again it was rubbish..
never again will I buy another AMD Athlon http://www.petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Never ever had an issue with AMD Athlon. In fact it is all we use. I have never had a hitch with it at all. Hubby and I would never take Pentium over AMD. If it has INTEL inside :p then we stay far away. I have also not bought a store bought (pre-built) computer in years. We buy the components and build our own. Cheaper for one to do it this way and you get a better sytem.

Lady's Human
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I disagree with Dells being bad computers. For two years doing tech support (among my other jobs) for a mob site, where the computers were abused beyond belief, the only issues I had were 2 bad hard drives and one bad nic card out of 50+ computers in the unit.

As far as an operating system, STAY AWAY from vista. there are major security holes, and there are things Microsquash is putting in the upgrades to the OS that are truly irritating, for example, targeted ads which bypass ad-blocking software, and are based on your web site visits and searches. They are planning on putting this IN the O/S, which means no way to turn it off if they do in fact include it.

lizbud
08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I disagree.

I agree. Dell is a good one & windows xp works fine for me. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Have you thought of getting a Mac? That's what I would do. ;)
I'm with you.

Catty1
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Robin - one way to get a really good (and maybe free) computer is to find a company that has upgraded their computers lately, and is getting rid of the "old" ones. Often they are not that old, and great for home use.

You might have to get a new HD - but chances are, they have just scrubbed it, and the Windows and Office would still be on it.

I assume your keyboard and monitor are ok? So all you need is the computer itself.

Check it out!

Logan
08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I think it is funny how many differing opinions there are, based on everyone's individual experience. I happen to like Gateway computers, but that is because I've had good luck with them in the past. Would I buy a Dell? Never. Every Dell computer I have ever had went bad, way before it should have. But for every problem I have had, I know tons of people who have had good luck.

Robin, my only advice, as a novice and a computer killer (seems everyone I get near dies), get the best warranty you can.

Good luck with your decision. Perhaps you should look at Consumer Reports and see what their suggestions are.

Logan

wolf_Q
08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't have any advice as I haven't really researched different computers that much. I've had mine for several years and it hasn't given me any real issues...it's a Sony Vaio. Anyway, I just hope you are able to find something that works for you soon (its already been too long since we've seen new pics of Katie and Tori ;) ).

Cinder & Smoke
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Pick a place within "normal" driving distance (think about 6" of SNOW on the ground
the day you have to make the trip) that provides IN-the-STORE Service.

Example: Best Buy has the "Geek Squad" inside their larger stores ...
the "Geeks" may not be rocket scientists, but they know more about 'puters than you & I do!

Don't overlook a LOCAL Computer shop - as long as it's neat, clean, and the Head Tech
looks like he's taken a bath/shower within the last month. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Select a Service Provider; THEN talk to their Sales Department.
Buy what the Service Guys are authorized to service & repair.

Ask to talk to the Computer Dept Sales MANAGER ... feel him/her out for who's the
most experienced (longest employed) sales person. Come back at another time if
the lead sales person isn't working when you're there ...
you DON'T want to be sold by the kid with a week's experience!

Ask to see last week's, last month's, last year's models - they'll be the ones on SALE,
and chances are you'll never know the difference (other than $$$) between
the "old one" and the "new one".

As others have said - AVOID a unit that runs "Vista" --- too new to trust.
INSIST that you want the machine loaded with Winderz "XP" - accept no substitutes!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

G535
08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Take someone who knows what he/she is doing around computers and go to the local computer shop, some will eat you alive if you go alone and know nothing about what you need! :)

cyber-sibes
08-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Robin, my only advice, as a novice and a computer killer (seems everyone I get near dies), get the best warranty you can. I agree! A good warranty is worth every penny.
And ask your son what he or his friends know about different computers, chances are they've had more experience with them than you or I will ever have!
I had a Gateway, then a Dell for years, was satisfied with both, but upgraded to a nice Mac a year ago. (I do tons of artwork on it & needed something that could handle large graphics files without crashing) Took me a while to get used to some of the differences, but I love my Mac.

Make a list of what your most important priorities are as far as what you use a computer for, so you ask the right questions & end up with a system that really does what you want it to do.

Freedom
08-17-2007, 07:47 AM
You can check Consumer Reports, all the libraries have them. That should give you some guidance.

And as nice as large memory is (get as much as you can afford) PLEASE don't store your photos on the PC! Get a jump drive and store them on that. They won't slow down your PC, they won't be lost if you have a crash, and so many other reasons.

RobiLee
08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I would love to try a MAC but unfortunately they are way out of my price league and I hate trying to learn something new. I'm looking for something good but not too expensive. Money is very tight right now so I'm probably going to do the good ol' charge thing. I don't have any other debts so I think I can handle that as long as I don't spend too much.

I really miss having a computer more than I thought I would. I didn't think I used it that much but you just don't realize all the little things that you do on it. Right now I'm sneaking online at work during breaks and lunch. Hopefully I'll be back online at home real soon.

Thanks everyone!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I would love to try a MAC but unfortunately they are way out of my price league and I hate trying to learn something new. I'm looking for something good but not too expensive. Money is very tight right now so I'm probably going to do the good ol' charge thing. I don't have any other debts so I think I can handle that as long as I don't spend too much.
If you really want a Mac they offer great payment plans. As far as learning something new- Macs are incredibly user friendly. If you have an Apple store near you you can go in and play around on their computers to get acquainted with them.
Here are a few links- iMac (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=D35CFE9D&node=home/desktop/imac) MacBook (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=2F15A1DE&node=home/macbook/macbook) Mac Mini (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=9A515E80&node=home/desktop/mac_mini)

Hellow
08-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I would prefer to buy a mac if i had the money because i do a lot of graphics work and just a lot of comolicated stuff. And since macs are multimedia-oriented it would be great if i could have one but i am currentlu surrounded by 3 PCs, one that runs Linux, one that runs Windows XP, and one that runs WIndows 95.

RobiLee
08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Yea! I'm back online!!!

OfficeMax is having a sale with no interest, no payments til 2009 so I wound up getting an HP. I just now got it hooked up and I am so happy to be online again. It seems like it has been forever. I don't ever think of myself as being online very much anymore but once you don't have a computer you really realize that you do lots of little things on it. I sure have missed it.

I start a course in a few weeks so I really needed to get one pretty quick. So far I can't get use to the keyboard though. Very strange compared to my old one.

I got an HP Slimline Computer, 19" LCD Widescreen Monitor, a printer and I bought the 3 year warranty all for $800. I think I did pretty good. I haven't done much on it yet but so far I do see a big difference in speed. Love that part!

Here is the computer (http://officemax.shoplocal.com/officemax/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2420368&rapid=440642&pagenumber=12&listingid=-2092875772&ref=%2fofficemax%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsep ageflash%26storeid%3d2420368%26pagenumber%3d12%26r apid%3d440642%26prvid%3dOfficemax-070819BTS) that I got.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm just thrilled to be back online! :D

joycenalex
08-19-2007, 07:57 PM
and we're glad to have you back. looks like a good choice. :)

Hellow
08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
My dads boss has one of thoes. They are pretty good. I need an new computer because mine is 6 years old and its starting to lose its grip on modern techonlogy.