PDA

View Full Version : Beware of new types of spam.

smokey the elder
08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Recently I have noticed a huge influx of emails with the subject line, "You have a greeting card from x." I was just on Yahoo.com and these often contain viruses. As a general practice I delete, unopened, anything coming from an unknown source, especially if it has an attachment icon.

Has anyone gotten burned by any of these viruses or other malware?

Here's a copy of the (safe! :p ) link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20070816/tc_usatoday/spammersfindnewwaystoslipthrough

Randi
08-16-2007, 10:45 AM
People really are inventive when it comes to spam. I've been moved to a new server, so luckily, I get less spam than before. :) In any case, I never open it, it goes right into my junk folder and gets deleted.

critter crazy
08-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh Yes!! I have noticed tons of those!! And I have deleted every single one!! They never get opened!!!

Karen
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
There are so many of them, but thankfully I am on a Macintosh, and also know never to click a link for something like that. My junk folder contains "postcard" emails from ...
classmate
coworker
neighbor
family member
worshipper
friend

and more!

Killearn Kitties
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Karen, I am devasted! I thought I was the only one who had received a greetings card from a worshipper! I laughed out loud when I saw that one.

pitc9
08-16-2007, 11:13 AM
At work I've been getting TONS of those!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Yup, been getting those too. Never open any of them. I know none of my classmates would want to send me a card!!! :D

Randi
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
But Karen!! Haven't you got any from yourself? I get mails from myself all the time - and even from John. :eek:

OK, this is a post from a member of another forum, but I’d like to share it with you. :)

“I've got a problem.....

It would seem that the entire world knows just how small I am when speaking of.. well... male "equipment". I have all these people I don't even know telling me I need to make it bigger. I don't know if someone posted a photo (or even took a photo) somewhere or mailed it to these people asking them to help me with the apparent problem I have. I'm ashamed and embarrassed about it. I thought I was pretty average, apparently not. *sigh* I must be terribly tiny. :(

Also, I've grown exceptionally overweight and hadn't seen it. My pants fit the same. I didn't notice any change at all. But my new friends insist I need not only one, but several diet aides. I guess I've just let myself go. Good thing they have some helpful suggestions on what I can ingest to remedy the situation.

On top of the physical aspects that I guess I need to change, I'm also severely in debt and I didn't know. I've applied for dozens of loans and have been approved for all of them, but the thing is, I don't even remember applying. So this started me wondering if I'm just having memory issues. I'm obviously physically messed up.

Luckily, I've also been receiving tips on where to buy medication online. Man, my friends sure are helpful. Maybe if I get some of these inexpensive pharmaceuticals I can remember where when I took that explicit photo, where I sent it and why I've applied for so many loans all while losing weight.

The good news....

None of this amounts to the large problems they were last week because apparently I've won an English lottery for 5,000,000£ AND not only that I'm also the descendant of some African Prince. That one bowled me over, my being exceptionally caucasian made it quite a surprise. But hey, I guess anything is possible. I mean, why would the Prince trust me to handle his banking affairs if I wasn't a relative? AND... there's an attorney for another family that was apparently so impressed by the trust of the prince and the lottery winnings that they've asked me to handle some financial matters for them as well.

All great news. Seems my physical issues and my apparent debt will all soon be cured.

One thing I'm struggling with though.... There is suddenly a whole flock of Ukrainian women that want to be me friend. Well, more than a friend really. I'm a bit leery. Mainly because I don't know if they are interested in my miniscule... uhmmm... equipment or in my genius when it comes to financial matters.

I just thought I'd share a bit of personal information.

Although my new friends are a fount of knowledge I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks!”

moosmom
08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't open anything from anyone I don't recognize.

RICHARD
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Recently I have noticed a huge influx of emails with the subject line, "You have a greeting card from x." I was just on Yahoo.com and these often contain viruses.

I usually get hate mail with viruses.... :confused:
Thanks for the heads up!

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I've been getting the greeting cards recently. I, of course, delete them. ;)

jennielynn1970
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I've been getting the greeting cards ones on Yahoo and have just been deleting.

I also was getting the "Make you penis bigger!!" emails.... I don't have one, so I wish they'd do better research before sending those stupid emails out, lol.

krazyaboutkatz
08-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up.:) I haven't received anything like this yet but I always delete things when I don't know the person.

G535
08-17-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

That one's a real virus, there is also another, similar email but it's a hoax. Seems it only works on Window's machines and only the unpatched ones. Notice that it doesn't name the family member, friend etc.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-17-2007, 04:30 AM
I had one last week from "a schoolfriend who wanted to send me a vintage postcard". I had no friends at school :( so knew it was a virus.................