PDA

View Full Version : Kia Stung By Wasps!!! Help!!!!

ramanth
07-28-2002, 06:54 PM
Just a minute ago I was studying out on the picnic table. Kia was laying by me when she decided to investigate the other side. She stuck her nose right into a wasp nest that I didn't know was there. I saw her snap at what I thought was a bee and when I stood to tell her no she was covered in them. She shook, snapped at a few more, and pawed at her face. She never yelped and I moved far from the area, calling her too me. She snapped at another and I yelled for her to come. She finally did and I got her inside. I can't tell if she indeed got stung but if I had to guess she probably got stung at least 4 times.

How do I find the stings on her back? What do I watch for!? What do I put on it? She doesn't seem to be acting strange but I'm not sure if her mouth will swell... Oh god I'm so scared. The vets are closed.

Roofus
07-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Watch for swelling in the area where she was stung. Wasps do not leave the stingers behind so you do not have anything to remove. Do you have an emergency vet in your area you can call? They may suggest to give her some type of antihistamine such as Banadryl and give you the dosage based on her weight. How is she doing now?

ramanth
07-28-2002, 09:17 PM
She seems to be doing okay. Just a wee bump on her nose.

Mommy overreacted big time. :o :D ;)

I'm still keeping an eye on her....

jackiesdaisy1935
07-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Kimmy, what a scary thing to go through with Kia, it sounds like she is doing O.K., I have never had an experience like that but I would be worried too, but if she is not swelling etc. etc. it looks like she will be O.K. Maybe call the Vet in the moring just to be sure and keep an eye on her tonight. That was horrible, poor Kia we send her hugs and kisses
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry.

delidog
07-28-2002, 09:35 PM
kim,
you can never be overly concerned about "our" dear KIA!!!!!!
oh, did i say "ours"?!?!?!?
i meant "YOURS!!!!!" ha!!!ha!!!!
you know that we all love dear kia and you guys......and are so glad she is alright....keep a close watch for 24 hours....make sure she is getting lots of flluids....if anything is in her that will help....if she was going to have a reaction...it would have been almost immediate....but the venom can take up to 24 or more to move through her system....i am not saying this to frighten you....but why don't you call your vet in the a.m....so they have a heads' up if you need them......
they might still want her to have benadryl...like roofus said....also, always make sure that you have a 24 hour vet clinic posted somewhere near the phone incase the curious one decides to try this again.....

but i strongly reiterate......WE ARE SO GLAD THAT THE KIA MONSTER IS ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!
BIG HUGS AND KISSES FOR HER!!!!!!;) :)

sujei
07-28-2002, 09:39 PM
dear ramanth,

u were very brave. i know if that happened to my esme i would have been balling like a baby and dialing 911. i am glade to hear darth kia :p is ok. please keep us posted on her "condition";) :)

ramanth
07-29-2002, 07:50 AM
YOUR lovely Darth Kia is doing well. ;)

After I got her home from my parents, she had a good appetite and wolfed down dinner. She also ate a lite breakfast.

I believe the small bump on her nose is the only spot she got stung and I believe it's sore for her since she won't let me touch it.

I think she enjoyed watching mommy freak out... :rolleyes:

jackiesdaisy1935
07-29-2002, 09:15 AM
I'm so glad that Kia is doing well, that was a scare for both of you, thank goodness that she is O.K.
One day I walked out and there was a hive of bees in our lemon tree on our patio, and our dogs were outside, I was so scared. I called them in and tried to get someone to come get the bees, but the fellow said just wait until tomorrow they will be gone, they are just resting, and lo and behold they were gone in the morning.
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

NoahsMommy
07-29-2002, 03:14 PM
I'm so glad she's OK! Poor thing....those wasps sure can get mean!! :eek: