PDA

View Full Version : Kia Stung By Wasps!!! Help!!!!

ramanth
07-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Just a minute ago I was studying out on the picnic table. Kia was laying by me when she decided to investigate the other side. She stuck her nose right into a wasp nest that I didn't know was there. I saw her snap at what I thought was a bee and when I stood to tell her no she was covered in them. She shook, snapped at a few more, and pawed at her face. She never yelped and I moved far from the area, calling her too me. She snapped at another and I yelled for her to come. She finally did and I got her inside. I can't tell if she indeed got stung but if I had to guess she probably got stung at least 4 times.

How do I find the stings on her back? What do I watch for!? What do I put on it? She doesn't seem to be acting strange but I'm not sure if her mouth will swell... Oh god I'm so scared. The vets are closed.

sasvermont
07-28-2002, 07:02 PM
My one cat was stung by a wasp and ended up with a very swollen leg. I suppose each animal will react differently. The vet gave him an injection to reduce the fluid build up and sent him home. I would keep an eye on him for sure, but would wait it out. It seems to be pretty darn common. I hope other people chime in with some advice, soon, cause I am not sure I know what to tell you other than "the above"...

Keep us posted about sweet Kia with the pretty blue eyes!:cool:

Roofus
07-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Watch for swelling in the area where she was stung. Wasps do not leave the stingers behind so you do not have anything to remove. Do you have an emergency vet in your area you can call? They may suggest to give her some type of antihistamine such as Banadryl and give you the dosage based on her weight. How is she doing now?

lovemymaltese
07-28-2002, 08:07 PM
I agree, contact a vet at the minute you see swelling. My parents dog was stung by one last summer and nothing ever came of it, good luck!

lizbud
07-28-2002, 08:45 PM
That's so scarey. I really don't have any advice to give
other than what you can read at http://vetinfo.com
under "Insect stings". I don't think it is as serious in
dogs as it can be for humans. I think I would try to call a
vet just to get some peace of mind about it. I do know that
Buddy has actually snatched them out of the air in his mouth
and never had any reaction to it at all. Good luck to you &
Kia. Let us know if you find out anything and how she's
doing. O.K.? Liz & Buddy.

ramanth
07-28-2002, 09:15 PM
She seems to be doing fine... you know mommy's.... overreacting and such. ;) :D

She's got a little bump on her nose, but no other swellings that I could see.

My parents got home soon after and mom suspects that they couldn't get to her skin thru all her fur and shook them off before they could sting her.

I hope so.

I'm still watching her....

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Kimmy, I am sorry that Kia got stung :( I hope she is feeling OK.
If you haven't seen any swelling so far, you probably have nothing to worry about. Some dogs are allergic to wasps stings, and others aren't.

Logan
07-29-2002, 06:50 AM
I hope Kia is doing better this morning. Seems our dogs handle things like this much better than we humans do!!! :)

anna_66
07-29-2002, 07:32 AM
Glad to hear that Kia is feeling ok after all that. I would have been so scared if I were you too!
Angus once got stung by something (not sure if it was a bee or wasp?), but it was on top of his nose, and BOY did it swell! Thankfully it went down by the next day! Ya just never know with these kids!

ramanth
07-29-2002, 07:39 AM
Still no swelling this morning. Just a little bump on her nose that must be sore because she won't let me look at it.

When I got her home she still had an appetite and wolfed down dinner.

Mom said if it was going to swell up it would of done so by now. So I'm happy that the worst is over.

I think Kia enjoyed watching mommy freak out... :rolleyes: LOL!

CountryWolf07
07-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Oy! ROSIE got stung by a bee too! She had a bump on her muzzle, which scared me because I never saw that.. it was SO swollen...but she's ok now :) Good to know that Kia is fine too! Ya know, I think Rosie enjoyed seeing me freak out ;) - Rachel

Dixieland Dancer
07-29-2002, 11:09 AM
So glad to hear that Kia didn't have an allergic reation! ;)

Sudilar
07-29-2002, 11:18 AM
So glad Kia is ok! I would have been terrified, too.

jennifert
07-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Kimmy, this thread scared the daylights out of me when I first saw it and read your original post. Boy am I glad Kia is OK.....I personally am absolutely terrified of bees and wasps. I've never been stung and I run like the dickens when they come near me!! SO whoever said running doesn't work or to just sit still and they will go away was mistaken!!!

So relieved to hear she's fine! :D

Gepansy
07-29-2002, 12:51 PM
I hope she's ok.

One time Sara got stung by a bee, her nose swelled right after.
It stayed huge for about 30 or so minutes. After that it started going down, but was still a little swollen all through the day, but she was fine...she was shaking a little.

Tina
07-29-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm so glad Kia is doing better!