PDA

View Full Version : Ripley got outside and was lost for about an hour

jazzcat
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
What a heart attack! We forgot that we had left the garage door up a few inches to vent the heat from the car engines and let Ripley go out to his "room" (the garage) tonight. Richard went out to close up everything in the garage when he realized he had let Ripley out there and he was missing. Some how that big boned cat had flattened himself out enough to squeeze under the garage door. We called for him and looked all around the house but couldn't find him. Finally Richard gave up and headed to bed but I said I'd keep looking so he turned on all the flood lights and porch light for me. I looked and called (I'm sure my neighbors are thrilled since it was almost midnight) but couldn't find him. As I was heading back into the garage I turned around and said "goodnight Rip" and I saw two glowing eyes at the end of the house behind the holly bush hedge. He was petrified and it took some coaxing but he finally ran for the garage.

He was drooling like crazy but I think it was from his panic and the heat. He's a little dirty but seems okay. I hope he didn't eat any thing bad or pick up fleas. I'll be keeping an eye on the old man. That was a big adventure for a 15 year old kitty geezer. On top of that the coyotes were out howling a little bit ago. I'm so glad Ripley wasn't a midnight snack! :eek:

Oh, and by the way, I'm suffering from severe guilt. Just today I was complaining to someone that we couldn't go on vacation because of all the cats and especially Ripley because of his stress, kidney failure and potty issues.

A picture of the escape artist.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2007/nose1.jpg

kt_luvs_kitties
08-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh Lori, THANK GOD he is back inside and safe! I cant imagine the panic you were feeling. It hurts just to read it....

Dont feel guilty, it wasnt anyones fault. And whats better is that he is no worse for the wear!

NOW RIPLEY... DONT do that to your meowmie, I know it LOOKED like a good idea, but I am sure you soon realized how scary it could be all alone!

Please give the old guy a squeeze from me! :D

krazyaboutkatz
08-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Lori, I'm sorry to hear that this happened:( but I'm so glad that you were able to find hime again and get him inside where it's safe. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and won't try this again.:) Hearing coyotes howling so close to you sure is scary.:eek:

RICHARD
08-16-2007, 01:12 AM
At least you are clothed and had your shoes on. :confused:

O.K. Ripster, Behave.

No more guilt trips.

P.S. Why are everyone else's adventures so "calm"? :eek:

kt_luvs_kitties
08-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Because "US" women know better than ever walking out the door fully clothed AND with shoes on :p

We dont wanna Squash a Slug, or have a neighbor see us "indecent" ;)

Medusa
08-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Whew! Close call! Don't feel guilty at all. We need vacations to keep us sane. People first. It wasn't karma at all; it was an accidental overlook. Glad Ripley's ok, the little Houdini.

Killearn Kitties
08-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Oh Ripley! :eek: Do you not think that you put your mum through enough?!
Naughty boy squeeeeeeezing under the door like that!

Barbara
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
One of the problems is that these indoor kitties really don't feel safe when tehy are outside so they easily panic.
Good that our grand ole catman Ripley is back safe and sound :)

jenluckenbach
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
POOR RIPLEY! He was probably as terrified as you were!! I'm glad it was only for about an hour and not days or weeks. :eek:

Randi
08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh Ripley, I'm sure you enjoyed your little outing, but please, don't scare your mommy like that.

Lori, I'm so glad Ripley was just around the house and came in when you called. :) I don't want to think what could have happened with Coyotes out there. :eek:

Pawla
08-16-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm glad Ripley is safe. I can't imagine the panic you felt when you realized he was missing. I'm sure glad this incident turned out well.

catmandu
08-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow! That Was Fast Work By The Pet Angel Search And Rescue Squad And You Can Bet The Porch Angels Are Giving Ripley A Stern Lecture About Running Away From A Great Home And Scaring You So Much.

jennielynn1970
08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
It's amazing the smallest spaces the biggest of cats can get into!

I'm glad that Ripley was safe and sound. Hope the drooling was just him being anxious and nothing more. How is the old boy doing tonight?? He just wanted to keep you on your toes, and let you know the old ones can still compete with the youngins'!

jazzcat
08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
The old man is doing well. No bad side effects from his little adventure except a bit of attitude. No surprise about that, he cops and attitude over everything.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Whew! What a scare! I can only imagine your panic and relief once he was back inside.

Ripley, please be nice to your meowmy. She loves and worries about you so much, even if you do try her patience now and then. ;)

Felicia's Mom
08-18-2007, 09:19 AM
I am glad Ripley is home safe. I know how I would feel if my cats got out.

Freedom
08-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Thank goodness you found him quickly and safe.

Keep an eye because now he may like the idea of being an escape artist; which means he can get into all sorts of stuff he hadn't thought about before! Going outside wasn't too fun, but he can squeeze through more stuff now he knows he can.

catfamily
08-18-2007, 11:29 AM
When I first starting reading this I got so tensed up for you guys.What a scare you guys had.
I'm so glad he showed his glowing eyes before you called it a night.
The wolves would of eaten him up for a huge snack :eek:
you must be soooo releived.
That happens to all of us at some point or another in life.
Most times we catch them before their gone for good though.Especially when they have 2 caring parents like you guys.
Don't feel guilty.Go on a vacation.We all need to get away from our every day worrys at home.It will do you and your hubby good to get away.
I wish we could go away but we have noone to watch our cats.We'd have to go away seperately or not at all :(

shais_mom
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
boy that IS a big adventure!!
Glad he's home safe and sound !

Kirsten
08-19-2007, 01:31 PM
How very scary, a real nightmare!!! Glad that you found him, and that he's safe now!!

Ripley, please don't do such a thing again!!

Kirsten

momcat
08-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Ripley, you weren't being nawtee you were just following your instincts. Even so, you had your Meowmie so scared and upset because of all the dangerous things out there. I'm glad you stayed close to your house so that Meowmie was able to find you and bring you back inside where you're safe. Give Meowmie lots of kisses and tell her you're sorry for getting her so upset and be sure to promise never to do this again!