PDA

View Full Version : Starting new PT job at Home Depot!

jennielynn1970
08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, so since my bills have been getting the best of me, I decided to take on another job. My teaching job will be daytime starting next week, the 20th, already :( :eek: ... where did the summer go?!

In my district you can opt to get your summer pay in a lump sum, or get it throughout the summer just like the school year... I get it the same way all year. I can't imagine getting a lump sum and having to spread it evenly throughout 2 1/2 months! I am not the best at budgeting, so don't even want to think about the trouble I'd get myself in with that amount of money in my bank account at one time.

Since I'm also not doing my teacher union job anymore (I quit at the end of the school year... just not worth the hassle at this point), I figured I could squeeze in a PT job for after school and on weekends.

So, after I thought about all the different options, and where did I want to work, who I'd be working with, and would I be spending my paycheck there rather than on bills (Macy's came to mind :D :rolleyes: ), I applied at Lowes and Home Depot. Well, I got hired at Home Depot!! I also figured in to this equation that there would be handy men there that I could meet. SINGLE handy men! This is good, right?! I can get paid to wear jeans and a shirt and sneakers (not dressed up, thank god), and meet a single, handy guy! I think this was a good decision on my part, lol! Hmmm... can just see the wedding invitations now... 'please join our bride and groom as they walk down our plumbing aisle to their waiting lawn tractors and drive off into the sunset!" LOL! :p ;)

Oh, and orientation is on Friday!!! I have to actually get up and be there by 8:30am! :eek: You don't even want to know how late I've been sleeping in!! :o :D

jenluckenbach
08-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, best of luck!!! Are you at the one near me, or the one across town?

phesina
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
OOOOh, congratulations, Jenn! Best wishes with it (and with finding Mr. Right [or maybe Mr. Goodwrench?])

Pat

dukedogsmom
08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Ha ha! I read the title as Pet Talk job at Home Depot :p I was wondering what they were doing with pets there. Good luck!

shais_mom
08-15-2007, 07:43 PM

:eek: You don't even want to know how late I've been sleeping in!! :o :D
I DO!! ;)
GOOD LUCK!!:)
in the orientation and the single men meeting - if it works for you - I might do it too! ;)
after this friggin foot heals!
and don't forget you aren't allowed to work Labor Day weekend!!!;)

jennielynn1970
08-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Well, best of luck!!! Are you at the one near me, or the one across town?

It's at the one off Lehigh Street in Allentown. So, I still have to deal with Rt 78 when coming home from school I guess, lol. I hate that road, but it's the easiest way to get to the south side of Allentown. Taking 22 and going through town is just a pain in the butt.

jennielynn1970
08-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I DO!! ;)
GOOD LUCK!!:)
in the orientation and the single men meeting - if it works for you - I might do it too! ;)
after this friggin foot heals!
and don't forget you aren't allowed to work Labor Day weekend!!!;)

Let's just say that on good days, when I feel guilty, I get up at about NOON!!!

When I don't feel guilty.. ummm... let's not go there!!

I do have to say, in my DEFENSE, that I'm a night owl and am usually up in the summers till 4-5am. So, to me, if I go to be at 4am, and sleep until noon, it's not really sleeping in, lol. :p

K9karen
08-16-2007, 12:02 AM

I do have to say, in my DEFENSE, that I'm a night owl and am usually up in the summers till 4-5am. So, to me, if I go to be at 4am, and sleep until noon, it's not really sleeping in, lol. :p

*Coughs* *Ahem* I'd say that you're absolutely right. Afterall, you ARE getting your full 8hours as medically recommended! :p :D

JenBKR
08-16-2007, 08:08 AM
YAY that's awesome! Congratulations! Working around all those hunky men.....sounds like fun to me :D

wombat2u2004
08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Good on ya Jenn.............and may those single handymen line up for you to pick one (or maybe two) for yourself :D
Wom

shais_mom
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM

that's exactly right.
That is what I do working 2nd shift.
My mom can't understand my staying up late and sleeping late - but I'm getting my 8 hours!!

lizbud
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Wow, you've even got the wedding planned out. :D Now, I'm re-thinking
the app. I put in at CVS. :)

Pam
08-16-2007, 07:31 PM
I also figured in to this equation that there would be handy men there that I could meet. SINGLE handy men! This is good, right?!

Yes that is very good . . . and after you are married he should tackle the "Honey Do List" with gusto and know how to do it properly! :D :D :D

Logan
08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I have always wanted a job at Home Depot! :o Always! I work full time, already, and between our children, home, pets, I can't imagine taking on a part time job, but I will admit I have thought about it. I would have been more likely to do it before Scott and I got married in 2002.

Good luck and have fun, Jenn!

Logan

jennielynn1970
08-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, I'm heading to bed now because I have to be at work tomorrow at 8:30AM. That is so NOT my waking up time the past month and a half!! :o

I'm working 8:30 till 4:30pm, and then I'm dropping keys off at a friend's house who let me stay at her place in Woodstock, NY. It was a little too cabin like for my tastes (spiders, spiders, spiders... one as big as my big TOE, I SWEAR!!!). I realized I'm really more a hotel girl, lol. I like to feel comfy, not buggy, lol.

I just have to figure out what my schedule will be there because now I have a bunch of other things I need to get done. I have one foster who is going to his new home (YAY WOODY!!! He's FIV+ and has been with me for TWO YEARS!), and then I need to get another foster to PetSmart in Reading since there is an opening and she is miserable being in a room by herself. She's also miserable being with other cats, but she basically just needs to get adopted. So I'm hoping she goes quickly after she gets to PetSmart.

Saturday I have a party for my nephew who just graduated and has joined the NAVY. He leaves on Sept. 6th, and we are having a going away party for him Saturday night. It's luau themed... :rolleyes: I'm not a super party person when it comes to my brother and his friends (they all drink and smoke way too much), but it's for my nephew, the brat, so I'll be there. They're roasting a pig too, so that should be interesting. I did ask my brother whether I could put the apple in his mouth.... :p ;) He didn't find the joke too funny. Oh well, lol.

Then Sunday they are having a PRIDE festival here in Allentown at Cedar Beach (Gay/Lesbian Pride festival), and even though I am not of that persuasion, the one shelter I volunteer for requested help for their stand there (the two who wanted to put a stand up are members of that community, and they said it's a good way to get our name out there). I only live a few blocks from the festival, and I'm secure enough in myself to feel comfortable there. Plus, you know there are always hot hot guys at those festivals, whether they like women or not, lol. Eye candy is always a good thing... who cares if they think you are or not!! :p :p

So, hopefully I can figure out my PT schedule so that I can get my adoptions in and my kitties to PetSmart (1 1/2 hrs away... sigh).... and then get things together for my classroom since teaching starts this coming monday (not with the kids yet though). It's really going to be keeping me busy!!! This is a good thing though, I think! :D No time to be depressed with barely time to sleep, right?! :p

Oh gosh... forgot to add in that I'm catsitting for a friend who is in Cancun from the 18th to the 26th. I go over and visit and play with her kitties once or twice a day and veg out there... she has a gorgeous house with a koi pond , a nice enclosed day/sun room to relax on in the evening. Her place is actually my vacation, lol. I go and feel absolutely in heaven!! Love love love cat sitting for my friend Jan!

jennielynn1970
08-16-2007, 11:46 PM
It's at the one off Lehigh Street in Allentown. So, I still have to deal with Rt 78 when coming home from school I guess, lol. I hate that road, but it's the easiest way to get to the south side of Allentown. Taking 22 and going through town is just a pain in the butt.

You know, I was actually think about whether we could get a good deal on building supplies and getting a contractor (private through connections) to build us a new shelter. That is what I would love to do with this new job. I'd even put in a good percentage to getting that accomplished.

shais_mom
08-16-2007, 11:50 PM
So, hopefully I can figure out my PT schedule so that I
I can't help it when I see PT -
I think
PET
TALK!!! :D

dukedogsmom
08-17-2007, 04:48 AM
I can't help it when I see PT -
I think
PET
TALK!!! :D
That's what I told her when she first put it up. That's all I see.

Ha ha! I read the title as Pet Talk job at Home Depot :p I was wondering what they were doing with pets there. Good luck!

shais_mom
08-17-2007, 10:05 AM
That's what I told her when she first put it up. That's all I see.
I even do it at work - when I see pt. meaning patient. I still see Pet Talk!