PDA

View Full Version : Kitten food?

critter crazy
08-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Today I went to buy some kitten food for the fosters. I was given kitten food when I picked up the kittens, but between momma and the babies, we were out already!! So I was searching for the Best I could find, and came accross Welness Brand kitten food. I was amazed by the ingrediants, not to mention the fact that it is Grain Free!! So I bought some to see if the kitties liked it, and it has been a huge Hit!! what do you all think??
Here is the Ingredients list:

Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Salt, Guar Gum, Cranberries, Blueberries, Squash, Zucchini, Flaxseed, Garlic, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Carrageenan, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

I also have a Question, how long should I keep the kittens away from my kitties?? Should they always be seperated, or can they interact after some time?? just curious. They are living in my bathroom, and bedroom right now, but my two are very curious about them, and stand by the door listening most of the day!:)

Jessika
08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Wellness is definitely above the grocery-store brand foods. I believe it used to be really good until they changed the formula a year or so ago and its still good just not as good as it used to be or something.

catmandu
08-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Wellness is an excellent food and a very good choice for Young Kittens. I would try a sample bag of Royal Canin as the Kitten Foods usually valued priced.
And it would make sure that the Cats and Kittens got along at thier first meeting before you let them mingle. I bet the Cats are scared by the Kittens energy at first but eventually I bet you get some great photos of them playing together.

critter crazy
08-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Well the thing with the Kitten food(wet) was all they had was Science Diet, or wellness. so I went with the wellness, it seems realy good to me. They dont seem to ever have a great choice for wet food, but once they get to dry food, it will be easier to find much better foods. :)

Catlady711
08-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Since no one has addressed this part of your question, I'll help out with it.

Keep your fosters separated from your kitties until the entire series of vaccinations are complete (which at the same time is also a quaranteen (sp?) period in case any kittens are incubating anything)

You don't want to rush getting them aquainted only to find out the kittens had a couple earmites that took several weeks to show itself, or incubating a kitty cold that doesn't show up right away. Whether it's to keep your kittens from passing anything to your cats, or something your cats are spreading but not catching themselves, it's always safer to quaranteen (sp?), do all the vaccinations and worming, THEN gradually work on socializing.

Good luck