PDA

View Full Version : What's her beef?

RICHARD
08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Horse saves farmer from raging cow

A Scottish farmer's wife says her horse saved her life after it fought off a cow that was attacking her.

Fiona Boyd, 40, feared she was going to be crushed to death by the cow after it kicked her to the ground, then rolled on top of her.

She says she survived only because her horse, Kerry, raced to the rescue and kicked the cow until it moved off her.

Mrs Boyd told The Scotsman: "I am in no doubt Kerry saved me. If she hadn't been grazing in the same pasture, I really believe I would have been killed. Kerry was fantastic. She saved my life."

Mrs Boyd, a mother of two, was alone at home on her family farm at Chapmanton, near Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, when she heard the cries of a young calf in distress.

She went outside to see the calf had become separated from its mother and decided to move the calf and its mother into a shed together.

But as she approached the calf, its mother finally heard its distressed cries and charged at Mrs Boyd, knocking her to the ground.

As she tried to get to her feet, the cow butted her and shouldered her again to the ground, before dropping its full weight on top of her.

As she scrambled for cover, she saw her 15-year-old chestnut mare kicking wildly at the cow. As the horse hit out at the cow, Mrs Boyd managed to crawl 20ft to safety under an electric fence.

Mrs Boyd alerted her husband, Matt, 44, who had been working in another field, and who took her to hospital.

She said: "Cows are normally placid animals, but during calving they become very protective. I shouldn't have tried to move the calf through the herd on my own, and I certainly won't be doing it again."

-----------------------

Or, as Bart Simpson would say.......everyone, all together...."Don't have a cow man!" :rolleyes:

shais_mom
08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
yup even the 'dumb' animals do amazing things.
A girl I work with was in a pen a couple years ago with several cows and one of them went nuts and knocked her down off the gate and tried to stomp her too - her kids were on the other side of the fence screaming -
when another cow came flying over and headbutted the first cow off her and held her back until she was able to get out...
Attack Cow - I think was made into some mighty tasty burgers. :p

critter crazy
08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Way to go Kerry!!! :eek:

RICHARD
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Attack Cow - I think was made into some mighty tasty burgers. :p

And then the cholesterol attacks you again! :eek: :D