PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Wedding

slick
08-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm invited to a chinese wedding on September 9th. After the ceremony there is a big banquet at a restaurant in downtown Vancouver.

Help! Are there any traditions I should be aware of? I've only been told not to wear black or white. What about a gift? Do they give money? If we are going from the church to a restaurant, when do I give the gift? Anyone been to a chinese wedding??? :confused:

RICHARD
08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm invited to a chinese wedding on September 9th. After the ceremony there is a big banquet at a restaurant in downtown Vancouver.

Help! Are there any traditions I should be aware of? I've only been told not to wear black or white. What about a gift? Do they give money? If we are going from the church to a restaurant, when do I give the gift? Anyone been to a chinese wedding??? :confused:

Ah no, But I have participated in a Fire Drill.

Karen
08-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Red is the best color to wear to a Chinese wedding, red is good luck/good fortune! We brought the gifts to the reception hall, I am not sure what was proper, but in the case of the Chinese wedding I attended, the church was a little bitty place (Harvard's Swedenborgian chapel) and I knew the restaurant would be a bigger spot.

My experience with a Chinese wedding, though, was not quite typical. My poor friend, Jade, the bride, got stuck in traffic for 45 minutes on the way to her own wedding, and was so angry her sister had quite the task keeping her from getting out of the limo and walking Boston's Southeast Expressway (which is scary even when you're safely enclosed in an automobile, traffic is just NUTS) in her wedding gown. Then when we got to the reception, her father had changed the seating arrangements on her - he took everyone with a non-Chinese last name, and stuck us all at one table, farthest from the head table. Jade was so upset that she threatened to reseat everyone until we all told to not worry, WE weren't upset, and so she should just relax, and try to enjoy the day. If looks could kill, her dad would have been an itty bitty pile of ashes on the floor, but we finally convinced her!

K9karen
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I have. In fact 2. One very very traditional, the other, a mixed couple, not so much.

Slick, John made a beautiful origami red envelope for the money. EVERYBODY enjoys $$$, believe me.

Is it formal?

I can ctc you with more info if you want.

slick
08-15-2007, 01:21 AM
In addition to the traditional Western wedding gifts, couples at a Chinese wedding will be given small, red envelopes filled with money. The couple collects these packets from the guests as they visit the tables, or guests deposit the packets in a designated box. Large sums of money often accumulate, so many couples hire a security guard to watch the money box.
Well, I found this on one website. So that means I have to purchase a gift as well as give them money. This could prove to be quite expensive but she is such a nice girl and I love her family. Both her Mom and Dad work were I do and she use to work under me as a data entry clerk. I know that she will wear white for the ceremony and red for the banquet. I guess I'd better go shopping this weekend.

Killearn Kitties
08-15-2007, 02:04 AM
I've only seen a Chinese wedding party, and the bride was in the most magnificent deep red dress. She was absolutely gorgeous!

I'm not sure why you would have to give a gift as well as money? I read that quote as meaning that traditionally the money was the gift.

wombat2u2004
08-15-2007, 09:32 AM
No Slick.........gift is not necessary, money will suffice !!!!
You can get yourself along to Chinatown or a Chinese restaurant maybe and purchase a red packet (Ang Pow).....put whatever money you would like to put in it as a gift. That is all that is required.
Have I attended Chinese weddings ????? My first wife was Chinese, and I attended MANY weddings in Singapore, Malaysia and the USA.
Hope thjis helps you,
Wom