PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from Haines Alaska - Update Post 9 **We have an Eagle!**

Aspen and Misty
08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I posted pictures of my Alaskan adventures. The town is starting to become a ghost town as most of the other people my age are heading back to the lower 48 to finish up schooling. All my friends left in the past 2 days and I'm pretty lonely so I thought I would post some pictures for you guys to see and to help cheer me up.

Some pics from around town:

The Chilkat River and Mountains
http://lh6.google.com/chewysnova/Rr-vQ7ZTNNI/AAAAAAAADFg/ttEpJDMX8L0/Ashley%20488.jpg?imgmax=512

Fort Seward
http://lh4.google.com/chewysnova/Rr-vSbZTNOI/AAAAAAAADFo/9Zdj5h8oGQU/Ashley%20492.jpg?imgmax=512

I love this bumper sticker!
http://lh3.google.com/chewysnova/Rr-vWLZTNQI/AAAAAAAADF4/KuGW2RelAvk/Ashley%20494.jpg?imgmax=512

Bear Lake
http://lh5.google.com/chewysnova/Rr-ksrZTM-I/AAAAAAAADCY/wGNLyhn77uA/Ashley%20557.jpg?imgmax=512

We climbed to the top of Mt. Ripinsky. It's an impossible mountain that people who have lived here all there lives don't even dream about climbing. So us crazy interns got it in our heads to climb to the top! I barely made it, but once we got to the top we got to put our names in a notebook they keep up there in a metal tub. It was an amazing experience.

Me at the top of the Mountain signing the notebook
http://lh5.google.com/chewysnova/RqbnA7ZTKbI/AAAAAAAACeQ/VhIesUIUzGE/Ashley%20370.jpg?imgmax=512

The view from the top, the buildings on the left of this photo is the town of Haines where I'm staying
http://lh6.google.com/chewysnova/Rqbl7LZTKMI/AAAAAAAACcY/UVI-QF_SjbE/Ashley%20324.jpg?imgmax=512

Almost to the top of the mountain we ran into this lake. I want to live right on it's edge for the rest of my life :)
http://lh3.google.com/chewysnova/RqbmQbZTKRI/AAAAAAAACi4/WU5l09koiGs/Ashley%20344.jpg?imgmax=512

more to come....

Aspen and Misty
08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I also went on a boat trip to the Davidson’s Glacier

Me by the Glacier showing off the common Alaskan shoes, Rubber boots! LOL
http://lh6.google.com/chewysnova/RqpxuLZTK8I/AAAAAAAACnc/QkKam5CUVHA/dg%20lori%203.jpg?imgmax=512

My friend Kathy and I on the boat
http://lh6.google.com/chewysnova/RqL1CLZTI7I/AAAAAAAACJk/Vzc-MO1cNKc/Ashley%20168.jpg?imgmax=512

A picture of the Glacier
http://lh3.google.com/chewysnova/RqL1ObZTI_I/AAAAAAAACKI/e4LzdymWUYE/Ashley%20178.jpg?imgmax=512

Battery Point is one of our favorite spots to go cause it's an easy trail to hike on and it comes out on the beach

http://lh4.google.com/chewysnova/RowoyA0HwiI/AAAAAAAABqA/rmxSbP3zavY/Playing%20on%20Rocks%20029.JPG?imgmax=512

My friend Kathy and I at Battery Point
http://lh6.google.com/chewysnova/Rows2g0Hw1I/AAAAAAAABtA/Lx6Fo1K07aI/Playing%20on%20Rocks%20055.JPG?imgmax=512

Right now we have an injured eagle down at the beach. Since I work for the American Bald Eagle Foundation, it's our responsibility to catch him. So we have been checking on him everyday. We will probably go and catch him today and get him an emergency flight to the Juneau Raptor center where he will get all fixed up. For now here is a picture of him (sorry it's kinda dark).
http://lh4.google.com/chewysnova/Rr-Z3bZTMHI/AAAAAAAAC14/HmnYYBukrmU/Ashley%20690.jpg?imgmax=512

I hope you enjoyed, thanks for letting me share.
Ashley

Laura's Babies
08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Wow! Those pictures are simply STUNNING!! I really enjoyed them, thanks for posting!

lvpets2002
08-14-2007, 04:45 PM
:) :eek: Oh my goodness for sure Mother Nature at her Best.. Great Beauty Great Pics thanks

wolflady
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Wow! What a beautiful place! Alaska is definitely one of the places I would really love to visit. Thanks for sharing these with us! ;)

dukedogsmom
08-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow! What an adventure you're having! You'll remember this for the rest of your life. I love the first pic. Just beautiful! And I can't believe you climbed to the top of that mountain. I think it's neat about the notebook. I hope you find that eagle. Keep checking in with us. It's great to hear from you.

lizbud
08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
What a wonderful experience for you. Wow, it's beautiful country there.
Please do send more pics when you can of the eagle or just more scenery.

I see what you mean by saying it's a great place to live. :)

Logan
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
What a great experience you are having! I love all of the pictures. I would love to come to Alaska, one day.

Logan

Aspen and Misty
08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys! I love it here so much and everytime you turn around there is something new and beautiful to see.

The capture was a success. I currently have an eagle sitting on my porch in a large dog kennel awaiting an 8:15 flight to Juneau. :D

I got some good pictures of him through a peep hole in the kennel

A shot of our "Eagle kennel"
http://lh4.google.com/chewysnova/RsJQXrZTNZI/AAAAAAAADI0/ns8b72BFhkU/Ashley%20741.jpg?imgmax=512

A nice body shot of him
http://lh4.google.com/chewysnova/RsJQWrZTNYI/AAAAAAAADJY/cM0Jm9rv_JA/Ashley%20740.jpg?imgmax=512

an up close shot of his head - see how dirty he is? The black spots on him are bugs, he is obviously pretty bad off
http://lh5.google.com/chewysnova/RsJQV7ZTNXI/AAAAAAAADJQ/JNLdDxReX9w/Ashley%20739.jpg?imgmax=512

My favorite shot of him
http://lh5.google.com/chewysnova/RsJQU7ZTNWI/AAAAAAAADIc/qvw_Jlv9dJA/Ashley%20738.jpg?imgmax=512

The Juneau Raptor center will be careing for him and hopefully getting him well enough to release. The bald spot on his chest is a lump of come kind. We aren't sure at this point what is making him ill, the lump or the wing. Hopefully whatever it is will be an easy fix and he will be back on his feet in no time!

Ashley

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Goodness, it is beautiful where you are! The eagle is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! :D

critter crazy
08-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh Wow!! Great pics!!! That Eagle is just stunning!! Job well done!!

Alysser
08-14-2007, 08:24 PM
OMG, Alaska is beautiful!! What pretty shots of such breath taking scenery. I am glad you got the Eagle. He's so gorgeous! What a striking eye.

Karen
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Fabulous pictures, and so glad you caught the eagle so he can get rehabbed and better enough to hopefully fly free again! They are usually such magnificent creatures, it's sad to see one in bad shape, you know?

dukedogsmom
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
So cool! What an honor to see an Eagle up close and personal like that. You're a very lucky girl. I hope he's going to be ok.

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
The capture was a success.
I currently have an eagle sitting on my porch in a large dog kennel
awaiting an 8:15 flight to Juneau. :D

http://lh5.google.com/chewysnova/RsJQU7ZTNWI/AAAAAAAADIc/qvw_Jlv9dJA/Ashley%20738.jpg?imgmax=512

OK ... Just HOW does one go about the "Successful Capture" of a WILD Eagle??

He does NOT look like he's "smiling"!

Prayers for his Full Recovery! ;)

Aspen and Misty
08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
OK ... Just HOW does one go about the "Successful Capture" of a WILD Eagle??

He does NOT look like he's "smiling"!

Prayers for his Full Recovery! ;)

Are you trying to imply that a sweet, little, cuddly eagle would hurt someone? :eek: No really. We did have to watch out for the talons that can crush human bones and the beak that can break fingers. Here is the whole story on his capture:

We had been watching him for 5 days. Yesterday he looked really bad so today we decided was the day to catch him. We went down to the beach and saw him stranded on a rock in the middle of high tide. We get a 24 foot tide here so most likely a few hours ago his rock was on dry land then slowly the rock became surounded by water. When Christa (my boss) and I walked up there were two people standing there watching him already. With the four of us the eagle became worried, lept into the ocean and swam out furthur to a "better" rock. Well this "better rock" was already covered in water and he was having trouble keeping a grip. He weighed his options, lept back into the ocean and swam for shore. Seeing that he was very dirty (rare for an eagle) and having a lot of trouble Christa and I decided now was the time to do it. We called Joel, our wild life "expert" and left a message telling him we were catching him. We recruited the two people from the beach who had been watching him and told them what the plan was. Christa cut into the woods and took a long detour around the eagle back to her truck where she got a blanket. She then walked towards the eagle from one side while I circled up and got between the eagle and the woods, the volenteer boy went straight forward from the other side and the volenteer girl went between him and the ocean (we basically surounded him). The eagle knew he was in trouble and his only hope was to get to the woods and in a tree. So he came waddling at me with claws, beak and wings flapping. I easily stepped out of the way because he was so weak and he really didn't want to hurt me, just to scare me. His plan worked and he was in the woods but he was too weak to get in a tree. We followed him and tried to throw the blanket on him a few times with no success, he was able to pull it off his head time after time. Eventually, and sadly, he got his injured wing stuck on a branch. At this point in time he tried fighting us as best he could by fliping on his back and snapping at everything within his reach with his talons and beak. Christa tossed the blanket over him and this time he just gave up and sat there. Joel showed up at this point in time and went back to the truck and got the dog crate. Christa grabed the eagles feet, joel grabed his head and they placed him in the dog kennel, shut the door and that was how we captured a wild eagle.

Ashley

Bengalz
08-14-2007, 09:28 PM
What spectacular scenery! And your eagle is just amazing. You are so fortunate to have this opportunity and I can certainly understand your sentiment about wanting to stay 'forever'. I'm sure your life perspectives have taken on new meaning. I really admire the work you're doing and the choices you've made :)

Thank you for sharing with us, Betty

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Christa tossed the blanket over him and this time he just gave up and sat there.

Christa grabed the eagle's feet, Joel grabed his head
and they placed him in the dog kennel,
shut the door and that was how we captured a wild eagle.

:rolleyes:

A Textbook Capture, huh?

Did the poor thing ever try to *wave* his White Flag?

Hope he gets a Window Seat on the flight.

;)

cyber-sibes
08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow! Catching a wild eagle is certainly more exciting than my usual day! Gorgeous photos, I can see why you want to stay by that beautiful little lake for the rest of your life. I'll drop by for a cup of coffee (heck, I'll even make the coffee!) What a great experience for you. How much longer will you stay there?

Aspen and Misty
08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
:rolleyes:

A Textbook Capture, huh?

Did the poor thing ever try to *wave* his White Flag?

Hope he gets a Window Seat on the flight.

;)

Not at all! He was very fiesty through the whole thing untill the end when we finally got the blanket on him. Although, when we got him in the kennel and settled in, we tried to take the blanket and he refused to let it go, I guess he thought a complimentary blanket came with the free flight he will be recieving. He is flying out on a 6 passanger plane with no cargo hold. So this eagle won't be stuck under a plane, oh no! This eagle is flying first class!

cyber-sibes - I'm not a huge coffee drinker but if you are offering to make hot coco just stop on by!! LOL, I'm here untill September 27th and I arrived June 4th. It seems like every day in haines something new is happening. So far I have helped catch an injured owl, raven and now the eagle. I walk out of my apartment and there are moose in the street. The common talk at the bakery every morning is who saw what kind of bear in there yard. It's an amazing whole new way of life. Its the kind of place that you visit once and envy the people who get to enjoy it everyday. Even if it takes me till I'm 60, I'm going to live here, I couldn't imagine a better place in the whole world.

Karen - It was really sad to see him in such bad shape. The poor guy isn't the normal white of an eagle but more like a mixture between brown and yellow. They say eagles spend more time cleaning themselves then eating, I don't know if it's true but the certainly are very attentive to how they look so I can only imagine how sick this little guy must be in order to allow himself to get so dirty and covered in bugs.

He flys out at 8:15 tonight, a few more hours and he will be in the hands of people that can really help him.

Ashley

anna_66
08-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Wow Ashely, what an exciting story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I can see why you'd like to live there:)

lizbud
08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for sharing pictures of the eagle. I felt like I was right there for
the capture. :) Really hope the Rapture Center can fix him up. It's so neat
to share this experience with us.

jennielynn1970
08-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm here untill September 27th and I arrived June 4th. It's an amazing whole new way of life. Its the kind of place that you visit once and envy the people who get to enjoy it everyday. Even if it takes me till I'm 60, I'm going to live here, I couldn't imagine a better place in the whole world.
Ashley

Those pictures of the scenery are just amazing. And the eagle. Wow! That poor guy. I hope that lump on his chest can be taken care of.

What do you plan to do after Sept. 27th?? Is there any way that you can stay there and work, or are you interning and you have to leave at a certain time? I don't know the story of you getting there... sorry! Does the place where you are have the option to hire you full time?

pitc9
08-16-2007, 07:28 AM
WOW!!! :eek:

Amazing pictures!!!

I pray the Eagle makes a full recovery!

Killearn Kitties
08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
What stunning photographs. It looks such an amazing place.

I feel a bit nervous sitting here with that eagle's beady eye on me. I just can't imagine grabbing it and stuffing it in a box! :eek:

cassiesmom
08-16-2007, 10:36 AM
these are wonderful, thank you so much! My mom and dad visited the Alaska Raptor Center on their trip there.

Randi
08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
What a beautiful scenery, and that eagle is gorgeous, glad you were able to capture him and get him cleaned up. :) Well done!!

Ginger's Mom
08-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Beautiful pictures (both of the scenery and of the eagle), and great pictures! You are doing great work up there, Ashley, and I am so happy that you are not only getting this experience, but also remembering to share it with us. :)

Anita Cholaine
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Those pics are stunning! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us ;)

Aspen and Misty
08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
What do you plan to do after Sept. 27th?? Is there any way that you can stay there and work, or are you interning and you have to leave at a certain time? I don't know the story of you getting there... sorry! Does the place where you are have the option to hire you full time?

I plan to go back to Atlanta GA where I'm from. I am an intern for the American Bald Eagle Foundation. They bring in 2 interns every season to help them run the museum during "cruise ship season" once the cruise ships stop coming (Sept 16) half the town shuts down (including the Foundation) so there isn't much work, if any. The foundation provides me with free housing right now, but during the winter they shut down the apartments
(drain the pipes, cut off all electricty, etc) so during the winter I would have no where to live if I tried to stay. Right now they don't have the option to hire me full time, although they are looking for an intern hire for next summer and I'm seriously considering applying for the position.

Killearn Kitties - Even though he was pretty weak, he put up a good fight. Eagles beak and tallons are not something I hope to come up against again!

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I will continue to share pics and stories with you as the summer goes on!

Ashley

Cinder & Smoke
08-16-2007, 08:19 PM
I am an intern for the American Bald Eagle Foundation.
They bring in 2 interns every season to help them run the museum during "cruise ship season",
once the cruise ships stop coming (Sept 16) half the town shuts down
(including the Foundation) so there isn't much work, if any.

:confused:

Who hangs around to put on the annual "Alaska Bald Eagle Festival" from
November 7-11, 2007?

Web page >>> http://www.baldeaglefestival.org/info.html

Looks like a pretty Big Deal - who runs it if "half the town shuts down" after Sept 16?

wolf_Q
08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Beautiful photos!! Mind if I come visit you? ;) I'd love to climb to the top of that mountain too. :D Looks like you are having a great time! I hope the eagle recovers too, what a stunning bird.

Cinder & Smoke
08-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Where's da BIRD??

"Haines, the Eagle", not so happily *stuffed* into his Dawg Crate / Eagle Limo ...
made it safe & sound to Jaimie Sorg's care at the Juneau Raptor Center.

Here's the first of I hope many Hospital Progress Reports on "Our Bird" >>>

"I do think it's a male, and so far he exhibits all the signs of what we call a "failure to thrive".
Very underweight, muscle atrophy, bright-grass green mutes, and a voracious appetite.

So far, he is doing well eating as much fish as I can put in front of him.

Take care and I'll be in touch with an update to all this.......
/s/ Jaimie Sorg, Juneau Raptor Center
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in contributing some funds to help support Haines' "overhaul and tune-up"?

I'm sure the Raptor Center would appreciate some donations towards his care.
Think about it and post your thoughts.
Meanwhile, a few PT Prayers would help him a lot!

/s/ Phred

Aspen and Misty
08-19-2007, 05:54 PM
"I do think it's a male, and so far he exhibits all the signs of what we call a "failure to thrive".
Very underweight, muscle atrophy, bright-grass green mutes, and a voracious appetite.

So far, he is doing well eating as much fish as I can put in front of him.

Take care and I'll be in touch with an update to all this.......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in contributing some funds to help support Haines' "overhaul and tune-up"?

I'm sure the Raptor Center would appreciate some donations towards his care.
Think about it and post your thoughts.
Meanwhile, a few PT Prayers would help him a lot!

/s/ Phred

Wow Phred!!! I can't beleave you contacted them! Thats so cool of you. We have been keeping a pretty close eye on this guy, I'm sure there sick of hearing from us, lol. Hopefully they will fix him up and get him back here asap. His poor mate sits on the beach and crys for him. :(

As for your question about the Festival, well you have asked the right person! The American Bald Eagle Foundation acctually host and runs the fesitval. The festival is a HUGE deal around here. We start planning it January 1st and don't stop till it's over and everyone has packed up and gone home. The half of town that shuts down are the tourist attractions. Shops, tour companies etc. close down and there workers go back down to there home in the lower 48. While this may not seem like a big deal it is in a small town. Chilkat Guides (a tour company in town) alone brings in almost 200 employees from out of state every year. Since there are only 2,500 residents of Haines, thats a lot of people to leave in one months time. Not to mention that there are at least 5 or 6 other tour companies in the small town, most who survive off of bringing people in from out of state. The shops that sell trinkets and souvaniers shut down at the end of the tour season, no need for them to stay open. The grocery store, Quick Stop (mini-mart) and most restaurants stay open all winter. The bars are definitly open, they make tons of money being one of the only things you can do when theres 6 to 7 feet of snow (no joke) outside. As for the foundation, we close down the last day of Sept and open up for Festival week and then shut back down.

wolf_Q - You can come only if you bring Nebo and Keva! They would love it here, there are about a million huskies just runnin around this town :)

Ashley

Cinder & Smoke
08-19-2007, 11:24 PM
"Haines, the Eagle" got this Sunday evening Hospital Report >>>

"Our boy has some breathing issues as of late this afternoon,
a deeper gaspy rhythm going on.

He is being treated with two drugs, first is a antibiotic called "baytril".
It's an injectable at about $ 50.00 a bottle with probably 20 injections depending on amount.

He is also getting a oral antifungal called "sporonox" at (memory a bit faulty) $ 136.00 a bottle and about 30-40 doses a bottle.

Since bringing him into the clinic he has also been given lactated ringers ( hydration fluids) subcutaneous at $ 10.00.
/s/ Jaimie Sorg"

GOLL-EE!
Eagle Tune-Ups aren't cheap!
Sounds like Our Boy could use some PT Prayers!

Hang in there, Haines ... we're all *rootin* for ya!

;)

Aspen and Misty
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
My donation is in the mail and on the way! Poor lil' guy!! Phred, how do you get updates before we do :p LOL. Hopefully he will get better soon and be back souring the skies of Alaska with his mate who misses him dearly.

Ashley

Cinder & Smoke
08-21-2007, 06:36 AM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Sad news came in last night from Jaimie Sorg at the Juneau Raptor Center ...

"I have nothing good to report tonight.

Our boy, "Haines", died this afternoon. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

He acted better this morning, but that's the way with wild animals, they don't show you weakness. I can't tell you exactly what killed him except it was in his lungs or airway."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANY THANKS to Ashley, Jaimie, and Janet for ALL that you guys did
for "Haines" --- I'm sure he appreciated your kind efforts.
(Not every Eagle gets to go for an AirPlane Ride!)

The next time you see a Bird's Shadow *swish* across your lawn;
It's probably "Haines", goin Fishin at The Bridge.

Soar High, Haines ~ You've got the Wings of an Eagle.

Rest In Peace http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donations, In Momory of "Haines", will be appreciated by:

Juneau Raptor Center
PO Box 34713,
Juneau, AK 99803
Please: CHECKS ONLY - they can't process Credit Cards or PayPal.

KittyGurl
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow, those pictures are absolutly beautiful! What an amazing place.

Great job with catching the Eagle. Crossing fingers for a whole recovery! Prayers coming to the stunning Eagle.

Thanks for sharing!

Aspen and Misty
08-21-2007, 01:10 PM
I opened my email and got the same news. I feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks. It's hard to think that the eagle I helped early in this week has passed away. I really cared about that guy and wanted to see him back in the wild. :( :(

Poor Haines, may he rest in peace and his mate find some comfort in the fact that we tried to help. I just wish I could let her know...

:( Ashley

KittyGurl
08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I am so sorry:( You must be so sad. Everyone wanted to hear he was better and out flying in the wild. You did everything you could and he thanks you for that...