PDA

View Full Version : New Camera?

Queen of Poop
08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, on the Canon Powershot S5 IS digital camera?

I've got one on hold and will be going to check it out after work today.

My old camera won't sync with my Mac so I'm going to get a new camera, provided it comes with software that will work on the Mac. Then I can post away many, many photos of Miss Sasha.

Catlady711
08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure about the S5 specifically, however I'm the proud owner of the S1 & S3 and have used the S2 also. I love all the S series Canons so far. They are easy to use, lots of features for the price, comfy fit for my hands, take great pix, and I can afford them. LOL

Myself personally I don't think it's all that great of an improvement over the S3, you might want to check out these reviews and see what you think for yourself and your type of photography.

S3 review - Steve's Digicam (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html)

S5 review - Steve's Digicam (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_s5is.html)

Depending on what you're wanting from a camera, you might just as far ahead to get the S3 while the prices are dramastically dropping then use the money you saved for a ton of memory cards and extra rechargeable batteries.

From what I've read biggest changes from the S3 to the S5 are:

face recognition focusing
1/2 inch larger LCD screen
2 more megapixels
faster shutter speeds
hot shoe for flash
higher ISO (although anything over 400 is a waste if you ask me as it's too grainy looking)

Other than those it's basically a repackaged S3 from what I can tell.

Read the reviews, think about what you want out of a camera and how you plan to be using it, then make a decision based on that.

For myself I'll hold out for the S6 ROFL :p

Toby's my baby
08-15-2007, 12:40 AM
I have the S2 and am pretty happy with it. As I get more into photography it is not up to par on what I would want, but what I want is unaffordable to me. :p I messed around with an S5 the other day, and I LOVED it. It was so much better than my S2, with a lot more settings. www.dpreview.com is a great site so I would check it out on there. :) Good luck!

Jessika
08-15-2007, 02:59 AM
It's a Canon, so it automatically gets two thumbs up from me!! Every Canon I've had the pleasure of owning or using has nothing but good review from me :)

Queen of Poop
08-15-2007, 09:12 AM
I did some research on a Canon forum and there wasn't much good said about the S5. But they had alot of good to say about the Olympus SP550, which I bought after visiting the camera store. Wow, so many neat things it can do. And it is totally compatible with my Mac. It also has 18 times zoom. I was practicing taking pictures of Sasha last night, she was NOT impressed.

Thanks all for your comments.

Catlady711
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Glad you found a camera that suits your needs, your computer, and you are happy playing with. We'll be expecting pix very soon. lol