PDA

View Full Version : Then there's Japan...Biker fails to notice missing leg

Catty1
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Biker fails to notice missing leg

2 hours, 20 minutes ago

TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese biker failed to notice his leg had been severed below the knee when he hit a safety barrier, and rode on for more than a mile, leaving a friend to pick up the missing limb.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 54-year-old office worker was out on his motorcycle with a group of friends in the city of Hamamatsu, west of Tokyo, on Monday, when he was unable to negotiate a curve in the road and bumped into the central barrier, the Mainichi Shimbun said.

He felt excruciating pain, but did not notice that his right leg was missing until he stopped at the next junction, the paper quoted local police as saying.

The man and his leg were taken to a hospital, but the limb had been crushed in the collision, the paper said.

CathyBogart
08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Hooray adrenaline?

Jessika
08-14-2007, 11:47 AM
How do you not look down at your leg after you hit something that caused "excruciating pain"? I mean, even minor injuries that I get, it's just habit to at least glance at the area. I don't even think about doing it, I just do it, lol. Probably thanks to the many nights sleeping with Double-Oh attacking our feet when we roll over in bed and waking up with blood on the sheets... got me into that habit.

CathyBogart
08-14-2007, 11:50 AM
You don't want to look down while you're riding. You go where you look, so if you look down....

The rear brake provides only about 20% of the braking power, and a lot of people don't use the rear brake, so I can see how he wouldn't notice a difference in how the bike handled.

Jessika
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
You don't want to look down while you're riding. You go where you look, so if you look down....

The rear brake provides only about 20% of the braking power, and a lot of people don't use the rear brake, so I can see how he wouldn't notice a difference in how the bike handled.
Well I understand that, but at least glance, or pull over, or something.

RICHARD
08-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Bikers! :eek:

THat always happens in Japan, I remember reading about a guy in a truck that lost his arm driving down the street, the same way.

He hit something and toodled along until he noticed his arm was missing.

Your right foot brakes, left shifts-unless you ride a Triumph or you are missing a limb.

I guess motorcycles are dangerous! :confused:

CathyBogart
08-14-2007, 11:59 AM
He only went down one intersection, maybe he was looking for a place to pull off.

RICHARD
08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
The news just reported a woman who was driving drunk with some friends in the car.

They drove along until they found out that one of the passengers was dead!

They think that he had hung his head out the window and hit his head on a street sign.

--------------

I say sue the car and motor cycle companies for not placing a sticker that says "keep arms and legs inside a moving vehicle".
:rolleyes: