PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Precious has stomatitis gingivitis!

catmandu
08-13-2007, 06:00 PM
What are the things that I am going to have to do other than give her the medications?
Do you recommend the removal of her teeth?
I am so sad that my Precious Tiny Woder is ill. I know Shemp Angels moved in to keep her company and John Hancock has been besde her bathing her and even Princess had buried the hatchet and bathed her.
I am going through My Cat Fancys but help will be greatefully accepted by Cat Guardians who have been through this.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu//th_cats101791.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/?action=view&current=8e1904fe.pbw)

kb2yjx
08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Gary, never had a cat with that! What did the vet say????Prayers for Precious and YOU!

Pawla
08-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Wish I could help, but all I can offer is prayers for your Precious girl.

phesina
08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Prayers are coming from us, too.

Love, Hugs, and Purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

Catty1
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi, Gary:

I posted this in the other thread. Please ask your vet about more treatment...though I think the meds should do the job if the teeth are clean.

I THINK I heard about something that is good for cats' teeth if you put it in the drinking water...don't recall what it is.

But you might want to get some Hills or other good Dental Food for all the Found Cats to have as treats, to help clean their teeth(you don't want to face this again! :) ). If you can find a good online deal on Greenies, use them too.

Just give your vet a call, and double check.

WHAT IS GINGIVITIS?

Gingivitis is the inflammation and infection of the gums due to both plaque and tartar buildup on the teeth. It will be evident by the gums being red and puffy, and they may be bleeding. The cat may show signs of having a sore mouth, drool more than normal and have bad breath. If left untreated gingivitis will lead to periodontitis. Gingivitis can also cause cavities along the gum line called neck lesion. These are very painful and should have fillings put in them or the teeth will be lost to decay.

WHAT IS PERIODONTITIS?

The bacteria that get under the gum line and cause gingivitis, if not treated, will cause deeper infection and breakdown of the structures and tissues that hold the teeth in the root socket. This is called periodontitis or periodontal disease. At this point the gums will be receding and there will likely be some bleeding and a foul odour from the mouth. There will often be pus present under the gum. If left untreated the infection will cause the bone of the tooth socket to resorb and recede. This results in the root of the tooth becoming exposed. There is a pocket where food and bacteria collect. Soon the tooth will become loose and cause severe pain and will have to be extracted. The bacteria causing the infection can get into bloodstream causing a bacteremia or blood poisoning. This can lead to serious problems such as heart and kidney disease.

Some cats can develop another severe dental disease called stomatitis, which is the formation of painful ulcers in the mouth. This condition can accompany severe gingivitis and periodontitis, or it can occur because of other diseases such as calicivirus, feline leukemia virus, and feline immunodeficiency virus. Every cat with stomatitis should be tested for these viruses.

jenluckenbach
08-13-2007, 07:09 PM
You may need to have some or possibly even ALL of Precious's teeth pulled. Only the vet can decide which need to come out.

I have been through the stomatis with 3 of the cats. The first step is trying to control the imflamation with steriods. This usually works for a while. Sometimes there is also infection along with the imflamation that requires antibiotics. It was always hard for me to tell the difference between JUST imflamation and infection, so I always brought the cat to the vet for evaluation whenever I saw that they were not eating.

But usually, at some point the cat will need a radical dental. Amber had 2 dentals and so has Shilo. In both cases, When the vet went in the first time not all the teeth were bad enough to warrent pulling. But at the same time, they would still cause the swelling. So, when the steroids stopped working again, they needed to have the remainer of the teeth pulled.

Bonnie has had her first dental. She is doing well now with no medication, but I realize that in time she too will need more work. (She is next to impossible to pill, so she might get the steroid injections if needed).

Your best bet is to #1) watch to make sure she is eaing regularly. If she is not, then there is a good chance she has pain/swelling. And #2) have the vet do a dental taking as many teeth out as he feels is necessary. And #3) make sure to give any medicine that is needed. If you feel you cannot give pills, tell the vet!! There is usually an alternative. The steriods can be given in an injection. And antibiotics can be in liquid form, or even injectible if necessary.

I feed Shilo and Amber soft food only. Bonnie still insists on the dry food.

Laura's Babies
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Awww Gary! Don't panic yet! Catty has posted some good information and advice. A call to the vet to see what you need to do would be a good thing to do...

catmandu
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Thank You Jen . I will give recious Fancy Feast privately and Whiskas Temptations as well. I will do what ever My Vets says as I do love My Precious.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu//th_cats101791.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/?action=view&current=8e1904fe.pbw)

rg_girlca
08-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Oh Gary, prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your beloved Precious.

Catlady711
08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't always know the fancy names and dr. lingo for things. However if I understand what you are describing with the bad teeth and ulcers, does it look like this?

*graphic pix below*
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l17/Catlady711/catteeth.jpg

We had a client's cat come in a few years ago with this problem. (yes we do sometimes take pix of the animals in surgery, and they are usually under anesthetic when we do it, we take them mostly for client education to show them why preventative measures are important) anyways....

As I recall with this particular cat we had to put it on antibiotics for a week or so before we could even attempt a dentistry because of infection risk. And when we did the dentistry they had to pull several teeth and put on quite a lot of antibiotics afterwards. As I recall the cat is still around and doing fairly well last I knew although the owner is definately more concious (sp?) of the importance of clean teeth.

jenluckenbach
08-14-2007, 05:21 AM
WOW, that poor cat seems to have an EXTREEME case. :eek: :( None of mine were ever that bad.

CultureJunky
08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Oh Gary, I am so sorry to hear that Precious is ill, I don't know anything about this disease, but am sending prayers from myself, Kevin, and paws and headbutts to Precious from Jack & Sunny xx

Medusa
08-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Gary, I'm unexperienced w/this disease but my prayers are going out to you and Precious. I know that you and your vet will find the solution.

rkidsrcats
08-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Percy Peapod too has stomatitis. He goes in for regular steroid shots for now and an added round of antibiotic. Clavamox seems to work the best. Alternative is Antirobe. The steroid lasts about 6-8 weeks. I keep a very close eye on him and know the symptoms of when he needs to go in for a shot. We also weigh him every time to make sure he is keeping weight on.
I took him (and the rest of the gang) completely off any kind of treats and food other than Science Diet. And tuna (one of his favorites) seemed to really cause problems. But switching to a quality food really helped him. He does still eat crunchy food, but the smaller the bite size the better. Round pellets are easier on his mouth. He doesn't like soft meat that can get stuck in his teeth and cause pain.

He eats soft food (mixed with water so he pretty much licks it up) and has shed a couple of smaller teeth, but my vet hasn't said that it has gotten to the point of needing teeth removed.

Hope some of these suggestions help. We are sorry you have to deal with this with your little Precious.

The Tribe

catmandu
08-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Precious is going back in to have what are deemed unecessary teeth removed and to get steroid shots and to get Cans of Special Cat Food, I think the Eukanuba Vet Diet.
Thank God for my Delivery Lady Janice who brings Precios little things to keep her weight and spirits up like soup and minced chicken livers.
No wonder Precious runs to the door when Janice arrives, she doesnt even do that for me!!!

lvpets2002
08-14-2007, 12:48 PM
:( Awee poor wittle Precious.. Hope you feel better soon.. Many of Prayers & Whiskers Huggss being Sent.. Hope the Vet will get you to feeling good..

Shadowcat
08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Sorry to hear of Precious' problems. My kitty, Lil Bit had this also. She went thru 2 dental cleanings w/ no relief. The vet removed all her teeth, filled bone sockets, smoothed jaw and stitched up her gums. He inserted a feeding tube which she kept for approx. 6 weeks. As he explained to me - the cat is basically allergic to the plaque build up on the teeth - and w/ Lil Bit, the plaque would come back in a week. Rather than trying to just pacify the problem, the treatment he recommended was to eliminate the problem - no teeth = no plaque. (sometimes the irritation/ulceration gets so bad it can go down the esophagus) She did excellent thru the surgery, feeding tube, - she now eats dry food only. Has not had another problem since. Good luck -

columbine
08-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Smudge gets C.E.T. Oral Health Chews as a preventative - not sure how helpful they'd be once a cat already had stomatitis/gingivitis, but they're not hard to find (I usually order them online) and come in both fish and chicken flavors. He's never had mouth problems, but he ate only dry food until he moved in with me. When he started eating canned as well, I started giving him the chews. He can't always get his mouth around a whole one, so I cut them in half with scissors. He says the fish ones taste pretty good.

Love, Columbine