PDA

View Full Version : Primary Care Doc -- UGH!

Freedom
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I have been dissatisfied with our primary care doctor for a while. I can't find someone as close or as convenient so I keep hanging in there.

In the past, she has withheld renewing my prescriptions as I hadn't been in for an annual physical; even though she HAD been doing regular blood work to make sure the dose was correct.

Anyway, this is the latest.

Aug 2, Dad and I both went in to the lab -- TOGETHER -- for blood work. I got my "report card" in the mail last Wednesday, one week later. I don't have anything on Dad's lab work yet. So this morning I phoned the office.
The receptionist told me it can take up to 2 weeks, and I have to wait until Thursday of this week to call. When I asked if she could verify they got the lab report, she said no; they always make a point of telling patients we can't call in for blood work results, we have to wait for the "report card" in the mail. And if there is a problem, that card will say to call in to make an appointment. (All of which is true)

GRRR!!

Catty1
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I have been a receptionist in a doctor's office...this was many years ago when things were not too crowded, and I am really glad I didn't have to deal with a flood of calls regarding blood work results. I couldn't give the results anyway; only the doctor can. There are more urgent calls to deal with, and I am glad the line was free to make and take them.

I know my own doc will call me if anything is amiss. The only time I called was for blood hormone levels prior to my surgery to decide on keeping ovaries.

I agree with your doctor for witholding prescriptions if you don't come in for your physical. She wants to take care of all of your health, not just pump you with pills. I think that is a plus. If you go in for your checkup, you can review the blood results for the past few months or year.

Sorry to seem contrary...JMO.

Grace
08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Is your doctor associated with a clinic? If so, is there a medical records department?

We are with a Family Practice group. They have a lab on premises. Whenever one of us has blood drawn, we go from the lab to medical records with a written, signed request for the results to be sent to us. I even include a SASE - so there are no delays. Often we get the results in the mail before the doctor has had a chance to review them.

You have every legal right to obtain copies of any and all parts of your medical records. If you are requesting many pages, there may be a copy charge.