PDA

View Full Version : Mother of 6-year-old Indian marathoner accuses coach of torturing boy

Catty1
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/india_boy_marathoner

Mother of 6-year-old Indian marathoner accuses coach of torturing boy

2 hours, 28 minutes ago

BHUBANESHWAR, India (AP) - The coach of a six-year-old boy who ran a marathon last year in an attempt to set a world record was arrested Monday and charged with torturing the child, police said.

The coach was arrested and charged after the boy's mother said she discovered scars on the body of her son, Budhia Singh, said police official Sarat Chandra Sahu in Bhubaneshwar, the capital of the eastern state of Orissa. The boy had been living with the coach, Biranchi Das.

"Biranchi was beating him up regularly," said the boy's mother, Sukanti Singh. "He even once tied Budhia up from a ceiling fan and threw hot water on his body."

Singh became an instant celebrity in record-crazy India when he ran almost 65 kilometres at age four - a feat that also drew immediate widespread condemnation from medical officials and child-rights activists.

His mother also complained that Das was not fairly sharing the money he had earned from the boy's long-distance exploits.

"He has given me very little, but he was earning a lot of money from my son's hard work," the Press Trust of India news agency quoted her as saying in a report Monday.

Das alleges the mother was close to selling her son to another villager for $15 when he rescued the child from the slum where the family lived. The mother had supported Das's efforts to train her son in the past.

The boy was taken to a hospital for examinations and was assigned security guards after his mother claimed the coach had threatened their lives.

Das denied the allegations, calling the charges "a conspiracy against me hatched by the state government's child-welfare department."

The department had condemned the boy's participation in marathons as "torture" in May, a month before police stopped him from making a 97-km walk in scorching heat across east India.

In 2006, Singh attempted to run a 69-km marathon, sparking protests from child-rights activists. Doctors stopped him after about 65 km, when he showed signs of extreme exhaustion.

They found the child to be under-nourished, anemic and under cardiac stress.

Budhia Singh's father died when the boy was seven months old. Das, who met the family two years ago, has said he has raised Singh as his son.

RICHARD
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Now,
Let's compare kids from different countries.

I saw thE "buh-bye plane" kid on the tube again.
That kid really was a pain in the arse and of no financial gain to the family-

This kid is a gold mine!

Imagine that- The Guinness Book Of World Records-Nike- energy drinks-T.V.- radio-print ads.....

I used to walk two kilometers to school.

What another 94?

The mom needs to be put in jail for trying to sell the kid for 15 bucks-
He's at least worth 1,000.

--------------------------

I am just kidding. This is another story of people trying to use kids for their own friggin evil shortcomings.

Catty1
08-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Yup. Remember Nadia Comaneci?