PDA

View Full Version : Two Orphaned Cats - Can you Help???

Bari_d
07-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I am writing this for a cat rescue friend of mine in Akron, Ohio. We are trying desperately to find a forever home for Freddy and Puddy, whose owner died recently leaving them orphans. Please read their story and help if you can!!!

www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Thanks, in advance, everyone - I just know we can do this!

Bari and the Pride (and Eric too)!

Karen
07-28-2002, 11:15 AM
That's every elderly cat-owner's nightmare. Might there be a nursing home or some such place that needs elder-friendly kitties?

Bari_d
07-28-2002, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the idea, Karen. If anyone here knows of a home, we'd love to hear about it...and we'll certainly check our local areas!!!

Bari

moosmom
07-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Karen has the right idea. I just looked up a bunch of assisted living communities in Akron, Ohio and surrounding areas and will call them tomorrow to see if they would be willing to take in one or both of the cats.

I've done pet therapy in convalescent and assisted living communities and it works wonders!! I will let you know how I make out.

Wish me luck!! I am hell bent on finding these poor guys a home. I only wish I could take them myself. :(

Bari_d
07-28-2002, 08:43 PM
Donna, you're great! We really do hope to keep these two together if at all possible...they've been together so long - can you stress that??? thanks so much for your help!!!!

Bari

Bari_d
07-29-2002, 08:02 AM
Donna, Eric wrote me after reading your plans and had this important point...

these cats are far too shy ~~~They need a Quiet home with NO dogs ~~~ A great Idea ~ I know the nursing homes far to well ~~ The last one had Two Great cats ~~~ But these cats are a project ~~ I can't get near them yet ~~ They are loving with whom they know

So it looks like its going to have to be with someone who can work with the cats just to befriend them...not an easy placement I'm afraid. I have a couple of cats who are much the same...so shy that only I can approach them. I know how this can be.

Bari

moosmom
07-29-2002, 08:35 AM
Bari,

Thanks for letting me know about the cats. With pet therapy, you have to have cats who are outgoing, don't mind being held and love being around people.

Let me do some research on it today and I'll see if I can come up with something. These cats need a quiet, loving home with someone who understands what these cats are all about.

One thing I'd cannot emphasize enough is making provisions for pets. Alot of people get their ducks in order, i.e., a will. When making those arrangements, REMEMBER YOUR PETS!!! Ask family members, friends if it's possible for them to adopt them should anything happen to you. Put it in writing (I did!!) exactly what it is you want. Provide for their care (monetarily) in your will. Many times people think they have time to do that and put it off. Unfortunately, time does not work that way. You could die tomorrow (like that poor man did, leaving his pets in limbo). For the sake of your pets, DO IT NOW!!! Even if it's on a plain old piece of paper that's notarized.

I'll get off my soapbox now and keep you posted on how I make out.

Bari_d
07-29-2002, 09:18 AM
Donna, I couldn't agree more. We have 10 cats. We're almost 60. Our famiy is as animal crazy as we are and already have many of their own...thus the need for providing for them in our wills.

Here in Houston we have a unique lady who runs Cat Nap Estates. She cares for animals provided for in wills and has a back up system set up should something happen to her.

Thanks again for helping with Freddy and Puddy. Please feel free to correspond directly with Eric on any questions or info you get...I just stepped in because I was already a COTD member.

Bari

sammi
07-29-2002, 09:30 PM
I sure hope they can find a home together that will love them for the rest of their lives.

Eric
07-30-2002, 01:20 PM
Thank You Sammi ~My prayer also~~ This is Eric, the man who is trying to help Rescue Freddy & Puddy here in Akron, Ohio. My Email is [email protected] and my phone is 330- 864-2879. We have 14 cats we care for, and I just can't keep them myself. PLEASE if you know anyone or can link us to other sites.
Our fosters are swamped with the new Cat trap and Kill law they just passed here in Akron Ohio. www.Saveourcats.org We are trying to fight it. ~~~ If you can Help Freddy & Puddy PLEASE let me know ~~ { A special thanks to Bari D. without her help I couldn't have done this}
Thank you to Moosmom for you post

moosmom
07-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Well, I've just about exhausted all the options I had with no success :( :( . I went online and got phone numbers for shelters and sanctuaries in Ohio. Because of the new, cruel "law" on the books in Ohio, all the shelters are to capacity. I've called all of them anyway to see if there was a possibility of even fostering Freddy and Puddy until a home can be found. For the first time in my life I groveled. No can do. :(

If anyone has any other suggestions on what else I can try, other than taking them in myself, since I have 7 cats already and am in the middle of moving to Michigan, please let me know.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Eric
07-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Donna you are a sweetheart for trying. ~~ Your call gave us all a boost ~Thank You !!! ~ Akron Ohio is a tough place to be for a Cat right now http://www.saveourcats.org/ ~~~~~~~~

Freddy and Puddy Story & Photos at http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Eric
07-31-2002, 08:18 AM
We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act.

-- Charlotte Lunsford

moosmom
07-31-2002, 09:10 AM
;) Thanks Eric! It was great talking to you last night.

I have one more idea though. How about contacting one of the newspapers in the Akron area about doing a story on Freddy and Puddy's plight. As a matter of fact...since I work at a newspaper myself, I'll see what I can do from my end. The only thing I'll need is a contact person. I think if we put their story in the local area Akron newspaper, someone will come forward and offer them a forever home.

I'm on a roll again!! I love a challenge!!! :p :p

Logan
07-31-2002, 09:14 AM
I'm too far away to do anything but offer lots of prayers and hope. But best of luck to the two babies. Keep us posted.

Logan

Bari_d
07-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Good idea...a little drama might be just the thing - especially with all the controversy around the killing of all cats in the area.

http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Bari

moosmom
07-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Oh Bari, you DO flatter me so :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just talked to Eric and he has graciously offered to speak to the newspapers. I'm also going to try the local tv stations as well.

I'm off and running again! I'll let ya know what happens.:eek:

moosmom
07-31-2002, 11:55 AM
I've contacted 4 tv stations and am awaiting return calls. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

Eric
07-31-2002, 12:14 PM
Absolutily Donna ~~I am that Contact Person " Eric Schickendantz 330-864-2879 [email protected] Akron Ohio

What EVER It takes to find these guys a home !!! I can also drive then to a new home. This one we have to win !!! Every thing else is going against them right now ~~ One hell of an uphill battle ~~~ Here in Akron even kittens are going unadopted we are so overwhelmed with that new Trap & Kill law. We need a small Cat Miracle here in Akron Ohio ~~~

Please Read Freddy's Story ~~~~~ http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Logan ~Thank you for you caring words ~ Helps alot

moosmom
07-31-2002, 12:52 PM
I spoke with my editor here at the Hartford Courant about the Akron ordinance and gave him a copy of it. He is going to run something in our newspaper, for what it's worth. Just thought you'd like to know.

BTW Eric, you should be getting a phone call from a gentleman by the name of John Bell. He is the news director at Channel 19 in Cleveland. Maybe this is our saving grace :confused:

Eric
07-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Thank you Donna ~~~ I'll say a prayer that he calls ~~~

Rachel
08-01-2002, 05:27 AM
This is such a sad situation. As I have two dogs in their middle years, this is my worst fear.

Eric
08-01-2002, 12:29 PM
MOOSMOM ~~~~ Ya got through Girl ~~~ BLESSINGS TO YOU ~~~ Scott at Cannel 19 in Cleveland Ohio called me and they MAY do a story. They have been doing work with "Save our Cats" in Akron ~~~ Say a prayer ~~~~~I CAN'T thank you enough for this chance for Freddy and Puddy ~~~~~ I will keep you posted ~~~ Namaste ~
Eric

"We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act.":D :D :D :D :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-01-2002, 01:02 PM
That's such good news, Eric. Moosmom, you're an angel! I can't believe that someone won't adopt them after seeing them and hearing their story on TV. All paws, fingers & tails crossed here that Freddy & Puddy find a new forever home!

Bari_d
08-01-2002, 01:11 PM
This actually gives us some hope here...not only for Freddy and Puddy, but other cats/kittens in the Akron area to be saved!!!

Eric, I know you are thrilled with the possibility to really get the WORD out there - We'll keep praying for Freddy and Puddy and for all the precious furrbabies in similar and even worse situations there - there are hundreds dying each WEEK!!! I look forward to your next update!

Bari et al

Freddy and Puddy's story...www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Eric
08-01-2002, 01:23 PM
A Flightless Bird called Faith
began to carry boulders:
for years she took these weights
strapped between her shoulders
and as you might expect
the sweat poured like a Fountain
but only time will tell
if Faith can move a Mountain ...........

moosmom
08-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I didn't do it for me, but for Puddy and Freddy. I'm saying a little prayer that with the exposure they get on TV, they'll find a home. How can they not??? And besides, I love a challenge.

Eric, again, it was a pleasure talking to you. If they don't go along with showing the cats at their house, let me know and I'll make other phone calls to other stations. Hopefully we can find someone who's willing to do that. Also, if the lawyer gives you a hard time, call the Bar Association. Another suggestion would be to call the guy's aunt and have her present. Since she was his aunt, she should be able to call the shots at some point.

Stay safe. ;)

moosmom
08-01-2002, 03:10 PM
I spoke with the Program Director at WEWS Channel 5 in Cleveland. He said that they have a program every other Tuesday that features pets for adoption. I told him the story of Puddy and Freddy and he said that as long as the cats are healthy and don't have aids or leukemia, they will feature them on their next program!!!! I gave him Eric's number and am waiting anxiously!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-01-2002, 04:10 PM
That's wonderful news, Donna! The more the word can get out about these two, the more likely they will be adopted. Thanks for doing all the "leg work" on this. You're really a savior and I don't know how you're going to give all this up once you move to MI. Seems you really thrive on it. :)

moosmom
08-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I do thrive on it. But I also am burned out. I've been in animal rescue for 4 years and have fostered ALOT of cats (my back bedroom has been referred to as the kitten room and has almost never been without a cat or kitten in it.) I also did alot of PR work for a rescue organization here in CT. My kid was shocked when I told her I'll be glad when I move to Michigan and leave all the rescue behind me. Now, whether or not I volunteer at a shelter when I get there is totally another story :D . But for the time being, I'm going to take a long needed break.

Eric
08-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Well ~~ the News is mixed ~~ the head of the Cleveland Animal Protective League called. they do the show on cannel 5 News and they are NOT a no kill facility. Anyway Freddy and Puddy would have to go to there facility ~In cages for 30 days and then go on the program ~~ Can I get them over there shyness ?~~~ Not sure ~ these babies are shy the have lived all there lives in the country home with there now deceased dad of 72 years. they are sill in that home with the 85 year old Aunt caring for them. What to Do ~~ The house is selling and the Cats have to go ~~~~ I still have some time ~~ Not much ~~~~ I don't feel right on this one ~they have never been in cages before ~They have each other in a surrounding the know, there life will be in turmoil all to soon ~ I was hoping to let them stay at there home til I find them a forever home ~~Not a cage ~~It is all about Quality of Life for me ~There must be a better way ????????? Eric :confused:

Bari_d
08-01-2002, 09:01 PM
We need a temporary home for these two - a safe house where they can stay until we have time to find a forever home. Cages for these two for 30 days might kill them. I'm sorry, but we have to hope for more. Surely someone up there can take them temporarily!!!!

Eric, what is the timeframe for closing of the house?

Bari

Eric
08-01-2002, 09:39 PM
Freddy and Puddy's house is being sold by the Attorneys ~ I think "Ray" the deceased man owed money for care while dying of cancer ~~ The state of Ohio has some claim ~~ Just don't know ~~ It could be a week or a month ~~~ I have found a shelter in Ashland Ohio that will help. I still have Hope for Donna's {Moosmom} friend at channel 19, different than Channel 5 ~~~ I will speak with him soon. Donna is still working on this ! ~~~ I have been Emailed from people who are trying to help {Thank You}~~ Some really great people ~ :)

moosmom
08-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Eric and Bari,

I whole heartedly agree with you. The cats would probably become very depressed if they aren't already from the loss of their human. Being in a cage is no quality of life for these babies. I wish there was something else I could do. Eric, I say go with your gut feeling. :( Unfortunately time is of the essence and I will not be out in Michigan until September 1. My furniture won't arrive for 5-7 days after that.

There is another cat site I can try to see if anyone there is from the area that might be able to foster them until a home can be found. I've tried calling shelters in the area to see if they have any foster homes available and they don't. Kitten season is tough. Especially this year since the weather was so mild. That's why we're inundated with kittens.

Oh and BTW Eric, that guy from Channel 5 never called me back. I'm going to try and give him a call tomorrow when I get into work and see what he can do. I'm not sure, but our television news director who gave me the stations phone numbers I think is from around the area. If so, his father feeds feral cats near his office (he's an attorney). Maybe he can do something. I'll find out more when I get to work.

I'm sorry the tv stations didn't work out. Imagine that, keeping these babies in a cage for 30 days. That's bull!!

:(

Bari_d
08-01-2002, 09:53 PM
You're working so hard and I know your own life is busy now...thanks from the bottom of my heart - and Eric's too, I know.

It really looks like we are close!!!! There has to be an answer. Maybe in some of the emails Eric is finally receiving...Don't lose faith...we have a bit of time and, Donna, you've already come up with another possibility or two...

When in doubt, punt!

Bari

sasvermont
08-02-2002, 05:31 AM
Such a frustrating situation. Have you tried contacting retirement communities, to see if there is an older person who would like to take over the care of these two furry friends?

Also, having seen some older cats at the shelter where I volunteer, they do tolerate cages when they are placed in the same cage and given enough room with their old bedding. I am sure they are not happy, but they survive the experience. The shelter where I volunteer is very nice and is a no kill one. They treat their residents with such care and concern. That is not to say that these two cats will be ok with a cage. You guys know them, I don't!

I hope all works out for these guys!

Keep us posted. I wish I could help. Living in Vermont isn't much help for you.

:(

Rachel
08-02-2002, 06:47 AM
God bless you for the work you are doing.

moosmom
08-02-2002, 07:20 AM
I started a thread at another cat site in the hopes that someone from the area would see it and call. Eric, I also listed your phone number and e-mail. Please keep me posted.

Bari_d
08-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Hey Donna, don't you know it's cold and snows a lot in the winter in Michigan???? Connecticut is mild in comparison!!! And, this bald dude you mention...I hope he appreciates you for who you are! Pretty impressive after all!

Bari

Eric
08-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks to all the wonderful people who have Emailed me with there Kind words and prayers, and are trying to help Freddy and Puddy. It gives me strength to know you are out there~~ Sad to report no real progress ~ Just another hot day in Ohio ~~ All I know is ~ Freddy and Puddy will NEVER be put down ~~ If they have to stay in my bedroom ~ I have found a few fosters ~~ But they would have to be caged ~~I am still holding out for that " Forever Home" PLEASE Understand !!!!!! and please forward there story, to those that could help ~~ http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act

moosmom
08-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Thank you Bari. Actually, my sister said that because we're in the lower peninsula, it's milder. She said it's probably the same as Connecticut. WHO CARES!! I'm outta here anyway!!! And the bald dude, MooShoo (picture below) has a little jacket and sweater to keep him warm and his mama to sleep with at night. Besides, I don't have to pay for the heat in my new place so I can keep him toasty warm.

Eric, hang in there buddy. I'm going over to the other site to see if there have been any replies. If WE have anything to say about it, they will NEVER see the inside of a cage.

Bari_d
08-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Donna, what is MooShoo???? I've never seen another baby like him! I sure am glad he's going to have his Mama to keep him warm..and he may need more than one sweater! LOL

We do, of course wish you and your entire "family" the best with your move. I trust you'll still be out "here???"

Bari

moosmom
08-02-2002, 03:17 PM
Bari,

MooShoo is a Sphynx. He was rescued along with 6 other of his siblings from his breeder. She left them with her Alzheimer's mother while she went off to judge a cat show in Canada (she lives in NY). All the cats (they were babies at the time) had a herpes virus in their eyes and it went untreated. Out of the 7 Sphynxes rescued, Moo and another kitty, Pixel, were the only survivors. Moo is blind in his right eye and has very limited vision in his left (scar tissue left by the virus). Believe me, that does NOT stop him. He's a ball of fire. I have never had any cat quite like him. He's almost like having a small dog cuz he loves going for rides in the car (although that may change once we get to Michigan :rolleyes: ) and he LOVES being around people. He's also very loyal to me. He an awesome cat.

And yes, once I get there and get my stuff from the movers, I will be back here and let you know about my little "adventure":p This place is like my second home now.

Eric
08-03-2002, 04:48 PM
Sad News ~~ We had to rush Freddy to the Akron Veterinary Emergency Center this Morning ~~ We have one sick kitty ~keep all of you posted ~Freddy now needs your Prayers ~~

moosmom
08-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Eric,

What happened?? If you need anything, please call me! I will be glad to send you a donation towards Freddy's vet bill since the scumbag lawyer will only put out money to have the poor babies euthanized (Guess he doesn't want to infringe on his fee, piece of garbage :mad:. Let me know if there's anything I can do on my end. My prayers for Freddy are a given.

AmberLee
08-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Prayers from my little part of California, too...

Eric
08-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Thank You ~~ Freddy is resting tonight ~ stable ~ will know more tomorrow ~~Poor little guy has been through so much ~ :(

Eric
08-04-2002, 09:40 AM
I do not have good news today ~ Freddy had a blocked Bladder, which is now open. But he has Kidney failure and was put in an Incubator this morning ~~ This poor baby has been through so much ~ Puddy is now lonesome for Freddy, but at least she is doing well. May stories unfold like this, Each day somewhere in this World.
As a Rescuer , I understand you can't save them all ~~~ This is so personal for me ~ This one hits home hard !!
We will know more by tonight ~~ Please say a special prayer for little Freddy ~~~

Freddy & Puddy's Story http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm:

Pam
08-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Oh my! I just picked up on this thread and I must say I am so touched by the tireless energy of you Eric, Moosmom, Bari and others who fight each day on the behalf of the furry ones who can't fight for themselves. There have been so many 'ups' and 'downs' here and it seems that we are at a new level of 'down.' Prayers are on the way for this whole situation and for Freddy now in particular. I will follow with interest and hope.

Eric
08-04-2002, 10:08 AM
Yes this one goes right for the Heart strings ~ Thank You Pam.
Bari & Donna had been only strangers a month ago ~ Now they are like Family :)

moosmom
08-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Oh Eric,

I am so sorry to hear about Freddy. I thought for sure I would wake up this morning and find good news.

People ask me why we can't just say no. That is not how we are. My heart is breaking for both poor babies. For Freddy because how sick he is and for Puddy because she is probably depressed without her companion, and for BOTH for losing their human. It is so difficult to comprehend why this is all happening. I'm praying for both Freddy and Puddy. May they both find some kind of peace in their lives soon. :(

Bari_d
08-04-2002, 11:34 AM
All our hearts and prayers I know are with this little guy. Keep them coming...God bless you all.

Eric asked that I put Freddy's photo here for ready reference. Pam, I don't know how to just paste a photo without people having to open it...if you or anyone else can, would you please do so???

Bari

Freddy and Puddy's web page: http://www/cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Pam
08-04-2002, 11:43 AM
http://www.cathappy.com/images/Rescue1%20photos/Eric%20Freddy%204.jpg

Pam
08-04-2002, 11:45 AM
http://www.cathappy.com/images/Rescue1%20photos/Eric%20Puddy%202.jpg

sasvermont
08-04-2002, 01:22 PM
Eric, these two kitties aren't that old. Gosh, the shelter where I volunteer has placed cats as old as 13. They use a sliding scale fee for the new owners and the older the pet, the less the fee, so some of the older cats go for almost free! There are fewer cats up for grabs around here and almost no kittens! I think the situation is more than ideal for strays and unwanted pets. The more rural you get in Vermont, the more the need for homes.
The shelter where I volunteer is in Chittenden County, the home of many politicians, doctors, lawyers, etc. and they support the shelter 100% - And yet shelters only 1/2 hour anyway, don't have any money, can't place their animals, and have near shut downs often. Some have gone out of business completely!

Anyway, I wish I could help. I think with a great deal of luck and the right timing, someone will take these two.

Being only 4 is something they have going for them! I think they will adjust, many cats do.

If I can help, let me know. Gosh, what a situation. I will put on my thinking cap, as many of us have done in the past.

I will keep positive thoughts going your way. If you need money for the Vet, let me know, and I too will send something to the Vet for expenses.

SAS

Eric
08-04-2002, 05:58 PM
I just can't thank you enough Pam ~~~ I wanted those photos displayed so badly ~~~ All the sweet people who have helped, hard to believe.
I sure have seen worse, but for some reason this has been my waterloo as a Animal rescuer. Just can seem to get a win here, just bad news. ~~ Blessing to you ~~ Namaste ~ Eric ~ Freddy & Puddy

I will have an update anytime ~~~And thanks to Sasvermont, Moosmom, and others for offers of money ~ We are working on the Attorneys with the estate {what it is} for Vet bills {over $1000} so far. This poor old lady who is the Aunt, is on fixed Income. The deceased Owner of Freddy & Puddy, "Ray" would have wanted the money spent on his Fur Guys. But many greedy hands have other plans :mad:

Bari_d
08-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Eric, with all you have done for these two, you know you have friends out here...Long distance maybe, but friends all the same. We'll help with the vet bills...just keep us posted.

Bari and the Pride

Eric
08-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Thanks Bari ~~ I spoke with my Friend an Attorney ~ and the Vet bills should have to be paid out of the Estate ~ The Cats are part of it ~ Living in the house that is for sale in that Estate ~ I am not sure ~~ But if they don't help the cats ~ Freddy isn't going to be the only one Neutered ~~~ Lol ~~~:D

Freddy is holding his own at 7pm Sunday ~ still only 50% chance ~ could be worse !

MaxandMinniesMom
08-04-2002, 10:38 PM
My prayers are with both Kitties.

Eric
08-05-2002, 07:34 AM
Well ~~ I didn't want to face this day, I was so worried ~~~ But WE HAVE HOPE today :)

I called the Clinic and Freddy's Creatine{spelling?} kidney level was a 13 and last night a 9 ~~ now a 3 ~~~ but we still don't know if his kidneys can function on there own ~~~ We have to transfer him to Sharon Vet hospital this morning ~~ got to go I will post later ~~ Wish us luck and say a prayer ~~ at least we have a chance

Now 8:30 AM Monday morning ~~

moosmom
08-05-2002, 08:56 AM
Eric,

Check your PM's. My prayers are with you guys. I only wish there was something more I could do on my end.

Please keep us posted!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Freddy. :( Even if he does pull through he might need daily care that the elderly aunt won't be able to provide, and people will be even more reluctant to adopt a cat that needs daily care. I'm praying for little Freddy (he looks like such a little sweetie) and also that some real good news comes there way - quick - so you can tell that idiot lawyer where to go. If the lawyer doesn't come through, please post an address for donations for Freddy so those of us who have been following this story can contribute monitarily, even though we can't contribute with a forever home for these two dears.

Bari_d
08-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Hello all...Thanks again for your concern.. I just got off the phone with Eric a bit ago...the place where Freddy is now is really nice and they are keeping constant watch on the little guy. He really needs our continued prayers...he's got a bit of an uphill climb ahead of him. This has been emotionally traumatic for Eric...he's so close to this. Include him in your prayers please. You're really great people...your support is marvelous!

I have updated Freddy and Puddy's web page with notes about Freddy's hospitalization for all to follow. We can't lose sight of the fact that we still need homes for these babies. http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Hug your own furrbabies.

Bari et al

Eric
08-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Boy after all the wonderful Help, Love & Prayers ~~~ My Cats and I have decided Human Beings aren't so bad after all ~~LoL :D

At 5PM Monday Freddy is resting ~~ Will know more soon ~ the Vet will call at 7pm ohio time

Abbie
08-05-2002, 04:51 PM
Eric, it took me until today to log onto this site. Wanted you to know that you, Freddy and Puddy are all in my prayers. If you need to set up a $$ fund to help these two out, please post something here. I will definitely respond. I know how desperate the situation is in the Akron area for finding homes for all the fur babies.

Eric
08-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Abbie Wow ~~ :D Thank you for your support ~ Abbie has sent me many Emails with very useful Information for Ohio & most Important her prayers. Glad to have your post Abbie ~~ ;)

Eric
08-05-2002, 08:55 PM
9PM Monday night ~~~ Freddy is still on tubes ~~ Resting ~ the next 24 hours of flushing and then we will see if his Kidneys will work on there own ~ If they don't ~ We have some serious decisions ~~

How in the world does one decided the fine line of " Quality of Life" ~~ to be able to see through a haze of Emotion ~~ We all go through this again and again with our pets through the years. ~~

I still am encouraged ~~ This little guy has the heart of a Tiger ~ he sure has comeback from a long way down ~~~~ So I hope to bring good news tomorrow :) ~~ Eric

Bari_d
08-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Animals know when love is directed toward them...even from hundreds of miles away, we are all there for him...prayers and love to that little Ginger cat with the super smile.

We'll be here for him, thanks for the constant update, Eric...get some rest tonight!!!

Keep those Freddy prayers coming everyone. God bless.

Bari et al

Abbie
08-06-2002, 06:58 AM
Sending lots of love and prayers to Freddy. So many people I work with are praying for him too.

Eric
08-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Well the Attorney has Finally agreed to pay the Vet Bill out of the money from the house when it sells ~~ Once he realized there was more than a 85 year old sweet little old lady to deal with he thought twice :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
~~~ Thanks to all of you for offers of money ~~ I just love that we won this battle :D

sasvermont
08-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Is he doing any better today?

Eric
08-06-2002, 10:28 AM
I have called twice ~ all they say is "Vet will call" and he is resting

moosmom
08-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Eric,

Wow. What'd I tell ya bout them there lawyers, huh??? Worked for them for over 12 years. They'll part with anything but their fee. I just hope he doesn't think he can WAIT till the house is sold. Eric, I'd get it in writing.

You and the furry ones are in my prayers. ;)

Eric
08-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Well Freddy goes on his own at 6PM today ~ Catheter comes out ~~ and I pray the little guys Kidneys work on there own ~~
:confused:
WE still need a home for these Babies !!!!!!!!

sasvermont
08-06-2002, 03:19 PM
Gosh, there must be someone out there in Ohio who could take these poor cats. I know you have tried to think of a million different answers but there must be someone. Isn't there anyone in the old guy's community that could help? Did he belong to a church or some organizations? Yikes. There just has to be someone with a big, big heart!

:eek:

Bari_d
08-06-2002, 03:36 PM
But, they certainly don't need to stay in Ohio - and certainly not in Akron with its ludicrous "kill all cats and kittens law!" They would be much better off away from Akron altogether!!!

We WILL find transportation - we've already had offers for that, but in any state, in any town...if you know ANYONE with a big heart that wants more furry love in their house, PLEASE contact Eric.

Just keep circulating their web page: http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

And again, Moosmom, Pam, sasvermont, Abbie, EVERYONE out there praying...Thank you so very, very much. We will, with your prayers and God's help, solve this one yet!

Eric, my friend, I know you'll keep us posted...we love you Freddy and Puddy too!

Bari and the Pride

Pam
08-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Eric, Bari, Moosmom I am still reading, but wish I could do more! Prayers are still going up for these too and Freddy in particular!

Eric
08-06-2002, 06:47 PM
A New friend Catherine from Ashland Ohio sent me this link. A great lady helping over 30 fur guys. :) Please pass this on

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/vigil.html

National Homeless Animals' Day
August 17, 2002
Online Candlelight Vigil

Logan
08-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Eric, I know this is probably one of those "way out there" ideas and I don't even know how it works, but have you contacted "Best Friends"? www.bestfriends.org

They take in animals from all over the country........wonder if they could help?

moosmom
08-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Logan,

I thought of that too! They're located in Utah. I don't know how far from Akron it is. But it's a thought! How about it Eric?? What do ya think?

moosmom
08-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Eric,

Any word on our little buddy Freddy?? How's Puddy taking it??

Bari_d
08-06-2002, 08:28 PM
If I may respond...Eric is very worried this evening because Freddy was taken off his IV and the catheter removed. He is alone until morning, so we are praying that his kidneys will work for him.

One step at a time...if we can just get Freddy well...then back to the job of finding a forever home for the two of them.

I'm updating the web page as there is word...Thanks Donna. Eric will update us in the morning as soon as he knows something.

These are very difficult, heart wrenching hours...

Bari

Eric
08-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Hi Logan ~ Yes I have belonged to Best Friends in years past, a Great Organization ~ they even sent a post card from Utah to me about the Cat Law in Akron ~~ They do wonders for animals ~ There is one closer, in Penn. not sure where. Also Delta Rescue ~~ But I still am hopeful to find a Home ~Maybe someone who has just lost there Kitty. I would like to see Freddy and Puddy in a Private Home. I know it is asking allot.
Still I am going to call Best Friends tomorrow and see if they can do anything. Worth a try for sure . Thanks Eric

Puddy is well ~ She wants more attention ~Sweet Baby
Will know at 7 AM how Freddy is ~~ I didn't know until late today that no staff was at the Vets tonight ~ and he was alone :( They were already closed when I called :mad:

czicat
08-06-2002, 11:20 PM
It is in sleep and rest that our bodies heal. Freddy's spirit has prevailed, and his spirit will pull him through, with perhaps a little tlc from his humans and his Puddy bud. Would the veterinarian allow Freddy a visit from Puddy in the morning? There is no stronger medicine than an old friend.

catherine

Eric
08-07-2002, 06:43 AM
Oh Hello my friend ~ :) Czicat is a rescuer and shelter in Ohio
:) ~ I am SO happy to wake up to your post Catherine. :D What Great support your advice and Email have been for us. What a good sign ~and today is cool and sunny ~ I am so hopeful today
~~ No word yet on Freddy ~ They open the phone line at 8 AM

Eric
08-07-2002, 07:11 AM
The Vet is late this morning ~~ The Vet Tech said Freddy's litter box is dry ~ NOT good new so far ~ He is alive and I am praying for good news somewhere here. Vet will call me. :(

Abbie
08-07-2002, 09:16 AM
Good morning Eric. Let's hope that Freddy's litterbox is dry just because so far he doesn't have anything to contribute -- and that he wets it down quickly! Still praying!

Eric
08-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Called again and the Vet has Emergency surgeries this AM
No word ~ They say Freddy is resting ~ she has not seen him yet. :( :( :( I sure am not resting

Abbie
08-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Eric, Another thought for when Freddy is better and he and Puddy are ready to think about moving, are you familiar with, or have you tried contacting Caroline's Kids in Cleveland? It is a pet "sanctuary"
www.carolines-kids.org pager 440-489-4708 email: [email protected]

Don't lose hope Eric. I have a feeling that Freddy is more resilient than we think.:)

Eric
08-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Boy Abbie ~ This site is so sweet ~ Wow humbled me real Quick ~~ Here is a shelter that need supplies, help and donations ~{I know they all do} I will Email her and offer what help I can~~ My friends in Ohio are going to get calls from me soon.They have money and need to help more. We need to support all life that suffers ~ sitting back and saying "How Sad" is NOT enough. You just can't go through this life wearing two catchers mitts and throw nothing back. Hope is not a course of action!!! Thank you Abbie ~ Thank you so much ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-07-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Eric
Called again and the Vet has Emergency surgeries this AM
No word ~ They say Freddy is resting ~ she has not seen him yet. :( :( :( I sure am not resting

If this were my cat I'd find another vet in a real hurry. She sure doesn't sound like she cares too much about poor Freddy. I know you think the same, Eric, but have so much on your mind right now just trying to find these guys a home, and you're doing so much already, and I'm sure your hands are somewhat tied because little Freddy really isn't yours. What a sad fate for a couple of kitties that I'm sure are the some of the most lovable around. :( Come on Freddy, you can do it! All paws, fingers, tails, and anything else that can be crossed are, and prayers and good vibes and anything else that might poor little Freddy are coming his way.

Eric
08-07-2002, 11:23 AM
HIS KIDNEYS RESPONDED ~~ he wet his blanket and ate some food :) ~~~ They are cautious though and said he is by know means out of the woods yet. His values are not up to par. ~~~~ This is GREAT news to me even though I know the baby is not well yet. All those loving prayers and love you all have sent have helped.. It could have been much worse ~ There is HOPE Today ~ :D :D :D :D

sasvermont
08-07-2002, 11:26 AM
Get your kidneys workin' fella. Gotta get well, so that we can find you a good home, together with your buddy, Puddy!

Prayers and good vibes coming your way Freddy!

=^..^=

Get well wishes from:
Sas and the cats

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-07-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Eric
HIS KIDNEYS RESPONDED

That's wonderful news, Eric!!! I'm so happy, and even though he's not out of the woods yet, here's hoping he's on his way to recovery. :)

Bari_d
08-07-2002, 11:33 AM
A step in the right direction, sweet boy!!! Eric, I know how relieved you are...a baby step forward - we'll take it! I'll post this on the webpage, and please keep us posted. God bless little Freddy cat - we love you, little guy!

Bari and the Pride

Freddy and Puddy's webpage: http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Abbie
08-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Yea Freddy! Wet, wet, wet! We know you can do it!!

And to Eric, it's true that we all need to prod our friends with money to do what they can for the animals. My particular cause is the Bide-A-Wee cat shelter in North Royalton; no kill and a wonderful place. They adopt out who they can and are very frank to tell you that some cats are just not adoptable -- sprayers, biters, whatever. They even have one that has his own room so that volunteers know to beware of him as he's been known to bite, a shy room, a community room. I just can't say enough good about the place and the wonderful people who work there. They seem to make every penny count too. We adopted our Tabitha from there.

moosmom
08-07-2002, 11:59 AM
YAY FREDDY!!!! KEEP ON WETTIN' DUDE!!

I know we are far from out of the woods right now, but hearing that Freddy's kidneys have been working is wonderful news!! Like Czicat says, there is no stronger healing power than a visit from a friend. Is there anyway that Puddy can be with Freddy during this difficult time? If they were together, Freddy wouldn't have to be totally alone in a cage.

Eric, you are one amazing person and someone I am very proud to call you my friend.

czicat
08-07-2002, 12:08 PM
hey, Freddy, your folks want you to pee... pee... pee. Let's pass some water through those kidneys, and keep your nose in that water bowl. Drink and pee and eat and sleep and heal. Look forward to going home to your Puddy. Your guy Eric and your aunt need you and so does Puddy. And we promise you, that you two kitties will be settled in a forever home where you will be safe and warm and loved and fed, and you can sit in the sun and watch the world through your very own window. :cool:

Eric
08-07-2002, 03:06 PM
GREAT NEWS ~~Freddy's BETTER !!! :D They want to release him tomorrow ~~ BUT He will be alone again tonight and they want him separate from other cats {even Puddy} for a few days ~~ Soooo I don't want him alone again tonight, and there is no good reason for him to be in a vets with no one there at night,only to leave in the morning.
If we get the ok, I want to bring him home with me, for a few days ~~~ My girlfriend and I met over an animal rescue and her sick kitty ~~ We will both be there to give him some love. I feel this is a good Idea. Boy It feel great to win one for poor Freddy {It got very dark for awhile}~~ ALL!!! MY LOVE TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE ~ without your prayers and support we would have been lost. Namaste Eric {one happy man} :D :D :D

Freddy and Puddy will still need your help !!!!!! We need that home with that sunny window to the world for Puddy & Freddy :)

Eric
08-07-2002, 03:20 PM
I am picking up Freddy at 6PM ~~~ Must rush off to get special food for our boy ~ a bottle of Spring Water ~Etc Etc ~~~ will post when I can ~~ I could just cry {tears of JOY} Thank all of you again and again ~~~ from the bottom of my Heart gang:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-07-2002, 03:37 PM
Oh Eric, I'm so happy for Freddy. :D Now all we need to do is find him and Puddy a forever home and life will be good again. Thanks for taking him in tonight. I feel better knowing that he won't be alone. And thank you for all your efforts in trying to find them a home. I just wish I could do more....

Bari_d
08-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Eric, so glad you took a sec to post so we'd know what was going on!!!! It really is just great that he'll be with you tonight - it has to have been the week from hell for the poor little guy. Give him a noserub from me and the pride!

And ditto on finding them a "furrrever" home now!!!! There has to be someone out there who will say YES to these two babies. That's how I got all 10 of my rescues...And they always say "thank you" in so many ways!

Pass the webpage to any individual/organization you can think of, PLEASE! Let's do this!

B

moosmom
08-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Eric,

You are my hero!! And your girlfriend is to be commended as well. I'm glad Freddy is going home with you. It's meant to be. I believe that things definitely happen for a reason, even though we may never know what the reason is. Give Freddy a hug and noserub from me and my group. And thanks for letting us know how everything is going.

Abbie
08-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Eric, I'm sitting here in tears after reading your message. I am so happy that Freddy is well enough to go home with you tonight. Give Freddy a scratch behind the ear for me, okay? We'll keep trying to find the right person to give Freddy and Puddy their forever home. God bless you and your girlfriend. You are both very special people.

:p

AmberLee
08-07-2002, 09:21 PM
Great news! What a relief.

Eric
08-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Sorry I wasn't posting last night. I was at Mary's, my girlfriend's, with Freddy. He rested alright but he is way too listless. He's not eating or drinking and, unfortunately, not peeing either. I'm just not sure what's wrong. Any ideas? He is just quiet, hiding under a desk, not crying out and doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't know what is normal or abnormal in this situation. I will be calling the vet again shortly. Worried

Eric

Eric
08-08-2002, 07:54 AM
Help is on the way ~~Czicat is coming from Ashland to see Freddy ~ she is a Vet Tech. I must run to meet her by the freeway in Canal Fulton ~~ Please wish us luck ~~

Bari_d
08-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for jumping in with a note...I was concerned, as I know everyone following little Freddy's situation is. We'll keep the prayers coming and hope he'll perk up.

Bari

Freddy and Puddy's story: http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Vio&Juni
08-08-2002, 09:17 AM
I cried when I read Freddy's and Puddy's story the first time.
Me and all my friends here in Chisinau are keeping our fingers crossed for Freddy and Puddy to find a forever home.
We wish them good luck :)

Abbie
08-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Eric, My guess is that Freddy is just traumatized and bewildered by all that has happened. Lost his dad, doesn't know where his buddy Puddy is, two strange vets and other strangers in the past few days, and now another one. If I were him, I'd be hiding in a dark closet.:(

czicat
08-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Eric and i took Freddy into the vet this morning because his bladder seemed to be enlarged and he was guarding his stomach area. we were concerned that something was happening inside of him and wanted to make sure he was ok. as it turns out, it was a good thing we did take him in--his bladder was full and had even torn a little, and he was leaking fluid into his abdomen. How the bladder got so full in such a short time, noone knows. He is being operated on as we speak and needs your prayers. we will update you as information becomes available. Thank you.:( :( :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Oh no! Such a terrible setback when we thought he was doing so good. Poor little Freddy. I feel so bad for him. :( I sure hope he pulls through and is able to find a forever home that will make this all worth it.

Poor Puddy too for having to be so long without her brother. :(

Chin up Freddy boy, you can do it!

moosmom
08-08-2002, 03:04 PM
czicat,

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear about Freddy. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Abbie
08-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Poor Freddy! I feel so badly that he has been through so much already, and apparently it's not over yet. He's in my prayers. I sure do hope he comes through the surgery okay and that he will be fine after this. Eric, you're in my prayers too. I can only imagine how stressful this whole episode has been, and is for you.:( :mad: :(

Randi
08-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Sorry for butting in this late. I hope Freddy will feel better after the surgery and soon be with his beloved furfriend Puddy in a forever loving home with quit surroundings. That's what they need! They both look gorgeous and deserve the very best after this ordeal. Poor kitties! :(

I take my hat of to you Eric, Moosmum and you all for the work you've done to save those two cuties. Wish I could have helped too! :)

violetrose1234
08-08-2002, 04:33 PM
I recently rescued a mother cat and her 2 kittens. I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of my neighbors and friends, who pitched in to help find homes for the cats. Maybe your neighbors will do the same.

Bari_d
08-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Randi, everyone - you still can help. There just has to be someone out there that can take them. True, we want to see the outcome for Freddy first, but please keep circulating their web page...we need prayers and the right person to see the story.

God bless all of you who are praying and holding good thoughts for Freddy and Puddy. I know this has been a very hard day for Eric, but we have to have hope for this little guy. He's fought so hard, and he's still so young.

Czicat...we all apprecite your involvement...

Bari et al

sasvermont
08-08-2002, 05:38 PM
I wonder if moving them to a different state would be wise. I just know there must be some place that would take them. As I said before, they are not that old. Four years old isn't that big of a deal.

What if we run an ad in a paper, near where they live. And then we all chip in for the cost?

Exposure is what this matter needs, and it sure does beat me as to how it could be done.

Any thoughts?

Maybe we should auction them on Ebay. Just kidding, but hey, there's some exposure for you!

How frustrating!:rolleyes:

Eric
08-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Freddy 6:30pm Thursday

How much can a poor Orange Kitty stand?? This has just been Awful !!! The news is guarded tonight. He is out of surgery and resting, and the next 24-48 hr will tell where we go from here. If this poor baby makes It. He had adhesions formed inside his abdominal wall from an accident he had several years ago, and one of them fused the bladder to the abdominal wall, and even encased his little urethra (but the urethra is still working!). His bladder was torn in three places, and urine had leaked into his abdominal cavity. The vet placed a tube in him to wash out his insides, to make sure he doesn't get an infection. His urinary catheter is back in, and will remain in for another couple of days while his bladder heals. The removal of the catheter will tell us what we need to know about the bladder and if it will work alright on its own. If Freddy gets through the next few days ok, the vet said he will probably be able to live a pretty normal life.

Please keep those prayers coming for Freddy. He's been through the mill, and he needs our strength & Prayers right now. I called Czicat and she drove 1 hour to help { she and I met only on this post before today}~ without her knowledge Freddy would have been dead. We got him to the emergency Vets right away ~ even though I was told to wait and see by the Vet on the phone ~~ I just can't thank Catherine {Czicat} enough she has a shelter and has over 30 cat herself. She was Freddy's Cat Angel today.

I don't know what else to say ~ again and again when there is a little light ~~ The bad news never stops ~~ This poor baby has fought SO hard ~ he deserves the life he has fought so hard to win ~~~~ this is so not right :(

Abbie
08-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Eric, Thanks for the update. You know we will all continue to pray for poor little Freddy.

czicat
08-08-2002, 08:19 PM
i want you all to know what a precious little kitty Freddy is. He is a gorgeous shade of light orange, with an orange nose and the green-yellow eyes your momma warned you about. He has delicate little cream colored whiskers, and you know he just loves to give kitty kisses. He is patient and tolerant and so very affectionate, even when not feeling well. A real lover!

He is a strong little cat, and his body has proven its power to heal. (The good news in all this is that his kidneys are definitely working, as he sure had a bladder full this morning.) So we all pray tonight that Freddy calls on that inner strength and spirit he has so amply demonstrated, to once again get him through.

Keep Freddy in your prayers tonight and tomorrow and send him love and strength. Eric will keep us posted on Freddy's progress. Thank you all so much for your love and support.

catherine

Logan
08-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Eric, Catherine and the rest of you, who have worked so tirelessly on behalf of Freddy and Puddy, thank you so much. I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow and won't be able to check in until Thursday. Please know that I will not forget either of them, and will keep both of them in my prayers.

God bless you.
Logan

Eric
08-09-2002, 08:34 AM
Our little Freddy had a stable night ~~ NO bad news ~~

{ to answer the Emails, why I can't take Freddy & Puddy} I fell in love with these little guys myself ~ I only wish I afford a Cat nanny ~ I travel in my business, sometimes a month at a time and live alone ~ I have to consider "Quality of Life" I won't keep cats in cages ~ My guys have full run of the house. If I take in any more Kitties ~It's not fair to the ones I have. I am overwhelmed already. ~~ and Mary {girlfriend} has more kitties than I do ~~ We can't even take a weekend off together ~ Believe me ~ My heart hurts over this ~no one really knows how much!!!! I ask myself over and over how can I keep these babies? I just took in two Coon Cats by rescue last month ~ and they need homes also. ~~ They need a forever home ~ please understand I am doing ALL I can do !!! Eric

sasvermont
08-09-2002, 08:39 AM
Eric, I too have considered taking in your two puddy tats. I have three and that is ENOUGH for me and the space I live in. I think some of us have different limits and can afford a different number of dependents. My magical number is three.

I have been trying to come up with a solution. There just has to be someone out there in your area.

What about putting/running an article in the paper? We could all chip in if there is a cost?!!!! Isn't there a newspaper around your town, with a section devoted kindness? I surely hope so.

What town/city are they in now?

Thanks...keep us posted....

(Freddy and Puddy - you are in our thoughts and prayers...especially you, the Fredster)

SAS

moosmom
08-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Catherine,

Thank you so much for making the trip. If I didn't live so far away, I would've done the same thing.

Freddy has alot of people and furry friends praying for him. With his strength and determination, I just know in my heart that Freddy will pull through this.

Hang in there, Freddy.

Eric,

What can I say?? You are an amazing person. I'm glad that Freddy is in good hands. I believe that having the support, prayers and love that everyone has been expressing is a positive thing for Freddy and will help him get well.

Bari_d
08-09-2002, 09:37 AM
Good morning all. Eric, I am glad sweet Freddy had a good night...we're all concerned about him.

There does, of course have to be a limit on the number of pets one can have - for their sake as well as your own. I know we have more than our limit - they just showed up and my husband and I can't just turn them away. Many were injured at the time they found us, some we received calls on because they were hurt and nowhere to go.

We have 10 inside and are feeding Clancy outside attempting to befriend him so we can find him a forever home of his own. We placed a friend of his two months ago in a wonderful forever home.

Then, we learned of Bailee's plight - a 10 year old who had been forced outside 5 years ago and whose family (if you can call them that) was moving and didn't want to take her. I do believe they would have just left her to roam on her own.

If you've visited our web site, you know we spoil each and every one of these guys - the deserve it.

However, Jim and I are near 60. We both work full time. We DON"T travel often (maybe once a year) because we can't find good pet sitters. Yes, we've made arrangements for them in our wills should something happen to both of us - it is very likely some of our furrkids may outlive us, and our children all have furrfamilies of their own!

The purpose of this diatribe??? I don't know when or how you come to your own limit (affordable or otherwise) on cats or pets in general...we used to think 6 was our limit - it was for many years...then we moved here where people discard cats without ever neutering them and guess who got them all. We've placed a few of them. Others (totally feral) were killed by a roaming mountain lion before we could tame them. Money? Well that's another story - but God has always provided for us and all of them too.

We do understand why all people can't have 10 cats! We appreciate what each and everyone of you are doing to circulate Freddy and Puddy's story. But it isn't working. How can almost 300 people have read their story and not one offered to take them?

We need other avenues to reach people, I guess. This is so frustrating - especially for Eric. I really thought once we got the word out in a major way to cat people, we'd find a home easily - they are precious cats!

Thanks everyone for your input, prayers and love!

Bari et al

Abbie
08-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Bari, It sure wasn't a diabtribe, just a fact of life. We've had as many as two dogs and six cats (inside) at one time. It gets overwhelming. As of the death a month ago of cat #1 we're down to two cats. I'd take Freddy and Puddy in a flash but for the fact that I am an older folk with a hubby with congestive heart failure and I just have my hands full.

One of the things I suggested to Eric -- but hasn't happened probably because he has his hands full and we don't know yet if Freddy will be okay -- was to put an ad in the classified section of www.petfinder.org. In addition to the various search features and listings by shelters, there is a section where an individual can place an ad for adoptable animals. This would certainly give Freddy and Puddy more exposure.

All we can do is keep trying!

Bari_d
08-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Abbie, you are exactly right - I believe we have to know the status of Freddy's health before Eric or any of us can put the right kind of "ad" out there for these two. Petfinder.org is a great idea, and one I know Eric agrees we should pursue when Freddy is stable.

I do so appreciate, as I know Eric does too, your imput and help. Keep the ideas coming! We'll need EVERY one of them!

I wish you and your furrfamily well. Bless you, cat friend!

B

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-09-2002, 12:38 PM
The other day when Edwina's Secretary (Sara) found new kittens by her house, I called a nearby shelter to ask questions. The lady was extremely nice and helpful, so I thought I'd call her about this.

I didn't mention that Freddy & Puddy were from Ohio because I don't know if that would make a difference (I thought it might) in whether they would accept them or not. Turns out they are a very small shelter and are actually over full as it is, so she was reluctant to take them. Said she had a waiting list for situations like this and the waiting list was 5 months out!

She was again very helpful though, and pointed me to a list of shelters in all of the surrounding communities. Once we know Freddy's status, and if those "in charge" here would like, I will start at the top of the list and call every shelter on the list to see if we could get them in. The problem is that not every shelter on the list is a no-kill, so that would have to be one of the first questions - right after "can you take them." She also mentioned that some of them are very large and might have the capacity, but then I told her that they are very shy cats and we were leary about a large shelter. She suggested that we mention that when we call and they might have suggestions. She said that some cats adapt quite easily and some take it very hard. Seeing as how Freddy has been through so much already, I don't know if I could stand seeing him in a large shelter - just another anonymous kitty. :(

She also mentioned that when we drop the cats off, we make the largest donation possible. She said the majority of the no-kill shelters get no public funding and are funded by donations alone, so this might make a big difference for Freddy & Puddy.

One other thing she asked was if they are de-clawed. She said that will usually make them easier to adopt since the new owners don't have to worry about their furniture. :rolleyes: :mad:

She was very sympathetic to the situation and would have loved to have helped, but like so many out there, she is already over-full. She did say, however, that the circumstances might help because they are not our cats, this is a rescue situation and we are trying to help - not just dump our own cats.

So, just thought I'd let you all know what I found out. :)

moosmom
08-09-2002, 01:59 PM
I made a bunch of phone calls before Freddy got sick to shelters in the immediate area who were no-kill shelters. Unfortunately, because it's kitten season, all of them were full to capacity. I also inquired about fostering them together. No on called me back. Tubby and Peanut's Mom, I hope you have better luck than I did. I would love nothing more to add them to my already full household, but unfortunately I have 6 and my landlord has put the max on that number. Besides, I also think that they need a quieter home with no other pets but themselves, considering everything they've gone through.

I wish there was more I could do from my end. If there is, please let me know. :(

Abbie
08-09-2002, 04:49 PM
I spent some time this afternoon looking at petfinder. org going through the classified ads listed by people that WANT pets. Didn't find anything of interest but went back as far as July 30th. That way in the future I can just search the new listings each day and perhaps someone will turn up who wants two adult cats. There are lots of listings but they want kittens or are very specific about certain breeds, colors, spots (good grief) and so on.

I just know that if we all try everything we can think of we will find a forever home for Freddy and Puddy when they are ready. I hope Puddy is doing okay all alone.:eek:

I wonder too if it would help -- when the time comes -- if we contacted senior citizen organizations. Through them we might find an older person (like me, like me) who would like two cats and Puddy and Freddy could live the quiet life.

Eric
08-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Hi My friends ~~~ I spoke with the vet at Sharon Center Veterinary Hospital In Medina Ohio and Freddy is one sick baby ~~ They will hold him til Monday ~~~ he is STRONG and his Kidneys are working ~ But he has been through so much~~ and we just don't know if he can find the extra life force ~~
I would give him some of mine ~If I knew How ~~~
Thank ALL of you for your efforts, I will find room for him ~If no one else will ~{not that I don't love all of you for your efforts} so don't worry about his Home now ~ just send him your prayers ~ Please !!! ~Eric

Puddy is doing very well.....

Abbie
08-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Eric, God bless you my friend. Still praying for Freddy, and for you and Puddy too. I hope he makes it. He certainly seems to be trying to hand on. Thanks for the update.

czicat
08-09-2002, 08:06 PM
come on, orange man, come on--we need you so very, very much

Eric
08-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Freddy is resting and healing in Guarded condition ~ holding his own
:)

Randi
08-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Could you perhaps have a lot of pics printed of Freddy and Puddy and put them up in the neighborhood? If people see how wonderful they are, they may not be able to resist them! :)

Keeping all fingers and paws crossed here for them!!

Thank you so much for all you're doing! :)

Miss Meow
08-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Keep going Freddy, you're almost there little one.

Eric
08-11-2002, 07:40 AM
Sunday Morning ~~ Freddy is resting and Healing ~~The Catheter will come out Monday and then we will see if the operation was successful ~ The holes in his bladder have to mend. Good news is his Kidneys work. But will his bladder work on It's Own?? ~~We don't know yet. Freddy is sedated and in no pain. I am thankful he is alive and still fighting to hold on. The big test for him will be Tomorrow ~~ It has been two weeks for this poor baby ~~~~ I am hopeful Eric

http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm {Freddy & Puddy's Story}

sasvermont
08-11-2002, 08:16 AM
Eric, you are an angel. I hope your support system will allow you to find a new home, eventually, for the Fredster and Puddy. You have spent so much energy on this problem. You should be rewarded for doing such a good deed, and someone should step up to the plate and adopt Fred and Puddy cats.

I still vote for an AD in a local paper, paid for by us, me, after the Fredster gets healed.

Most cats adjust so nicely to a new environment and if they haven't had much upset in their lives so far, I bet they would adjust to a new home in no time. I know there are cats not able to adjust, but many, many do.

Eric, please let us know if we can help you financially especially.

Get well soon Freddy!

Bless you Eric.

:cool:

moosmom
08-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Eric,

You are an ANGEL!!!! Whatever Sas said goes double for me. Please let us know if there is anything we can do, financial or otherwise.

czicat
08-11-2002, 12:46 PM
as i read these posts this morning, i'm crying. there has been so much bad news for us cat people these last few months, with akron and the cruelty case in Missouri, among others, that it does my soul good to see how much, many people really do care. these last few weeks have weighed heavily on us animal caretakers, but when we work together we've got synergy!

Freddy and Puddy have brought us together in a special way. isn't it amazing how animals work so hard to improve and enrich our lives. those of us who are lucky enough to belong to animals know how blessed we are, and we wonder how some benighted individuals can live in a world full of hate and cruelty toward these little fur children who ask nothing of us but love.

Freddy and Puddy--blessings on you for your gifts to us. all of you reading this, blessings on you for your care and concern and prayers and warm thoughts.

hang in, Freddy! we all send love and healing to you. you're gonna get through this.

catherine

Eric
08-11-2002, 05:45 PM
I wanted to have some good news for all of you on this Post. {and for me} But good news is hard to find in Ohio today ~ just another hot day and no other news on Freddy ~~~ But Bari sent me a happy ending story of "Tiger the Cat" in Arizona ~~ A beautiful story, of how sometimes against ALL odds~ a little cat does make It. I hope it makes you smile today. Love and Blessings to you all. Eric ~ Freddy & Puddy

TIGERS story
A GODSEND

My wife and I live in the Sonora Desert, approximately 30 miles north
of the Mexican border and 50 miles south of Tucson.
Due to the high elevation and our proximity to the Santa Rita
Mountains, we have a large amount of wild life here.
Everyone out here is fairly well isolated as we are separated by at
least 10 acres. Some, even more. Because this area is so extremely rural,
it makes this story even more amazing.
Seven years ago, late in the evening, I heard a noise outside. It
sounded like a cat meowing but that was something stray cats don't do out
here. Most of them are too smart to make any noise because desert cats
know that coyotes, owls and other animals of prey are their worst enemy.
I opened the back door to look around. Making her way slowly toward
me was the scrawniest, skinniest little cat I have ever seen. She was
tacking like a sail boat does when sailing against the wind, moving side to
side as she neared the sound of my voice. I thought that was somewhat
strange.
After bringing her in, she began meowing even more loudly and went
immediately to the couch, jumped up and went to sleep. I wanted to find
out more about her so I lifted her back to the floor and noticed that she
was moving very deliberately and carefully as though she was having trouble
seeing. As a matter of fact, she was blind! No injuries were apparent
other than a small cactus thorn in one of her eyes but it didn't look as
though it had done any damage.
I took her to the vet the next day and he noted that she was extremely
undernourished and had a case of ear mites that may have been two weeks
old. That gave us an idea that she! could have been wandering in the desert
for a week or more. He guessed her age at that time to be about one year.
After examining her eyes, he said she was apparently born blind because
there were no optic nerves present. Amazing that she had survived all the
wild critters out here for so long. The good Lord must have been watching
over her.
In addition to everything else, she had a severe bladder infection
that would have killed her soon, if not starvation or a wild animal.
My wife and I called every veterinarian between Nogales and Tucson in
the hopes of finding her owner. We also put signs up in the area and
checked with various pet finder organizations in Tucson, also with no
success. Perhaps someone dumped her out here in the boonies. We think she
was a "throw away".
We soon discovered that her name is Tiger, Tigger, or something that
sounds like that, because she comes running when called. And I truly mean,
running. We have opted for "Tiger".
She was probably bred to be a show cat as she is an extremely
beautiful pale gold and white -- the shades ranging from bronze to a light
tan and the huge tufts on either side of her neck are mostly white.
She follows me around like a little puppy dog and loves to play chase
with a small rope, which I drag around the house. Her hearing is acute, as
is her sense of touch. She uses those long whiskers to navigate around the
house as though they had eyes. She also loves to play "attack" where she
jumps up at me while I'm sitting at my desk chair and bites at my arms. At
that point, I'm supposed to chase her. She runs a couple of feet and comes
right back for more.
Another game that she absolutely loves ! is when I throw her straight up
in the air and she lands on the bed. She truly loves this. She continues
to come back for more. I usually get tired before she does. A very
strange cat, indeed.
Most people who come over to the house, never having seen her before,
have no idea that she is blind, especially when she gets to running between
the master bedroom and living room.
I could go on and on as far as the adventures we have had with her and
all the experiences we have enjoyed since her arrival. Someone threw her
away, never knowing the joy she could bring them. All I can be sure of is
that she has been a real Godsend.
As a matter of fact, I truly believe He did send her.

-- David P. Sader

I have Emailed David and this is just a wonderful True story ~ I hope our Freddy finds a small miracle soon also~ Namaste Eric:)

Eric
08-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Today is the Day !!!! Freddy's Catheter has been removed this AM ~~ HE is on his own!! ~~ We sure need those prayers ~~~~~
We have come to a very hard place in time with Freddy ~We have done Everything we could for him here on Earth~~If the Bladder does not hold or anything else goes wrong. Freddy has been in pain and suffered long enough. It is now up to what ever Spirit force you believe in ~~ To make this baby well and to live ~~Or ~~ He needs to go on to the next world where he will suffer NO MORE !!! This is a day I never wanted to face, but It is here none the less..... We have to do whats best for Freddy and Quality of life is so Important. Thank all of you again for your love and prayers. I want to believe Freddy can feel all the love you have sent him :)

Bari_d
08-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Hello all...I'm not able to get to a computer much this week...I'm visiting my daughter and the modem is SLOWWWW. I brought my computer, but can't gain acess to the Internet on that. So, don't take my lack of posts as lack of interest. I certainly am monitoring Freddy's progress. Eric, I hope you'll call me on my cell if anything major happens. Dear Freddy obviously remains in my prayers...

I had thought I'd be updating Freddy and Puddy's website this morning as usual, but since I cannot access the Internet, I cannot access my web pages either. I will certainly do so upon my return home next Saturday.

God bless you all...

Bari

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Oh Freddy, you know you are loved, and we'll definitely find you a forever home with your friend Puddy, but first of all you have to pull through this. Come on Freddy boy, you can do it!

czicat
08-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Dear Freddy, i am with you, baby.......XXXXXOOOOO

sasvermont
08-12-2002, 12:42 PM
(((((((((((((((Freddy)))))))))))))))))

I hope you have a speedy recovery and all your organs kick in and start working!

Puddy needs you too!

Love to you Freddy,

Sas and her three brat cats!

XOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXO

Medusa
08-12-2002, 03:14 PM
We will have a new post soon

Eric
08-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Our little Freddy Did find his forever home ~~~I am Glad and I am Sad ~~ He is no longer in pain ~~ Freddy pasted on at 4 PM Today ~ Our best efforts were not enough ~ I just buried the little guy at my backyard shrine ~~~My kitty "Fatty" who passed on Easter Sunday is buried there, so he in in good company. The best we can do is to remember Freddy and all the homeless Animals out there in this world. And when we see suffering and Injustice ~~ TRY our hardest to change It. We don't always win ~ but if we don't try they lose ~~~ We lost this time ~~ BUT the next time we could win and we WILL make this world a better place. Give your fur baby's an extra pet tonight and tell them you love them ~~ for Freddy ~~
I want to Thank all of you who followed this story ~ From the bottom of my Heart ~~ I love you all for the love you gave !!! ~~ Eric ~ Freddy & Puddy
Namaste Eric Schickendantz ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act.

Miss Meow
08-12-2002, 05:51 PM
I'm so sorry Eric.

czicat
08-12-2002, 06:50 PM
I can never lose one who I have loved unto the end; one to whom my soul cleaves so firmly that it can never be separated does not go away but only goes before.--St Bernard of Clairvaux

thanks for letting us know you, Freddy. i'm so comforted that i got to share kitty kisses with you. i am selfish, and i will miss you. help us through this, sweet pea.... catherine

sasvermont
08-12-2002, 07:39 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pc39ee86f7afa158f75ddd2f5f255f799/fd6965d8.jpg

Rest In Peace Freddy

=^..^=

moosmom
08-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Oh Eric,

I am so sorry to hear about Freddy!! At least he is out of pain. I will say a prayer for him tonight. He was such a little fighter. :(

What about Puddy? How is she holding up? I'll be in Michigan real soon. I will PM you with my new address and phone number which will be effective September 2. If she has not found a home by the time I get there, let me know. I will give her a forever home with me. She'll have to share my 1200 square foot apt. with 6 other cats. But at least she'll have a forever home and pals to hang around with. Mi Casa, Su Casa, Puddy.

(((hugs)))

Pam
08-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Eric I am so so sorry to read this and I know how hard it has to be for you. You tried so hard. Freddy, rest in peace sweet boy.

AmberLee
08-13-2002, 12:01 AM
The Rainbow Bridge has a new beautiful orange guy tonight.

Rest in Peace, Freddy.

Vio&Juni
08-13-2002, 01:31 AM
So sorry Freddy is gone:(

Abbie
08-13-2002, 07:07 AM
As Eric said, Freddy got HIS forever home. It just wasn't the one we anticipated. This entire thread from beginning to end shows how wonderful SOME people are. To each and every one of you who cared, God bless you. Eric, Mary and Catherine, special wishes and prayers to you all. And to Moosmom, if you end up with Puddy after your move, God bless you for opening your heart and your door to her...sounds as though you already have a full house.

There are so many animals in so much need of help. Perhaps each of us can do something special for one of them, or a shelter in memory of our little Freddy. I certainly do hope a wonderful forever home can now be found for Puddy, who is probably wondering what is happening in her life:confused:

Randi
08-13-2002, 07:13 AM
I'm so very sad to hear that Freddy has gone to the RB! :( He is not sufffering any more!

You did all you could to save him, Eric! Now Puddy needs to find a forever loving home, and I'm sure she will!

Rest in peace, sweet Freddy!!

Bari_d
08-13-2002, 09:24 AM
I almost couldn't write this. Eric called me yesterday afternoon with the sad, sad news and we cried together. As I write this, tears are again streaming and I just don't have the words.

When we lose these battles, fought with heart and soul, loving these furrbabies as we do, we wonder why we do this...why we allow ourselves to care so much...why we put ourselves time and time again in this position of heartbreak. Then, the clouds part and the sun shines just enough to dry the tears and allow us to see that we did make a difference...we DO make a difference because we care, and though there are losses, there are so many, many successes...so many wins.

Each of my furrbabies is a rescue...a beautiful catfriend that most likely wouldn't be here today if someone didn't care. Sometimes it was me, many times it was someone else who started the process.

Eric, look to the sunshine...look at your furrbabies...hug them and know that they have a special Daddy who gives his all for them. I like the idea of an orange sky over Rainbow Bridge. I'll think of that when I think of Freddy. Not the hurting little orange furrball, but the one the sun is now softly warming.

We'll take on Puddy's future now knowing again what we must do...this is another special baby. Donna, I know Eric is glad for your offer for Puddy's future...I know one way or another his road is lit with an orange glow from a friend who will direct his love to help us.

God bless each and every one of you who gave this little guy prayers that eased his pain and has now lifted him to his forever home.

Eric, we all thank you for your faithfulness and love to Freddy and all the furrbabies you help. God bless you and Mary.

I'll talk with Eric when I return home this weekend about changing Freddy and Puddy's webpage to help Puddy. I am sorry I cannot work on the web page from here as I'd hoped I could do.

Bari and the Pride

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Oh no....I'm soooo sorry. Poor little Freddy. The good thing is that he knew he was loved before he had to leave. He was such a little cutey. I suppose I'm glad that he is no longer in pain, but I feel so bad that his last few months here were so tough on him. Poor little Freddy, rest in peace buddy. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/cry.gif

lynnestankard
08-13-2002, 11:27 AM
oh sweet freddy - how sad you had to go on to rainbow bridge - play with all our furkids there - they'll all be looking out for you.

eric - {{{hugs}}} you went the extra mile for freddy - he knew it.
the tears will eventually stop flowing - but freddy memories will never fade. my heart goes out to you.

lynne

Eric
08-13-2002, 04:49 PM
I am more composed today ~~ seems I just had to act out yesterday. I must try and learn to help without getting so emotionally Involved. I would be more effective.

It was so sweet to read the Emails and posts for little Freddy ~ Wow! from all over the World ~~ I would have never seen the love and caring shown to Freddy without this post. In some ways even though he is gone, the bond is stronger now. I see how many of us are out there, trying to end the suffering.
It has been in history that something awful has to happen, before this world gets off It's ass and changes things ~ IT IS AN OUTRAGE that little animals suffer at the hands of man. It doesn't have to be this way ~

Many have ask me what they can do for Freddy ~~~ Well I for one will redouble my resolve to ACT and not just sit by feeling sorry for all the creatures. I will do something for all the Freddy's & Puddys ~~ You only loose if you don't try.... Blessings to all of us who fight the fight for Freddy's ~ and forgiveness and enlightenment to those who don't care ~~ We must change there hardened hearts, they were not born this way .....................Freddy will always be in my heart and I will never forget this post and all of you loving fur friends ~~ I love you all so much for caring about a little Orange Cat!!!!!!!! Eric Schickendantz [email protected]

My girlfriend Mary sent me this ~ wanted to share ~ My poor cats got petted, squeezed and kissed so much last night, they are all running from me today ~~~ Lol Lol Lol

IF I KNEW
If I knew it would be the last time
That I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly
and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.
that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.
I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
so I could play them back day after day.
If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute
instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.
I would be there to share your day,
Well I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.
For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.
There will always be another day
to say "I love you,"
And certainly there's another chance
to say our "Anything I can do?"
But just in case I might be wrong,
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.
So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day,
That you didn't take that extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.
So hold your loved ones close today,
and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear
Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."
And if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.

moosmom
08-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Eric,

My offer still stands. When I get into Michigan, Puddy will have a forever home with my brood. I will just needs to make transportation arrangements. We'll talk. In the meantime, stay strong and know there are TONS of people out here for you.

That was a beautiful thread that Mary posted. I'm not only going to frame it, I'm going to send it to some of my relatives, because you never know what tomorrow can bring.

Hugs to you, my hero! You've had your hands full for a long time. Take a break and don't beat yourself up over getting emotionally involved. It goes with the territory!

(((hugs)))

Vio&Juni
08-14-2002, 03:47 AM
I just couldn't read Mary's poem, my eyes were full of tears and I printed it out to read it later. I am not sure if later I will not cry, but I was just about to burst into a loud cry here in the office.
When our Naomi died of some poisonous sunflower seeds she liked so much, I cried for a week.:(

Vio&Juni
08-14-2002, 03:54 AM
and Eric, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO NOT GET INVOLVED. That's why these little creatures love us, because we get involved. I wanted to say that this is human, but they get involved too. Once I had a terrible toothache and Juni came to "pet" me while I was crying. Or anytime we argue with my sis, she comes to us and she tries to make peace, because she loves us.
Don't beat yourself, be happy that you care and you have much more fulfillments in your life than those who don't care. And as you said, WE ONLY LOOSE IF WE DON'T TRY.

moosmom
08-16-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone!

Any news on Puddy and Eric? I come her several times a day hoping to hear some kind of update on how they are doing. Does anyone have any news??

Eric
08-17-2002, 07:51 AM
Hello Donna ~ :)
I have been busy with a new Gallery space for my Tribal Arts business ~ Puddy is great and we still need a home for her. I will see her Monday. We have had a few Fur emergencies with my kitty "Sheba" and Mary's "Specs" ~ We have had our hands full. I am going to put a listing in the Akron paper for Puddy this week. I will be back up on this post Monday. Thanks Eric

moosmom
08-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Eric,

Thanks for the update. I was just getting a little worried, that's all. I check this particular thread ALOT to see if there's any news. Hang in there and know I'm thinking of you and Puddy. (((hugs)))

Bari_d
08-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Hello friends. I think we should probably start a new thread now just for Puddy. We need to actively start the process again to get her a good, loving furrever home. In an email this morning from Eric, one of his precious Maine Coons, 14 year old Sheba, is very ill...sometimes the clouds just don't let much sunshine through.

Please pray for Sheba and Eric.

I have quickly updated the web page to focus on Puddy...we may make some changes/enhancements when Eric has time, but it is important that we begin to circulate Puddy's need for a home as quickly as possible. She is running out of time.

As we close this chapter on the plight of Freddy and Puddy, I will talk with Eric about starting a new thread for Puddy.

God bless you all for your help and encouragement.

Bari and the Pride

Eric
08-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Please view our new post at

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13996

Eric
08-26-2002, 10:30 PM
Please Help !! where will this happen next??? ~~~Czicat & I signed this ~~ Thanks for looking ~ Eric
{This is happening in Akron Ohio right now !!! http://www.saveourcats.org/ }

Here is the San Pedro Petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/spfcc2/petition.html

please forward and cross-post. let's get the word out!
--- catherine
--- [email protected]

Feral Cat Caretakers' Coalition
In a message dated 8/21/2002 8:24:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

An update for everyone

Lauren and just returned from a very intense and urgent meeting with key
persons who will be involved in saving the lives of the cats at White
Point
in San Pedro, California.The cats will be trapped by a private
exterminating
company (not Dept. of Animal Services). ?Refer to
www.peninsulapetrescue.com
for updates.

Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors has hired them to
remove
and exterminate the cats. ?Mary Kaleta, the person who has been
responsibly
caring for some 60 cats was notified of this on Monday 8-19-02. ?Mary and
the
ladies who have been with her for several years feeding the feral cats at
White Point, went to an attorney this a.m. and paid $2,000.00 to see if an

injunction could be obtained to give us some time. ?It is Wednesday
evening
and they are to begin trapping and exterminating on Monday. ?As far as we
know, there are no guidelines on how they exterminate the cats as they are

not under city jurisdiction, such as Department of Animal Services, where
they would be taken to a shelter.

In addition to maintaining and managing her feral cat colony, Mary has
spent
a considerable amount of time and money to build little insulated shelters
to
blend in with the environment into the large boulders on the beach. ?It
took
several months of measuring, etc., to provide a safe and warm place for
the
cats to stay. ?This was authorized and given the go ahead by Dan Knapp.
?The
lifeguard, Kenny Atkins, who has just recently come to this beach, pulled
out
and destroyed all of the shelters she had worked so hard to put in place.
He
is also the person who has instigated this entire pogrom. ?We are not
clear
as to what his motives are.

It was heartbreaking to see the cats hiding in the boulders without proper

shelter with winter coming. ?Under the best circumstances, their lives are

meager and they look forward to their food and shelter and the loving care
of
the caretaker to go there every morning, rain or shine, to put out their
food. ?The beach is mainly rocks and tide pools, not much of a sandy area.
?
You would hardly know they were there and have been for 20 years in
comparative peace - until now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you would like to comment on the petition, you can contact
the author of the petition by email, at:

Mary Kaleta, [email protected]

"We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act"

Eric
08-31-2002, 08:01 AM
Eric
Resident

Akron Ohio
Puddy Update ~ Sat. 9AM
Sorry to all I have not been posting ~ My new shop opens on September 1st and I have been very busy.

Puddy's home sold Thursday. Irene {the 85 years Aunt} is having seconds thoughts about having Puddy go to Michigan or Iowa. She wants a home in Ohio for her. When it came down to the wire she is getting cold feet. She has becoming very attached to Puddy and I think lonesome herself. I am not happy after all the work we have done to find Puddy a home. BOTH Iowa and Michigan are GREAT forever homes and either one would be wonderful for Puddy. I think Irene is going through allot and I have to be understanding of her thinking. She was worried she would never see Puddy again. Irene is thinking of herself and not Puddy at this point~ but there is only so much I can say. I want to have puddy in the BEST home and I have found TWO!! I am to meet with Irene Monday and will know more then. Puddy has to be out of the home September 23rd. This is frustrating for me and I am working on a solution. Eric :confused:

sasvermont
08-31-2002, 09:05 AM
Puddy is the object of concern......and if the Aunt wants Puddy then fine, but otherwise, I think, that you have to get that sweet kitty in the right home asap. The Aunt will get over it and I am not sure all folks at 85 do much long term thinking.

Of course you should do what your heart tells you to do.

I don't think anyone here would think ill of you if you decide one way or the other, they just want Puddy and you happy.

So go for it Eric. Your heart is in the right place and you will use your good judgement, I am sure.

Good luck with your new opening too!

Keep us posted on every little thing....we love hearing from you.

L,

Eric
09-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Hello All
I spoke with Irene at length yesterday and feel better about this decision. " she is keeping Puddy"
Donna {Moosmom} made it to Michigan and will be posting soon. I wanted another home for Puddy either with Donna or Becky in Iowa but the universe had other plans I guess. I just wish Irene would have decided this in the beginning. I asked her a hundred times if there was any way she could take Puddy and Freddy. Now she has changed her mind. Puddy is only 4 years old and Irene is 85. I am going to help Irene in the future and if anything happens ~ I stand ready to take Puddy myself ~~~ This is the best I can do. I am disappointed, but Puddy is not my cat and I have done all I can. I am so thankful for all the new friends from this Post and will stay in contact with all of you.
It is wonderful to know there are so many of you who cared { over 3000 hits on the Freddy post WOW } so many loving caring souls who have tried to help ~ who have given there Love and support for Freddy and Puddy and ME !!! I will NEVER forget all the kindness and Emails. Never!!! I will go on with my rescues after a few day off with Mary this weekend to the beach somewhere in the Carolinas ~~~ MY LOVE TO YOU ALL Bari_d *** moosmom ~ Tubby & Peanut's Mom ~Karen~Randi~ lynnestankard ~Casper & Kitty ~Logan~ czicat ~ Abbie ~ sasvermont ~ AmberLee ~ wolflady ~ and many more ~~~ Your support has meant the world to me and Freddy & Puddy. Freddy DID get his forever home, and is free of pain now. :)
Blessed are the Purr in Heart ~ my Love to all of you ~~Eric Schickendantz ~ [email protected] Akron Ohio

"Anyone who has accustomed himself to
regard the life of any living creature
as worthless is in danger of arriving
also at the idea of worthless human
lives." -- Albert Schweitzer

Eric
10-21-2002, 08:58 AM
I have been very busy with my business & Rescue and just don't have the time to post ~ BUT this is an emergency that we need to respond ~~~ The sick person and this act ~~ MUST be dealt with ~~ Please support the efforts to stop this person ~~~ WE MUST RALLY !!!! Eric

PS Puddy is doing GREAT ~~

http://www.msnusers.com/ADOPTAPETASAP/terrorathomeii.msnw

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

moosmom
10-21-2002, 10:33 PM
Oh Eric! I am sickened by the inhumanity of all of it!! I hope they find whoever is doing this. I am speechless. I honestly don't know what to say. What can I do to help??

I'm so glad to see you're back posting. One question...do you ever go to the Gabraltar Trade Center in Wyandotte, MI to sell your stuff? If you do, please let me know. I'll stop by.

Tell me what I can do about this %$#@!*~! pig that is killing innocent cats. I'll be glad to do whatever I can.

Bari_d
10-22-2002, 09:04 AM
I was unable to read all of the horrible story...I can't begin to understand how people can do these things. There has to be a special place in hell for them.

Eric, I know you're off to NY today to take one Maine Coon and pick up another getting them to foster/permanent homes, so travel safely, and upon you return, please do let us know what we can do in this situation...

Bari

Bari_d
10-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Donna, on a happier note, I thought of MooShoo when I saw PetSmart's ad this morning for sweaters...this one is cute if it comes kitty size!

http://www.cathappy.com/images/Temp%20photos/patriotic%20dog.jpg

Bari et al

moosmom
10-22-2002, 10:06 AM
Bari,

Actually the sweater I got him was on sale for $5.00 and is for a medium dog (the little porker is now 12 pounds!!!). That's a great sweater though.

To show you how spoiled he is, I bought him a padded kitty tent to keep him warm in the house too. What we do for our pets. :p

Bari_d
10-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Donna...I love it - you're such a good mom! I imagine he'll really appreciate it! Pet ALL the kids for me! Oh, and I love the new avitar of your kids!!!!

Bari

moosmom
10-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks Bari! I couldn't have done it without the help of KrazyaboutKatz (Tracey). I am totally illiterate when it comes to that kinda stuff.