PDA

View Full Version : For Jen, Emeraldgirl - re cat cancer

Catty1
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
This was posted up in Dog Health...and though it relates to canines, I was thinking some of this might apply to cats. The whole article was on the Pedigree site, which has no cat department! :D

I highlighted some areas...worth checking with a vet on, maybe?
If your dog is diagnosed with cancer, you should make it a priority to help him maintain as healthy a body as possible with a sound immune system. This may require some adjustments to his diet, because many cancers cause dogs to lose weight and muscle mass. This condition, called “cachexia,” can be caused directly by the cancer or it can be the side effect of some cancer treatments.

In a series of studies, Dr. Ogilvie, a leading cancer nutritionist, looked at the effect of different diets on dogs with cancers, specifically lymphomas. He discovered that dogs with cancer actually metabolize some nutrients differently than healthy dogs.

For starters, dogs with cancer use carbohydrates differently. In his study, Dr. Ogilvie found that the cancer grows rapidly with plenty of glucose available. Specifically, the cancer cells gain energy by using simple sugars, such as glucose, which is a breakdown product of carbohydrates. Therefore, you can help deprive the cancer cells of fuel for growth by decreasing the amount of carbohydrates in your dog’s diet.

In contrast to their use of carbs, cancer cells don’t utilize fat very well. The omega-3 fatty acids in particular are useful for cancer patients. These fatty acids decrease the development of carcinogen-related tumors and decrease the growth of solid tumors. They also help alleviate some side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments and provide healthy cells with energy. Flaxseed oil and cold-water fish oils such as salmon oils are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids that you can consider adding to your dog’s diet. Omega-6 fatty acids such as safflower oil are not recommended, with the exception of cases of an unusual skin growth called mycosis fungoides.

So a diet with low carbohydrates and a fair amount of omega-3 fatty acids can help your dog. But what about protein? Tumor cells will use protein for energy before fat; that’s why cancer patients lose muscle and body condition. The cancer cells fight with the normal cells for the amino acids they need. An ideal diet for a dog with cancer, then, contains a moderate amount of top-quality protein.

You may also want to supplement some amino acids, such as arginine, which is known for helping to maintain the immune system. A strong immune system can help your dog’s body fight cancer. Glutamine is another important amino acid that helps to preserve the gastrointestinal tract and may decrease any vomiting or diarrhea seen as a side effect of some chemotherapy regimens. Finally, glycine specifically protects the kidneys from the side effects of the chemotherapy drug called cisplatin. You can really boost your dog’s ability to fight the cancer by making sure he gets enough of these three important amino acids.

Other supplements that might be beneficial include vitamins A, C, and E and selenium. These vitamins and the mineral selenium are known for their antioxidant properties; they all fight the free radicals related to aging. Vitamin A can even be supplied in the form of cod liver oil that will also provide extra omega-3 fatty acids. Vitamin E and selenium act as antioxidants but need to be given in the proper balance. Vitamin C is not only an antioxidant but also an acidifier. Studies have shown that an alkaline body aids cancer growth, so it is conceivable, though not proven, that an acidic body may slow down cancer growth. While all of these supplements are helpful, too much of any one of them can be dangerous, so be sure to consult with your veterinarian about the proper dosage before you add them to your dog’s diet.

A few additional dietary additions that may be helpful include garlic, which is known for counteracting many carcinogens, and both black and green tea. It may be tricky to get your dog to enjoy an afternoon cup of tea with you, though! Herbs such as echinacea, bromelain and milk thistle may also be appropriate additives for specific cancers.

While we can’t say that diet changes will cure most cancers, some dietary adjustments may help give your dog a longer survival time with a better quality of life. And luckily, most foods, unlike many cancer treatments, have very few side effects.

jenluckenbach
08-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Very interesting. I will look into some of these ideas. Unfortunately, right now the trick is to get Mr. Meow to EAT and he is turning out to be a finicky eater. :(

Catty1
08-13-2007, 10:11 AM
He's stopped eating again? OH NO! Sweetie - DON'T!!!!

Maybe he IS just finicky??? :(

PT Prayers for Mr. Meow!!!

jenluckenbach
08-13-2007, 11:45 AM
He's stopped eating again? OH NO! Sweetie - DON'T!!!!

Maybe he IS just finicky??? :(

PT Prayers for Mr. Meow!!!
No, don't panic, he is still eating. It is just that he won't eat certain choices.

BUT, I did buy some grain free food to try. Hopefully he will like it. (it is a much better food too, I would rather see him eating this.)

Catty1
08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh, OKAY, just a fussy kitty! He's doing well then! :D

jenluckenbach
08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Oh, OKAY, just a fussy kitty! He's doing well then! :D
He IS doing well. As a matter of fact, he is eating one of these new canned foods right now. :) (I have been trying to offer him food THREE times a day, vs. just TWO times like the other kitties) And since he doesn't wantto live with the fosters, he doesn't have access to dry food 24/7 like they do. (mine are not free-fed, downstairs)

Emeraldgreen
08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi Candace, that information is really interesting. I have been giving Tiger the Arginine that is mentioned in the article you posted two times a day for a total of 1000mg per day. I've just ordered a product for cats with cancer that should arrive by mail in a few days. It is a combination of herbs including astragalus. I also bought some grapeseed extract but when I put it in his food, he always knows!!! And then he won't eat it. He's got such a good sniffer now that it works again. LOL So, I've just been giving the arginine for now.
He is doing really well and went absolutely mental the other night on this wind up hamster I bought him. He was throwing it up in the air and doing flips and rollies. It was the greatest thing to see. However, I have noticed that his balance is off. He kind of tipped over a few times while playing and he has trouble jumping up on stuff. Sometimes he attempts a jump and instead of making it, just falls backwards. I've tried to bring everything down to his level so he doesn't have a reason to jump up on stuff. I'm not sure if it's muscle wasting from the prednisilone that he was previously on or if it is the cancer. I'm going to look into it and see if there is a way to build up his muscles again. He is off the pred so that will help I think.
Also, I will begin giving him some salmon oil in his food. I will look online for the appropriate dose for cats. The part about the carbs was very interesting. Right now he is eating just a few crunchies a day but mostly I give him tinned food 3X a day. The main reason was that I needed a way to sneak the supplements in but now I'm glad to hear that less carbs is the way to go anyway. Thanks for the info. :)

Catty1
08-13-2007, 11:22 PM
And actually, the part about an acidic environment killing cancer...a friend of mine was diagnosed with liver cancer(went in from the gall bladder), and the docs said there was nothing in their arsenal they could fight it with.

So she and her hubby did some research and picked some favourites...one was having her on fruit and juices for a few days, to create a more acidic environment. She also went to some health spa in BC...anyway, several months later she was in remission. I haven't spoken with her for a couple of months, so I hope she is still doing well.

EG - you might want to call your vet. If the polyp went into Tiger's ear area, that could affect his balance. It might be something that will get a little better - and have more to do with the surgery than the cancer.

Give that beautiful boy a hug for me! And Jimmy too! :) :)

Jen - I am glad Mr Meow is still being a piggy! :D

Emeraldgreen
08-14-2007, 12:05 AM
That's true, his balance issues could be due to the surgery and it might just take some time for him to recover. It also could be due to an involvment with his ear but I hope not. He did have some build up of debris in his left ear and one of the vets gave me some ear cleanser to keep it clean which I haven't done yet because he was going through so much already that was far more detrimental to his health but now that things have settled down I should try it. The other reason I haven't used the cleanser is because the vet did clean his ear very well while he was under anesthesia the time before last but maybe it's started to build up again.
I'm hoping that with his added energy these days and his new found friskiness that he will begin to build some muscle as he moves around more and more. In fact, after I wrote the last message an hour or so ago I heard the cats racing around upstairs. I thought to myself, "that must be Tiger playing with either Jimmy or my other cat Stinky" so I went upstairs to see and found Jimmy and Stinky sleeping and Tiger was racing all over the place by himself. Scott made a joke and said "maybe he is playing with Charlie's ghost!". lol You never know! In any case, all that running around should help him to build his little muscles up.
Thanks for your well wishes for Tiger and Jimmy Candace. Jimmy is still down after losing Charlie but each day he seems to get a bit better. I was worried because we have to leave for a week and a pet sitter was going to stop in each day to visit them but now my brother is coming to stay in the house and take care of my pets so I'm so relieved. They will have someone around all the time. Jimmy is my brother's favourite so I know he'll get lots of attention while we're away. :)

jenluckenbach
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Also, I will begin giving him some salmon oil in his food. I will look online for the appropriate dose for cats
Have you found any info on this?? I bought the Omega-3 capsules today and now I need to find out HOW much is goo (and safe). I am not a good "searcher" :o. But if I find something, I'll post it.

EDIT..... I found this product:
http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Super%5FEPA

It is similar to the capsules I bought. (mine have 600mg, these have 500mg of the Omega-3).

Since a liquid filled capsule is impossible to give 1/2 of per day (the dosage suggested for this product) I fugured I would open the capsule and suck it into a small oral syringe. THEN give half of that amount.

My experiment with this suggests there is .6 ml in a capsule, so I will start giving him .3 ml per day.

Here is a qoute I found on the effects of Omega-3's
Omega-3s also work as an anti-inflammatory for skin diseases, asthma, allergies and kidney inflammation and some studies have shown them to be beneficial in reducing and stopping the growth of tumors.

Catty1
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Jen - could it be mixed into wet food? (Assuming there is some Mr Meow likes! ;) )

If it is an Omega 3 from fish oil, it should smell pretty good to him. Otherwise - there might not be any taste at all.