PDA

View Full Version : Deformed Vegetables?

RICHARD
08-12-2007, 09:03 AM
EWWWWWW!

I love tomatoes.

Large, smooth skinned Beefsteaks are my favorite.
As a kid I used to get GIANT SOFTBALL sized ones and eat them like apples!

-----------------

My brother is growing Heirloom tomatoes and I cannot eat them because they are freaking ugly

IT's the grooves at the top the weird me out.....I did eat one and saw that they are pretty tasty and firm - But for some reason the visual on them makes me go YUK!

--------------

P.S. Soft tomatoes suck! SAUCE THEM! :D

jackie
08-12-2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2005/08/16/south_show71_420x352.jpg

RICHARD
08-13-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2005/08/16/south_show71_420x352.jpg

That's a good one!

The other veggies that freak me out are the purple potatoes...scary!

Karen
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh, man, Richard, you are missing out! Them's good tomatoes, you can send them to me if you don't want 'em!

I like the adventure of different colors and shapes - of foods I'm not allergic to, anyway!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I love the yellow tomatoes!!! Just thought I'd share that with you all!!! :D

RICHARD
08-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I know, I know.....I am a freak!

These days, the tomatoes at the store are mostly meaty, tasteless, hard and dry.

It seems that they are engineered to be meatier, but they are picked early and a few days in the basket make them too soft!

The Heirloom 'maters were firm, juicy and stayed pretty stable for the week I had them.

I may have to adjust! :D

lvpets2002
08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
:) Oh Yum Yum on Fresh Tomatos.. Lets me have some Fried Green Tomatos please..

RICHARD
08-13-2007, 04:50 PM
:) Oh Yum Yum on Fresh Tomatos.. Lets me have some Fried Green Tomatos please..

What about pickled tomatoes?

my mouth is watering now! :D

RedHedd
08-13-2007, 05:28 PM
RICHARD I know some of them look like they might crawl right out of the vegetable bin all by themselves, but they ARE yummy.

Safeway had them on sale this week and I swear some of them looked like pieces of art they were so beautiful, strange and weird at the same time. Almost too pretty to eat.

IRescue452
08-13-2007, 08:25 PM
I think our yard and garden is the record holder for mutants. We never spray any sort of chemicals or anything, and its been 12 years since we moved in. All of our vegetables are odd shaped in some way, or extra extra large. Our sunflowers have hundreds of heads on one stem, our dandolions have several. We also seem to produce a lot of four-leafed clovers. Mutants are the best though. I think we live too close to the Fox River (home to the legendary three-eyed fishes).

Unfortunately our tomatoes always come up on the small side no matter what I try. They are regular tasting tomatoes in cherry-tomato size.

smokey the elder
08-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I live 2 miles from a nuclear power plant. 'Nuff said! :D :p

Miss Z
08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
When I was in Turkey, I tasted white cherries. Before then I thought there was only the red variety, but I absolutely loved the white ones! Shame that I don't seem to be able to get them over here...

Sevaede
08-14-2007, 04:50 PM
LOL! That's too funny! :D

Did you see the story on GMA this morning about a strawberry growing inside of a tomato?

I was disappointed when one of my cucumbers stopped growing on one end. The other end kept growing and inflated like a weird water balloon. I picked and ate it, though, and it was tasty. :D

moosmom
08-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Ah, matoes!!! My absolute FAVORITE sandwich in the summer is a nice big RIPE Connecticut native tomato, sliced thin on whole wheat bread, with a Vidalia onion, salt/pepper and mayo!! :p :p It's the one time I can get a good night's sleep, as the furkids won't come near my onion breath. :D

lvpets2002
08-15-2007, 08:56 AM
:o Well thanks alot Donna.. With no Breakfast & reading this is making my mouth water for sure.. You made it sound like the sandwich could be melting in my mouth.. My favorite too.. :D
Ah, matoes!!! My absolute FAVORITE sandwich in the summer is a nice big RIPE Connecticut native tomato, sliced thin on whole wheat bread, with a Vidalia onion, salt/pepper and mayo!! :p :p It's the one time I can get a good night's sleep, as the furkids won't come near my onion breath. :D

RICHARD
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I was watching the NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES on PBS last night. He did a program on tomatoes!

There is a yearly tomato festival here in Lost Angeles and he did a great job getting all kinds of trivia about 'maters..

I was amazed by some of the facts about them.

THere are 60 different types. Purple, black, yellow and green.

Some have names such a the Julia Child strain and a new kind that does not have a name-only a designation- BRK910.

There are striped and speckled tomatoes!

Heirloom tomatoes are not the proper name!

The way a tomato gets an Heirloom designation is by being grown by one farming family for more than 50 years.

So, in reality, Heirlooms are different strains, with a catch-all name!