PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a good casserole recipe?

NicoleLJ
08-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I just finished making 4 tuna caseroles. Yup you read right. 4 in one afternoon and in a little while I am making an apricot Danish Coffee Cake. Baking relaxes me and right now I am sore and tired after making all the casseroles.

The reason I am making them is because of my being pregnant and due in October. I am lucky that my church provides meals for the first week or so home from the hospital. But with hubby going back to work usually 3-4 days after the baby being born I will have to be able to prepare meals within a few days of that. And with having a toddler and a newborn and a new pup my best bet is to make a ton of different type of casseroles and freezable meals between now and then and then Isabeau(8yr old) can help by making supper. She LOVEs to make the meals. So it will be a simple matter of a salad and popping in a casserole.

So every weekend I make 2 different types of casseroles. Double the recipes so there is enough for 4 meals. 3 to be frozen for the coming months and one to have for dinner that night. I make one type on Saturday and one on Sunday. So basically 6 casseroles a weekend. I only do it on weekends simply because there is too much going on during the week and hubby is home all day on the weekends to help.

So is anyone else doing a baking or cooking frenzy today? Or if you have a REALLY good cassorale or frozen dinner recipe please post it. The more variety I have for us to choose from every night the better it will be. Thanks all.
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Freedom
08-11-2007, 06:26 PM
You must have a HUGE freezer!

Grace
08-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Here you go - I have another one, but I need to type it out first.

VENISON – CORN CASSEROLE

1 pound ground venison or ground beef.

4 celery stalks – diced
1 large onion – chopped
1 can tomato soup
1 can – 16 oz – creamed corn
1 can – 15 oz – kidney beans – drained
1 tsp garlic salt
dash of pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon chili sauce
1 package corn chips – 3 3/4 ounces

Brown venison; add celery and onions. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Reduce heat. Stir in soup, corn, beans and seasonings.
Pour into 2 quart baking dish.

Bake @ 375° for 20 minutes – uncovered.
Top with corn chips. Bake 10 – 15 minutes longer.

NicoleLJ
08-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Freedom - Yup we have two. Since hubby is a hunter and we get a lot of game in the fall we need to have the room for it all. This year he has tags for Elk, Mule Deer and White Tail and is still up for an Antolope.

Grace - Perfect recipe. Thanks so much. I love that we can use the venison for it. Hubby was licking his lips just hearing about it. If you have more i would love to see them.

Scooter's Mom
08-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't use a recipe for my meatloaf - but did you know you can make it and freeze ahead of time? Just mix it up and put it in a freezer container (ziploc or whatever you use) and then defrost and cook like normal!

Crystal

Grace
08-11-2007, 06:43 PM
MAZETTI

6 ounces noodles
1 pound ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup minced celery
half of a medium green pepper
¾ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 can tomato soup
1/8 cup butter
Grated Parmesan/Romano cheese

This can easily be doubled for a larger crowd.

Prepare noodles per instructions; drain and toss with butter.
In large bowl, mix soup and spices. Brown the beef; drain and add to soup mixture; Saute the onion, celery and green pepper – add to beef mixture. Mix in noodles.

Place in casserole dish. Sprinkle with the graated cheese.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

This would also work with venison. And I think I have one more venison good one - will try to find it.

Grace
08-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Here I am - hogging the topic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/lol1.gif

Anyway, here is another one that we really like. Again, can be made with either beef or venison.

BEEF or VENISON GOULASH

1 pound boneless beef sirloin (or venison), trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4 - inch cubes
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 jar - 12 ounces - home-style beef gravy
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon paprika
2 cups (2 1/2 ounces) uncooked medium no-yolk egg noodles
1 cup frozen sweet peas
1/2 cup light sour cream

Spray large, nonstick skillet with PAM. heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add meat and onion; sprinkle with garlic salt. Cook 4 to 6 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring frequently.

Add gravy, broth and paprika; mix well. Stir in uncooked noodles and peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook about 10 minutes, or until beef and noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream until well blended.

Happy Cooking http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/10.gif

NicoleLJ
08-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Grace - Hog away. You are helping me out a great deal with these recipes.

Scooter's Mom - Thanks for the tip. That is going to come in handy.
Nicole & Sheena & puppies

jennielynn1970
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
This is one of my faves, and it freezes well...

Vegetable Jambalya

3 Tbsp. oil
1 c. diced onion
2 zucchini squash diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3.4 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced carrots
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
1 red bell pepper diced
1 greed pepper diced
1 can black eyed peas
28 oz. can plum tomatoes chopped with juice
2 tsp. parsley
3 1/4 c. vegetable broth
1 1/2 c. uncooked rice

Heat oil in large pot. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrots. Cook 1 minute longer. Mix in spices and herbs, and peppers, peas, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook on low temperature 10 minutes.

30 minutes before serving, add zucchini, bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve. Serves 6.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Another.... almost a side dish

Zucchini Souffle

3 c. grated raw zucchini
1 small onion chopped
1 c. bisquick
4 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 Tsp. parsley
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/8 Tsp. pepper

Mix all together. Put into greased baking casserole dish approx 8 x 11 inches. Bake at 350* for about 1hr.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Another that is like a side dish...

Zucchini Casserole
(mom via Barb Kenion)

4 medium zucchini, sliced
3.4 c. carrots sliced in 1/4” pieces
1 onion, chopped
6 Tbsp. margerine
2 1/2 c. herb stuffing mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. sour cream

Microwave zucchini until slightly transparent. Saute onion and carrots in 4 Tbsp. margerine. Remove from heat and stin in 1 1/2 c. stuffing mix and soup. Gently stir in sour cream. Pour into large casserole dish. Melt remaining margerine. Add remaining stuffing cubes to margerine, toss together and top casserole with them.
Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2007, 07:37 PM
The best meatloaf in the world!!

Mom’s Meatloaf

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
1 lb. ground venison
1 pkg. french onion soup
2 egg whites
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. bread crumbs
BBQ sauce

Mix all ingredients together with fork or hands. Put mixture into an oblong casserole dish and bake for 45-55 minutes at 350*. Top with BBQ sauce when almost done.

jennielynn1970
08-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I know you said casseroles, but I have soups that I make that freeze well too. That's what I do a lot of for school/work. Let me know if you're interested, and I can post some of them too.

NicoleLJ
08-12-2007, 02:02 PM
WOW these are all great recipes. Thanks all and keep them coming. I am saving all the ones my husband like the sound of and I like the sound of also and will be trying them in the weeks to come.

Jods
08-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Tator tot casserole

INGREDIENTS
1 pound ground beef
1 pinch garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 (32 ounce) package tater tots, thawed
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can milk
1 pinch garlic powder
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Crumble hamburger into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle meat with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover the hamburger with tater tots.
In a bowl, stir together mushroom soup, celery soup and milk. Pour the soup mixture over the potatoes and hamburger and sprinkle with additional garlic powder.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes.

Macaroni and cheese casserole
2 cups macaroni
Shreaded cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

cook macaroni until tender, put in casserole dish add soup, stir, add cheese mix together bake at 350 for 30 min then sprinkle grated cheese on top put back in oven till cheese is bubbly.

go to this website and type in casserole a TON come up
http://allrecipes.com

kittycats_delight
08-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Sheppard's Pie

1lb ground beef
1 can of nibblet corn or cream corn(your preference)
1 can of tomato soup (heinz is best)
6 medium potatoes or one pouch of instant mash potato (I prefer to make my own)

Brown ground beef and season with salt and pepper and a little garlic powder and onion powder. When completely cooked add tomato soup. Mix together and put into a 9 inch square pyrex dish

drain corn (if nibblet) and spread over top of meat mixture.

Boil potatoes in salted water and mash with butter or margarine and milk. Whip to creamy consistency. Spread over top of corn. Bake for 30 minutes until peaks of potatoes brown slightly.

Serves 4

shais_mom
08-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I know you said casseroles, but I have soups that I make that freeze well too. That's what I do a lot of for school/work. Let me know if you're interested, and I can post some of them too.
I like soup recipes -
you could start a new thread OR
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=16188&highlight=Recipe

or just a soup recipe thread would be good...
Especially with fall coming.
I have great recipes for Cream of Broccoli and Zuppa Toscana (olive garden) soups.

shais_mom
08-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Sheppard's Pie

1lb ground beef
1 can of nibblet corn or cream corn(your preference)
1 can of tomato soup (heinz is best)
6 medium potatoes or one pouch of instant mash potato (I prefer to make my own)

Brown ground beef and season with salt and pepper and a little garlic powder and onion powder. When completely cooked add tomato soup. Mix together and put into a 9 inch square pyrex dish

drain corn (if nibblet) and spread over top of meat mixture.

Boil potatoes in salted water and mash with butter or margarine and milk. Whip to creamy consistency. Spread over top of corn. Bake for 30 minutes until peaks of potatoes brown slightly.

Serves 4
My mom just brought me a pound of hamburger and with me being kind of laid up - this sounds really good - I've never had Shepherd's Pie.... and this sounds very easy!

Lobodeb
08-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Taco Casserole

Ground beef (amount is up to you)
1-2 cans pinto beans
1 package corn tortillas
12 oz. cheese (cheddar works well, but any melty cheese will work)
salsa (spicyness and amount depends on you)

Brown the ground beef. Heat a small amount of vegetable oil or water in a small sauce pan, about an inch deep and lightly heat. Dip tortialls in the water/oil for about 30 seconds or until soft. Layer cooked tortillas in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Then put a layer of ground beef, beans, cheese, salsa and cheese. Continue until you reach the top of the pan. Put in the oven at 350F until cheese is melted.

kittycats_delight
08-13-2007, 07:57 AM
My mom just brought me a pound of hamburger and with me being kind of laid up - this sounds really good - I've never had Shepherd's Pie.... and this sounds very easy!

It is extremely easy. I have a few quick and easy dishes if you are interested. Maybe a 30 minute or less recipe thread would be a good idea too cause I know a lot of people don't have tons of time to cook. I also have some killer soups. I have one that I actually had the neighbor come and buzz the house asking what I was cooking that smelled so good. :)

shais_mom
08-13-2007, 08:24 AM
sure post away!! :D
and the soup recipes - you could start another thread or post here - looking forward to them!! :D

cassiesmom
08-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I love this one. I got it from my mom, who got it from a friend whose mother was a home economics teacher. We like it with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the top and a long loaf of French bread. I've also made it without the butter (I just spray the pan with non-stick spray).

GERMAN SKILLET DINNER

1 tbsp. butter
1 (14 oz.) can sauerkraut with liquid
2/3 c. uncooked rice
1 med. onion, chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

Melt butter in large skillet. Spread sauerkraut over butter. Sprinkle on rice and onion. Top with ground beef, salt, pepper and tomato sauce. Cover skillet. Cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes.

Cinder & Smoke
08-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Since I'm no Betty Crocker ...
You're going to have to speak in Beginner's terms >>>

Mom’s Meatloaf
* 1 lb. ground turkey
* 1 lb ground beef
* 1 lb. ground venison
--------------------------

Tator tot casserole
* 1 pound ground beef
---------------------------

GERMAN SKILLET DINNER
* 1 lb. lean ground beef
---------------------------

Sheppard's Pie
* 1lb ground beef
* Brown ground beef and season with salt & pepper & garlic powder & onion powder.
* When completely cooked ???? AND DRAINED or keep juices????
-------------------------------------------------------------

So the Dumm Question for today is:

When some form or Raw Meat is specified, is it "assumed" that da Cook will
PRE-Cook ("Brown")
and then DRAIN said raw meat before tossing in with the other "stuff" -
(thereby reducing the grease & fat in the dish) -
OR is it supposed to go in raw, uncooked, and juice capable??

My Hamburger HELPER boxes all TELL me to Pre-Cook & DRAIN the Hamburgler.

:p

joycenalex
08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
anytime i use ground meat, i drain the juices, unless i keep 1-2 tablespoons to saute (cook till soft and translucent, not mushy) onions or garlic. fattier cuts of meat are juicier then non fatty meats, ground pork is juicier then ground turkey for example, and draining the meat will reduce calories. i drain the cooked meat thru a collander onto a few sheets of newspaper laying in an old piepan. i then pitch the newspaper i the trash so wonder mutt doesn't tear the paper up and the grease doesn't clog my drain. hope this helps :)

Karen
08-13-2007, 06:32 PM

PRE-Cook ("Brown")

No, no, for the meatloaf do not cook the meat ahead of time. Just dump all the ingredients, raw, into the bowl, and mix, then bake.

The others specify when to brown (a.k.a. cook) the meat.

Jods
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
^ and yes drain for the tator tot one! If your using lean tho you might not even have too

jackmilliesmom
08-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Heck to make it even more tasty just add the mixed frozen veg bags that have green beans, sweetcorn, carrots and peas in it and boy is that a meal in itself. and throw a little cheese on the potatoe just to give that extra yummy factor - sorry Michelle but everyone has their own way I know.

Sometimes I don't even use the potatoes on top I just serve it at the side, yummy - darling dinner tonight is sheppard's pie.

jackmilliesmom
08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Try this, get some skinned and boned chicken breasts some mushrooms, some onions and peppers, lightly brown all of them together and then get a can of creamed mushroom soup the one you have to dilute to make soup.

Dice the chicken breast or get your butcher to do that for you, brown it in the pan with the veggies mentioned in a little water and oil mix.

When browning put some rice on to cook on a slow heat and it will be just ready in time.

When chicken and veggies are ready drain excess stock/oil from the pan add the tin of soup as is and let it simmer gently. When warmed through serve on a bed of fluffy rice what a winter warmer and serve it with warmed Garlic and cheese bread - yummy yummy yummy - what great food for the the tummy....

kittycats_delight
08-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Depends on the amout of grease. If it is extra lean or good lean beef you shouldn't have to drain it. We always use extra lean and there is barely enough fat to cook the meat without it sticking so it isn't necessary. Use your judgement. If you can pour the fat off then drain it. If there is not fat then not. :)

PRE-Cook ("Brown")

shais_mom
08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Heck to make it even more tasty just add the mixed frozen veg bags that have green beans, sweetcorn, carrots and peas in it and boy is that a meal in itself. and throw a little cheese on the potatoe just to give that extra yummy factor - sorry Michelle but everyone has their own way I know.

Sometimes I don't even use the potatoes on top I just serve it at the side, yummy - darling dinner tonight is sheppard's pie.
I did throw in some frozen peas. It was very good!