PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen anything like this before??

critter crazy
08-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Tonight hubby and I noticed something strange about Autumn. Her eyes are weird. Her Nictating Membrane(third Eye Lid) is large, and covers a large space of her eye. Has anyone seen anyting like this before?? Here is a good pic of what I am talking about.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Cats/100_3101600x634.jpg

Catty1
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I noticed that in her earlier pics, but thought it would adjust itself.

I assume she has been to the vet and dewormed and all?

This eyelid can indicate worms, or just feeling run down.

Or - perhaps some kitty's eyelids are just like this normally.

A call to the vet won't cost...it's best to ask, I think.

critter crazy
08-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I noticed that in her earlier pics, but thought it would adjust itself.

I assume she has been to the vet and dewormed and all?

This eyelid can indicate worms, or just feeling run down.

Or - perhaps some kitty's eyelids are just like this normally.

A call to the vet won't cost...it's best to ask, I think.

Oh yes, she has been wormed and all that. But I am thinking I am going to call the vet tomarrow just to be safe. Hopefully he is around. I have been checking around on the Web, and it dosent seem good! Seems when the Nictating Mambrane is visible like this, it usually means the cat is ill. But it can also be cause by Mal-nutrition, which is also a good possibility, since she is very underweight. I just hope it is nothing serious, and it can be fixed. Poor Baby. :(

Catty1
08-10-2007, 11:06 PM
It could be her nutrition, since she is a 'foundling'. Maybe some of the AD recovery food by Hill's would help. Your vet should have it.

She has such a sweet face! :)

heidiv
08-10-2007, 11:11 PM
How is her personality?? Is she acting herself?? Paris had come down with a cold and she was running a fever and I noticed that her third eyelids were showing and her personality changed mainly she just didn't feel good. Feel her ears and see if she could be running a low grade fever. She may have a cold??

critter crazy
08-10-2007, 11:12 PM
How is her personality?? Is she acting herself?? Paris had come down with a cold and she was running a fever and I noticed that her third eyelids were showing and her personality changed mainly she just didn't feel good. Feel her ears and see if she could be running a low grade fever. She may have a cold??
She seems fine, she is running and playing just like a typical kitten.

heidiv
08-10-2007, 11:23 PM
I guess I would try to get her into the vet...... If you can.....It may be worth a try.....It will put your mind at ease and you may catch something early before she gets too ill. Good Luck she really looks like a little sweetheart ((HUGS))) From Wisconsin!! Poor Baby....

jazzcat
08-11-2007, 11:20 AM
With all my guys when the inner eyelid appears like that almost always it's a sign they are not feeling well. Just went through that with Jazz last month - she had a little URI flare and the first sign was her eyes.

critter crazy
08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Well I called the vet today, and he said to just keep an eye on her. He said it could be from Parasites, and since she has just been treated for them, it should go away after a few days. He also said it could be from poor nutrition, or an infection. so just like Mocha when she first came home, Autumn is on Lysine daily, as well as Natural eye drops. She also has wet food added to her diet, to hopefully put some meat on her bones! If it dosent go away after a few days, she will be going in to the vets, for a check up. She seems more than happy to take her meds, and of course the wet food was a huge hit!:)

AbbyMom
08-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Is she also on kitten food? That would help her gain weight.

She's a cutie!

critter crazy
08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Is she also on kitten food? That would help her gain weight.

She's a cutie!

Yes she is on kitten food, dry, and now wet twice a day as well. :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I sure hope it's nothing serious. I'll add her to my prayer list. Please continue to keep us updated about her. She sure a cutie pie.:)

heidiv
08-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Hows that little sweety doing??? Feeling a little better yet???? Lots of thoughts and prayers from all of us?? You take care little Autumn.

critter crazy
08-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Autumn is doing fine, but still no change in her eyes. I will be making an appointment for her to see the vet this week.

caffeitina
08-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I'd think it would be OK...that it's just how little Autumn's eyes are (Just like us Hoomans...some have heavy eyelids while others have hardly any). I doubt there's anything wrong. Some kitties you just see the eyelid. And it likely might be something Autumn will grow out of. When I got Howard as a kitten, you could see his a bit, but now you can't any longer (he only shows it as he rolls his eyes when he's really enjoying a good petting).

By the way, cute photo. :D