PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing here??? Another update & pic

Glacier
08-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Wooo PT

I think I'm in some trouble! I got to go for a truck ride with Mom this morning, but she didn't take me anywhere fun! She left me at the vet clinic! What am I doing here? I don't want to spend all day in a stoopid cage. Sheesh, I didn't even spend all night in my crate. All that gagging and pawing and whining took care of that. I got let out lots! I didn't get much sleep and neither did Mom. I was looking forward to napping in my pen and playing with Chum when I woke up.

But oh, no! I'm stuck at the vet and they are threatening to do horrible things to me! They say I might have eaten a foxtail. Now what kind of dumb fox would let a dog eat their tail? I thought vets were supposed to be smart humans! Why would they think something so dumb? I just bark at the foxes, I don't eat their tails! I did eat a whole bunch of grass last night, but there were no foxes hiding in that grass.

The vet people keep poking and prodding me. I can't have any food or water. There's no one to play with in this dumb cage. They might put me to sleep! Oh, Mom says it would just be for a nap...well, that's not so bad. But last time I had a nap here, I woke up with stitches in my tummy. I don't want that to happen again! I wasn't allowed to play for days after that!

Oh, this sucks! I wanna go home!

Sad wooos
Tehya the prisoner puppy!

Killearn Kitties
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Oh Tehya, I am almost moved to tears by your sad story! Imagine keeping you in a cage sweetheart! It's outrageous.

Have you read Auntie Chris's story about Bob today? He eats all kinds of inappropriate things too. What a pair you are. Can't you just stick to food?

cyber-sibes
08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Aw, poor Tehya! Here come the words every kid dreads....Mom's doing this for your own good. Try to be a good girl and you'll be out of there in no time. Use the time to plan your next good adventure, we'll look forward to hearing about it! Kisses, sweetie!

Glacier
08-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh Tehya, I am almost moved to tears by your sad story! Imagine keeping you in a cage sweetheart! It's outrageous.

Have you read Auntie Chris's story about Bob today? He eats all kinds of inappropriate things too. What a pair you are. Can't you just stick to food?

I know! It's crazy and just plain mean! They could let me out and I could help take care of the other dogs who are actually sick! Yup, I would be good at that. At least I get treats when I go in my crate. No treats at the vet. Mean vet!

I have puked up a couple interesting things...like that bungy cord that came up last time I was here getting fixed--when I wasn't broken to start with! I'm a growing puppy. I've gained 10 pounds since last time I was at this stoopid place. I mostly eat food! I get those yummy kibbles at night and meat some nights and I get chewies in my crate and I steal cat food every chance I get! :p

Thank you both for your support. I better get a good adventure when this over!

Tehya, still in prison!

Queen of Poop
08-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Tehya, Sasha extends her sincere sympathy to you. Last week she was at the vets all day in a cage for chest xrays. Yesterday she had blood drawn and will do it again Saturday. I'm sure the two of you border collie crosses could woo up a storm. You let the vet look after you so you get to go home sooner than later. And a bit of advice, when munching grass ensure it's just grass!! Take care sweetie pie!!

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I think I'm in some trouble! (Serious UNDER-statement!)

She left me at the vet clinic!
They say I might have eaten a foxtail.

I just bark at the foxes, I don't eat their tails!
I did eat a whole bunch of grass last night,
but there were no foxes hiding in that grass.

But the last time I had a nap here, I woke up with stitches in my tummy.
I don't want that to happen again!

:eek:

GOOD GRIEF, FurChild! :rolleyes:

Your Momma FEEDS you good stuff --- Dawgs do NOT need to eat salads
when out in the great, green, outdoors!

"Foxtails" are DANGEROUS!! Stay AWAY from 'em!

From: http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant01.htm >>>

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant01s.jpg (http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/color01.htm) http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/bw01s.jpg (http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/bw01.htm)

1. FOXTAIL BARLEY, SQUIRRELTAIL BARLEY, WILD BARLEY

Hordeum jubatum

(grass family)

TOXICITY RATING: Moderate. Irritation from the awns is likely, but serious illness and death are rare.

ANIMALS AFFECTED: All animals can be affected. Grazing animals and outdoor dogs are especially at risk.

DANGEROUS PARTS OF PLANT: Seedheads (awns).

CLASS OF SIGNS: Skin, mouth, ear, nose, and eye irritation; stomach irritation, abscesses.

PLANT DESCRIPTION: This perennial weedy grass (fig. 1) of fields, waste places, and roadsides gets its name from the long bushy flower spikes. Each long, slender, wiry bristle bears small teeth or barbs that point backwards like tiny fishhooks.

SIGNS: The seed heads (especially the awns) of this and several other types of grasses can cause mechanical irritation to the skin, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and stomach of animals. The grasses can cause problems in pasture as well as in prepared feeds like hay. Embedded seed heads can cause local irritation and infections, or become more deeply embedded in tissues and migrate in the body. Irritation and infection often develop, necessitating removal of the plant matter. Signs depend on location of the seed awn, and can include head shaking; sneezing; nasal or ocular discharge; rubbing at the ears, eyes, or mouth; difficulty in chewing or swallowing; or signs of digestive disturbance. Yellow or green foxtail, rye and millet can cause similar problems.

FIRST AID: For minor irritation, supportive care is all that is required. Minor irritations will resolve in about a day. If any of the following are noted, a veterinarian needs to be contacted: if signs are severe, if signs of irritation do not resolve, if the eyes or ears are involved, or if the animal cannot eat. Infections and abscesses require veterinary care, and some awns may need surgical removal.

SAFETY IN PREPARED FEEDS: Small amounts incorporated in hay and other feeds may not cause much harm, most animals will avoid eating these plants if better quality feed is available (good hay and feeds do not contain many seed heads of these grasses). Hay and other feeds containing large quantities of these seed heads are not safe for consumption, especially if animals are forced to eat these feeds.
PREVENTION: These plants are common weeds in pastures and along roadsides. If problems occur with these plants, consider mowing to reduce seedhead formation or otherwise removing them. The foxtail that commonly grows in the western U.S. (Setaria) is especially problematic and animals should have little or no contact with this grass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Article with photos and information about Foxtails
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/dogs/foxtails.html

"A serious hazard for field dogs, or any dogs in the field, are the hard seed-bearing structures of some kinds of grasses, often called "foxtails". These structures have sharp points at one end, and microscopic barbs, so that they easily move in the direction of the point, but not the other way. They "work in", but they don't "work out". They can become imbedded in the hair, especially the paws and ears, and in nostrils and even eyes. As they work their way in, they cause infection, and if not treated can sometimes be fatal. Southern California has a number of different grasses with this nasty feature, most of them originally from Mediterranean Europe, and most of them common."

Tehya ~~
Take a lil HINT ---

Clear your next "Adventure" with Mom - Before you start the activity!

{{{Hugs}}} to your Frustrated Mom ...
Best Wishes to Tehya for a NO-Zipper fix at the White Coats!

;)

Glacier
08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Wooo PT....

I'm going for a nap now! The vet lady can't get a good look at my throat and I'm drooling a bit! So she called my Mom and got permission to send me for a little sleep! They are gonna look all down my throat and see if there is something stuck there or if it's all swollen. They think I might have hucked that foxtail up, but my throat is still bugging me. They're gonna check it out, pull the bad things out if there are any and give me some medicine. They probably won't have to cut my tummy open! Phew! I get to go home around six o'clock.

Mr. Phred, I was eating regular grass when Mom let me out of my pen. I was trying to eat anything I could just to make my throat feel better. I tried to eat some dirt and my crate blanket and a cat bed and slipper(of course, Mom took all those things away from me). I musta eaten the foxtail earlier in the day. Mom tries to pull all the foxtails whenever she sees them, but there are so many of them this year. She's gonna borrow a mower thingy on the weekend and mow 'em down and rake 'em up! That won't get rid of them forever, but it will get rid of the bad parts for now.

Mom says if I am a good girl when I get home, she will let me sleep on the big bed with her tonight! I think I would like that....ohhhhh, I'm getting very sleepy now!

Nite, PT
I will woo again when I wake up!

Killearn Kitties
08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Oh Teyha! Good luck sweetheart. We will see you later!

pitc9
08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh Teyha.... you silly puppy!!

I hope you feel better after your nap at the vet!

kallisto4529
08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Oh gees!!!! Tehya this is Reilly, I know just how you feel, those stinking vet people did that to me while my mommy and daddy were on vacation, but mine was cause I keep getting this stupid thingy on my eyes. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon and you get to sleep on the big bed tonight, I love when mom lets me sleep on it too :p I eat everything in sight too, so don't feel lonely in that. My daycare calls me "hoover"...once I even ate a hair scrunchy thingy, I thought it was great, boy I wont do that again, mommy and daddy had to force stuff down me and made me puke!!!!!!!!!!!!! yuko Take it easy and when you come back i will Woo with you.
slurpy licks for ya.
Reilly.

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2007, 03:41 PM
:(

WOOF, Tehya!

So Sorry you gotta take a VetNap this afternoon, Tehya.
Here's Hopin it's just a SHORT Nappy and she finds that durn FoxTail wiffout
a lotta phussin an diggin!

We'll send God a CC: of this note, so He can keep a God'sEye onna FoxTail Hunt.

HOLLER iffin da Whit Coat Gurl needs any Help!!
Check in when ya getz back onna Husky Pharm, Tehya.

Prayers onna Way!!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
CC: to God

cassiesmom
08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
wooooo, precious Tehya ... I like to read happy stories about you and this one is not happy :confused: I hope you will feel much better soon!

joycenalex
08-10-2007, 03:52 PM
tehya, i will keep woooooing for you...wags alex the wonder dog wooooooo, wooooooo

Daisy and Delilah
08-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, Tehya, we don't even know what a foxtail is. However, thanks to Mr. Phred, we do now.

Your life is just one adventure after another isn't it, sweetheart? We hope you are going to be as good as new real soon and you get to come back home :) Feel Better Tehya!!

wolf_Q
08-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Woo Tehya, this is Keva...I had a foxtail incident too. I got one stuck up my nose. I sneezed so much I made it bleed and mom had to take me to the emergency vet late at night. It wasn't fun at all, sorry you've had a bad time with foxtails too! --Keva

K9karen
08-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Tehya! Dis is Klo, mistress of the city. I dont tink we have foxxytails here so at furst, I dought yews meant a REAL foxes's tail so I was bery bery confused :confused: and now I feel like da silly goof I am.

I hope by da timee you c dis dat you are home in da BIG bed feelin bettar! Da bid bed always makes me feels beddar!!! I know dat beein a pupster, you just go for wat looks yummy. Plz be more careful cuz we luv u and want u healdthy and safe. Play hard when ya feel beddar!!!

cyber-sibes
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Wooos, Tehya. i'm keeping my paws crossed that you feel much MUCH better wen you wake up. I've never eaten a foxtail, and now that I know how bad they are, I will woo at this silly boy Jack if I see him go near them because he has a thing for eating grass. I got to sleep on a big bed a few days ago, it was soo nice! Enjoy your nap.
Woos, Star

Queen of Poop
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Wooos Tehya, Sasha and I are sitting here having a snuggle. We were talking about your situation and we're both praying that the nice white coats fix you up real good. Hugs for you sweet thing!!!

Catty1
08-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Green Foxtails
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/4474396-lg.jpg

Late summer/early fall
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:vILz981KZzbmCM:http://www.phinxphotography.com/images/FoxTails525x350.jpg

Heck, our DAD told us to NEVER eat them. A small child could choke on these things!

Get better, Tehya!

Glacier
08-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Wooo everyone,

I am home now. I just woke up from snuggling with Mom. She has to go feed the other dogs in a few minutes. I don't get any dinner tonight cuz I'm still kinda wobbly and I'd probably just puke it back up!

The vet lady found a "large number of foxtails" in my throat and my tongue and my tonsils! No wonder my mouth felt so gross! She took them all out, but now everything in there is all swollen. I have to take some prednisone pills for awhile to make the swelling go away. There's a whole page of stuff Mom has to do for a few days--wet my food and raise my bowl, no walking with my collar, and make sure I don't eat any grass. The vet says I'm gonna try to eat grass cuz doggers think that will help our throats!

I have to go in my crate for awhile now. Wooo to you later, PT. Thanks for alla the prayers and such today. I guess I'm glad that Mom took me to the vet place today!

Tehya

k9krazee
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Glad you're on the road to recovery Tehya!! You'll be back to your adventures in no time!

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2007, 09:46 PM
The vet lady found a "large number of foxtails"
in my throat and my tongue and my tonsils! No wonder my mouth felt so gross!

She took them all out, but now everything in there is all swollen.

There's a whole page of stuff Mom has to do for a few days -- wet my food
and raise my bowl, no walking with my collar,
and make sure I don't eat any grass.
The vet says I'm gonna try to eat grass cuz doggers think that will help our throats!

Was this all *necessary*, Miz Tehya? :rolleyes:

Your poor Mom (now poor in more ways than one :p ) NEEDS you to Smarten Up and
stop actin like a GOOF-Ball!

You been to Furst Grade yet?
Mebbee you need to try Kindy-Garden --- sumwhere to learn what NOT to *munch* on!

Glad this latest MIS-adventure seems to be over ... try just *chillin* fur awhile.

{{{Hugs}}} for Mom!!

Twisterdog
08-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Heck, our DAD told us to NEVER eat them. A small child could choke on these things!

My dad told us that, too. It was one of his rare "serious" talks, so I always remembered it. :eek:

Tehya, have some carrots next time instead. ;)

Catty1
08-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Glad you are better, Tehya. Now you need to have a really picky appetite when you dine outdoors!

Heck, your mom is gonna have to start feeding you hay or alfalfa pills...naw, not as much fun as chewin' the REAL things.

'Cept 'real' wasn't too much fun, was it?

I hope your throat is all healed up soon!

HUGS!

pitc9
08-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Glad your feeling better sweetie!
There are PLENTLY of other good things you can eat besides those nasty things honey!!

Get better soon!

Whisk_Luva
08-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Glad to know you are home, Tehya!

Hope you feel 100% better soon!

ramanth
08-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Tehya! I'm so glad the vet got them all out. No more foxtails!

I hope you get better soon. *hugs*

anna_66
08-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Whoa:eek: There for a minute I thought you had eaten "real" foxtails...silly me:o

I'm very glad to hear your doing good girl. Keeping mommy on her toes aren't you?!

Hugs and kisses!

Daisy and Delilah
08-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Tehya, Mom has enough to do already!! Be a good girl and stay out of the foxtails from now on. Glad to hear you're home and on the mend. :)

Those foxtails are beautiful but not for doggies :eek:

Queen of Poop
08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
We are glad you're home and on the mend sweetie pie.

Glacier
08-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Wooo PT

Just thought I'd let y'all know that I am doing good today!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/teyface-1.jpg
See, I have some 'tude and everything! Mom says I'm a little quieter than usual, but she also says that might be a good thing. Lippy Mom! I got a serious case of the zoomies this afternoon. Mom was laughing me while I ran in circles as fast as my little legs can go. All the big dogs were napping in the sun!

I've been taking my pills like a good girl. They make me very thirsty and then I have to pee all the time! Not sure how that's gonna work in my crate, guess I'll have to whine to get out!

I supervised Mom while she got rid of the foxtails and some other weeds. They aren't dangerous to me like the foxtails, but Mom hates them so she ripped them up too! There's still more to pull tomorrow!

Nite PT
Tehya

dukedogsmom
08-12-2007, 04:45 AM
You silly girl! This is the first I've seen of this. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'll bet it was a lot of fun watching you zoom all over the place. Gullible me thought you had eaten a REAL foxtail :p That pic really shows some tude so we know you're getting back to your normal self.

Whisk_Luva
08-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Awww Tehya! I love that photo of you! :D

Glad to know you are getting better and taking your pills like a good girl ;)

anna_66
08-12-2007, 06:17 AM
I've been taking my pills like a good girl. They make me very thirsty and then I have to pee all the time! Not sure how that's gonna work in my crate, guess I'll have to whine to get out!

Yeah that prednisone really does a number on ya doesn't it girl? I'm sure mom will just hear a little whimper and be up like a flash to let you out:)

Glad you were feeling good enough for zoomies!!!

I tell you, that's such a good picture I feel like I could reach through the computer screen and give you a big ol' kiss:D

cyber-sibes
08-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I tell you, that's such a good picture I feel like I could reach through the computer screen and give you a big ol' kiss:DLOL, me too!!! Well, as long as your 'tude is back, I guess we can all breathe a sigh of relief! Sure wish we were closer to you, I'd love to see you breeze by doing zoomies!

luvofallhorses
08-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry I just saw this, Tehya! :o I am glad you're feeling better, pretty girl! :) NO more fox tails for you missy!

pitc9
08-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Good girl for taking your pills!
Oh just look at that face...You are such a cutie pie!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Hello beautiful - just saw this. Glad you are feeling better now :D

cassiesmom
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I tell you, that's such a good picture I feel like I could reach through the computer screen and give you a big ol' kiss:D

Me too!!!

woooo,
elyse

Glacier
08-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone.

I am still doing good. A few times I have made weird hacking noises, but that's it. I still have a bunch more pills to take so that noise will go away. My throat is feeling better. I ate my whole dinner last night. I haven't been eating very much and Mom says there ain't much to me to start with so missing meals is a bad thing. She has to soak my kibble for me and she adds some tasty stuff to it.

Last night, Sleet thought she should finish my bowl! Oh, I don't think so, old dog! I wolfed down all the rest of it, but I was nice to Sleet about it. Mom gets very mad if anyone is even a little bit mean to Sleet. Sleet has "geezer privledges", which are even better than my puppy privledges!

I learned a new trick yesterday!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202007/trio.jpg
I can get up on the flat bed truck now! Mom likes to sit up there and hang out with us, but I was never big enough to jump up there. Mom didn't see me do it, but I found a way! Now when she snuggles with Anvik, I can get in there too! :D

WOOOOOOs
Tehya

finn's mom
08-15-2007, 10:07 PM
That last photo is absolutely beautiful!!!! WOW. What a gorgeous sky and those beautiful faces, puppy and human alike. :)

I'm glad Tehya's feeling better now, she's such a pretty girl. :)

Queen of Poop
08-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Love the photo!! Such a happy bunch.

cyber-sibes
08-16-2007, 06:47 AM
That's a beautiful photo! It look like Annie's happy to have you back, too, Tehya. BTW, who took the picture? Are mom's arms long enough to do that herself?!?

"Geezer priveledges?" Sounds good to this ol' gal, too! Something to look forward to besides wrinkles! :rolleyes:

Glacier
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
That's a beautiful photo! It look like Annie's happy to have you back, too, Tehya. BTW, who took the picture? Are mom's arms long enough to do that herself?!?

"Geezer priveledges?" Sounds good to this ol' gal, too! Something to look forward to besides wrinkles! :rolleyes:

WOOOO Ms. Pat

Yup, my Mom tooked that picture of us herself. She is very tall and has long arms! The only pictures we have of her are self-portraits, except from when my Grandma comes to visit(but she aint' been here in a long time, i've never even met her in real life!). Grandma takes even more pictures than my Mom! :eek:

Geezer privledges are great. Sleet can basically do whatever she wants. She can stay in the house all day, doesn't have to be in a crate ever, Mom will open the door 50 times a day for her, she never goes out in the rain or when it's really cold, she has a squishy bed that no one else is allowed to use, no one is allowed to be mean to Sleet, not even growl at her, she gets treats--special geezer treats! Pingo and Paxil and Bandit have some geezer privledges too, but Bandit doesn't take advantage of them very often!

Mom says I better start to be more careful or I'll never get geezer privledges! :rolleyes: Course I do have some puppy privledges--that means when I mess up, the humans say "oh she's just a puppy, she's still learning." and I don't get in too much trouble. I hear those are coming to an end soon though cuz I won't really be a puppy much longer!

WOOOOO
Tehya

Ginger's Mom
08-16-2007, 11:36 AM
What a sweet picture. :) Although it looks like Annie has lost the last place he had to snuggle alone with Mom. ;) Don't worry about losing your puppy privileges, Tehya, I have a feeling that you are a very smart little girl and you aren't going to need them that much longer anyway. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better, sweetie.