PDA

View Full Version : OSPCA suspends licence of Toronto animal cruelty officer

Catty1
08-10-2007, 12:38 AM
No comment from me...wonder what else he could have done? ;)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/09082007/3/canada-ospca-suspends-licence-toronto-animal-cruelty-officer.html

OSPCA suspends licence of Toronto animal cruelty officer

2 hours, 19 minutes ago

TORONTO (CBC) - An animal cruelty investigator for Toronto's Humane Society has had his licence suspended following an incident in which a man was left handcuffed to a car while his pet was taken away for medical treatment.

The captive man later claimed to police he was assaulted while chained to his car.

The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said Thursday it would suspend Tre Smith's investigator's licence, pending an investigation of his actions.

It was on a sweltering July 31 afternoon when Smith rushed to save a Rottweiler named Cyrus, who had been sealed in a parked car that was roasting at temperatures nearing 70 C. Smith smashed the car window to retrieve Cyrus, CBC was told, and with the help of bystanders began rehydrating and cooling down the animal.

When Cyrus's owner returned to his car, the owner was handcuffed to the vehicle and left alone while Cyrus was taken away for treatment. It was during that time, the owner alleged, that the angry mob already gathered at the scene began beating him.

Police arrived later to find the man bleeding and still chained to the vehicle.

Smith said at the time that he shackled the pet owner because he wanted to ensure he would not be able to dodge possible animal cruelty charges. At the same time, Smith added, he also needing to urgently tend to Cyrus.

It was not clear how long Smith's suspension would remain in effect, as it not yet known how long the OSCPA's review will last.

Cyrus is reportedly recovering well.

moosmom
08-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Serves the jerk right for leaving that poor animal in a hot, sweltering car!! :mad: :mad:

wombat2u2004
08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
WOW....I would have kicked him while he was handcuffed. :p
Wom

Blue_Frog
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I've been following the story on the news around here (since it's been on the radio etc.) -- if anyone wants to read more, and see pictures of Cyrus (who is doing quite well aparently), visit http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/

wombat2u2004
08-10-2007, 09:58 AM
I've been following the story on the news around here (since it's been on the radio etc.) -- if anyone wants to read more, and see pictures of Cyrus (who is doing quite well aparently), visit http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/

Poor Cyrus, he looks like a great dog to.
Thanx for the link ;)
Wom

king2005
08-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I haven't heard a thing about this until just now!
Poor Cyrus :( I hope his organs are going to be ok. Honestly I hope the OSPCA officers just gets a slap on the whrist & this will go to court & there will be more animal rights made. Pets have so little to no rights here. Its so sad :(

Lady's Human
08-10-2007, 10:53 AM
While on one hand what happened could be considered poetic justice, the officer should be terminated. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Had this happened with a normal police officer (leaving a suspect handcuffed somewhere while running off to catch another perp, for example) or the individual had died while being beaten by the mob, people would be screaming for the cop's head.

king2005
08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
While on one hand what happened could be considered poetic justice, the officer should be terminated. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Had this happened with a normal police officer (leaving a suspect handcuffed somewhere while running off to catch another perp, for example) or the individual had died while being beaten by the mob, people would be screaming for the cop's head.

I'll still stand up for that cop & would have prob been one of the people doing the beating (ONLY if there was 100% proof the perp was at fault.. Like we saw him do a hit & run.. then ya I'd kick him). Our justice system sucks often, so these perps get nothing, so getting beaten, just might wake them up. I know it woke my sister up.

Lady's Human
08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
So battery against someone who is incapable of defending themselves is okay?

Catty1
08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I wish there were as many cops as Animal Control officers...then again, this guy could have called an officer to watch the guy. But the dog was near death...how soon would a cop get there???

Better to put one of the "mob" in charge.... :(

Tough call and sad situation...

CathyBogart
08-10-2007, 04:57 PM
It was a hard call, and he may have made the wrong one. I hope Cyrus' owner gets charged for leaving that poor pup sweltering for over 2 hours.

jackie
08-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Was the man wrong in leaving a dog in a hot car?

Absolutely.

Was the officer wrong in leaving him handcuffed to a car?

I think so.

Like someone said, two wrongs don't make a right, I just hope that the dog is alright.

lizbud
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
He should have called for back up/transport for the man, but he did the
right thing in getting medical attention for the animal.