PDA

View Full Version : Biting the leash

lisahumphreys882
08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I have a question...it's kind of silly but I'll ask anyway. Benji, whenever I walk him, will randomly start biting at his leash in a playful way. And he does it at certain points in our walk. It seems like he always starts when I'm close to getting back home. And he does it sometimes in the same spot each time. And he'll do it for a few seconds and then stop. Does anyone else's dog do this? Do you know why he does this? Oh and he seems happy and playful when he's doing it. I thought maybe he was excited to get home or something.

Freedom
08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I've known many dogs who do that, not sure why. Just enjoy!

I always like to think they want to prove they are grown up and can walk themselves, he he!

Karen
08-09-2007, 08:02 PM
It's a game. We only kind of regretted teaching Gracie, our huge black mostly Great Dane that game, but she didn't learn many games, really, and she so liked that one. We'd play "kill the leash" and she'd grab it, shake it, growling and wagging to beat the band.

It wasn't until she and I were bored, standing outside a shopping mall one day, playing "bad leash" that I realized people were gtting the wrong impression. They'd stand 7-10 feet away, and carefully inquire "Are you okay, Miss? Do you need help?" They didn't understand that the growling and lunging was all playing - and I was in no danger whatsoever. In fact, no one was ever in danger from Gracie, she had not a predatory bone in her body, and the only damage she ever really did once she got past teething stage was bruise people's legs with her frantically wagging tail!