PDA

View Full Version : How to stop cats from ruining TV?

jazzcat
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Our 12 year old large picture tube style TV died Monday night and now we've finally upgraded to a large LCD TV. BIG PROBLEM now. A few of the cats used to climb the back of the old TV to either sit on it or to get up to the mantle over the fireplace. The way it sat on the stand they couldn't get up the front of the old TV, just that big picture tube back.

Now with the new very thin LCD they wouldn't be able to sit on top but I'm sure that won't stop them from trying so we tried to anchor down the base of the TV to the stand - problem solved on that one I pray but now we have a whole new problem. The cats can get in front of the TV on the stand and try to jump up there possibly scratching and ruining the delicate TV screen. ARGH!

We don't have a cabinet or armoire with doors for it, it just sits on a stand and that is all that will fit there because it's in a corner next to a large rock hearth. There is no space for a cabinet to sit there and there is absolutely no other place in the room to put the TV. Last night I covered it with a large piece of cardboard folded over the front and back but that looks horrible and won't last, especially with my curious cats.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Things have been going so rough here lately with the cats that I'm afraid if anything happens to that new TV Richard will evict us all.

shais_mom
08-09-2007, 11:35 AM
is there any way you can put something behind it so they can't get back there? now only scratching the delicate screen but I'm sure its so light that it would topple over!!
:Eek:
When I had my larger entertainment center Kylie would go behind there by going beside the tv to get away from Kloe - don't think Kloe was ever back there. I never worried about her going back there I worried about her coming out and I just had a regular ol' tv. Now I have a corner entertainment stand that takes up the corner and gave me about 3 more feet at least of living room!! good luck.

Medusa
08-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Oh boy, I had that problem, too. Creamsicle used to like to sit on the cable box cuz it was so warm. When I moved to this house, the cable box went into an armoire and no room for Cgirl. So she decided she liked the back of my computer. Well. I got a new computer, thin flat screen and again, nowhere for Cgirl to sit. Guess what? She got it. She figured it out and has never tried to jump up on it. I kept my water gun at the ready just in case but I've never needed it. In the meantime, though, try covering your TV screen with a pretty throw when you're not around (feng shui appropriate, of course ;) ) and hopefully, your cats won't scratch the screen if they do decide to try to jump. Good luck.

Freedom
08-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I have never used these and have a clue if they work. But would a scat mat on the floor in front of the TV for a week or so to help train them?

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/scatmat/scatmat.htm

There are lots out there, probably some with better prices, I am just giving one link for you to see what they are.

RICHARD
08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Any suggestions? Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Things have been going so rough here lately with the cats that I'm afraid if anything happens to that new TV Richard will evict us all.

Let them use the remote control on occasion? :eek:

Laura's Babies
08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
My problem when I replaced my BIG OLE TV with a newer more up to date one was they realized they can get behind it so I stacked some books back there to cut off their path. So far, that has worked.

Have you tried the tin foil? Or a couple of cans with coins in them.... something to break the habit of them even going near it...

K & L
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
We had this problem only with our computer screen. Kevin took a cardboard box and made a cover to slip over it when not in use. When I get home I'll take a picture and attach.

kimlovescats
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Lori, Jerry bought a big screen TV for upstairs ... his new media room. He has banned the kitties from "his" room now for that very same reason. Only thing I can think of is to mount it on the wall somehow? Alot of people are mounting flatscreens over their fireplaces now.

How is everything else going, or do I dare ask? ;)

jazzcat
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to look into the scat mats.

K&L - I'd love to see Kevin's cardboard design. What I used last night would fall off easily and the cats can still get under it.

Richard did think of one idea. Maybe we could cut plexiglass to fit over the TV screen somehow. We could put it on when the TV is not in use. Since it's clear it wouldn't be a big eye sore in the middle of the living room.

Kim - Richard wants to mount the TV over the fireplace but after visiting my brother who had his up high I found it really hurt my neck to look up all the time. It was great when I was stretched out on the couch but stunk when sitting up. In fact my brother is changing his because it's so uncofortable for them. That would be the perfect solution with the cats though. If we don't come up with a fix for how it is now I may have to learn to live with a stiff neck. ;)

Richard - last time I let the cats use the remote we were stuck watching a Meerkat Manor marathon. :D

Ginger's Mom
08-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I did a google search to see if there was anything like the protector that I put over my camera monitor that was big enough for a TV. The only thing I came up with was this (http://www.nushield.com/manufacturer.php?apptypeid=LCD%2FPlasma+TV+and+Rem ote+Control). I see a 42" protector is $40.00, any other size you have to
"custom order." It's not exactly cheap but not too bad of an investment to save a large screen TV.

jazzcat
08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
I did a google search to see if there was anything like the protector that I put over my camera monitor that was big enough for a TV. The only thing I came up with was this (http://www.nushield.com/manufacturer.php?apptypeid=LCD%2FPlasma+TV+and+Rem ote+Control). I see a 42" protector is $40.00, any other size you have to
"custom order." It's not exactly cheap but not too bad of an investment to save a large screen TV.
Ooh, that NuShield sounds interesting, thanks! I wonder how well it would stand up to cat claws. I have a 46" so maybe that wouldn't cost much more to make. Would definitely be a worthwhile investment if it can withstand cat claws!

kt_luvs_kitties
08-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Lori, they have those SSScat cat mats at my local Big Lots for 12.00. Try your local one, and if they dont have them, I can pick one up for you... Hope this helps, KT and kits

catmandu
08-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I was thinking too of a plastic screen. I had one for my Panasonic Projection TV and it worked fine. Now I dont have cable but I leave the console on as they like to sleep on it when its warm.
Its a nice bed for them.

Catlady711
08-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I have never used these and have a clue if they work. But would a scat mat on the floor in front of the TV for a week or so to help train them?

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/scatmat/scatmat.htm

There are lots out there, probably some with better prices, I am just giving one link for you to see what they are.

I tried one of those when Pooky & Bear first started counter cruizing.

It has small wires inside it about 1 inch apart. The idea is when they walk on it they touch two or more wires and it zaps them with a static shock (we tried it on ourselves first, it's very much like a static poke).

However between Pooky having very fuzzy feet and Bear having small delicate feet (kinda weird for a 17 lb cat lol) they managed to either walk right over the wires or in between them. I had finally notched it up to doberman setting and still couldn't figure out how they defeated it until I caught them and saw what they were doing. Fortunately I'd had it less than the 30 day trial period so I could ship it back and get a refund.

The thing could be worth a try if your cats don't have overly fuzzy feet or very small feet and alot of smarts. I got mine through Foster's & Smith with the 30 day trial period.