PDA

View Full Version : Need photo help

Freedom
08-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I bought the new camera 6 weeks ago. Canon A560.

When I look at my photos on my PC, in My Folders, they look fine.

When I upload to photobucket and on to Pet Talk, they look fine.

When I want to print them out, I select 3 x 5 for the size and they look fine.

When I attach them to email, they are HUMONGOUS!

I have Photoshop Elements 5.0; HP Media; Windows Media; and the Canon software which came with the camera.

I just don't know enough to have anuy idea how to start fixing their size.

If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send you photo so you can see the problem first hand!

kittycats_delight
08-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Sandra, send me the pic and I will see if I can see the problem. I am pretty sure I know what it is though. You should have my email address if not it is kittycatsdelight at gmail dot com.

KittyGurl
08-09-2007, 01:11 PM
You just need to make them smaller some how. If you right click on the picture, you should see options like Edit, Properties, Preview and Print. Click on Edit and it should take you to Paint. Does the picture look big? If it does scroll down and right until you come to the bottom right of the page. Put your mouse right where the picture ends and you should see a little black mouse. Once you see that you drag the picture up and sideways. It should make it bigger and smaller.

Sorry it is so confusing. I'm not really good at giving directions for computer and stuff.

Can you send me the picture? My yahoo is [email protected]

Freedom
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM
OK, well now I am embarrassed. :o

Kittycats_delight, a few weeks back, you sent me screen shots how to adjust a siggy in photoshop. You resized mine for me and so I just stored the info.

I went through step by step and got them down in size.

Gee, it works!

Thanks to you and KittyGurl for kind offers to help.

So I guess I need to do this with each photo I take on the new camera. I want to see if there is a way in the PC software which came with the camera to do a whole group at once, rather than one by one.

I'll bet both of you are younger than me! He he.
Sandie

kittycats_delight
08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
There should be a setting on your camera for size. On mine it is under quality but one my old one it was just sizing. Check your manual or check the menu on your camera. Mine is set super high so the size is huge. I don't usually send my through email so I don't resize. And when I upload them to photobucket I have it automatically selected for the size I want. The only way I resize is if I attach them here instead of uploading them or if I send them through IM to my mom.

Ooops got off track there. But if you check your camera there should be a setting there for you to change the image size so you don't have to resize them all the time.

Michelle

P.S. I forgot I sent you those screenshots. And it was exactly what I figured it was causing them to be so large. Atleast those screenshots came in handy. :)

OK, well now I am embarrassed. :o

Kittycats_delight, a few weeks back, you sent me screen shots how to adjust a siggy in photoshop. You resized mine for me and so I just stored the info.

I went through step by step and got them down in size.

Gee, it works!

Thanks to you and KittyGurl for kind offers to help.

So I guess I need to do this with each photo I take on the new camera. I want to see if there is a way in the PC software which came with the camera to do a whole group at once, rather than one by one.

I'll bet both of you are younger than me! He he.
Sandie

Cinder & Smoke
08-09-2007, 07:44 PM
There should be a setting on your camera for size.

If you check your camera there should be a setting there for you to change the image size
so you don't have to resize them all the time.

CAUTION!! ~~~ Think about this!

*IF* you adjust the Camera settings to take all shots at a low resolution, or
low number of pixels --- you might regret that decision IF you want to later <PRINT> some
of those photos. Pictures re-sized or initially shot at low resolution, which may look great
on an E-mail - cannot be photo-printed above 3"x5" or sometimes 4"x6" in size
without looking very grainy. (Photo seems to lack "detail".

It's better to let the camera SHOOT at High Resolution; then either use a PhotoShop type
program to reduce (and store in a DIFFERENT file location) or let Windows send the
picture to your e-mail program as a "smaller" file.

/s/ Phred

Freedom
08-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh good, Phred, thanks for that.

But hey, you are the wrong generation to know this techie stuff! You are making me feel REALLY out of touch!

dukedogsmom
08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I always take my pics at the highest resolution. They can always be sized down. Then, you have no regrets.

kittycats_delight
08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
CAUTION!! ~~~ Think about this!

*IF* you adjust the Camera settings to take all shots at a low resolution, or
low number of pixels --- you might regret that decision IF you want to later <PRINT> some
of those photos. Pictures re-sized or initially shot at low resolution, which may look great
on an E-mail - cannot be photo-printed above 3"x5" or sometimes 4"x6" in size
without looking very grainy. (Photo seems to lack "detail".

It's better to let the camera SHOOT at High Resolution; then either use a PhotoShop type
program to reduce (and store in a DIFFERENT file location) or let Windows send the
picture to your e-mail program as a "smaller" file.

/s/ Phred

On my old camera you could reduce the size and it had no bearing on the resolution. The resolution (quality) was a completely different setting. I don't know squat about the canon A560 but thought maybe it would be in the manual. I should have been more specific. My new camera the size and resolution are one and the same. This is why I always take pictures on the highest quality/size setting. If downsizing the pic would mean losing the quality then I would choose to resize on my own afterwards.

Vette
08-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I always take my pics at the highest resolution. They can always be sized down. Then, you have no regrets.

Same with me.

unless your resizing them for posting on a board or email.. i dont see the point in having a nice camera an than turning around an resizing it down to where you cant see the details.

what i do is keep the originals an rename the ones i resize to something else. so that way there the originals dont get overrode. than after im done i delete the resized versions.

Jessika
08-10-2007, 11:13 PM
On my old camera you could reduce the size and it had no bearing on the resolution. The resolution (quality) was a completely different setting. I don't know squat about the canon A560 but thought maybe it would be in the manual. I should have been more specific. My new camera the size and resolution are one and the same. This is why I always take pictures on the highest quality/size setting. If downsizing the pic would mean losing the quality then I would choose to resize on my own afterwards.
You probably took pictures at a lower-quality but not necessarily at a lower resolution, which can usually be done. I know on my camera I can choose a resolution AND a compression (normal, fine, superfine, etc) and define each separately (as you say you can do with your powershot, same with my powershots :)).

I always recommend taking pictures at the highest resolution and highest quality possible because, as previously mentioned, pictures can always be resized later on the computer and there will be no "oh crap, this picture is to small to print an 8x10", etc.

Another think; say you have a 6MP camera and the highest resolution/quality is 2048x1536 (just using this as an example!).

IF you chose to shoot images at 1024x768 instead to save space on your memory card, you are now shooting at HALF the megapixels.

In order to get a TRUE whatever-MP image from your camera, you will have to shoot at optimal conditions (highest resolution, highest quality), otherwise you are wasting your camera's potential to shoot at it's optimal quality and, therefore, wasting money on getting a higher-MP camera when you aren't even using those MP in the first place.

I hope that made sense... hehe

Also, to answer your original question, the reason why they looked fine until you emailed them is because when you view them on your computer, they are automatically resized to fit your screen. When you upload them to photobucket, photobucket automatically compresses and resizes them to a smaller size. When you print them out they look great because they were a high-resolution and high-quality image in the first place :) They looked HUGE in the e-mail because that is the size of the actual image, as stored on your hard drive. In fact, if you open your image on the computer once again, there should be an icon on the bottom of the screen to "view image actual size", and that is the real size of the image :D