PDA

View Full Version : Notarize something??

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Where do you take soemthing to get it notarized? Post office? Lawyer's office? County Court House??

Ginger's Mom
08-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Lawyers can notarize anything, because they are officers of the court, but I don't know how much they would charge. The courthouse is also a very good place to get something notarized, I am sure there is one there and they will probably only charge you around $5.00 to do it. But, don't you live on base? Is there a services office of some sort on base? They probably have someone who is a notary. It is fairly easy to get your notary license (at least in NJ it is).

Craftlady
08-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I'd go to the court house or bank.

Lady's Human
08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Assuming you're on a base, there should be notaries available through the post legal office.

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm trying to figure it out for when we sell my husband's car. It will need to be notarized in Ohio while we are here in Texas. I'm trying to have all the info on hand to make the sale as easy as possible on the buyer. :D Will any bank notarize or do you need to be a member?

Ginger's Mom
08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I am sorry Missy, I am a little confused now. Do you want someone in another state to notarize something for you? I think generally what notary's do is notarize your signature as actually being you. So you need to be present and present photo identification. As to you whether a bank will notarize the signature of someone who is not a customer, I think that may vary according the the bank's individual policy. Some may some may not. Why do you need it to be notarized in Ohio if you are not signing over the paperwork in Ohio? I'm sorry if I am getting this all wrong.

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Usually the bank will notarize for no fee if you have an account. They will charge a fee if you are not. The fee is small.

You should sign the document IN FRONT OF THE NOTARY....unless they know you well they should require that you do so as that is what they are attesting to.

Kinko's or the like would also likely have a notary.

Karen
08-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Most banks have someone who is a notary on staff. You need not be a bank's customer, as notaries are not even allowed to be reimbursed for their services. Most banks, most law offices, and certainly city hall all have a notary public on board, I have a friend who is a notary because her husband is a contractor, and they needed one often for his business paperwork.

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
I should explain better. The car is in Ohio with my brother. We are here in Texas but need to sell the car. We will need to give someone a power of attorney to sell the car for us but I am trying to figure out where they will need to take both the POA and the title so that they can sign it in front of a notary to transfer the title from our name to the name of the new owners. I have all of the details ironed out about what I have to do to have everything legal and official but I just want to make it more convenient for my brother or the buyer to get the title transfered to the name of the new buyer. Make sense?? I've already spoken with the title office so I am just trying to have a list of places that I can give to the buyer or my brother of places that he can go to get the title transfered to the new owner. THAT must be done in front of a notary WITH the power of attorney that I will be giving them.
Make sense?? It's complicated :)

RedHedd
08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Most banks or financial institutions (including law firms) have notaries too. This site may help answer some of your questions:

http://www.nationalnotary.org/

The maximum a notary may legally charge is $4 per signature, so don't get ripped off.

Logan
08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Do not be surprised if a bank asks for a small fee to be paid for using their notary services, especially if you aren't a customer. And Edwina's Secretary is right, the document will have to be signed in the presence of the notary. And of course, that Power of Attorney will probably have to be legally filed and notarized, too! :rolleyes:

lbaker
08-09-2007, 11:39 AM
My local drug store has a notary, I've never been charged but it's a small, local drug store, not a chain.

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
yep we will go before a notary to get the power of attorney:) It's simple on our end because yes we can be seen on the base at the legal office :) Thanks for the info everyone. I will check out that website!

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
A bite of a tangent...but aren't notaries regulated by the state? With each state having its own rules (and therefore...differences?)

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
A bite of a tangent...but aren't notaries regulated by the state? With each state having its own rules (and therefore...differences?)

I've already made phone calls and verified that my POA will be fine in Ohio. I have also verified that we are fulfilling all of the requirements. I don't need an independant notary here in Texas because I have the base legal office that will give us the POA.The only thing that I wanted to know was where to find a notary so that I can pass that info along and make it easier on the people involved in transfering the vehicle title :) When we give the individual the vehicle POA we are giving them the right to act in our name to do everything that is necessary to transfer the title. Finding a notary to make the title transfer official is their "problem" but I'm just trying to be nice and give tham examples of where they can go. :)

Edwina's Secretary
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I am just curious...in Mass...apparently they cannot charge $ to notarize and in California a notary can charge $4. Just makes me wonder how different the different states are about these things!

I know one state honors a notarized signature from another state...having been through that when we bought and sold while living in different states!

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I have no idea about all that. I know that it is ridiculously easy to become a notary in some states though. Fill out a form, take an oath, buy your pretty embossing seal, charge $4 a signature :D
I wonder, when my kids go to school should I become a notary so that I can notarize permission slip forms and things like that? :D :D I'd just have to tell the teachers that if that report card/detention notice/whatever doesn't have an embossed seal on it then it never made it to my hands no matter what my boys may claim :p

Of course I'd never really do such a thing, but I know that forging Mom or Dad's signature was quite common when I was in school!!

zippy-kat
08-09-2007, 01:42 PM
You might also check a bonding/insurance agency as notaries in some states must be bonded.

I know you were just joking but you can't notarize items for family but it would definitely be helpful for the other kids!

Sara, NM says you can't charge more than either $7 or $12 (I can't remember the exact amount at the moment and my "laws" are at work - will update my post when I can).

RedHedd
08-09-2007, 04:24 PM
In CA we are required to take a 6 hr. class and then we have to pass a test. It's super easy. What's amazing is that some applicants don't realize they check your background (you have to be bonded in CA) so any criminal record is a no-no, and they fingerprint you.

It's not cheap (about $500 for the whole shebang) - my firm paid for my application process last year, and it's good for four years. We don't charge our clients for our notary services - all the extras our clients get are built into the outrageous rates we charge :D

Cinder & Smoke
08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I've already made phone calls and verified that my POA will be fine in Ohio.

Finding a notary to make the title transfer official is their "problem" ...

<snikker>

I drove a rented "company car" for about 15 years ... Pennsylvania Employer,
New Jersey Rental Company, Ohio Driver and Ohio Registration (Plates).
Buying Ohio License plates for the Company Limo was always a Phunn experience!

Year #1; Mistake #1: Rent-a-Wreck sent a PRE-notarized http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif Power of Attorney form -
with MY Signature line *blank* ... And dumm me didn't *sign* in the privacy of my office ...
Noooo, i walked into the "Deputy Registrar's (read contractor for the State) Office" and
lay all my "stuff" out. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif I thought she was gonna call the Cops!
HEY!! - How's Come this POA isn't *SIGNED* yet!???
"YOU CAN'T **DO** that ... SHE should loose her Notary License!"

Oooopsie ... I'll come back tomorrow when you're less stressed!

Lucky for me, there are LOTS of Deputy Registrars in every Ohio County ...
I dropped in on another Deputy, after SIGNING my POA in the parking lot.

Of course every other year or so the usually always UN-happy Deputy Registrar Clerk would
spot the obvious inconsistency - a New Jersey Notary "witnessing" an Ohio resident's POA ...
they'd hold a minor inquisition hearing with the Manager, Head Junior Assistant Deputy, and my clerk/deputy person ... LOTS of >pointing< at my POA,
asking and re-asking what MY address was ... GOOD GRIEF - just gimmie the Plates!

I adopted a convenient "fib" that worked for years ... "Oh, I case you're wondering,
I get that POA stuff done Evey year while I'm at Corp HQ, in Jersey."
<smirk>
They'd all smear on their http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif Faces and start processing my Plates.

Heck - In twenty years I think I set foot in MY Company's Harrisburg HQ ONE time ...
and I never laid eyes on Rent-a-Wreck's New Jersey HQ! (Me NAW-Tee!)

-----------------------------
Back to the Find an Ohio Notary ...

Whoever needs his/her signature Notarized - the first or "top" signature -
is the person who needs to have a relationship with the Notary to avoid "Fees" ...

"Free" places include: his BANK branch; his Insurance Salesperson; a friend who's a Notary;
sometimes your Local Government Offices (they may tend to charge),
and an Auto Dealer he's recently dealt with.

You'll PAY the State approved Fees places include: County Government Offices;
any level of Court House; some convenience stores; large Contractor's offices;
or places that you don't have a business relationship with.
Ohio has LOTS of Notary Publics!

Another Ohio TRAP you may run into *IF* the vehicle is now titled outside of Ohio ~
the required "Vehicle Inspection" - which involves finding an "Official Ohio Vehicle Inspector"
who has to make a tracing of the "foreign vehicle's" VIN plate and verify the mileage on the speedometer.
The "Inspector's Reports" HAVE to be turned in to transfer the Title.
Ohio has a LOTTA ways to charge FEES and guarantee employment for folks!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif