View Full Version : Air Conditioner UhOh!!

Sirrahsim
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
The A/C is running constantly but the air that it is spitting out isn't cold!! I have it set down to 60 but it is 83 degrees in the house :eek: :eek: I'm melting!! Any quick fixes so that I don't have to make an emergency service call?? It's 89 degrees outside right now at after 10pm and is supposed to be in the 90s by mid morning tomorrow!!

joycenalex
08-08-2007, 10:25 PM
you're gonna need the service guy. if it was working earlier this summer, is there any chance that the area around the outside of the machine is blocked? by mulch, etc?

Cinder & Smoke
08-08-2007, 10:29 PM
The A/C is running constantly but the air that it is spitting out isn't cold!!

Open the cover for the filter ...
then *look* at the "coils" - they may look like a radiator ...

See if it's covered with ice or snow - which indicates it's "Frozen Up"! :eek:

IF you see ice or snow inside the enclosure, turn the unit's thermostat UP to HOT
and try to "defrost" it. You can hurry things up by using a Hair Dryer on the frozen parts.

HIGH Temps + High Humidity = **Frozen** ACs! :(

Try running it a little less cold - set it for a "warmer" temp -
and it will run longer between freeze-ups.

Sirrahsim
08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I'll have hubby get up and check the unit :) I usually have it set at 70 or 72 but I turned it down that low to try to coaxe some cold air out of it!! It's wierd.. It was working fine yesterday morning and I turned it up to about 76 since we were going out of town. We got back this evening and it was ridiculously hot!! Ugh I hope you are right and we can solve this!!

caseysmom
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I can see mine ice up by the unit, I shut it off for an hour then turn it back on and its usually okay, this happens occasionally. We have three zones and sometimes all the zones don't work either, I think our damper door motors need to be changed.

Sirrahsim
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
I can't see anything but that doesnt mean it's not there. I am too exhausted from our trip to spend any more time awake so I am going to turn it off and hope that that is the problem and that it is all melted by morning

Freedom
08-09-2007, 08:40 AM
When is the last time you had it charged?

Mine needs to be refilled every other year; and I am sure your gets more use than mine does.

Just a thought.

joycenalex
08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
so how is the a/c today? and have you recovered from the trip and heat?

Sirrahsim
08-09-2007, 10:43 PM
It seemed to cool better after turning it off for a while. It's much too hot to run the heat but we're going to try to continue to turn it off at night to let it thaw out some.

Cinder & Smoke
08-09-2007, 11:21 PM
It seemed to cool better after turning it off for a while.

It's much too hot to run the heat

but we're going to try to continue to turn it off at night to let it thaw out some.

It possibly was "iced up", or frozen.

"Run the Heat ?? :confused:
Is this a combination HEATER AND Air Conditioner unit?
I meant to run the unit with the temperature control set "warmER than Max COOLING" ...
still in the air condition setting range, but warmER than "Frigid/Super Cold".

"but we're going to try to continue to turn it off at night to let it thaw out some."

MOST Air Conditioners are a lot happier running on "Full Automatic" and a "reasonably cool"
temperature setting; allowing the AC to determine when to run and when to rest.
Running at a constant temperature setting that the unit can achieve and maintain,
the AC can keep the humidity under control without risking a freeze-up.

The AC should automatically run less during the cooler nights; but it still needs to run for
part of the night to keep the humidity under control.

Learn WHERE to look to see the condenser coils.

buckner
08-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Dang! I'm sorry your AC is broken. I would've died by now without a few breaks with AC. Outside, it rests between 100-105*. At work, it's anywhere from 110*-120*. Our breaks at work consist of going out front out of the office or kitchen, or going outside.

I hope you get the unit fixed! What a bummer

Sirrahsim
08-10-2007, 08:34 AM
It possibly was "iced up", or frozen.

"Run the Heat ?? :confused:
Is this a combination HEATER AND Air Conditioner unit?
I meant to run the unit with the temperature control set "warmER than Max COOLING" ...
still in the air condition setting range, but warmER than "Frigid/Super Cold".

"but we're going to try to continue to turn it off at night to let it thaw out some."

MOST Air Conditioners are a lot happier running on "Full Automatic" and a "reasonably cool"
temperature setting; allowing the AC to determine when to run and when to rest.
Running at a constant temperature setting that the unit can achieve and maintain,
the AC can keep the humidity under control without risking a freeze-up.

The AC should automatically run less during the cooler nights; but it still needs to run for
part of the night to keep the humidity under control.

Learn WHERE to look to see the condenser coils.

I'm starting to believe that you have the answers to everything :) I think that I am just going to play the damsel and call in my service guy. They'll come look at it for free so it couldn't hurt :)
To tell you the truth I am kind of nervous to mess with the little closet where the box is because I know that that closet is insulated with asbestos :o The number of waivers that I had to sign when we moved in here is crazy :rolleyes: