PDA

View Full Version : Help! Do they make Advantage for hoomins?

Don Juan's mom
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, here's more fallout from the kitties' visit to the vaccination clinic at my vet: FLEAS. I've dosed them both with Advantage, but now the fleas go after the one remaining warm-blooded creature in the house: ME. :mad:

Please, do they make Advantage (or some similar product) for us hoomins? :confused:

Liz

ShylanHal
08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
I wish.
Even when there are cats for them to eat they can't HELP but take a bite out of me! ...At least they don't seem to like the aftertaste, so after the initial bite they poof with me. :eek:

Well... actually, I don't know. I hope there is. It would help me a LOT, too!

Husky_mom
08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
would it be possible to use the same as for the kitties?.... I mean you apply it but do you come in contact with it ?... is it harmless for humans??..... maybe on the label it says something.......

Anikaca77
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
This lady once told me she would spray herself with "OFF" and the fleas would not jump on her.

I never tried this yet.

Melissa

catmandu
08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
The only problem is that we are so much bigger than Our Cats that it would take an awful lot of Advantage to cover us. Usually Fleas dont go after people but if they are hungry they will. And there are Fleas who prefer human blood. I think that you have a lot of vacuuming to do.

emilysgk
08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Vacuum, lots and lots and lots is number one. Otherwise, OFF and simular products do work. I have used them. My dad uses skin so soft from Avon. He has a real hard time with fleas at his place. They are all over his yard, you cant walk outisde without them jumping on you, so of course they are in the home.

Catty1
08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Ummm.....might be time to fumigate the house...and get the kitties somewhere safe to stay for 24 hrs.

Chances are they are in the rugs by now.

Kater
08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I say start up the oven, make a bunch of roasted garlic and chow down! :D ;)

Or....you could also try a citrus oil based natural bug repellent. I like the one made by Burt's Bees. :)

RedHedd
08-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I guess you could just put on a flea collar or dab a little Advantage behind your ears :p

Medusa
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Hate to say this but if you have them on you, then they're probably in the carpet and vacuuming won't cut it. You'll probably have to fumigate. My dogs got fleas years ago and my son and I both got them. It was awful! I had to fumigate and take the dogs and leave for several hours. It'd be worth it to do it because you'll be fighting a losing battle otherwise.

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Liz, I'm sorry to hear this. I also think that fumigating is your only option since it sounds like they're all over your place. I use advantage year round so this won't happen to me. Good luck.:)

Karen
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
How much carpeting is in your house? They probably have laid eggs in the carpet by now, and short of fumigating, taking out carpets may be an option.

My sister once bought a house not knowing all the wall-to-wall carpeting was infested with fleas from the previous family. Being has she's my sister, she has extremely sensitive skin, and each flea bite ended up in a red welt a alf-inch in diameter. By the time they realized the problem, I had a polka-dotted sister.

critters
08-09-2007, 06:39 AM
I got a faceful of Advantage one time (boy did it sting!!), but mosquitoes didn't touch me for a month!! :D

lady_zana
08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
What about over-the-counter flea carpet dusters or flea carpet shampoo? Do those work? I have some but I haven't tried it yet.

Catty1
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
If they are in the carpet, which it sounds like, over-the-counter stuff would be a waste of money.

Get the pros in and have it done once(I think they come back to do the eggs). Shouldn't be that expensive...and will keep the kitties from getting reinfested, let alone Mom! :)

Don Juan's mom
08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, in addition to Advantage for Don Juan and Zerlina, I've got some safe-for-everybody flea spray for the carpet, sofa and me. I gave the carpet in the bedroom a good vacuuming last night and only had a couple of tiny ones this morning. I'll be out of town for a few days, so hopefully the rest will starve to death heh heh heh.

Medusa
08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
They may starve to death but not before they lay eggs in your carpet. You could have them this winter, too, if you don't fumigate. Sorry to be a nudge but I did everything you've done and I still had to fumigate. :(

AbbyMom
08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I remembered that some PTers use borax in their carpeting and did a search in Cat General:

Here is Lizzie's writeup (last post in thread)

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=104345&highlight=borax

I know I've seen it mentioned in Dog general, too.

Good luck!