PDA

View Full Version : Finally! US Citizen Found....

Edwina's Secretary
08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Just a few weeks ago, the chances of Pedro Guzman reuniting with his family seemed remote indeed. Guzman is an American citizen, but when he was arrested in May, a mental impairment may have prevented him from convincing immigration authorities of his legal status. So, rather than accord him his rights, the authorities assumed he was in the country illegally, took him to Tijuana and left him there. Desperate to bring him home, his family pleaded with the American government for help. The government refused.

Guzman's journey remains hard to reconstruct, but he eventually stumbled upon a border crossing in Calexico, where he was detained. Rather than admit their error, the authorities locked him up for missing probation hearings -- hearings he missed because the government had deported him.

Guzman was released, at last, on Tuesday, miraculously ending his three-month odyssey. For those who turned him out of his country because they couldn't understand him and assumed that he was foreign, Guzman's story should stand as a reminder of what happens when the hardhearted command America's borders.

From the Los Angeles Times - August 8

RICHARD
08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Mucho dinero vamos a ganar, tenemos abogado!

jackie
08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
That is shameful, the family should get a public apology at the very least. :mad:

Edwina's Secretary
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Mucho dinero vamos a ganar, tenemos abogado!

Y porque no?

RICHARD
08-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Y porque no?

Porque los abogados agara mucho del dinero que la familia va ganar. :mad:

JenBKR
08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow, that's pretty disgusting. How sad that he was not even allowed the opportunity to prove that he was a citizen, and the family was also denied that.

:eek: Now ES and Richard are arguing in Spanish! Will it never end? :p

Edwina's Secretary
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
RICHARD is complaining as the family has a lawyer.

I can assure you....if my son...a US citizen, mentally disabled...was wrongly tossed into another country...and the government REFUSED to help me find him...I had to spend every penny I had finding him...then the same government that refused to help locked him up again for missing hearings while he was...terrifed...living on garbage...

I would have a lawyer too...or maybe two lawyers...or maybe an army of lawyers.

And I doubt those lawyers would work for free. Why should they? I don't.

Although in this case RICHARD....at this time they are represented by the ACLU...who don't gana dinero. I am sure that may change.

But none of this negates what was done to this man and his family. THAT is the issue. Not some sideshow of yours.

JenBKR
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
RICHARD is complaining as the family has a lawyer.

I *thought* that he was saying something about the family getting lots of money because they had a lawyer, but my spanish is quite rusty. While I think that there are a lot of frivolous lawsuits out there that are just ridiculous, it sounds to me like this family has every reason to be suing.

lizbud
08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I *thought* that he was saying something about the family getting lots of money because they had a lawyer, but my spanish is quite rusty. While I think that there are a lot of frivolous lawsuits out there that are just ridiculous, it sounds to me like this family has every reason to be suing.

Richard was just griping because the lawyers would make a lot of money
with this case ,like it's their fault. The US Government failed to do what it
should have done for this family. That is, admit they did wrong & reimburse
the family for the money & time spent tracking their son down & bringing
him back home.

Lady's Human
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Okay, everyone, sitting down?

I have to agree with Sara :eek: on this one. I have a strong dislike for lawsuits, but there's a place for them. This is one of them.

RICHARD
08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I can assure you....if my son...a US citizen, mentally disabled...was wrongly tossed into another country...

I can be adopted for a reasonable fee.
Make out the check to my mom and we'll talk.

Richard was just griping because the lawyers would make a lot of money
with this case ,like it's their fault. The US Government failed to do what it
should have done for this family. That is, admit they did wrong & reimburse
the family for the money & time spent tracking their son down & bringing
him back home.

Ding, ding we have a winner!

Right, they should reimburse the family for everything-

BUT, my complaint is with the lawyers taking a good chunk of the monetary recompensation..I didn't see any lawyers helping the family get cooperation from the government while the guy was lost.

They showed up after the fact.

I saw this story on the canales Mexicanos (mexican channels) a few months ago and NO ONE would help this family.

I too was properly outraged....I have no problem with giving that family a few zillion dollars. It's just the friggin lawyers showing up and smelling a huge payday that bug me.

Yes, I know.....even sharks have to eat! :cool:

( I watched shark week on the discovery channel last week, complain to them!)

Edwina's Secretary
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I.I didn't see any lawyers helping the family get cooperation from the government while the guy was lost.

They showed up after the fact.

Ding! We have a mistake! Maybe you should watch different channels (or read the newspaper.) The ACLU has been helping them the whole time.

That they were not able to get cooperation...well...they did try.

RICHARD
08-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Perdoname!

At the point that I first saw this story the poor guy was lost a few days. At that time the woman came on the tube and was asking for help.

Mex T.V. sensationalizes quite a few stories. If you happen to watch, you will see many stories that are reported "as is".

Of course, that story was put into the morgue and brought back to life when this guy turned up.

I didn't follow the whole story. I missed the middle-when ACLU got involved with the story and god bless them-they found this kid and brought him back home.

I stand corrected and rest on my Laurels-Poor Hardy, always the bridesmaid!

wombat2u2004
08-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Okay, everyone, sitting down?

Geez LH, you've totally floored me....LOL :D
Wom

wombat2u2004
08-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Porque los abogados agara mucho del dinero que la familia va ganar. :mad:

Hey Richard, cut out the Chinese will you ??? We can't understand it !!!! :p
Wom

Randi
08-09-2007, 09:56 AM
It's disgusting how the government treated this poor guy and his family! :( They should at least admit it and reimburse the family for the money and time spent!