PDA

View Full Version : Angus, New Friend, New Life on RB.

dionne
08-08-2007, 01:07 AM
This morning, as I let myself in to my boyfriend's parents house, I found their dog, Angus on the floor in a puddle of his own blood. Jan, Sean's mother, was immediately called home by myself to take him to the vet. He was still alive at this point.

The vet found out that his liver and kidneys had failed, and his heart was next. By this point, Sean's dad had gotten to the vet and Jan and John made the hard decision to have him PTS.

I have only been friends with this dog for about 8 months, and just recently he had quit barking at me when I arrived, and then moved onto letting me take him outside, and finally greeting me when I came inside and going to the room I was in for pets. I started to gain a huge attachment as this mutual "trust" grew with Angus, as I tend to do with animals.

I knew the dog was in bad condition, he was old...but if I had just cleaned up the blood and kept my mouth shut, maybe they would have had more time with their dog. That's wrong to feel that way I know because I could imagine he was suffering, but it's just...I don't know. I just hoped that he would have been ok, I mean when I had let him out this morning, he got up the patio steps better than he has been lately. I had no idea that he was at the point to be pts...Angus was only 12.

Angus, I know you are well and whole in RB. May you herd as many sheeps as you can! From begging for dinner scraps, to the little dance you do before you climb the porch steps, you will be deeply missed.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/dionne_verba/angus.png

dukedogsmom
08-08-2007, 03:13 AM
I'm so sorry you had to find Angus that way. I know it must have been very hard. But you did do the right thing and he is thankful for it. You got to know him really well in those short eight months. He was a beautiful dog. You will see each other again, you know? He's at the RB waiting on his family and the ones he loved. Our RB dogs will look after him to keep him safe until you're reunited.

Ginger's Mom
08-08-2007, 05:57 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, and for Angus' family's loss. You definitely did the right thing. If you had not called them Angus may have died without his family at his side. It is always a hard and sad decision to make, but the love survives.

Sudilar
08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
I am so sorry. RIP, Angus. You are now healthy again at RB. Hugs.

Freedom
08-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Such a lovely sheltie! So sorry you had to be the one to find him; but maybe that is better for the family this way. Hugs to you and to them. RIP, Angus!

pitc9
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of Angus.
Rest easy now Angus.
:(

loveallfurryfriends
08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Even though it hurts right now, you did the right thing. Angus will be greeted by all of our RB dogs & cats, and he will play pain free. Angus' family will see him again, but until then, he will be an angel watching over them. RIP Angus.

K9karen
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm so sorry about Angus. Please do not speculate on what would have happened. You did the right thing. Seeing Angus in that condition, I would have done the same thing. At least he was with his family at the end. You have good memories of him "deciding" to like you towards the end and you have to, no MUST take those sweet memories with you.
Thank you for sharing his lovely picture. He was a handsome boy. You did the right thing, remember, he is now safe and healthy and happy. And I will repeat for the 1000th time here on PT, that my RB Cody is the "Watcher over the Bridge", a high honor, so he will take care of Angus. God Speed, Angus, play well.

Genny
08-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry to you and to Angus' family. But even though it was hard you did the right thing--like someone else said he might have died alone and that would have been worse. He sure was a beautiful dog, I love shelties...

dionne
08-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. You have no idea what those mean to me, especially now. Though it has been almost a week, I still can't help but feel I signed his death warrant for him when I called Sean's mother home from work :(

BUT though it does hurt, and these things DON'T pass with time, you all are right, I do have some pretty good memories of Angus, and will cherish what I have of them.

Angus is now buried in the garden amongst the blueberries he always tried to eat :) John engraved a marker of him into copper and now it marks the spot where he is until the blueberries grow over.

I'm thinking of doing a charcoal sketch of him for them to keep always, though my charcoal technique is in the least to say...a bit rusty at the moment...

But again, thanks everyone for your kind and awesome words. :)

Dionne

cyber-sibes
08-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Dionne, with major organ failure, Angus would have died whether or not you called his owners to his side. I know if I was his owner, I would be SO deeply grateful for your phone call, you did EXACTLY the right thing. His family needed to be there with him.

People often feel guilt when somone close dies..."what if?"... but none of us can add not even one moment to any life, we simply don't have the power to do so. I hope you can let go of feeling guilty. ;)

We lost our beloved dog just 4 weeks ago, and I know being there with him was the most important thing in the world that day.

anna_66
08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Like cyber-sibes, I think you did exactly the right thing by calling. Don't second guess yourself at all.

luvofallhorses
08-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I am so sorry. :( He was beautiful. rest in peace sweet boy you obviously were very well loved. :(