PDA

View Full Version : HARVEST has begun!

Freedom
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
We have one Early Girl tomato plant, and two grape tomato plants. They have both started to ripen. This summer has been SO dry, that they are smaller than other years.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/Chaplin%20Ozzy%20and%20Marlin/IMG_0497.jpg

And while I am on the theme of RED, some of my hibiscus have started to open as well.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/Chaplin%20Ozzy%20and%20Marlin/IMG_0463.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/Chaplin%20Ozzy%20and%20Marlin/IMG_0465.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q57/sfsamm/Chaplin%20Ozzy%20and%20Marlin/IMG_0464.jpg

lbaker
08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
We are a bit further South but have the drought and intense heat too, so I understand. We haven't done too badly though with green beans (lots!!) early spinach, crooked neck (or yellow) squash and a few 'maters. Cukes too!! Other stuff coming in but it takes constant heavy soaking to try to save the majority :( But HEY!! At least we have more than many!!

lvpets2002
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
:) Ok now I am licking my chops.. Oh I just love fresh tomatoes.. Ok I will be right there.. Flowers are of such beauty.. great pics thanks

lizbud
08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh wow, those tomatoes look yummy. :) Having the home grown last
year has totally spoiled me from store bought ones. I think I'll try to plant
some myself next year. The hibiscus are lovely. :) I think you have a nice
red theme going there.

Pam
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Having the home grown last year has totally spoiled me from store bought ones.

:D ;)

kittycats_delight
08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
wow our season is almost done with here. We have been using veggies from the garden for over a month now. Will take some pics tomorrow. We have green peppers, tomatoes (plum, cherry and the large ones (can't remember the name), zucchine, eggplant, lettuce, and can't forget the herbs sage, basil, fennel, thyme, parsley & rosemary. But then again the rosemary grows all year long anyway.

Everyone planted early here this year as last year was a disaster with the heat and lack of rain. So this year we are ahead of the game and everything is about finished growing. Good thing too as the heat is horrible and we are lacking rain again. August was a killer last year and again this year. Luckily this year we got a fair amount of rain in June and July to make up for the heat and keep things nice and balanced.

phesina
08-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Those tomatoes have me licking my chops!

Beautiful pictures, and beautiful gardening! Thank you.

jennielynn1970
08-07-2007, 09:48 PM
My dad has been feeling well enough this year to do his vegetable gardening. I grew up on a 100 acre farm, so we always had fresh veggies and stuff (like chickens, beef, lamb... another reason I eat basically just chicken and fish, lol).

His garden this year has been BEAUTIFUL!! We just had a 25 lb watermelon come in, and have a bunch more that are almost ripe. They are soooo yummy!! The corn has come in about 1 1/2 weeks ago, the eggplant, zucchini, cabbage, beans, peppers (green and hot), tomatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupes, red beats. The broccoli and cauliflower better come in soon!!

My dad is just so happy to be in the garden. He has had so many health issues, and we're just lucky that he is here with us. Last year he didn't even have the strength to go out and do a small garden, let alone the normal sized garden he usually does. It's been dry, but their area has been getting more rain than we have 45 minutes away.

When it had been strawberry season, my mom picked over 250 quarts of them!!! And strawberry season goes quick!!

We're hoping that the japanese beetles have not totally destroyed the grape vines. We usually do our own jellies and jams as well.

Fresh veggies really spoil you when it comes to expectations!

Freedom
08-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Fascinating to read how other areas are ahead of us!

We have 17 Big Boy tomato plants; those have plenty of green tomatos still in the growing stages. A few more weeks . . . YUM!