PDA

View Full Version : Car thief calls 911 when he finds baby in back seat

Catty1
08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Car thief calls 911 when he finds baby in back seat
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 7, 2007 | 10:50 AM ET
CBC News

A man who stole a car in Montreal Monday apparently called 911 to tell police where he left it after he discovered there was a baby sleeping in the back seat.

A woman from New York had stopped for a quick visit with her sister in Outremont, leaving her 14-month-old daughter in the car, with the engine running and the doors unlocked, according to police spokesman Robert Mansueto.

He said a man saw the car was running, so he jumped in and drove off. The woman immediately called 911, but it seems the thief did too.

"A few minutes later, and a couple of kilometres further east of the area, another call came in to 911," Mansueto said.

"At this point we presume it was the suspect who stole the vehicle, and the person mentioned to 911 that the vehicle was parked at an intersection in Rosemont — Bellechasse and Boyer — and that a young baby girl was in the vehicle."

Mansueto said the baby was found safe, and was still sleeping when police found the car.

He said drivers should remember that it's illegal to leave a child under the age of seven unattended in a vehicle.

In this case, no charges are being considered.

Karen
08-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Better than the child being found dead a day later.

Catty1
08-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Oh, absolutely...just the slight irony of a car thief having some moral compunction.

I bet the mom won't do that again....

moosmom
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
drivers should remember that it's illegal to leave a child under the age of seven unattended in a vehicle.

So lemme get this straight...it's OKAY to leave a child OVER the age of 7 unattended in a vehicle???? I don't get it. I just don't get it.

sumbirdy
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
She shouldn't have left her baby in the car by herself (and with the doors unlocked!!! :eek: ) This was probably a very big wake up call to her. I'm glad the baby is safe and slept through the whole thing.

Karen
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
So lemme get this straight...it's OKAY to leave a child OVER the age of 7 unattended in a vehicle???? I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Perhaps the theory is that a seven-year-old is large enough and smart enough to open the windows if it gets hot and to lock the doors.

joycenalex
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
okay, there is a true case of a matched set of fools, and yet, a piece of me has some respect for the thief, he knew it was very wrong to leave a kid in the car, something the mother didn't know. :eek:

lbaker
08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
I have no idea what the daytime temp is there but it is a crime to leave an animal, much more so a child, unattended in a car (even for "a second") in this neck of the woods - in summer time especially.

jackie
08-08-2007, 05:45 AM
okay, there is a true case of a matched set of fools, and yet, a piece of me has some respect for the thief, he knew it was very wrong to leave a kid in the car, something the mother didn't know. :eek:

Me too. I am very happy he reported the baby. I am sure there is a HUGE market for babies, and someone else would have done god knows what else with it.