PDA

View Full Version : A little snag in the proceedings....

catnapper
08-06-2007, 07:58 AM
They started to rip up our bathroom this morning. It was supposed to be a three day job, where we would still have a toilet and shower to use each night after they left. No biggie, just a minor inconvenience while they were here during the day. All well worth it to no longer have mold in our bathroom.

Well, not even half an hour into the job of ripping up the vinyl floor and the thin plywood over it, they found BEAUTIFUL white marble tile, original to the house. Whatever idiot covered gorgeous marble with sheet vinyl..... grrrr!!! I would love to keep the marble tile but we have to rip it up to get all the mold under it. I could cry over the thought of this :o

Now we need to renegotiate with the insurance company so they cover the additional charge of tearing up tile, removing the radiator, replacing all the walls (because the guy said its up the walls too, which they originally didn't think was the case) OMG... I can't even think of what's going to happen if they won't cover the additional labor. I sure hope the contractors can set up a payment schedule ;)

*sigh*

It gonna be an interesting few days. And smelly! You should smell my bathroom. I thought the mold I saw was bad!!! :eek: And without access to a full shower I will be rather smelly in a few days. Sponge baths only do so much. I can see it now.... washing hair in the kitchen sink and taking a bath in Cam's baby pool. :p

I called hubby at work about this and he laughed. He said, "nothing ever goes as planned for us, does it?" Nope, but thats what makes life interesting!

Freedom
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Maybe you can get a few nice cutting boards for the kitchen from that lovely floor?

I always amazes me when we discover what a prior owner did to a house.

Ask the insurance company to cover a gym membership for a month so you have access to showers! :D

Laura's Babies
08-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Remember Murphy's Law? Sound like it has attached to you lately. Very seldom are things ever as simple as they are suppose to be. Not in my life anyway. :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Any chance of getting those marble tiles up without damaging them ????
Wom

Craftlady
08-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Oh my.... How about the insurance company footing a hotel room for a week?
I hope the contractor let's you make payments (I'd be surprised if they did, it seems everyone wants their monies 1/2 for a deposit or when the job is done) since this is an insurance job.

wombat2u2004
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Oh my.... How about the insurance company footing a hotel room for a week?
I hope the contractor let's you make payments (I'd be surprised if they did, it seems everyone wants their monies 1/2 for a deposit or when the job is done) since this is an insurance job.

Not here......we are only allowed to charge 10% deposit, and then payments at certain stages when work is completed....it's the law.
Insurance work here you get paid like 3 or 4 weeks after the job is completed, in fact I waited 18 months once for $13,000, not nice when they keep losing the paperwork....LOL.
Wom

gemini9961
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Ouch, that stinks. Hope the insurance will cover it. :eek:

Nothing ever goes as planned in construction, I think it's a law that it can't go as planned. :)