PDA

View Full Version : My Step-dad has Cancer*Update Post #51*

critter crazy
08-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Fri, my dad was admitted to the hospital, for blood in is urine. after a few tests, it was found that he has a tumor on one of his kidney. the immediately sent him in for a Bioppsy, we are still waiting on the results. They are testing his other Kidney this week to see if it is Okay to support him, since they will more than likely have to remove the kidney with the Tumor.

I am very scared as my Step-dad is 79 yrs old, and is not in the greatest of health! He has lung problems, heart problems, and Leg problems. I am not ure if he can even withstand The operation to remove the kidney.

My brother, has put off leaving for College this year, he was supposed to go on the 20th. He is waiting till next year.

My mom is a mess! They have had a rough year this year, as mom was just out of work, due to Deteriorated disks in her back. I am more concerned about her, as she does not handle things like this very well, and could just brake down!

If you could, please send my Family a prayer. We could definitely use some!:(

Karen
08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
He will be in our prayers, as will your whole family be. Just so you know, I know a couple people who have lived a long time with just one kidney, so if they have to remove it, that needn't mean nay great change in his life or anything, apart from recovery from the surgery, of course.

petslover
08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I am so sorry that your family has to go through this. I really wish the best for you all.

Daisy and Delilah
08-05-2007, 10:47 PM
My thoughts and prayers are going out for your Step-Dad and the whole family.

K9karen
08-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Oh My! I'm so saddened to read about your step dad. Keep your chin up, it may not be cancer. I pray it isn't. Prayers go out to all of you.

Catty1
08-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Hugs and prayers to you and mom and Step-dad.

If they do have to remove his kidney, maybe they can do laporoscopy...that means very small incisions, and maybe just one, and he will heal a lot faster.

I am sure they will do their best to make sure he is healthy enough for surgery.

And, like Karen said, many people do very well with one kidney.

Your brother and you are there for your mom....that is so wonderful.

HUGS again, and prayers that all works out for the best.

Sevaede
08-06-2007, 01:03 AM
**HUGS** GREAT Vibes for you and your family!! :(

wombat2u2004
08-06-2007, 04:56 AM
One kidney is fine CC. In fact most doctors are of the opinion that one kidney does more than what the body requires of kidneys. So why have two ????? Most doctors believe that we have two because if one fails, we have a backup.
My youngest daughter has one normal kidney, and the other one is about the size of a jelly bean.....it simply never grew. Which is why we keep an eye on what she eats and drinks (yes yes.....now you know why I get into such heated debates about soda and junk food) :D
Wom

Donnaj4962
08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
My prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry to hear of this news.

inlovewithanimals
08-06-2007, 08:26 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for the best.

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm so sorrry to hear this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

critter crazy
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone.
I know most people can do well with just one kidney. I just hope things do well, and he will be okay. I just hope it isnt cancer, but if it is, i hope it hasnt spread anywhere else, and the removal of the Kidney, will help. Right now it is just a waiting game. Will keep you all posted.:)

pitc9
08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
MY thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

critter crazy
08-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Well the results are in, My Step-dad has Cancer!:( The cancer is in the tube, that connects the kidney to the Bladder. They are running tests next week, to find out if his other kidney will be enough for him to live on. But the Doctor is very doubtful. Between my Dads age, and all his other medical problems, they think that he will more than likely be placed on Dialysis. The doctor was not giving us good vibes at all, when the doctor looks scared, It realy makes you worried!:(

Kalei
08-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh that is such bad news! I'm so sorry that you, your family and your stepdad are going through this. I can't imagine how devistating it would be:(

I will remember him in my prayers tonight.

Alysser
08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I am so sorry. :(

rg_girlca
08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I am so sorry to hear this terrible news. :(

Prayers on the way for you, your step-dad and family.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

sweetpatata6
08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
aww I'm sorry prays on the way for you and your family hope everything goes well...

***HUGSSSS!!!***

Catty1
08-13-2007, 08:31 PM
*hugs*

Did you know...that there is a type of dialysis called Peritoneal Dialysis?

Your step-dad can have that at home. It's a soft container of solution that cleans his system, and he just has to change it every so often. If he can have that type, it will be more comfy for him.

Big prayers that everything turns out all right.

HUGS!

K9karen
08-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm so sorry to read the sad news. Please don't give up hope. Sending prayers your way.

ramanth
08-14-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm so sorry. :(

krazyaboutkatz
08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I'll be keeping your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.

mrspunkysmom
08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear this.

critter crazy
08-14-2007, 07:39 PM
*hugs*

Did you know...that there is a type of dialysis called Peritoneal Dialysis?

Your step-dad can have that at home. It's a soft container of solution that cleans his system, and he just has to change it every so often. If he can have that type, it will be more comfy for him.

Big prayers that everything turns out all right.

HUGS!

Hopefully teh doctor will be able to give him some choices.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I am sorry to see this. Be strong for each other - we are here for you to lean on

sparks19
08-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers on the way for you and yours.

petslover
08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I am really sorry, but with all of the technology and medicines advances I am sure he will be okay. You are all in my thoughts.

critter crazy
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Well I talked to my mom, and they have done the kidney tests. His right kidney with the Cancer, is only working at 20%, his left Kidney is working at 70%. So they still arent sure if the Left kidney will be enough for him to live on by itself. He went in for an MRI today, and will get the results from that on Thursday. The doctors still have no idea what they will be doing. My Step-Dad is getting very frustrated, and wants to go to a different Hospital, as he is not happy with the way things are going at the one he is at now. Hopefully by thursday we will know a bit more. Everything just seems to take forever!!

Donnaj4962
08-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I know that the "hurry up and wait" situation is frustrating, but I am certain that the doctors are doing all that they can to make him confortable.

I work with seniors, and many of them are on dialyisis. While it is not the most pleasant way to spend 3 days a week, it keeps them alive. Most continue with the treatment, and most seem to have a fairly decent quality of life.

My prayers are with you and your family, and the doctors who are trying to find the answers that you all so desperately need.

critter crazy
09-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Well mom just called, and they finally have a surgery date Scheduled! He goes in for surgery on October 26! The plan is, to go in, and try to remove just the tumor, but If the tumor cannot be removed safely, they will then send in another surgeon, and remove his whole kidney. The problem with removing the Kidney, is that he will then be placed on Dialysis, which the doctors do not want, as he is on Blood thinners for his heart problems. I am very concerned for my Step-dad. especially since last week they stopped by for dinner, and he pretty much told all of us, he dosent expect to make it out of Surgery!:eek: Please pray for him, if you can! :(

Catty1
09-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Prayers for your step-dad!

I wonder about his statement...if he is scared, or just being realistic in his own way.

It would be nice if his other kidney could take over, but I remember you saying that wasn't likely.

I hope they can remove just the tumour, and your step-dad will feel better and me more comfortable.

{{{hugs}}}

critter crazy
09-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Prayers for your step-dad!

I wonder about his statement...if he is scared, or just being realistic in his own way.

It would be nice if his other kidney could take over, but I remember you saying that wasn't likely.

I hope they can remove just the tumour, and your step-dad will feel better and me more comfortable.

{{{hugs}}}

The doctors said his other Kidney isnt strong enough to take over. I also hope they can just remove the Tumor!

Knowing my dad, he is being realistic. He has never been on to mince words, he always tells you how it is.

Thanks catty!

Alysser
09-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I really wish the best for your dad during surgery. I know how tough going through cancer is. My mom had breast cancer 2 years ago. (((hugs))) I'll be thinking of you, your dad, and your family.

critter crazy
10-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Well dads surgery is Next friday, I will be driving up to Rochester to be with my mom that day. All next week he has tests everyday, till surgery day. Dad for the first time in his life, seems very scared. As are all of us. So far so good, all the tests have come back okay, they are just making sure he will be able to handle the surgery. Today he had a Ultrasound of his neck, as he has a blockage in his Artery, and yesterday they tested his heart, and gave him a stress test.

Felicia's Mom
10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Your step-dad is in my prayers.

critter crazy
10-26-2007, 10:08 PM
well dad had his surgery today. he went in at 11:45am and didnt get out until after 5:00pm. he is till on the ventillator, and they still have him anestitised, as they are concerned about his lungs. he has COPD. but the surgery itself went great, and they were able to remove the tumor. they removed a piece of the tubing that connects his Kidney to his Bladder. so we are hoping this works!! We cannot go and see him till well after Noon tomarrow, as they want him to wake up Very slowly!! Hopefully he does okay, and has no complications.

I am thanking my brother for actually remembering his laptop!! woohoo. I went through some serious PT withdraws yesterday and today!! This Hotel is boring!!:D

K9karen
10-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Oh Yay! I'm so glad the surgery went well! My mom had COPD so I know the docs have to do things slowly when it comes to the lungs. Thankfully they got the tumor. Praying for your stepdad's safe, comfortable, quick recovery.

Karen
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Thank goodness the surgery went well, we'll be keeping him in our prayers for a good recovery. For the uninitiated, COPD is "Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease."

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad that his surgery went well and I hope that he'll feel better soon.:)

dukedogsmom
10-27-2007, 12:24 AM
I hope his operation is a success. I know you'll be glad to get to see him. It must be very scary to have to deal with this. I hope everything works out and he's well again soon.

Catty1
10-27-2007, 12:45 AM
{{{{{hugs}}}}} Glad everything went as well as it did - and he sounds like he is getting really good and gentle care.

Wonderful news! I hope he recovers well, and feels better soon. :)

critter crazy
10-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Well we just got a call from the Hospital! Dad is bleeding internally. They had to give him his Bloodthinners for his heart, and as soon as they did he started bleeding. so now they have to give him a blood transfusion! Gosh now I am scared!! Please pray that he will make it through this!!:(

CountryWolf07
10-27-2007, 11:15 AM
My thoughts & prayers are with you!

Catty1
10-27-2007, 11:16 AM
PRAYERS out to you! I know the staff will do everything they can to get this stopped.

HUGS - praying for a good update.

Taz_Zoee
10-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh no! You and your family will be in my thoughts.

critter crazy
10-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Well he is still bleeding, but now he is also having heart probs. They still havent taken him off of the ventilator either. Hopefully it will be taken out by tomarrow. hia heart rate is too fast, and is causing concern. Now the docs are worried about possible stroke! I am tired, and cannot see straight anymore, will try to update later!!:(

Rachel
10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
More prayers headed out for your dad. I do hope that the worst is now over and that he will be on the road to recovery, even if it is seemingly small steps.

Catty1
10-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Prayers for your dad and all of you waiting. I hope he stabilizes soon...

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

critter crazy
10-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Well I made it home. I saw dad this morning before I left and he looked much better. The internal bleeding seems to have stopped, and they got his Heart rate back to normal, it was about 80-85 BPM today, where as yesterday it was 140-145BPM. They are taking him off the resperator later today, so that is good. He seems to be turning around today. I didnt get to talk to him this morning, cause they still had him knocked out. But I will be going back up to see him in a few days. I feel much better!! Thank you all so far for the parayers, my family appreciates it!!

Catty1
10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Good news...I hope he is on a steady course right now and I am sure he will be glad to see you! :)

critter crazy
11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Well dad is improving, and they took out the breathing tube tuesday, and have taken him out oof ICU to a real room. they have had him out of bed, in a chair, and he was able to eat some last night, his first meal in 6 days! However it stll doent seem like he will be home anytime soon, as he is having a difficult time standing/walking. They are not sure why, but are running some tests. We will be going to visit him this weekend.

Catty1
11-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Surgery can be really rough on anyone's system, even if they are otherwise healthy.

Your dad hasn't been using his leg muscles and such for a few days...hopefully a physio person from the hospital can help him get moving again. And eating some more food will help too, I think!

Great news that he is improving...I hope you have a great visit with him! :)

critter crazy
11-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Surgery can be really rough on anyone's system, even if they are otherwise healthy.

Your dad hasn't been using his leg muscles and such for a few days...hopefully a physio person from the hospital can help him get moving again. And eating some more food will help too, I think!

Great news that he is improving...I hope you have a great visit with him! :)

Oh dont I know it!! A 79yr old man, with bad health, this was all to be expected. Thankfully he shocked the doctors and made it through the surgery, which they didnt think he would. But he is one stubborn old man!

The problem with his legs, is he has blocked arteries in them, and they have been a concern for quite some time now. He did have, while laid up in the ICU these cuff like things that went around his legs(looks like large bloodpressure cuffs)that constantlly inflated and deflted, to keep the blood flowing properly to his legs.

Right now I just think he is too weak. which I am sure after a few days of eating and moving around will help.