PDA

View Full Version : Eye Exams

Sirrahsim
08-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I am in desperate need of a new pair of glasses but I can't decide if I should get a new exam or not. My last exam was in October of 05 but I can see just find with the pair of glasses that I have that are that Rx...
The only real reason that I am considering skipping the exam is because there are two glasses shops in the area that are having 50% off sales. I can get a complete pair of glasses with the thinnest lenses on the market and designer frames for the same price as I would normally pay for just the high index lenses that my rx requires! The deals end on Saturday but I don't know if I'd be able to get in to an eye doctor by then and even if I could get an appt I don't know how it would go with me bringing two kids along!!

Input??

sirrahved
08-05-2007, 03:45 PM
They might not let you get glasses without an exam. Glasses are a prescription. The prescription expires. I don't know how long it is good for.

Craftlady
08-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Allot can change eye wise in 2 years. I would think there is a time limit on glass rx's.

krazyaboutkatz
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
In my experience, you have 2 years before you need a new prescription. I know this because I still have the paperwork from my last eye exam from Aug.26,2004 and it says it expires on Aug.26,2006. As long as you get new glasses before Oct.2007 then you should be okay.:)

sasvermont
08-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Interesting. I have reached the age, sorry to say, that my eyesight is staying the same. I have gone 8 years with the same prescription. The same thing with my Mom. She has had the same prescription for 20 years and then some. So, my advice to you would be depending on your history and your age and your current ability to see, I would have an exam if for no other reason, they check you for glacoma (sp)...... and general eye health....You can have one office give the presciption information to the other. I've done it...in fact just ordered new glasses for my Mom, without her even being present.......they just used her old prescription....

Confused? So, yes, I would go for an exam. Your eyes are once in a life time thing! They will have glasses sales again. I usually wait until my frames die, then get new glasses. I am getting near that situation .... :rolleyes:

Glasses are expensive....after tinting, hidden biofocal, blah blah blah...see, I told you I was getting old....biofocals!

Sirrahsim
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
krazyaboutkats is right, my rx does expire in October. However I think that I am going to err on the side of caution and take Sas's advice about getting seen again at this time. My eyes are already at risk because one of them gets corneal abrasions regularly thanks to a childhood eyelid surgery that keeps my eye open a little at night time. Maybe I'll get lucky and will be able to find place that has evening hours this week that will accommodate my husband's schedule. We'll see :) Thanks for the input!

caseysmom
08-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Here in california the exam for contacts is only good for one year.

Daisy and Delilah
08-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm going through the same thing right now, Missy. I don't think my eyes have changed much so I think a new pair of glasses are in order only. Besides, the ones I wear the most are terribly cracked for the fourth time :rolleyes: and I need a new pair anyway.

Not trying to hijack but I have to say....I don't have much confidence in the way I take an eye exam. The dr. is usually talking so fast and running the questions by me like a speeding bullet, I often feel I've given the incorrect answer. When I leave, I always wonder if I was completely honest with my choices. It's something that's always perplexed me. Sorry....we were just talking about that at work yesterday so I had to mention it :)

Sirrahsim
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
yep my contact prescription is long since expired. That is the main reason that I want a nice pair of glasses. When I run out of contacts I want to have a pair of glasses that I won't mind wearing out of the house.
I know exactly what you mean Daisy and Delilah!! I feel the same way after an exam!