PDA

View Full Version : Career Idea

petslover
08-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I will be graduating college next year so I am starting to focus on what I want my career goal to be.

I have always wanted to open my own photography studio!! i LOVE taking pictures. I just don't know how to get started. Where do you I get my equipment from? What all do I need to know?

It is a scary thought of opening a business, but I know thats what I want to do.

I have been looking online for help, but can't find anything.

Have any of you worked for a photography studio? if so any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

I have no idea where to start.

Catty1
08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I think you would get a lot of your questions answered by working in a studio before you open your own.

That would help you decide if you really want to go for it.

If you are good with people - kids that WON'T smile (or worse), fussy and prima donna brides and their mothers, etc, that will help!

How about setting up some 'information interviews' with some photographers? Ask what the joys and hassles are - and you might get a position in one.

Being a receptionist would be great - you get to know all the customers and all the situations!

Good luck! :)

Jessika
08-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Working in a studio would be your best option right now since it will get you experience and help train you for when you open your own studio!

A co-worker of mine does photography in his free time. He shoots weddings, portraits, and does other occasions too. He has a room in his house he converted into a studio. I will have to ask where he buys most of his equipment from, but I KNOW he does a lot of shopping on eBay for most of his stuff. He's constantly telling me about stuff he found on eBay!

Karen
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
What is your degree going to be in? Have you worked in photography yet? Try to get an apprenticeship, or internship this fall through your school with a photography studio, so you'll see what it is like - and that way get course credit at the same time.

Then look around where you live, talk to other photographers about the pros and cons of their business - just tell them you are doing research for school right now if they seem threatened. But check around, see what photography studios have been in business a long time, they may want to hire or to mentor you ...