PDA

View Full Version : A question....a decision?

Dixie Belle
07-26-2002, 10:05 PM
This is something I've been sitting on for a while, but have decided to ask everyone's advice.

Prince has hereditary mange (please excuse my spelling). We have already spent $200 on treatment. He got better for a couple of months, and now it is back. It has been explained to us that he will break out with it for the rest of his life. The other dogs won't get it, but Prince is so meserable. The question is brought up, make him suffer through treatments his entire life, or put him to sleep.

If he didn't hate the treatments so much it might not be to bad. If he didn't look like he was in so much pain, it might not be bad. Everytime he goes to the vet, he looks at me, like he is begging me why?

And what happens when the day comes that I can't afford the $200 it takes to treat him? What do I do then?

But how can I put to sleep a little pup that loves me so much...that I bottle fed to keep alive...that I got up with in the middle of the night...

Honesty from everyone please.

What would you do?

mugsy
07-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Dudley has demodectic mange also. He is 10 years old and has had it all of his life. It is no reason to put a dog down. You can get special medicated shampoo and give the dog bathes and then give him antibiotics when he breaks out...it shouldn't cost you 200 dollars...I would check around. If you think that you might put him down, please don't, Mike and I will take him since we already deal with Dudley.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for the best.

Dixie Belle
07-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Please, give me more info. What kind of shampoo? Where do you get it? What kind of antibiotics? Where do you get those? We don't want to put him to sleep. He is a very special pup. My husband's aunt gave him to us, and she is dying of cancer. But the dips is the only thing we have been told about.

mugsy
07-26-2002, 10:32 PM
We give him 500 mg of Cephalexin twice a day and I will call and see what the name of the shampoo is (it's a prescription), we ran out and the bottle is gone, so I'll call Dr. B on Monday and find out. Depending on how bad the outbreak is we have him on the Cephalexin for either a month or 2 weeks. It's amazing how much better he is. He was 9 when we got him and in a year he's only had 1 outbreak and the Cephalexin took care of it.

Dixie Belle
07-26-2002, 10:39 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! What is werid, Dixie Belle is on that very medicine for a skin infection she has. And as soon as you find out the name of the shampoo, I will be making a trip to see my vet, and you better believe it won't be pretty. I'm wondering now if I need to find a new one! The why they acted I thought the dippings were the only treatment! I'm so glad to find out otherwise!!

mugsy
07-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Well, our vet is an old time farm vet. He is constantly going to conferences about new stuff, so it's not like he's not informed. He believes that you only do the bare minimum to fix the problem...never overmedicate. He also looks for ways to save money for his clients. When we go get any of the dogs their rabies and 6 way it costs us 28 dollars. When the dogs get an upset stomach or anything stomach or intestinally related, he tells us to give them 1 Pepto tablet...that kind of thing. He is totally dedicated. We've paged him in the middle of the night and he is always pleasant and helpful and if need be he's willing to get up, get dressed and meet us at his office. He is absolutely wonderful. If you have any questions that you want me to ask him I would be happy to. Oh yeah...he's so old fashioned that he doesn't even have a computer in his office...nor does he have central air!! lol

aly
07-27-2002, 01:20 AM
Molly gave great advice!! And yes, we can find a way to get Prince to her if you can't handle the financial burdens anymore. He would be in the best hands!!!!!!!!!!

Dixieland Dancer
07-27-2002, 06:52 AM
My first Golden suffered from Mange. I agree... it is no reason to put a dog down. If you go to the pet store (go online if you don't have one near you) they have several different kinds of mange medications you can get. I use to get the dip since it worked the best for my girl. I priced it at Pet Supply plus for only $14.90. You take a capful of the liquid and put it in a gallon jug and shake it up real well. After giving the dog a medicated shampoo bath, you take the dip and just pour it all over the dog starting at the neck and working down to the tail. It smells potent at first but after the dog dries the potency is not bad at all. I gave her the dip about every 3 weeks in the summer and less frequently in the winter. It worked wonders.

That is all I did and she would get so bad her skin was raw if I didn't take care of it fast enough. Usually in the summer if she swam between dippings and if she got real bad, I did it more frequently but due to the chemicals, I tried not to do it too often. The bottle would last almost an entire year so I paid under $20.00 for an entire year of treatment!

sammi
07-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Boy sometimes the internet is a great thing! Good thing Mugsy had read Dixies question and it might make just the world of difference.

tatsxxx11
07-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Amen to that Sammi! Mugsy and Candy gave terrific advice and support. My Cody, a resuce, has also suffered with this condition throughout her life, but is doing very well! No need to think about that most drastic decision:(Hang in there. We're here to help! Especially Mugsy;)

Dixie Belle
07-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Thank you everybody!! Especally Mugsy! Prince is a very special part of our family....and I am so disappointed in my vet. As soon as Mugsy gets the name of the shampoo, I will be taking a trip to see the "vet" and get the stuff he needs.

Karen
07-27-2002, 08:35 PM
A thread like this is truly what Pet Talk is about - people coming together to share knowledge!

lizbud
07-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Dixie Belle,

Good luck with Prince !!! I agree with Karen. It's a thread
like this of people sharing stories, problems, knowledge and
experiences that make PT the best thing on the net for people
who love their animal friends.:)

mugsy
07-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys!! And Dixie, I will call when I get home from school on Monday and ask Deb to ask Dr. B what it's called and she'll call me back with it. It may be Tuesday before I know anything, but hang in there, I'll get it I promise.

kohala
07-28-2002, 03:30 AM
I sure hope you get some help veterinarian-wise - I agree with Molly 100% - the old school is often the best. I am very leary (sp?) of excessive medicating for animals and humans. Many a being has suffered from being treated by expensive pharmaceuticals, when simpler, less costly methods are often more effective. Dadcat always does the majority of the vetting for Grasshopper, although I am fortunate she has a good veterinarian. Still, they too often are about profit. Dad always vetted his horses and dogs, and when we get out of the city where we can have them again, will continue to do so. Not exclusively, of course. What a relief to have you all with your wealth of experience to turn to with questions like this!!! I will be eager to read how Prince does! Hugs to him!!!

mugsy
07-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Dixie, I will PM you with the information since I'm leaving Pet Talk.

ChrisAK
07-29-2002, 10:20 AM
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1589&articleid=729

Here is some more information on your problem. Hope it helps.:)

Dixie Belle
07-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Thanks Chris. I put that site in my favorites so I can go back and read on it more. Molly has gotten with me on what she uses for her dog. I told her that my dad came over and treated him with something, I've been afraid to ask what (my family being famous for home remidies) and Prince seems to be getting better. At any rate, the bumps are gone, but his skin is dried. However, he is getting up and playing again, which is something he has not been doing for the past couple of weeks.

And I agree, this is what Pet Talk is ALL about!!:D :D :D

wolf_Q
07-31-2002, 12:33 AM
Glad that you got everything worked out, and Prince is doing better!

Mugsy, I wish we still had one of those small time vets around here. There was this older guy, Dr. Mortenson, we used to go to. He just had this small white building, and I don't think he even had any staff. Really nice guy. I don't think we were ever charged over $25 for a call, visit, pills, and or/shots. But I guess he retired, and now there's some fancy vet built there. Nebo is going to kill my bank account.

kohala
07-31-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Mugsy, I wish we still had one of those small time vets around here. There was this older guy, Dr. Mortenson, we used to go to. He just had this small white building, and I don't think he even had any staff. Really nice guy. I don't think we were ever charged over $25 for a call, visit, pills, and or/shots. But I guess he retired, and now there's some fancy vet built there. Nebo is going to kill my bank account.
Isn't it sad when the HMO thing takes over our animals, too? I have a wonderful vet who operates out of one of the typical old Craftsman homes so common in this part of San Diego. Angel Animal Clinic on 30th St in North Park (not meant as a plug - but ;) )
Anyway, I was so saddened when I called for Grasshopper's annual, and found they now are part of a "group". they even added the Group name to their sign. Sigh. I hope this doesn't change the care, it probably will only change what is covered for those with enough sense to get insurance. I was not one of them, sadly.