PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever rode a donkey???

Genny
08-05-2007, 12:40 AM
I rode one once when I was really little. It was a neighbor's donkey. Anyway, their donkey named Raisin that I LOVE to death--is going to have a baby.

Raisin is a light brown donkey and she is a total sweetheart! I love her like she was my own donkey. I've always wanted a donkey but never had the chance to get one. I go almost every day to see Raisin and I always bring her a treat. She comes every time I call her. She is a dear friend...I've never loved someone else's pet like I love her.

Anyway we may be having to move in a few months...or what ever we're really not sure, but if we do move we're thinking about this place that has a barn that we've checked into. It has many acres and is a nice place for a donkey or two.

We thought about maybe getting one, this isn't decided for sure we are only thinking and talking right now, but I wondered has anyone ever had a pet donkey that will actually let you ride them? I've always wanted a horse because you can ride them, but the last 8-10 years I've spent w/ Raisin has really made me fall for all donkeys and I'd love to have her baby--maybe! a big maybe LOL

so just wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about them (owning them since i've nevr owned one myself) and can you actually ride them like a horse? My neighbor's never ride their donkeys they just have other donkeys and they keep each other company--I'm the only human that really ever interacts with them...anyway thanks a ton!!!!

critter crazy
08-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Very good friends of mine have donkeys and mules. They ride both. I got to ride their one Donkey reno last fall, it was a blast, nothing like riding a horse!! he he he!:D

Christmas_Hamster
08-05-2007, 09:54 AM
My Dad's friend has a donkey named Nark. I think it depends on their mood whether you can ride them or not. If Nark is in a good mood then we can ride him. But I have onlky ever seen him once and he was in a bad mood. When I went to say hi to him he let me pet him and feed him a treat but then later he wouldn't stop chasing me. That was scary he wasn't playing when he chased me. Then he let me pet him after. :rolleyes: But my sisters have ridden him and they tell me that it is different then a horse for sure. Good luck if you decide to get a donkey or two!

Miss Z
08-05-2007, 06:08 PM
http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/site/1/home.html

This website might help you out a little, there should be something on there about caring for your own donkey. :)

Genny
08-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Thank you everyone :)

Thanks for the web~site too Miss Z

But my sisters have ridden him and they tell me that it is different then a horse for sure.

it was a blast, nothing like riding a horse!! he he he!

LOL what do ya'll mean exactly?? Are they hard to ride, or more fun!!! LOL

Christmas_Hamster
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Just different. I don't know I haven't ridden myself.