PDA

View Full Version : Surf the web much???

clara4457
08-02-2007, 06:53 PM
This might be the wrong place (Karen feel free to move it), but for those of you who do a lot of web searches and use google, yahoo, msn or whatever - there is a much better option http://www.goodsearch.com. Goodsearch is a search engine that gives back money to not-for-profit charities for any searches done through their site. You can download a toolbar, or download a script that adds it to your drop down search box. Select your favorite charity when you do a search - if you don't have one feel free to use ours :) Buffalo Humane. It is no cost to the charities, the money is paid by advertisers since the more "hits" from the search engine, the more money they pay the site. Kind of a "win-win".

It's a wonderful way to support animal welfare organizations, without spending a penny. It has been praised by the NY Times, Oprah Winfrey, CNN and the Wall St. Journal. It is a division of Yahoo, so it is as secure as any other search engine.

Check it out - and remember Buffalo Humane can always be your charity of choice. :)

Vette
08-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I thought of doing that,, but it screamed 'spyware' to me an i didnt trust it. LOL

Catty1
08-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Vette and others - I found the following link:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/goodsearch.com/summary/

crow_noir
08-03-2007, 02:14 AM
I've been using GoodSearch for MONTHS and never had any problems arise from it. (I use several different anti-spyware programs and blocks. Stuff from other sites sometimes get through. GoodSearch is about as good as they come though ;-) )

I thought of doing that,, but it screamed 'spyware' to me an i didnt trust it. LOL

P.S. the only problem I've had is that you sometimes won't get as many results as you would with Yahoo or Google even turning the filtering off. So i use GoodSearch first, then if i don't find what I'm looking for then I'll use one of the other sites.

Clara, would it be OK with you if those of us that have been using GoodSearch for a while list who we've been GS'ing for?
(Preemptively: I've mostly done it for Wolf Park (IN) and Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary(NM).)

P.P.S. If anyone looks at Wolf Park's raised amount... I can guarantee with 99.99999999% certainty that all of those are my searches alone. about every three months I keep track of the # of searches at the beginning of my internet session, and then end of my internet session. The number the next time i logged on never changed from the time before. It wasn't long before i realized I was the only one searching (which is sad because they have hundreds of member and lots of staff.) Still... i had to toot my own horn here. :D

clara4457
08-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Clara, would it be OK with you if those of us that have been using GoodSearch for a while list who we've been GS'ing for?
(Preemptively: I've mostly done it for Wolf Park (IN) and Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary(NM).)

Of course!! Anything that helps any animal - I'll all for it! :)