PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCING: The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove at the Findlay Dog Park

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Our second Pet Talk Momorial at the Findlay Dog Park
has been approved by Director Tim >>>

My request to Tim (in part) >>>

"We're suggesting this group be located near the southern end of the
center dividing fence, so that both trees can be "used" when
either side of the area is closed off for grass renewal. The bench or
picnic table could be moved to either side of the fence as
appropriate, and still be "in the shade" of the trees. The "southern tree"
could be planted on the west side of the fence and beside the Time-Out
Pen - offering shade to the pen. The "northern tree" could be on the west
side of the fence and a suitable distance further north.

The Humans seem to "gather" in this area - and two more trees will be the
start of a nice "grove" of shade trees ... it does get "warm" out in the open."

Tim quickly replied with >>>

"Memorials are always welcome and can fit in nicely. Trees, benches and picnic tables work well for the dog park, we would like to add more. Collect funds and write a check to the Hancock Parks Foundation; identify what you would like and the names to go on memorial plates. Perhaps we can add some other funds to your gift for bigger trees. I’ll get with area manager, Kim Wickman, out there to start the planning. We’ll pick trees and plant this fall. Other items can be ordered or built anytime."

Soooo ... The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove Fund is hereby "opened"
and donations / pledges are being accepted. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

We'll try to collect enough to fully fund Two Nice Trees and a Good Quality Picnic Table,
along with suitable Plaques on the fence.

I'll kick it off with a $100.00 pledge for now ... I might have to toss a lil more towards Sherman's Tree.

I'll take on the task of "Banker" - but PLEASE follow these suggestions:

* PM "Cinder & Smoke" (not Phred) if you don't know my snail-mail address ...
* zippy-kat, shais_mom, and Karen also know it
* my address hasn't changed for 25 years ... "Phred" works if you don't know my other name
* the house # begins with a 1 and ends with a 1
* the 5-digit Zippy Code ENDS with --401
* Make ALL Checks, Money Orders, and other forms of payment out to Hancock Parks Foundation (NOT me!)
* PLEASE: Include a slip of paper with your Pet Talk UserName, your *Real* Name, Mail Address & E-mail
* I'd rather not use PayPal - but I do have an account and you CAN use it if that's easier for you.
* I'll batch up the donations and send them to Parks in bundles, with a Donor Summary Sheet.
* NO RUSH - we won't need to send the Donations till Fall Planting Time
* I don't think we'll be "planted" before Labor Day ... trees like to "move" in cooler weather.

Any Questions, Suggestions, or Concerns ~~~ Post away. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Karen
08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Sounds like a lovely idea, especially as both Sherman and Bowser liked the park!

lizbud
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'll start saving up now.Do you have an idea how much we will need in total?

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe we sould give some background on this Memorial Project ...

It started with this post by Pat (aka cyber-sibes) >>>

Our new dogpark
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=131281 (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=131281)

We finally got Star's tags and took her to the local Newport, RI, Dogpark ... It's not much to look at, just an area fenced off (only 4' fencing in some places) and filled with mulch. People bring jugs of water. There are about 3 benches. No trees. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
-----------------------------
NO Trees? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
Pat, maybe some of you that frequent the dog park could get together
and get a few little trees planted. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

How's about a "Sherman Memorial Tree & Bench - Eastern"??
We'll offer the First Pledge - Sign us up!
-----------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif
Just happen to have a number >>> He was out when I called.
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

by cyber-sibes >>>
I just got off the phone with Scott, and he said his phone & internet service have been out for two days, sorry he didn't get back to ya, Phred, but he couldn't! Now he's way behind, so I told him I would fill you in.
Here's the deal - the location of the dogpark is actually temporary. The Parks Dept. doesn't own the land, and it is slated to be demolished whenever the State gets around to building that new off-ramp from the highway there. He said he'd feel really bad if it got bulldozed under after only a couple years.
JoJoe & I are renting right now, and when we get our own place, we will buy a tree & plant it, but that may be a year or two away.

May I make a suggestion? I love the idea of having a tree dedicated to Sherman, and personally I think it would be nice if it got planted in the Findlay dogpark near the PT bench & trees...after all, that's where Sherman spent many, many happy hours. I assume PT pic-nics will continue to be held there, many of his friends would get to see the tree, remember him, and enjoy some shade. What do you think?
-----------------------------------------
by Phred >>>
Well ... <nutz> ... It'd be nice if YOU & JoJoe could see the Memorial Tree;
but I could live with the Sherman Tree being in Findlay.

Gotta wonder if Mr. Timmy would "approve" another "challenge to mowing" inside the Park! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif
I can float the idea past him and see what he says ... haven't *bothered* him for Months! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Wonder if Sherman would mind sharing His Tree with the Lil Short Guy wiffa Fluffie Tail? (Bowser)
-------------------------------------------------------
Which leads up to Hancock Parks Director Tim's OK of the Project today >>>

"Memorials are always welcome and can fit in nicely. Trees, benches and picnic tables work well for the dog park, we would like to add more. Collect funds and write a check to the Hancock Parks Foundation; identify what you would like and the names to go on memorial plates. Perhaps we can add some other funds to your gift for bigger trees. I’ll get with area manager, Kim Wickman, out there to start the planning. We’ll pick trees and plant this fall. Other items can be ordered or built anytime."
/s/ Hancock County Parks Director Tim B. on 8/01/2007

The next step is ours - we need Donations ...
re-read Post #1.

THANKS for your Participation!!

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Do you have an idea how much we will need in total?

In the Spring of 2004, we PTers contributed $665.00 to the Hancock Parks Foundation
to fund Two Red Maple Trees and a heavy-duty Park Bench.

I'm certain there were "funds left over" - which were to be used for
DOG PARK Improvements.

I'd estimate we need about $500.00 to do Two more Trees and a more expensive Picnic Table.

I've requested an "estimate" from Director Tim ...
and suggest we NOT hold our breath awaiting said "estimate". ;)

RobiLee
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Any Questions, Suggestions, or Concerns ~~~ Post away. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

I don't want to offend anyone but I do have concerns and a suggestion. First of all I would like to suggest that our beloved Angus be a part of this memorial also. Angus was and still is a HUGE part of Pet Talk. I would like to see him have a tree, plaque, bench or something in his memory also. Anna and her gang were one of the original Findlay Gatherers and I feel it is only right that Angus should be included. I have felt this way for a long time but I am not one who likes to take charge and cause any problems. After seeing this new thread though I feel it is time for me to speak up. Some type of memorial is way past due for our beloved Angus.

I absolutely adored Sherman and Bowser and was heartbroken when we lost them both. My concern is that I'm not for sure if the Memorial should be in thier names only. I think it would be more proper to call it the Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove Fund or something to that effect. That way all of our beloved dogs can be honored. I consider myself a regular Pet Talk Findlay Gatherer and I know that if something were to happen to either of my girls that I would also want to have some type of memorial for them. Nothing would please me more than to have my girls remembered and I know we all feel this way.

I really hope I am not offending anyone and if I am speaking out of line than feel free to say so. This is my suggestion and concern and I felt like I needed to voice it.

clara4457
08-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I think it would be more proper to call it the Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove Fund or something to that effect.

What a lovely idea - maybe a plaque that can have names added on an ongoing basis (thinking something like companies use for employees of the month - the plates unscrew from the plaque and are then taken to be engraved and then reinserted). Then the fund can plant a tree for each memorial. I was only able to go to Findlay a couple of times, but would be thrilled to donate to a PT Rainbow Bridge memorial.

Cincy'sMom
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Count us in!
Robin, I think it is a good idea to include Angus as well. I know we had talked about doing something when he crossed the bridge, but I'm not sure the idea ever got off the ground. I think now is a great time to remember him as well.

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I would like to suggest that our beloved Angus be a part of this memorial also.
Some type of memorial is way past due for our beloved Angus.

I think it would be more proper to call it "The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove".

That way all of our beloved dogs can be honored.

I have No Problem either adding a Third Tree in Angus' memory;
or dropping the individual names and going with "The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove".

Only a few folks know this, but I have tried for years to convince "Park Management" that
we'd like to have a Covered Pavilion inside the Park - a miniature version of
the #7 Picnic Pavilion.
I porposed that Pet Talk be the primary sponsor, and feature our Angus as the
First Dog being memorialized. Then we'd mount a large Memorial Plaque and sell
Memorial Name Plates to add to the Plaque. (Similar to what Hospitals do to fund a new wing.)

I've heard every excuse in the book for why it hasn't happened yet; the
most sugnificant probably being the HIGH Cost (many Thousands of dollars)
to hire an architect, design it to code, then bid the work out to contractors.

Till there's a change in Park Management, the Park District Operating Tax Levy is renewed,
and they decide if they're going to add additional Dog Parks in the county ...
the Angus Memorial Pavilion is a distant dream. :(

So I'll go along with dropping the Pet Names from the formal title ... and suggest we do a NICE Plaque and allow ANYONE who desires to add an Engraved Plague with
a loved one's name on it.

/s/ Phred

anna_66
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Thank you for remembering Angus and thank you for being willing to make the name something that could honor all our RB kids.

I know you tried with the Pavilion idea Phred, but some type of plaque type thing would be just as nice. And of course we would be more than willing to donate.

I know they have something like a big bulletin board there
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid214/p2557e78de047a01601eff57f00b3b8d0/ed2981af.jpg
Is there any way possible we could have something like this made? Then any one who wanted a name plate added would be able to.

zippy-kat
08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm willing to donate and I think it's a wonderful idea to include Angus.

Cinder & Smoke
08-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I know you tried with the Pavilion idea Phred,
but some type of plaque type thing would be just as nice.

I know they have something like a big bulletin board there...
Is there any way possible we could have something like that made?

Then any one who wanted a name plate added would be able to.

I'm sure we can design a Memorial Plaque DISPLAY BOARD that could attach to the
Center Divider Fence near the Picnic Table and Trees. That board would then have the
Individual Remembrance Plaques screwed to it.

We'll have to locate a local trophy shop that can handle creating the basic Display Board and individual Plaques; then work out a pricing policy that the Park can live with. Price (or amount of donation) should be reflected in either the SIZE of the individual plaque, or the placement of the plaque on the board.

Making the whole thing WEATHER PROOF is going to be another challenge. :eek:

Cinder & Smoke
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I just received this e-mail from Director Tim at Hanckok County Parks >>>

Hi John ~
Trees can be $100 – 250 each (planting by us).
Picnic tables - $300 – 650 each depending on style, materials.

Benches – we make our own so lumber w/ stainless bolts are about $125

Whatever you collect, we’ll upgrade that to get something nice.

/s/ Tim B., Director
Hancock Park District
----------------------------------------------------------

ESTIMATED Totals for Two Trees and a Picnic Table:

The Low End would be about $500.00 PLUS the cost of the Memorial Sign Board.

High End stuff would be about $1,150.00 PLUS the cost of the Memorial Sign Board.

I'd guestimate the cost to build a Weather Proof, Outdoor Memorial board,
with Initial Dedication Plaques and a supply of blank plaques could easily reach $500.00, or More.

Who's Interested?

Rachel
08-02-2007, 11:36 AM
A number of fund raising projects around here have used bricks which are engraved with the name of the person/animal being remembered and dates, etc. Then these bricks are laid in a path or court yard area. Still it takes someone in charge willing to organize and facilitate, which is obviously the problem involved in any effort.

lbaker
08-02-2007, 12:24 PM
When the first "memorial" was being collected I sent some $$ (Binx was very near and dear to my heart) but my Cheekie one had just died too and I mentioned I was contributing for her as well. I think that is when Phred added something about "all our beloved pets" or however it's worded on the current bench. Count me in this time and I would be contributing for my Badger, Collar and Thunder even if just in my heart. Wonderful idea.

Cinder & Smoke
08-02-2007, 02:09 PM
A number of fund raising projects around here have used bricks which are
engraved with the name of the person/animal being remembered and dates, etc.

Then these bricks are laid in a path or court yard area.
Still it takes someone in charge willing to organize and facilitate,
which is obviously the problem involved in any effort.

Pet Talk's own Catsnclay sent me a PM last night offering to make Bricks or Stones to
use in the Dog Park - at her cost for materials. THANKS, Catsnclay!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif
I tried suggesting the idea of "selling" bricks as a fund raiser for the Dog Park several years ago. The Park District just doesn't have the manpower to organize, order, and then install the bricks ... not any easy task out in the wilderness!

* The brick area must be well drained (the dog park isn't)
* A carefully built-up and prepared base is required
* A secure border is required - to keep the bricks tightly grouped
* "Routine Maintenance" = cleaning, weed control, sand replacement - is required

NONE of these things are easily done by a small work force with a limited number
of bricks being sold per month.

I "own" a few bricks scattered around the country ... they have their place -
but they also have some problems in certain applications. THIS would be a "problem application".

Memorial Bricks are a great fund raiser when you have the potential of selling many hundreds
or thousands of bricks in a finite amount of time. Order once or twice, hire an experienced contractor
to professionally install everything, and it's DONE in 6-12 months.

The Parks District is really being kinda "nice" to allow more Trees and Tables -
since each one is another "obstacle to mowing" and requires more hand work -
which increases the costs to maintain. I suggest we stick with "improvements" that
carry an almost automatic blessing from the Powers That Be.
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

lizbud
08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
This is great reading so many good ideas for this project. :) RobiLee,
wonderful idea about Angus too. I'm sorry I didn't think of that before.

Making it more inclusive, and adding dogs as we go along, sounds very good
to me. It could be a neat place for all of us. :)

P.S. Phred, thanks for the ballpark figure, & other options. :)

shais_mom
08-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Count me in - I really like the idea of the Pet MEMORIAL dog rather than just narrowing it down to a couple of names. If that is the case then the park would soon be very full of trees if we planted them for every member that goes there who will lose a dog someday. I think this makes more sense and feelings aren't hurt.
I love the idea of bricks also however they would be used.

anna_66
08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I just received this e-mail from Director Tim at Hanckok County Parks >>>

Hi John ~
Trees can be $100 – 250 each (planting by us).
Picnic tables - $300 – 650 each depending on style, materials.

Benches – we make our own so lumber w/ stainless bolts are about $125

Whatever you collect, we’ll upgrade that to get something nice.

/s/ Tim B., Director
Hancock Park District
----------------------------------------------------------

ESTIMATED Totals for Two Trees and a Picnic Table:

The Low End would be about $500.00 PLUS the cost of the Memorial Sign Board.

High End stuff would be about $1,150.00 PLUS the cost of the Memorial Sign Board.

I'd guestimate the cost to build a Weather Proof, Outdoor Memorial board,
with Initial Dedication Plaques and a supply of blank plaques could easily reach $500.00, or More.

I'm interested, but have a question.

Do they build their own picnic tables? Why are they so expensive? $300-600 for picnic tables sounds a little steep to me (if they are like the ones that are there now)
We have a guy that lives a couple houses down from us who builds them his self and sells them for $75-100 (can't remember exact amount right now)
-------------------------
OK, so maybe this is just me, but I was leaning more towards the making of the memorial board and it sounds like he's more into the trees and picnic tables. I don't see a quote price any where for the memorial board.

Is anyone interest in all this or is it just a dream?

dukedogsmom
08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I'll donate a little money in a while. Everyone else can "discuss" it's uses.

Cinder & Smoke
08-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Do they build their own picnic tables? NO, not picnic tables, only benches

Why are they so expensive?
$300-600 for picnic tables sounds a little steep to me
(if they are like the ones that are there now).
A: They buy Heavy Duty, Wide-Based, Municipal Grade Tables - example:
http://www.recreationdynamics.com/shots/UPA-1004.php (http://www.recreationdynamics.com/shots/UPA-1004.php)

We have a guy that lives a couple houses down from us who builds them himself
and sells them for $75-100 (can't remember exact amount right now)

We're not sure (I'm checking) if Parks would allow "home-built" tables ...
Parks buys from commercial/municipal suppliers, who sell "engineered" products and
carry "product liability insurance" to protect the Parks from lawsuits.

OK, so maybe this is just me, but I was leaning more towards the making of the memorial board and it sounds like he's more into the trees and picnic tables. I don't see a quote price any where for the memorial board.

"HE's" (Park Management) not into anything!
*I* approached the Park asking if we could make a Memorial Donation of an Improvement
in the Dog Park. *I* suggested the Two Trees and the Picnic Table ---
things the USERS of the Dog Park could enjoy USING; and the type of "improvement" that has been well received by the Park in the past.

*I* had not envisioned a "stand-alone Memorial Board" - primarily because no one can "use it" while visiting the Park. *I* would consider the Memorial Board as sort of the "gift card" that goes along with a gift of something that visitors can use to make their visit more enjoyable.

Is anyone interested in all this, or is it just a dream?

I'm not sure how to take this last remark.
If you're not happy with my efforts, just say so --- and I'll be GONE! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

BLUE comments (above) by Phred

Cincy'sMom
08-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Phred, I don't think anyone is disputing your ideas, but I think there is some confusion about what all we are looking at investing in. Some posts have talked about tress and tables, but there have been a few others that have mentioned a board and plaques that could be added by people.

I guess in my dream world, I'd like to see both done. I think a couple more trees and another table would be great out there, asit is limited currently. But like someone else said, there are many of us that go regularly, and if we keep adding trees, we will run out of room for the dogs to play (just my family along as 11 dogs..we'd have our own little forest!)

So going forward, also adding a board, where we could each donate a small plaque when out pets' time comes, seems like a good way to keep this going in years to come.

4 Dog Mother
08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Okay, Phred, calm down, don't read into people's posts - Anna may have not meant it the way you thought it sounded. Sometimes when so many ideas get thrown out - trees, benches, picnic tables, memorial boards, bricks, - it begins to sound like too much to cypher through - what is most needed, most wanted, etc, etc.

I know how hard Tim (Park District) can be to work with while others here have not experienced that joy. I know without you what we have contributed would never have come to be - in fact I think they would have taken the money and spent it elsewhere than the dog park if you were not there protecting our interests. I think more trees, and picnic benches would be the most practical things - other than our pavilion that we will never see as long as Tim and his crew are around (but then who knows who will replace him and how they feel about the dog park).

We'll be donating - probably more toward the end of the month. New mouths to feed moving in soon!

Cinder & Smoke
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
From Post #1 >>>

"We'll try to collect enough to fully fund Two Nice Trees and a

Good Quality Picnic Table,

along with suitable Plaques on the fence."

"Suitable Plaques" can be read as
"a Memorial Board with Individual Memorial Plaques to be added with future donations."

shais_mom
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
BLUE comments (above) by Phred
I don't know why you said what you said that we don't appreciate/ agree what you're doing. I'm stunned, and I can't imagine what Anna thinks. You should know better. :(

Cinder & Smoke
08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't know why you said what you said - that we don't appreciate / agree with what you're doing.

What I said was >>>

If you're not happy with my efforts, just say so --- and I'll be GONE! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

I'm sorry, but there aren't a lot of "improvements" that can be done in a grassed yard
that don't or won't need ongoing maintenance or care - two items in short supply with Parks!

Several GOOD Ideas have been suggested ~ Engraved Bricks and Memorial Plaques
to name two ... but "selling" or receiving donations for either idea will requre Time & Effort, for years to come, by the Parks Staff ... more things in short supply!

Not to repeat myself - but both the Engraved Bricks and the Memorial Plaque Wall were
already suggested, years ago, when I attempted to sell the idea of our PT Memorial Pavilion.
"Great Ideas", said Management, "BUT we don't have the people to do those things."
Parks isn't willing or able to Spend money to try to Make money.

Trees and Tables they LIKE; and the Visitors appreciate them too ...
That's why I suggested the Trees and Table.

shais_mom
08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
What I said was >>>

I'm sorry, but there aren't a lot of "improvements" that can be done in a grassed yard
that don't or won't need ongoing maintenance or care - two items in short supply with Parks!

Several GOOD Ideas have been suggested ~ Engraved Bricks and Memorial Plaques
to name two ... but "selling" or receiving donations for either idea will requre Time & Effort, for years to come, by the Parks Staff ... more things in short supply!

Not to repeat myself - but both the Engraved Bricks and the Memorial Plaque Wall were
already suggested, years ago, when I attempted to sell the idea of our PT Memorial Pavilion.
"Great Ideas", said Management, "BUT we don't have the people to do those things."
Parks isn't willing or able to Spend money to try to Make money.

Trees and Tables they LIKE; and the Visitors appreciate them too ...
That's why I suggested the Trees and Table.

I think we all realize that it isn't YOU vetoing or agreeing on what happens. Heck, if it were up to you, you'd let the dogs swim in the resevoir. ;)
But no one even HINTED or implied that we didn't like what you were doing or trying to do. You asked for suggestions, if you don't want them then don't ask for them!! :( I myself was in agreement that it should be included as a Pet Memorial for us not just a tribute to 2 dogs. (and yes I loved both of them very much) We've tried that route, and if we keep doing that - b/c all of us someday are going to have pets at the Bridge, the park is going to run out of room for trees and pic nic benches!!!
Now, if the head dipstick (Tim- not you ;)) doesn't want us to put our names on them or give us a memorial board or bricks - this is just a suggestion - is there somewhere ELSE we can attempt it? I know it would not be at the park but it would be located in Findlay......
FOR EXAMPLE:
The fairgrounds in Hardin County allows people to purchase benches and have in honor or memory things painted on them.
Like what about the cemetery where Rob is buried? The Humane Society?
We here at the hospital even have a large wall covered in names of people that donated to the hospital over 50 years ago when it was built.
just an example and a suggestion -

Cinder & Smoke
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Heck, if it were up to you, you'd let the dogs swim in the resevoir. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif YUP!

I myself was in agreement that it should be included as a Pet Memorial for us,
not just a tribute to 2 dogs.
We've tried that route, the park is going to run out of room for trees and pic-nic benches!!!

Now, if the head dipstick (Tim- not you http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif) doesn't want us to put our names on them ...
is there somewhere ELSE we can attempt it?

FOR EXAMPLE:
The fairgrounds in Hardin County allows ... benches.
What about the cemetery where Rob is buried?
The Humane Society?

I'm SURE we could find a charity in the County that would take our money and let us
put up almost anything with our name(s) on it.
But I'd MUCH rather do something in the DOG Park - that I can see and use.

Several of "us" like the idea of Two Trees and the Picnic Table ...
"The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove".
If Angus, Bowser, or Sherman are to be "named" - the Moms & Dads can purchase a Memorial Plaque to be placed upon the Memorial Board.

It's not that Mr. Timmy "doesn't want" our Pets' Names on a Memorial -
he just can't devote a lot of Staff time to getting it done.

We could try to locate a Trophy Shop in Findlay that might agree to work with the Parks
and handle the ordering processing, engraving, and installing of future plaques on the board.
Dunno if that would *fly* with Parks; but it's worth asking. The Price of a Individual Plaque would
have to cover the Trophy Shop costs and profit, PLUS a reasonable Donation
that would be banked into the Dog Park Fund for future improvements.

Two places we could possibly mount the Memorial Baord would be ON the center dividing fence;
OR - On the BACK Side of the new Bulletin Board.
On the Back of the BB would have advantages - bigger Memorial Board possible, AND the BB ROOF would protect the new Memorial Board somewhat.

We'll be hard pressed to get ANY of the details finalized before September 2nd; and
late August is a little too early (HOT) to be transplanting trees.

Do we want to "DO IT" later in the Fall; or just do it between now and next Memorial Day -
with a dedication at the Memorial Day 2008 Gathurin?

Next comment, your turn ...

shais_mom
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
I've edited my post above to say this.......
I myself was in agreement that it should be included as a Pet Memorial for us not just a tribute to 2 dogs. (and yes I loved both of them very much)

anna_66
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm interested, but have a question.

Do they build their own picnic tables? Why are they so expensive? $300-600 for picnic tables sounds a little steep to me (if they are like the ones that are there now)
We have a guy that lives a couple houses down from us who builds them his self and sells them for $75-100 (can't remember exact amount right now)

Is anyone interest in all this or is it just a dream?

WOW, what in the above statment made *YOU* jump down my throat? *YOU* stated in *YOUR* very first post...

Any Questions, Suggestions, or Concerns ~~~ Post away
Was this just *YOUR* way of being nice?
Ummm...didn't work for me.

I'm done, finished. Nothing more to say so don't even bother replying.
I love you all.

lizbud
08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Aww, please folks, lets not let this hellish heat get to any of us here
or cloud our thinking. Think cool thoughts and think yet again before posting.

I am reading some good suggestions so far.

Cinder & Smoke
08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
What in the above statment made *YOU* jump down my throat?

Originally Posted by anna_66

Is anyone interest in all this, or is it just a dream?

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

(That HURT!)

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 11:09 AM
so you retaliated with a hurtful comment PUBLICALLY? why not email or PM her instead?

Cincy'sMom
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not trying to get in the middle or speak for anyone, but I think was Anna was asking, was anyone else interested in the the Memorial Board, or was that just part just her dream.

I think Phred interpreted it was anyone even interetested in his idea at all, or was he dreaming.

Maybe I'm wrong about the interpretations and should just stay out of it. (maybe I'm dreaming ;) :D)

I just don't want to see a good idea lost or feelings hurt over what is intended by all parties involved to be a nice way to remember our pets.

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not trying to get in the middle or speak for anyone, but I think was Anna was asking, was anyone else interested in the the Memorial Board, or was that just part just her dream.

I think Phred interpreted it was anyone even interetested in his idea at all, or was he dreaming.

Maybe I'm wrong about the interpretations and should just stay out of it. (maybe I'm dreaming ;) :D)

I just don't want to see a good idea lost or feelings hurt over what is intended by all parties involved to be a nice way to remember our pets.
well stated Amy -
it just hurts me that the people I care about....
and its come to this.

mruffruff
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
It seems that the most viable option would be a couple of trees, benches and individual plaques mounted either on the fence (the most space available) or on the back of the bulletin board. Although I will probably never (well, it IS unlikely) see the park, I think this makes the most sense. Especially if all plaques are the same size. I'm sure there are places that can make weatherproof plaques. Metal would last quite a while as would the composite decking material.

The composite could be cut into squares and the information for each pet branded into it, and a frame around the edges. Inexpensive, long lasting, uniform size. I'm sure there are some woodburners who could do it.

cyber-sibes
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone. I'm back from my trip & just rad this whole thread. Just to throw in my 2 cents worth...
I think ALL these ideas have merit.

Knowing what the issues are at the park, (weather-wise, space-wise) I think the trees & bench/or table would be appreciated immediately. As anyone whose been to a PT pic-nic knows, it gets darn hot out there and you can only pack so many dogs into the shade of just a couple trees & one or two picnic tables! And, Trees would be something the dogs themselves would appreciate. Wouldn't this be a good place to start? The "PT Memorial Grove" is a great name for an area of memorial trees.

A Memorial Board is a lovely idea, but really, it's more for the people, as most dogs can't read, LOL!

Bricks might be a good thing to suggest as the floor in that small pavillion, should that ever get off the ground. One of the problems is that the entire dog park flooded several times this past spring, I mean you couldn't even get across the big tressel bridge into the park. The little plank-bridge that crosses the little run-off creek floated way down the fence line, and the wooden palettes by the water pump ended up at the far end of the park. So the park dist. may be a little leery of putting a structure in that mini "flood zone".

So, that's it. I'll make a donation towards a tree as a memorial to Sherman, whether or not his name is on it.

lbaker
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
sanity reigns, thank you ~ Liz has a point about the heat frying brains right now. Today was 105 degrees in Washington DC. Humidity off the charts. Let's try to relax and take deep breaths while so many of us have to deal with it. All good ideas and all up for discussion. Luckely no final decisions need to be made right now. If trees are viable, given the difficulties of trimming and maintaining, one or two carefully placed (with the blessings of the ones that have to work around them) that sounds good to me. But then, I've not even been there yet. DRAT DRAT, one of these gatheruns fur shur ;)

lizbud
08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
sanity reigns, thank you ~ Liz has a point about the heat frying brains right now. Today was 105 degrees in Washington DC. Humidity off the charts.

Not to hijack the thread, but Laurie, the heat here is just unbearable. :(
My outdoor kitties have had their feeding times delayed because they are
all sleeping later in the day. :( I hope we can both get milder weather soon.

ps. Here's hoping that you DO make it to one of the Findley gatherings too.