PDA

View Full Version : rent-a-pet

IRescue452
08-01-2007, 04:13 PM
http://flexpetz.com/

This is an odd one.

The concept is good for people who want to try out a breed before they buy one, but rarely do you buy a dog who is already trained and such. The membership terms are a little crazy though. I wouldn't force somebody to commit to 12 months or to renting twice a month. If they aren't 100% in on taking care of the dog for a bit, I don't want to give them the leash.

Rachel
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
To me this seems to be more of a money making proposition for the owners of this business. I just can't see that even a dog lover would pay that kind of money for such a short time frame. Better to periodically dog sit for a friend.

Giselle
08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Wait, are these homeless dogs or do they have an owner but their owner rents them out or are they technically homeless but tossed from home to home?

If it's the former, that's not such a bad idea. Kind of like fostering. But if it's the second and third idea, that's horrible, IMO. Dogs get terribly stressed and confused if they're frequently moved around from owner to owner. Unless private pet owners are using this as a daycare of sorts, I don't agree with this. Rent a pet? Pets are animals. They have feelings. They get attachment. They get lonely. To rent a dog out for whatever is convenient to you? That's ridiculous.

IRescue452
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Most of the pets seem to be rescued, and also they needed vet care, which most shelters just can't do. Also, they are trained and this is their job, working dogs can learn to adjust to what they do.