PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Doolittle..aka...Kevin ...*UPDATE* Day 3..PICTURES ADDED

K & L
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Day One:
The other evening we were on our last feeding stop at the park. Kevin put the last pile of food down and started walking away when a chick, (baby chicken, not the real thing), :D started following him peeping away. Kevin sprinkled a little food and kept walking only to have the chick still follow. He walked to the car, set the food down, and picked the chick up to place him where most of the chickens hang out. Now this is evening and they all are roosting and nowhere to be seen. He places the chick in an area with a lot bushes and starts running back to the car, only to have the chick running and peeping after him.

In the meantime as he’s running away from the chick he stumbles on the tiniest bunny at the foot of the stairs. OK, he grabs the bunny up all the while the chick is still on his trail. Kevin opens the door to hand me the bunny and the chick jumps in the car! :eek: By this time we’re both pretty hysterical over the situation. Kevin grabs the chick and again tries to place him away from the car, only to have the chick again run after him. He gives up, bundles the chick in his shirt and off we drive with a bunny and chick!

Day Two:
Morning
Bunny and chick spent the night in our laundry room. It is now morning and bright and early so Kevin takes Cheepers, the chick, back to the park. He sprinklers a little food down hoping Cheepers will start eating …but….Cheepers follows Kevin back to the car. Kevin gets out and spreads bird food all over and the other chickens and chicks come running. Cheepers starts eating with all of them and Kevin drives off to the vet with the bunny. Bunny (not Catsnclay..haha) gets a clean bill of health, lots of love from all the staff, and sent home to us with food to boot.

Evening
Normal routine has started for feeding the cats and who is waiting for Kevin in the same area, yep its Cheepers. Again he starts running after Kevin. He throws food down and takes off while Cheepers is preoccupied. Can you believe this?

We will see if he’s still waiting for him this evening and then decide what can be done with little Cheepers. He roosts on our fingers, crawls and nestles in Kevin’s hair, and snuggles to us. There’s never a dull moment in that park, that’s for sure!

moosmom
08-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Well Lisa,

Cheepers is hell bent on you adopting him. Why the heck not??? He sounds pretty cool to me. Do they allow farm animals where you are? Maybe you could donate Cheepers to a petting zoo.

That is a hoot!!

orangemm
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
What a scream! Kevin sounds like MY husband; animals instantly take to him. He once nursed a pigeon back to health after he had been hit with a BB. Built an outside cage for him, cleaned the wound, made up special food and hand fed him until he was able to fly again. "Walter" hung around our house for months after he recovered, probably very grateful!

Let us know what happens with Cheepers!

Does Bunny have a name?

krazyaboutkatz
08-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Lisa, thanks for making my day. I can just picture a baby chick running after Kevin.LOL:) I remember how some of the ferals would let him pet them and even pick them up. Animals sure do love him.:) I'm glad to hear that the bunny is fine. What do the cats think about him/her? Maybe you should think about fostering the chicken or finding it another home. It just seems too friendly to be left behind. Good luck.:)

kimlovescats
08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
That is absolutely PRECIOUS! Lisa, it sounds like the ugly duckling story ... the swan that followed the ducks. I think Cheepers things he is a kitty!!! It would be great to get pictures of that and Bunny! (The hooman one too) ;)

Donnaj4962
08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
What a great story! Sounds like Kevin is well-loved by all at the park!

How is the bunny today? What will you do with the bunny?

:::waving::: to Dr. Doolittle aka Kevin! Keep up the great work!

K & L
08-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Haven't named the bunny...still thinking on that one.

It's doing fine! It's so tiny we have it in one of the cat carriers in the bathroom. It fits in the palm of our hand. We'll get some pictures this evening and post them. I will try and remember to bring the camera to the park and try and get one of Cheepers if he's still around.

catmandu
08-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Cheepers must have heard that you are Pet Talkers and would make great Guardians for a little bird. Its scant wonder that he wants to join your family.

momcat
08-01-2007, 06:08 PM
What a great story! I hope Kevin wasn't hurt when he fell. It must have been something to see, Cheepers following Kevin then jumping in the car. Looks like Cheepers has chosen his Daddy. Great to hear that the baby bunny had a good check-up with the vet. Can't wait to see their pictures!

Laura's Babies
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
This is the sweetiest story! Being adopted by a baby chick! What a honor! The picture of a grown man running from a baby chick again and again is just to funny!

Medusa
08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
This is hilarious! I love this story! And I know that when an animal follows you, it's for a reason. Take Cheepers home. (I know, easy for me to say.) But I firmly believe that Cheepers and the bunny came into your (Kevin's) life for a reason. Maybe a petting zoo will take it, I dunno.

Catsnclay
08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
........so let me get this straight, Kevin was running away from a baby chick, but couldn't :p and in the mean time tripped over a baby rabbit ;) ........oh this is going to be a good story to pass around at work!! :rolleyes: :D

I always thought you had a zoo at your house, now it is true!! And with company coming.....wow, girl you are just going to have a WHOLE lotta fun these next couple of weeks!!

Are you going to keep "Bunny"???? And Cheepers??? I wonder how the cats will respond to them. Actually it should be ok, just thinking, most of your cats came from the park so they do know what rabbits and chicks are.

Oh, your house is going to be fun...........:D

NoahsMommy
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
awww......this is the cutest thread I've read in the longest time. How sweet!!!! Cheepers and Bunny. So cute!

I'd love to see pictures of both of this little ones...

I think its way too cute that Kevin is like their Dr. Doolittle. :) Some men are like that. That's how Phil is...where Micah and Phil are staying. He's the hubby to my friend CiCi...she's the one that saves thier lives (she's a vet surgical tech) and he's the one they clammor onto...even MY cats. When Phil's around, I don't exist!!

Too cute!! :)

K & L
08-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Day Three
First off I didn't get pictures last night...SORRY...We're getting company Friday morning and I was busy getting ready. Anyway, little Cheepers was again waiting for Kevin. The Rangers said Cheepers walked in the Ranger station and then when Kevin came Cheepers came a running. Kevin again had to sneak back in the car and drive off. This is just a baby and yet seems so tame. I feel so bad for him/her but there is no way we can have a chicken at our place. :eek: :(

The bunny, who the grandkids named LuckyCharm, is doing really well. The girls were begging Kevin to keep it and make a home out in the backyard for it. Shhhhhhh...but I think it won't take much to make him cave in! :D

I hope to have pictures in the next day or 2, I promise!!

Medusa
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Y'know, years ago when I was married we lived next door, so to speak, to a man who had a mini farm and his guinea hens kept coming over to my yard to feed at my bird feeder and eventually, they all roosted in my trees. They all picked on one little guy, whom I named Rocky because he was such a tough li'l guy, and they wouldn't allow him to feed w/them or be anywhere near them. So he learned to come and feed after they left for a while and he would squawk like crazy during the entire walk from my neighbor's property to mine. He was so tiny that I could hold him in the palm of my hand and I have little hands. Well, Rocky just loved me and would follow me all over the property, squawking the whole time, as if to say "I trust you but just in case I'm gonna make a lot of noise to try to scare you". He was the cutest thing and became somewhat of a pet until he grew up, then he didn't bother w/me any more. (typical male ;) ) But I lived in the country, so having a guinea hen or chicken was no big deal. Sure wish you could keep Cheepers. And I'll tell ya, if he was a guinea hen, he'd make a great burglar alarm. They're loud!

orangemm
08-03-2007, 04:39 AM
"Man chased by chick". Wouldn't that be a great headline? :D

I dunno...I'd have to go back and get that little guy. He is doing it for a reason.

Keep us posted!! :D

K & L
08-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I got pictures last night but haven't got them downloaded. We're so busy getting ready for our company this morning. I will try and get them posted later this afternoon when company settles in. I'm so stressed since they have NO cats and will probably not understand our crazy household! :eek: I think I worry about them finding cat hair in their food more than anything!

kimlovescats
08-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Can't wait to see the pics, Lisa! ;)

Medusa
08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Tell your company it's extra protein.

jazzcat
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh Lisa, that story is hysterical! I sat here laughing so loud that a few cats came to check on me. I can't wait to see pictures.

As for your company, I can relate. I'm a total wreck when anyone stays with us that is not a cat owner. Even outside cookouts make me nervous. I've also stopped my traditional homemade cookie gifts at Christmas since our cat population has grown. I'd hate to give a fur cookie to someone.

Catty1
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
I think I worry about them finding cat hair in their food more than anything!

FFF - Free Feline Fiber!

Who knows? You may win them over, and they'll go home and rescue two adults! :)

(I hope they get to see the Chasing Chicken Cheepers! "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" :D )

kt_luvs_kitties
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM
ADORABLE! I cant wait to see pictures of the bunny, and hopefully Cheepers as well! :D

orangemm
08-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Do not worry about the company...the cats were there FIRST! ;)

K & L
08-04-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p121d47ac77bc6a5fddb9d1df265ef910/e8450210.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p82f6e2a53bded4fadc439b4acd5141b8/e8450374.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pde0a008741deeeba4128476ff65081e7/e8450377.jpg

Catsnclay
08-04-2007, 12:39 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

The BOTH are adorable!

I see the bunny is at home, so where is Cheepers?????

How is the company dealing with your zoo?! ;)

jennielynn1970
08-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh my gosh! It's a tame bunny! I thought he tripped over a wild bunny! Poor thing. Someone just dropped the bunny off there??

Look at little Cheepers! Poor thing! He wants to go home too!

jenluckenbach
08-04-2007, 03:09 PM
What an adorable story!!! and I too thought you were speaking of a wild rabbit. that is a Dutch (breed) rabbit, tortoise color to be exact ;). What on earth was it doing at the park???? :confused: I think you have a new HOUSE bunny! :)

Freedom
08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice photos, and I really enjoyed the entire story. But it isn't over yet; Cheepers is still working on getting himself to your house!

catmandu
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
The Found Cats are thinking that Cheepers is just what you need to add a nice balance to your home. Hes adorable as is that Bunny. He has such fantastic colors!!

krazyaboutkatz
08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.:) Cheepers is a cutie pie and LuckyCharm is so adorable.:) I also thought that this was a wild rabbit. I'm so glad that you were able to rescue him/her.:)

K & L
08-05-2007, 07:52 AM
What an adorable story!!! and I too thought you were speaking of a wild rabbit. that is a Dutch (breed) rabbit, tortoise color to be exact ;). What on earth was it doing at the park???? :confused: I think you have a new HOUSE bunny! :)

Thanks for the info!! I will read up on this type of rabbit. What happens is STUPID people not only dump their cats in the park but their rabbits, dogs, lizards, ferrets, you name it. The park has numerous rabbits, wild and tame, so I'm thinking this is one from a litter born from one of the dumped tame rabbits. It was laying right by the step where the cats hang out so we were thinking maybe one of the cats got hold of it, heard us with the food, dropped it and came running.

Cheepers, I'm happily to say, seems to have found his family. He/shee hasn't been waiting for us the last couple of nights. There is a mom and a couple other babies in the picture so I'm wondering if Cheepers didn't adopt a family! :)

Now we have to work on figuring out a nice arrangement for Luckycharm so he/she can live in the backyard with the ferals. :)

Medusa
08-05-2007, 09:30 AM
How sweet! They're both so adorable.