PDA

View Full Version : phases that make me want to smack someone

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Ok there are several phrases that really really make me want to slap someone.
1) y'all
Everytime I hear someone say that I look them in the face and say
"I don't see a U-Haul. The correct phrase please is all of you. I don't care if Dr. Phil says it. It is not correct and his IQ in my opinion just dropped 20 points.

2) Have a good one. Have a good what??

3) We're pregnant. Talk about dumb. No you are not. Your wife is but you are NOT. The baby is not growing in your body, you don't have heartburn, swollen legs, cravings and a million other things. You are both expecting a baby but your are not pregnant.

Catlady711
08-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Politically correct stuff drives me nuts. If the kettle is black call it black if something is bad it should sound bad. Changing how you say the exact same thing doesn't change it's meaning or outcome.

For example....

I have a mailman or a maillady NOT a mailPERSON!

I have firemen NOT fire persons (just so happens all our firemen are actually men here).

I have police men or police woman NOT police persons!

If someone has a problem with a person of a particular race they are a racist NOT profiling!! (who thought up that dumb one anyways? Making it sound nicer doesn't change their actions towards another or make it any more accaptable)

People can be crippled, walk with a limp, gimpy, one legged etc. but I'm not calling them disabled (since many people in wheelchairs compete in sports, people with one leg can do amazing things even two legged people can't, that don't sound 'disabled' to me)

For that matter why bother with disabled? (sounds like something my car does along the side of the road at night in the middle of nowhere) or handicap (sounds like something they do in a horse race to me) or impaired? (sounds like something the drunk is coming home from the bar).

For that matter why does my car have to be disabled? (why can't we just say its broke?)

I'm still waiting for the politically correct versions of nursery rhymes to take over and no longer will our children read such things as....

Three blind mice - henceforth it will be known as 3 visually challenged 4 legged animals since rodent implies something dirty with disease, and since cutting tails off is a violent action and will cause nightmares in all children it will furthermore be changed to their tails being disabled because of nuclear waste.

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater - since keeping one's wife in a pumpkin shell is cruel and shall influence generations to lock up their wives the ryhme will henceforth be changed to him lavishing his wife with pumpkin pies because he loves her so much.

Jack & Jill - is too violent and will influence children to run and play possibly causing harm to themselves or others, so henceforth the rhyme will be changed to they get to the well and find the water is impure so they start a grassroots movement for the environment to provide clean drinking water to their town.

Little Miss Muffet - since the word tuffet is too outdated she henceforth be sitting on an ottoman, and since eating curds sounds like bad cottage cheese, she will now be eating fresh organic garden vegetables. Since her running away at the sight of a spider has a negative impact on spiders possibly jeopardizing their species, Miss Muffet will now start a conservation program to help spiders survive and educate the public on awareness of spider extinction.

Also due to injuries childrens games have to be changed to protect all kids -

Red Rover, Red Rover - studies have shown a large number of skinned knees and damaged wrist ligaments due to this violent game, henceforth the game will now be played with the child being called over walking to the other side and quietly and politely asking permission to join the other side at which point the other children will quietly give him permission. Game may only be played on a thick carpet of grass or over ground covered in 12 inches of woodchips and all children will wear helments, wrist guards, knee and elbow pads.

Hop Scotch - Because of injuries to knees and stubbed toes this game will only be played on thick grass marked out with non-toxic, environmentally friendly dye. Stones will no longer be used to throw, a Nerf ball will be substituted and eye protection will be worn in case an errant ball should poke an eye out. Children will no longer be hopping from one square to another they will walk calmly from one place to another on both legs to avoid potential injury.

I have about a ton more but I am sure you get the idea.

While I may not be 'conventional' (sounds like something they do at a business meeting in a hotel somewhere), but I am quite old fashioned with some things and refuse to change because some people get offended by the slightest thing or because people have an overprotective nature. JMHO

Hellow
08-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey, im from the south and i talk like a southern
heres how i talk: hey ya'll, whatchya cookin' up?

columbine
08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
"incent" or "incentivize" instead of "motivate"

"Yeah, no" like in "Yeah, no, that's fine." "Yeah, that's fine" or "No, that's fine" will do!

The doubling of the word "is." "The main issue is is that nobody can't talk no good no more!"

"go-to person" - how about "expert" or "authority?"

"top line view" "at the end of the day" - just overused

"gifting" - it makes giving sound so gimmicky and overblown somehow!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
When I was pregnant Justin's mom would say to me "the next time I see you you'll be even more pregnant". It drove me nuts! "Um, no, I'll still be the same amount pregnant, I'll just be a little further along in my pregnancy!"

Another thing that bothers me is when people say "I could care less"- The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less".

CathyBogart
08-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Irregardless Is A Made-up Word!

cassiesmom
08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Nuclear: It's noo-klee-yur, not noo-kyoo-lar. I cringe when I hear President Bush make this mistake.

Pushback (noun): Pushback is not a noun. Let's go with resistance.

ALOT is not a word and neither is ALRIGHT.

Ginormous: Why do we need another adjective describing size? There are already several in the dictionary from which to choose.

Tolerance: It's not tolerance if you want me to happily accept your personal beliefs while keeping my mouth shut about mine.

Jessika
08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Well obviously physically a man can't be pregnant but I definitely think a couple can be pregnant, because just because the baby isn't in the male doesn't mean he can't say he's pregnant. Because, I mean, he made it too... lol.

I don't know what really bothers me. Y'all kind of does... and since I work with a southerner at work, she uses it and it's rubbing off on me... so I'll catch myself saying it... DRIVE ME NUTS! I just say "you guys" if I'm referring to a crowd of people instead of "y'all"

critter crazy
08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
1) y'all
"I don't see a U-Haul. The correct phrase please is all of you. I don't care if Dr. Phil says it. It is not correct and his IQ in my opinion just dropped 20 points.

3) We're pregnant. Talk about dumb. No you are not. Your wife is but you are NOT. The baby is not growing in your body, you don't have heartburn, swollen legs, cravings and a million other things. You are both expecting a baby but your are not pregnant.

well I say Y'all all the time, Smack me I dare you!;)

Cataholic
08-01-2007, 03:13 PM
WOW! I can't really generate the type of animosity towards people for using incorrect speech that y'all can.

petslover
08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
If you come to the south, expect to hear Ya'll. I say it alot. :D

It really doesn't bother me how people talk, that's their own personal choice.

Uabassoon
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
There are really only two phrases that annoy me, one is "same difference", it just makes me cringe when I hear it. The other I think is a regional thing as I've never heard it anywhere else. People add "well" to the end of sentences for example "are you coming, well" It makes no sense to me and my best friend says it constantly, so of course I must make fun of her for it.

Blue_Frog
08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Corporate speak makes me want to smack someone. For example ...
"We’re an Innovative and Progressive Organization, with an infrastructure that is adaptable to Ever-Changing Global Paradigms. Moving Forward, Our Scalable and Robust Architecture will allow us to maximize Shareholder Value, while maintaining a customer-centric environment. We’re a Leader in the Global Marketplace, and maintain a socially concious attitude."

There. I threw in as many corporate-speaks as i could in one sentence. Someone can smack me now.

IRescue452
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
The word that really drives me nuts when people mispronounce it- betta.

BETA (bay tah)= second letter of the Greek alphabet, or an early version of vhs.

BETTA (bet tah)= fish species, possibly Latin, not Greek letter

Miss Z
08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I often cringe when I hear some of my relatives who live in Oxford (which is, for those who are maybe unsure, in southern England) speaking to each other. Their pronunciation is just too proper for me, very stereotypical English accents. :p Like 'grass' and 'glass' are meant to be pronounced like you would say 'mass' and 'gas', but the 'a' is drawn out into an 'aahh' sound. Gah! I hate it! Yes, I'm a northerner through and through.

Having said that though, I suppose a lot of southerners are annoyed by northerners' accents, saying we are lazy in pronunciation.

Bu' nay, ahdunt fink tha's t'case attall! Ent nobbut cus-tum! :D

And KBlaix, I agree about the 'could care less' thing. I mean, if you could care less about a situation, that must mean it's pretty important to you, right? ;)

Oh, and also, 'tongue' is pronounced 'tung'. It is! Nearly everyone I kn ow says 'tong'. For those of you who may not believe me, take a look at the pronunciation guide on dictionary.com. 'Tongs', as in the grasping instrument, is pronounced as it's spelt.

IRescue452
08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Words from other countries, like France, are so ingrained into our language here in WI that its easy for us to pronounce them. The other day I heard somebody from England pronounce buffet the way its spelled and I almost cried laughing.

Miss Z
08-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Words from other countries, like France, are so ingrained into our language here in WI that its easy for us to pronounce them. The other day I heard somebody from England pronounce buffet the way its spelled and I almost cried laughing.

Wow, that's interesting, most people I know can say 'buffet' how it's meant to be said (buh-fay). We get quite a bit of Europen languages mixed up in our language, although it has to be said, not nearly as much as they get of ours.

Maybe this English person you heard was scouse. :p Hee, hee, just joking.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
:D LOL!!!
You all are just cracking me up!!! :D
I'm sorry but I've been so sick this summer with bronchitis and other health problems that I'm just glad to be alive!!!

Threads like this one and the one about being upset about how someone spells just seem so funny to me!!!

Whatever happened to accepting people like they are? :D

I guess I just learned the hard way that some things just aren't worth the effort to get upset at!

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Nice to see you came too, you blacked out there for a bit. :p
well I say Y'all all the time, Smack me I dare you!;)

critter crazy
08-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice to see you came too, you blacked out there for a bit. :p Ha ha ha ha ha!!

I'm Ready now, y'all set for round 2???
http://www.blogs.wrw.com/links/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/cathelmet.jpg
:p

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 05:24 PM
It's ok to speak that way in the south where it is more accepted however if you come up north and you are applying for a job, proper English is required. There is no reason to speak incorrectly unless you don't know the correct term. No one wants to be misunderstood or made fun of because they are not speaking proper English.

As for what I am cooking I am making a roast in the crockpot since it is over 90* here. Thank you for asking.

Hey, im from the south and i talk like a southern
heres how i talk: hey ya'll, whatchya cookin' up?

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Ha ha ha oh God I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. You have a great sense of humor. You are what makes PT special.
Ha ha ha ha ha!!

I'm Ready now, y'all set for round 2???
http://www.blogs.wrw.com/links/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/cathelmet.jpg
:p

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I worked at that office once. It was my job to hire people. Can you imagine someone coming in and saying. U-Haul. LOL
I worked with great, intelligent, hardworking, fun, silly people who spoke proper English. I miss that job.
My one co-worker had a green water water pistol and she would squirt me with it when I was on the phone talking like U-Haul just wrote. LOL
Corporate speak makes me want to smack someone. For example ...
"We’re an Innovative and Progressive Organization, with an infrastructure that is adaptable to Ever-Changing Global Paradigms. Moving Forward, Our Scalable and Robust Architecture will allow us to maximize Shareholder Value, while maintaining a customer-centric environment. We’re a Leader in the Global Marketplace, and maintain a socially concious attitude."

There. I threw in as many corporate-speaks as i could in one sentence. Someone can smack me now.

Freedom
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
For example....
I have a mailman or a maillady NOT a mailPERSON!
I have firemen NOT fire persons ( just so happens all our firemen are actually men here ).
I have police men or police woman NOT police persons!
I'm still waiting for the politically correct versions of nursery rhymes to take over and no longer will our children read such things as....

Mail carrier; fire fighter; police officer. Gender neutral terms DO exist and always have.

As for the nursery rhymes, well I guess someone will do it; they already did that to the Holiday Stories! -- the Bedtime Stories -- and Fairy Tales!

http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Correct-Holiday-Stories-Enlightened/dp/0028604202

momoffuzzyfaces
08-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Hahahahahaha!!!
I bet people in England cringe at our "proper" English!!! :D

K9soul
08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I guess I'm pretty accepting of the different ways people speak. It does not make me angry or make me feel like smacking anyone if they speak differently from me or speak with regional dialect-isms. Everyone is different in background, education, location and so on. Some of the silly ways of saying things become endearing in people I've been close to. For example my great grandma spoke very old Ozarks type talk, I suppose hillbilly-like, and I treasured being around her and treasured the way she spoke, even if it wasn't "proper." She was a loving and wonderful lady and when I think of her and remember her saying 'tomaters' or 'worshing the sheets' it makes me smile.

So in general I can't say people's way of speaking or even various phrases they may say gets under my skin. It just becomes a part of that person.

critter crazy
08-01-2007, 06:05 PM
I think the biggest thing that irritates me, is when people bust on me, about how I talk! If you dont like what I say, or how I say it, dont listen! This is, after all a free country!:cool:

critter crazy
08-01-2007, 06:16 PM
It's ok to speak that way in the south where it is more accepted however if you come up north and you are applying for a job, proper English is required. There is no reason to speak incorrectly unless you don't know the correct term. No one wants to be misunderstood or made fun of because they are not speaking proper English.

As for what I am cooking I am making a roast in the crockpot since it is over 90* here. Thank you for asking.

I live in the North, and say Y'all all the time! I have even used it during a few interviews, I have yet to interview for a job, and not get it!!

Here up north, people who use "Proper" English are usually refered to as "Uptight".:D

Sevaede
08-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't really *hate* any bits of speech.

Phrases such as "don't got no" have a tendency to make me wince, though. Again, I don't hate any bits of speech, the people who use them, nor would I get physical with those folks. :)

My husband is a *very* intelligent and capable southerner who uses "y'all" sometimes. It has never impeded his search for jobs. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/unbakedbrownie/cat08.jpg

Vela
08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
For myself, I can't imagine wasting any of my time really caring how others say things. Sure lots of people say things differently than I do, but as long as their point gets across I don't much mind how they do it. I have very proper English, and I can speak like a hillbilly if I'm goofing around or what not, but it really just doesn't bother me. I figure so many come from such varied backgrounds that I would expect people to talk very differently.

davidpizzica
08-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I often cringe when I hear some of my relatives who live in Oxford (which is, for those who are maybe unsure, in southern England) speaking to each other. Their pronunciation is just too proper for me, very stereotypical English accents. :p Like 'grass' and 'glass' are meant to be pronounced like you would say 'mass' and 'gas', but the 'a' is drawn out into an 'aahh' sound. Gah! I hate it! Yes, I'm a northerner through and through.

Having said that though, I suppose a lot of southerners are annoyed by northerners' accents, saying we are lazy in pronunciation.

Bu' nay, ahdunt fink tha's t'case attall! Ent nobbut cus-tum! :D

And KBlaix, I agree about the 'could care less' thing. I mean, if you could care less about a situation, that must mean it's pretty important to you, right? ;)

Oh, and also, 'tongue' is pronounced 'tung'. It is! Nearly everyone I kn ow says 'tong'. For those of you who may not believe me, take a look at the pronunciation guide on dictionary.com. 'Tongs', as in the grasping instrument, is pronounced as it's spelt.
Miss Z, "bu' nay, ahdunt fink thas' t' case atall! Ent nobbut cus-tum!" sounds pretty much like how a person from Pittsburgh would pronounce them! We speak a form of english called Pittsburghese. I can PM you some samples.

Alysser
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Let's just say I never got how "dog" sounds like "log". I guess I have a jersey accent?? My parents have a Brooklyn accent. I can't stand it and make fun of it often. They say "wata" instead of "water". They also say my brothers name weird. It's supposed to be "peter" not "peta". lol :p

Jessika
08-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Let's just say I never got how "dog" sounds like "log".
How do you say "dog" then? The way I say it, it rhymes with "log" lol.

Alysser
08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I say it like "dawg", I guess lol. But it doesn't really sound like log? :o

columbine
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I change my mind sometimes. For a while I thought it sounded dorky for people to use the term "dis" if they weren't speaking gangsta in general. But it turned out to be useful - I didn't really have a concise way of saying "speak of disparagingly." "Slam" was too strong, "insult" seemed more like saying it to their face, and neither applied gracefully to inanimate objects (e.g. dissing a restaurant or an idea). But I can dis a book without talking directly to the author or implying that nobody with any sense could ever like it, and I sometimes do.

Love, Columbine

joycenalex
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=cassiesmom].

Pushback (noun): Pushback is not a noun. , well in xray it is, i do pushbach views on mammograms every day, it means the impant is pushed back from the field of view, so the radiologist can see the original tissue. otherwise i agree with you.

Daisy and Delilah
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Marigold: Don't watch Paula Deen. She'll put you in a tailspin. If she can't use the word, y'all, she can't talk ;) :) ;)

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
HA HA I can not stand Paula Deen. Or I should rephrase that, I can not stand the way she speaks. I do understand she is a nice lady but I can not watch her with that accent.

I really like Sandra Dee or Sandra Lynn, semi- homemade. She is elegant, intelligent and very inventive.

The English accent, Scottish, Irish and Aussie are nice to listen to. French and Middle European can be somewhat annoying at times. Mexican and Spanish I am not fond of.

mrspunkysmom
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
1) y'all

Okay y'all.

Colloquialisms are an accepted form of speech, informal though those may be. That doesn't mean the speaker is dumb or uneducated. Eccentric maybe or just proud of being Southerner.

When I interviewed for my current job, I was smart enough to not use Southernisms. Now that I am secure in the job, I use Southerisms since 1) I am from the South (where we are the lazy ones in the States), and 2) sometimes it helps to make a point.

To each his own. I sometimes imitate my mother's speech (New Jersey) to get their attention. Joyzee, Boyd, and turlet, get some strange looks.

Have a good one? Just current slang.

I agree with the third one, but at least some men are taking some ownership of their actions. Perhaps this psychology will foster the continuance of this responsilibity until the child's maturity?

As far as PC speech? I think that it can be more damaging than some of the original phrases, but that depends upon each situation.

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
You have a great sense of humor.
Okay y'all.

Colloquialisms are an accepted form of speech, informal though those may be. That doesn't mean the speaker is dumb or uneducated. Eccentric maybe or just proud of being Southerner.

When I interviewed for my current job, I was smart enough to not use Southernisms. Now that I am secure in the job, I use Southerisms since 1) I am from the South (where we are the lazy ones in the States), and 2) sometimes it helps to make a point.

To each his own. I sometimes imitate my mother's speech (New Jersey) to get their attention. Joyzee, Boyd, and turlet, get some strange looks.

Have a good one? Just current slang.

I agree with the third one, but at least some men are taking some ownership of their actions. Perhaps this psychology will foster the continuance of this responsilibity until the child's maturity?

As far as PC speech? I think that it can be more damaging than some of the original phrases, but that depends upon each situation.

Glacier
08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Yanno what makes me laugh.....you start a rant thread about other people's grammar and speech with a typo in your title! ;)

Lady's Human
08-01-2007, 09:43 PM
I have to admit something to y'all....

When I find out that something petty like an accent or the use of regional phrases irritates someone I have a tendency to remember to use the offending phrase in their presence.

Maybe I need sensitivity training.

Scooter's Mom
08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
My husband uses the phrase, "I seen <whatever>" all the time. I hate it.

I'm from Texas, so I admit that I freely use Ya'll in my sentences. :)

Marigold2
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Did I make a boo-boo, LOL I can be such a goof?
Yanno what makes me laugh.....you start a rant thread about other people's grammar and speech with a typo in your title! ;)

jazzcat
08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Hey y'all! The Tennessee Hillbilly is checking in!

You should live around here. Y'all (more commonly pronounced like yawl around here) is very common but some of the real "home folks" use the word you'ins. Oh gee does that one make me cringe.

One thing I've been guilty of saying is "fixin" to do something. For example (oh excuse me, Fer example), I'm fixin to take a shower or I'm fixin to start dinner. I guess we replace the word going with 'fixin'. I've worked on it and rarely say it now but if I spend much time around my in-laws it comes back. :rolleyes:

I also dislike to hear someone say "axe" for ask - example "Let me axe you a question".

Give me some time and I can come up with a bunch but you really need to hear it with my Southern accent to really appreciate it.

Karen
08-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Maybe it stems from being an English teacher/writer's kid, but I have always paid more attention to pronunciation than most people, I guess. I remember the girl next door getting mad at me when, in second grade, I tried to kindly tell her the word is church, not turch, as she pronounced it. Chimbley for chimney got the same reaction. After the buzghetti for spaghetti battle, I gave up on her pronunciation of anything.

We never discussed this at college - I went to Mass Art, where they were happy if we were literate. But one day, apropos of absolutely nothing, my Illustration teacher wrote on the chalkboard:
Bostin
Bosten
Boston
and said "Of everyone in the room, I bet Karen is the only one who would pronounce these three words differently."

One of those odd moments, where I was thinking "how could you NOT?" and everyone else was thinking "What the heck is he talking about?"

finn's mom
08-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Irregardless Is A Made-up Word!

I am quoting this because it was a huge pet peeve of mine. It's in the dictionary, now, though, so I bite my tongue. Much as it pains me, new words must be introduced or we'd all still be talking in Old English. ;)

finn's mom
08-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Bostin
Bosten
Boston
and said "Of everyone in the room, I bet Karen is the only one who would pronounce these three words differently."

One of those odd moments, where I was thinking "how could you NOT?" and everyone else was thinking "What the heck is he talking about?"

hahaha, I totally pronounced each one of those out loud, completely differently. ;) That's great!

finn's mom
08-02-2007, 01:18 AM
BETTA (bet tah)= fish species, possibly Latin, not Greek letter

wow, i have NEVER heard anyone pronounce it that way! Interesting!

finn's mom
08-02-2007, 01:27 AM
I do say y'all. It seems to be an acceptable way to make a contraction of "you all." My cousin (I think he's from Indiana, maybe?) says "you's." I love it. Or "you'uns", that one cracks me up.

I do admit, speech will oftentimes get my attention, but I don't typically let it bother me for more than a split second.

These threads are always enlightening.

davidpizzica
08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
The Pittsburgh equivelent of "Y'all" is "Yinz" I catch myself using it a lot. If you hear a Pittsburgher speak, it's almost a different language from English. I even have a English/Pittsbuurghese translation guide!

Glacier
08-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Did I make a boo-boo, LOL I can be such a goof?

LOL, you left out an R...I assume phRases drive you nuts, not phases! Although, some people's phases can be very annoying too!

Pam
08-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Okay y'all.
I sometimes imitate my mother's speech (New Jersey) to get their attention. Joyzee, Boyd, and turlet, get some strange looks.

Your examples are definitely NORTH Jersey. :) We don't speak that way down here in South Jersey. :)

My mother, who was born in Virginia, lost most of her accent over the years since moving to Pennsylvania and then New Jersey, but there are two words she still pronounces as she always did. :)

Cain't (can't)
Afred (afraid)

catnapper
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I generally don't care what people say or how they say it unless they're being insincere or rude. Basically, not WHAT you say but HOW.

I can say that working with the public though, I've really come to roll my eyes with "we're just looking" --- you came in with something in mind. A sofa? Lamps? A recliner? Please don't throw your hand up in the air at me and tell me you're just looking... we do get insulted :( (awwwwww.... pity poor catnapper). If you share what you're looking for I might have some suggestions to help your search. Many people miss exactly what they're looking for because they say they are just looking (I know this is true because if I can catch them on their way out of the store and ask them, "what WERE you looking for?".... 5 minutes later I'm writing up a sale for what they didn't find :D)

My husband can not stand the phrase "whatever". Want to take away his good mood and replace it with a cranky one? Answer any question with "whatever" and you've instantly got grumpy-man :p

K9soul
08-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I can say that working with the public though, I've really come to roll my eyes with "we're just looking" --- you came in with something in mind. A sofa? Lamps? A recliner? Please don't throw your hand up in the air at me and tell me you're just looking... we do get insulted :(

When I say that it's my polite way of saying I just want to be left alone to wander and look on my own, and be left to my own thoughts or conversation ;).

Pam
08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
When I say that it's my polite way of saying I just want to be left to wander and look on my own, and be left to my own thoughts or conversation ;).

Me too! I purposely avoid going into stores where I am confronted immediately with someone asking me that question. I find that happens all the time in this one particular furniture store near me and also on the lots of car dealerships. These people appear out of mid-air within seconds after I am there. :)

catnapper
08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Ah, I never ever approach someone right away. I leave them to shop. I had someone last week who accused me of ignoring him -- I was trying to politely give him time to take everything in. There are furniture stores around here that pounce on you as you enter the door, shoving bottled water at you. Thats not me. I'm trying to honestly help people.... my job doesn't depend on how many sales I make since I'm technically not a salesperson. I'm just there to offer design advice. Maybe if all salespeople thought that way, they'd make more people happy and make more sales :)

Miss Z
08-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Miss Z, "bu' nay, ahdunt fink thas' t' case atall! Ent nobbut cus-tum!" sounds pretty much like how a person from Pittsburgh would pronounce them! We speak a form of english called Pittsburghese. I can PM you some samples.

Wow, that's really interesting! Perhaps Pittsburgh and Lancashire were once joined? :p If I tour the states, then I'll have to visit Pittsburgh first, so I can be 'broken into' American English, as when I was last in Florida, I didn't have a clue what some of the words and phrases meant, and the way they were pronounced complicated things further! I just smiled and nodded when that happened. ;)

Alysser
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM

What area is that from?? I know North Jersey, but what cities? I have never heard anyone around here talk like that LOL. Sounds interesting though. :p

hehe, Zara I have to give you a video of my fake british accent. I want to see where I'm from in England. :p

cassiesmom
08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Just a question: is "Hey!" a substitute for "Hello!" anywhere other than the Chicago area?

jazzcat
08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Just a question: is "Hey!" a substitute for "Hello!" anywhere other than the Chicago area?
I say it all the time. It's pretty common around here.

sirrahbed
08-02-2007, 06:17 PM

I use that all the time too, and am curious to see how widespread it is :) I think the only time I use "hello" is when I answer the phone :p

Jessika
08-02-2007, 07:35 PM
We use it here a lot, too. Like "Hey! What's going on??"

dukedogsmom
08-02-2007, 07:39 PM
The most tacky phrase of the English language: baby daddy. I cringe every time I hear that.

Donnaj4962
08-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay, a phRase that makes me crazy is " what up?" AAGGGHHH! :eek: :rolleyes: The proper pronunciation would be "what's up?".... but even worse is that people use the phrase instead of " How are you?" or "what are you doing?". When someone asks me "what up?", I just want to look into the sky to see what is up there!

:::stepping down from my soapbox now::: and apologizing to all for my endless rant!

Marigold2
08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I totally agree.
Okay, a phRase that makes me crazy is " what up?" AAGGGHHH! :eek: :rolleyes: The proper pronunciation would be "what's up?".... but even worse is that people use the phrase instead of " How are you?" or "what are you doing?". When someone asks me "what up?", I just want to look into the sky to see what is up there!

:::stepping down from my soapbox now::: and apologizing to all for my endless rant!

cali
08-02-2007, 10:08 PM
there are 2 that drive me nuts.

the first is foyer, its french, and its pronounced FOY-AY not FoyER! this one drives me up the wall.

the second is Collie, I know a lot of people who pronounce it "koolie" like "oh, you have a Border koolie?" ...no I have a Border "KAW-LY", and Lassie was a "KAW-LY" not a "Koolie", a "koolie" is another breed of dog entirly.

"hey" is used up here in the Canadian Prairies as well, I used it all the time, I very very rarly so "hello", I say "hey".
same with "yes" I never say "yes", I say "ya" or "yup". these words to me flow more naturally, for me to say "yes" or "hello" it stints my speach, and doesnt flow lol

mrspunkysmom
08-03-2007, 02:17 AM
What area is that from?? I know North Jersey, but what cities? I have never heard anyone around here talk like that LOL. Sounds interesting though.

Middle Jersey actually. Wrong side of the tracks accent with a little bit of New Yokk thrown in. She speaks well actually most of the time, but the jersey shows through. It was really obvious in my aunt and uncle when they came to visit.

And she grew up in Lakewood, pronounced Lakewuud.

There may ahve been a bit of yiddish in there too. Some kitchen German.

I suspect globalization is modifying accents to a degree. We are more conscious of how we sound.

wombat2u2004
08-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Have a good one. Have a good what?? [/color][/size][/font]

Well....whatever !!!! :D I say that all of the time, that is a typical Aussie saying....it just means have a good day.
Wom

Marigold2
08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Sorry Wom I like it when people add one more word

Have a good
day
night
weekend
breakdown
Just that one extra word brings a real touch of caring, class and concern.

CountryWolf07
08-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Well, recently, I do not like "I'll talk to you in a bit..." or just "In a bit".. to me, it means, 1/2 hour.. not TWO-THREE hours later! So annoying.

K9soul
08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I guess I judge someone's caring, class and concern by how they treat me and how they behave towards me, rather than what words they do or don't say when greeting me or saying goodbye. I'd be pretty reluctant to have a conversation with some of the people in this thread after reading it through. Never know when I'm saying or pronouncing something in a way that gets me judged or is angering someone to the point they want to hit me :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-03-2007, 12:06 PM
There is a phrase that makes me wonder: not mad or upset, just wonder.

When someone says, "want to go with?",
I always wonder go with what? a banana split? a hair ball? a gorilla? a turkey sandwich? a frog? a cow in a tutu? a monkey wearing a chapeau?

Well, I just wonder that's all! :D

Vela
08-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I guess I judge someone's caring, class and concern by how they treat me and how they behave towards me, rather than what words they do or don't say when greeting me or saying goodbye. I'd be pretty reluctant to have a conversation with some of the people in this thread after reading it through. Never know when I'm saying or pronouncing something in a way that gets me judged or is angering someone to the point they want to hit me :rolleyes:

Afraid I have to agree. The thought of being judged as lacking in class or caring because I don't say something a certain way makes me feel sad that it is actually even an issue for someone.

For some comments or saying I can certainly see why it might sound odd or different or make you go hmmmm, but to actually get annoyed to the point of anger or judging someone to that extent based on a phrase is a little silly IMO.

CathyBogart
08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, recently, I do not like "I'll talk to you in a bit..." or just "In a bit".. to me, it means, 1/2 hour.. not TWO-THREE hours later! So annoying.

My ex and I used to get in HUGE fights about this.....He'd say "I'll pick you up in a bit" so I'd shower and get dressed...and two hours later I'd still be waiting." :mad:

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-03-2007, 12:44 PM
The English accent, Scottish, Irish and Aussie are nice to listen to. French and Middle European can be somewhat annoying at times. Mexican and Spanish I am not fond of.

LOL!!! It's obvious that you haven't heard ME talking yet :D . Well, we've lived in the US during 2 years, and people alawys told me:"Your English is great, but you have a funny accent"

What I hate is that some women always say "honey" or "hon", whether they know you or not!

About that word" BUFFET"; do you all know that "buffet" a French word??
The second part of that word is pronounced like the "e" you hear in "west"( so don't pronounce the "w" "s" or "t", only the "e" in "west".
But then you don't know yet how I, a true Dutch speaking girl, pronounce "buffet", :rolleyes: ? Well, use that word "west" again, but this time you only use the "e" and the "t" :)
Got that? No??? Then you all need a visit to my country asap ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-03-2007, 04:18 PM
What I hate is that some women always say "honey" or "hon", whether they know you or not!

Mercy, I'm guilty of this one. For some reason when I turned 50 I also turned into my grandmother and started "hon"ing everyone. I've tried to stop it but so far no luck.

Sorry, about that hon!!! :D

Alysser
08-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Yeah I have to agree. When having a conversation with someone the last thing I think about is how the person talks or says a certain word. It's really not their fault that they have a certain accent if that is the way the grew up. That's what they knew growing up and that's how they are used to saying it. The phrase "I want to smack someone" makes me think of the persons personality a little. :o

sumbirdy
08-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I find it offensive that because some people use y'all you automatically think that they are more stupid than other people. I use y'all all the time but I'm not stupid. I might just have an I.Q. that is higher then, say, someone who says all of you. :eek: Y'all is easier. I hate the way saying "all of you" or "you all" sounds. Takes up to much time.
There's only one word I hate to hear people say:
Warsh.
THERE IS NO "R" IN WASH!!!
You do not "warsh" your clothes, you "wash" your clothes. So many people I know say warsh. And when they say Washington they say Warshington. It drives me nuts but I guess I can live with it.

critter crazy
08-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Marigold2

I find this very Offensive!! I am Half Mexican!! My Father was Mexican, and I do not Like this one bit!! Talk about Racism!!:mad:

caseysmom
08-03-2007, 09:07 PM
[/i]

I find this very Offensive!! I am Half Mexican!! My Father was Mexican, and I do not Like this one bit!! Talk about Racism!!:mad:

I tend to agree with you on that. I found that pretty offensive and I am not mexican or spanish but hate racism.

Alysser
08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I tend to agree with you on that. I found that pretty offensive and I am not mexican or spanish but hate racism.

Agreed. Not to mention I am from Mid-Europe. :(

Sirrahsim
08-03-2007, 09:34 PM

Goodness! Calm down :) She wasn't saying that she didn't like Mexicans or Spaniards! She was just saying that she doesn't prefer the accent... Am I racist against Indians because I don't like Indian Food?? Or against the Koreans because I'm not fond of their cars?? Or even against the French because to my Americanized ears their accent sounds kind of nasal??
Not preferring the sound of an accent does not make you a racist :eek:
Back to the original point of the thread, I can't really see wanting to inflict harm on someone because of how they speak either. Certain phrases do get under my skin but that doesn't mean that I think ill of them as a person.

edited because I forget to hit spellcheck

CathyBogart
08-03-2007, 09:39 PM
YEESH people. she wasn't being racist! There are accents I find harder to listen to as well, that doesn't mean I don't like them or their country.

critter crazy
08-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I am sorry, But I am still offended by that statement!!

Sirrahsim
08-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I am sorry, But I am still offended by that statement!!
You have every right to your own opinion. I would just like to respectfully disagree with your labeling her a racist.

caseysmom
08-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Goodness! Calm down :) She wasn't saying that she didn't like Mexicans or Spaniards! She was just saying that she doesn't prefer the accent... Am I racist against Indians because I don't like Indian Food?? Or against the Koreans because I'm not fond of their cars?? Or even against the French because to my Americanized ears their accent sounds kind of nasal??
Not preferring the sound of an accent does not make you a racist :eek:
Back to the original point of the thread, I can't really see wanting to inflict harm on someone because of how they speak either. Certain phrases do get under my skin but that doesn't mean that I think ill of them as a person.

edited because I forget to hit spellcheck

Someone got their feelings hurt so I was showing support, I am perfectly calm but thanks for your concern :D

critter crazy
08-03-2007, 09:50 PM
You have every right to your own opinion. I would just like to respectfully disagree with your labeling her a racist.
I wasnt calling her racist, i was saying her statement was racist! What ever tho.

CathyBogart
08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
We are saying the statement was not racist. "I hate people who have Spanish accents" would be racist (sort of) but "I'm not fond of Spanish accents" is not.

critter crazy
08-03-2007, 09:54 PM
We are saying the statement was not racist. "I hate people who have Spanish accents" would be racist (sort of) but "I'm not fond of Spanish accents" is not.
Whatever! I am not arguing with any of you!!
I was offended! Sue me for crying out loud!!

I guess I am not supposed to be offended by someone Saying they want to slap me cause of the way I talk!!!

Lady's Human
08-03-2007, 10:06 PM
1) What, praytell, do y'all consider a "middle European" accent? There are a lot of countries, languages and dialects (hence accents) in the center of Europe.

2) Castillian Spanish accents are extremely rare in the United States. Y'all should watch on 'o them thar formerla one races to hear a true spanish (as opposed to hispanic)accent.

3) Which Mexican accent do you find offensive? There are several. I had several employees from Mexico, and I had one who spoke to me and translated the others for me. I could understand Miguel, but couldn't understand three of his compatriots (also from Mexico) as they had a different accent to their Spanish. I almost got into an altercation with them one day because of a misinterpretation, after which I relied on Miguel.

Karen
08-03-2007, 10:23 PM
The accent thing doesn't just apply to Spanish-speakers speaking English, that's for sure. I have a friend from Argentina, who, when we first met, asked "You speak Spanish?" When I replied, "No, Francais - mais un petit peau," he replied, "Ah, no Francais, me. You speak Mexican?" Clearly to Argentinians, they speak Spanish, Mexicans speak their own language.

There's pretty much nothing folks normally say that make me want to smack them. Fight the urge to correct them? Sure. (In instances that I DON'T correct them that is.) Smack anyone? Nah.

caseysmom
08-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I actually enjoy accents, my daughter has a friend from the south that says "yes mam" to me all the time, I think its endearing.

shais_mom
08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
WOW! I can't really generate the type of animosity towards people for using incorrect speech that y'all can.
I agree - I just don't get this excited about what people say. And I am around a lot of ignorant people in my work.
I get annoyed when little woman call in a schedule a MAMM-EIO-GRAM -
its a MAMM-O-GRAM.... but violence????
Remind me not to open my mouth around some of you.....

Karen
08-04-2007, 12:26 AM
I get annoyed when little woman call in a schedule a MAMM-EIO-GRAM -
its a MAMM-O-GRAM.... but violence????
Remind me not to open my mouth around some of you.....

Would you be annoyed if I called in to schedule my annual "squish-o-gram?" I got my reminder notice on my birthday this year - NOT a welcome present.

shais_mom
08-04-2007, 12:36 AM
at least squish-o-gram would be pronounced
correctly! :D
and not adding and EI in it! :D

Pam
08-04-2007, 06:37 AM

I agree. Some of these "complaints" seem really petty. I actually go out of my way to not criticize someone's speech, probably to a fault. My co-worker often says something is a *mute* point rather than a *moot* point. I have yet to point out her error to her because I don't want to appear condescending.

anna_66
08-04-2007, 07:45 AM

LOL! I had to laugh when I heard this. I have to say being called "honey" or better yet "babe" gets me (not enough where I want to smack anyone though.)
We had a girl at work who called everyone "Babe" ALL the time. I finally got tired of it one day and said, I'm sorry but my name is Anna not "Babe".
She really got offended :o

So now it's a running joke at work for us to call each
other "honey", "babe", "sweetheart" or things like that.

Otherwise I can't think of anything that bothers me. I say Ya'll and I'm not even from the south:D

Cincy'sMom
08-04-2007, 08:04 AM
The accent thing doesn't just apply to Spanish-speakers speaking English, that's for sure. I have a friend from Argentina, who, when we first met, asked "You speak Spanish?" When I replied, "No, Francais - mais un petit peau," he replied, "Ah, no Francais, me. You speak Mexican?" Clearly to Argentinians, they speak Spanish, Mexicans speak their own language.

There's pretty much nothing folks normally say that make me want to smack them. Fight the urge to correct them? Sure. (In instances that I DON'T correct them that is.) Smack anyone? Nah.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of a story. We had a Euchre (card game) tournament through work as a fund raiser. A friend of mine brought a couple they are friends with, and the woman was not orginally from the US. We would change tables and partners on the outcome of each game. At one table, the freind started speaking Spanish. One of the guys at her table was getting impatient, wanting to play. He told her you can speak English, or your native language, I don't care, let's just play.

She asked him why he thought Spanish was her native language. He said, well, you have an accent, and you are darker complected. She let him dig himself a nice little hole with the conversation. Then said, by the way, I'm not Hispanic, I'm from Romania, I just teach Spanish!

One thing that took me some getting used to is the pronunciation of Aluminum. In our little corner of the world, it is generally pronounced
A-lum-in-um. The chemistry manager at work always says Al-u-min-ium, which I believe is a more European pronunciation(?). Totally confused me what he was talking about!

There are phrases that I find unusual, or pronunications that make me heisitate, but certainly nothing that makes we want to slap anyone!!

CountryWolf07
08-04-2007, 09:20 AM
My ex and I used to get in HUGE fights about this.....He'd say "I'll pick you up in a bit" so I'd shower and get dressed...and two hours later I'd still be waiting." :mad:

That is what me & the boyfriend goes through every time we have a conversation on-line.. we don't fight about it, though, but I always tell him not to say that if he doesn't think he'd be actually ready, I told him, "in a bit" means, 20 minutes later, NOT 2 hours later, and he always apologizes for that.

shais_mom
08-04-2007, 09:39 AM

I guess I am not supposed to be offended by someone Saying they want to slap me cause of the way I talk!!!

I was confused up until you said you were offended by her Mexican/Spanish comment b/c I thought you 2 just had a running commentery going on and maybe had become friendly off board. B/c it seemed like everything you said she thought was funny. :confused:
I understand you were offended. You have every right to be offended. Just b/c someone else was not offended doesn't make her statement less offensive. Someone telling you are wrong to feel that way - is just as wrong as what she said.

shais_mom
08-04-2007, 09:42 AM
When I was in high school I used to say
"I seen" all the time - until one of my friends and my mom corrected me everytime it came out of my mouth. It took me a long time to break the habit and I would have to think everytime I attempted to say it.
Now I say I have seen or I saw. And now its just a slight annoyance when I hear it.

critter crazy
08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I was confused up until you said you were offended by her Mexican/Spanish comment b/c I thought you 2 just had a running commentery going on and maybe had become friendly off board. B/c it seemed like everything you said she thought was funny. :confused:
I understand you were offended. You have every right to be offended. Just b/c someone else was not offended doesn't make her statement less offensive. Someone telling you are wrong to feel that way - is just as wrong as what she said.
I was trying to make it funny, her original statements about wanting to slap people did make me mad, but I just tried to let it go, and make it a joke. But this comment about mexicans has made it worse, and I am indeed offended. Its not funny anymore.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-04-2007, 09:58 AM

I agree, I think pretty much all of the statements made are offensive. The way people talk (many times this has to do with where a person grew up) has nothing to do with intelligence or "class." I think the notion of actually hitting someone based on the way they talk is a lot less "classy" than anything anybody could say.

caseysmom
08-04-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree, I think pretty much all of the statements made are offensive. The way people talk (many times this has to do with where a person grew up) has nothing to do with intelligence or "class." I think the notion of actually hitting someone based on the way they talk is a lot less "classy" than anything anybody could say.

Well said.

petslover
08-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Thank You. This really needed to be said. I agree 100 percent.

critter crazy
08-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Thank you, i agree completely! 100%!!

Lady's Human
08-04-2007, 02:42 PM
"My Fair Lady" anyone?

Miss Z
08-04-2007, 03:03 PM
hehe, Zara I have to give you a video of my fake british accent. I want to see where I'm from in England. :p

Oh yes please, I would love to place you in a region of the UK. :p Could be quite enlightening! :D

"My Fair Lady" anyone?

LOL.

Catlady711
08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
"My Fair Lady" anyone?

LOVE that movie!!!! 'enry 'igging just 'ou wayt!!!

shais_mom
08-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I do notice that she hasn't posted for quite awhile in this thread. I wonder if the subtle way she offends people has finally bit her in the proverbial buttocks. :p

Rachel
08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I actually go out of my way to not criticize someone's speech, probably to a fault. My co-worker often says something is a *mute* point rather than a *moot* point. I have yet to point out her error to her because I don't want to appear condescending.

I'm quite embarrassed when I am corrected but despite that I actually appreciate it. (Thanks, Staci, I'm one of those mamm-eio-gram people.) One time on the phone I mistakenly used the word appraise when I meant apprise and was corrected by the person I was speaking with. Of course I was :o and never have forgotten it, but I'm much less likely to ever do that again. So I welcome corrections from anyone here, it's a good way for me to learn something.

IRescue452
08-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't think anybody literally wants to hit somebody for the way they talk.

Blue_Frog
08-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Not so much a phrase, but I do a lot of training around the states, and bring my Canadian accent with me. I often get a good natured mocking from whatever group i end up training. The last group was in Atlanta, who kept asking me to say 'Aboot' and 'Eh' ... happens all the time, and actually works pretty well to loosen up a really serious group sometimes.

I also picked up the subulties of Y'all being for one person, and All Y'all for a group of someones, back when I was doing phone support at my last job - i might be one of the few people up here that pop it into conversation. Its just one of those uncommonalities up here, so i usually get laughed at my by friends when i do :)

shais_mom
08-05-2007, 08:51 PM
. (Thanks, Staci, I'm one of those mamm-eio-gram people.) .
no worries i still love ya!! :)

Whisk_Luva
08-06-2007, 08:10 AM
hehe, Zara I have to give you a video of my fake british accent. I want to see where I'm from in England.
I wouldnt mind hearing that either! :D

I often cringe when I hear some of my relatives who live in Oxford (which is, for those who are maybe unsure, in southern England) speaking to each other. Their pronunciation is just too proper for me, very stereotypical English accents. Like 'grass' and 'glass' are meant to be pronounced like you would say 'mass' and 'gas', but the 'a' is drawn out into an 'aahh' sound. Gah! I hate it! Yes, I'm a northerner through and through.
You must hate the way I talk then! ;)

I do notice that she hasn't posted for quite a while in this thread. I wonder if the subtle way she offends people has finally bit her in the proverbial buttocks.
Who's she? The cats mother? Where I come from it is polite to address people by there names/usernames and not she. Maybe 'she' is busy! Maybe 'she' hasnt had time to post or hasnt seen the thread for awhile. By 'she' I think you mean Monica/Marigold2?
I am not trying to offend you by saying this just pointing some aspects of your post.

-Pickle-
08-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Who's she? The cats mother? Where I come from it is polite to address people by there names/usernames and not she. Maybe 'she' is busy! Maybe 'she' hasnt had time to post or hasnt seen the thread for awhile. By 'she' I think you mean Monica/Marigold2?
I am not trying to offend you by saying this just pointing some aspects of your post

I Agree with Whisk_luva on this.

-Pickle-
08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
have any of you ever heard a chav speak?
(townie) Would you rather hear "nice day isn't it?" or "dis day is like well jammy innit?"
Would you rather listen to "oh wow! isnt that gold necklace gorgeous?" or "dat Bling is like, well fetch!"
how about " Pamela Anderson looks very toned these days, dont you think?"
or " Pamela is well fit innit? she had another operation i wanna see her wearin dat red speedo again yeah? int she fit bruver?"

decide.

sparks19
08-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I do think a couple can be pregnant :D Ever heard of Couvade syndrome. when a man experiences the symptoms of pregnancy. lol Plus.... in most cases men are in just as much pain from all the complaining pregnant women do. i don't have swollen legs, heart burn, or even any cravings anymore..... Other than a big belly I really don't have any symptoms (symptoms is the wrong word here but I can't think of a better one) of pregnancy other than a growing belly..... but my hubby has a growing belly too :D

The only thing people say that really makes me grit my teeth is "Whatever" and not in the sense of "Whatever you want" or "we can go to the beach or whatever." but the attitude filled "Whatever" does drive me a little batty lol.

Whisk_Luva
08-06-2007, 12:04 PM
but my hubby has a growing belly too :D

Ha ha! :D

slleipnir
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
There are people at my work who order a "Keiffs" and I'm thinking do they mean "Keiths?" (I know they do...but it bugs me lol)

Miss Z
08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
You must hate the way I talk then! ;)

I am not trying to offend you by saying this just pointing some aspects of your post.

He he, well I guess I can just about forgive you seeing as you own two absolutely gorgeous hammies and we get to see pics of them every so often. :D

And I agree with you on the fact that Marigold maybe just has been busy since this thread ventured a little into troubled waters. I haven't seen her post anything remotely offensive, if, for example, she had posted that she did not like my accent or phrasing, I would just laugh it off or let it be. I wouldn't take it to heart, it's not like it's going to change the hearing preferments of either concerned.

have any of you ever heard a chav speak?
(townie) Would you rather hear "nice day isn't it?" or "dis day is like well jammy innit?"
Would you rather listen to "oh wow! isnt that gold necklace gorgeous?" or "dat Bling is like, well fetch!"
how about " Pamela Anderson looks very toned these days, dont you think?"
or " Pamela is well fit innit? she had another operation i wanna see her wearin dat red speedo again yeah? int she fit bruver?"

decide.

Oh yes, I've conversed with 'chavs' on many an occasion, in fact I know quite a lot! I am a user of the phrase 'innit', although my Lancastrian variation causes me not to pronounce the 't', so it becomes more of an 'innih'. Drives my mum round the bend. :p

I also have to admit that when I'm talking with people I'm really at ease with, like really close friends, I slack in pronouncing my 'th's, instead they become a 'ff' sound. :o So for example, I sometimes end up calling my friend Katherine 'Kaffrine'! I try my best not to, but I have to concentrate a bit, lol.

shais_mom
08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
you're darn right I mean Marigold2.
I didn't realize what I said was offensive, when I referred to 'she'. I was posting to critter crazy and assumed she knew who I meant as Critter Crazy was the one who was offended by her.

I disagree - I've heard from too many people that she has upset b/c she offends you by being subtle.
what I mean by this and I'm not calling anyone this - JUST AS an example.
not subtle==== you're stupid
subtle - not very bright. :o
I've heard about comments of her's in other threads where she subtley offends someone with humor but you know there is bite in her words. Unlike someone else on the board who flat out told a person to don't let the door smack her on the way out of the thread. (and I'm not giving names on that one either)
plenty of people were offended by someone (anyone) saying that just by the way a person talks makes them want to commit acts of violence.
just my .02.

and I don't have a clue as to what you mean by cat's mother- yea - no clue what that means.

RICHARD
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I love words and phrases.

The thing that dirves me crazy is when people butcher a phrase.

"All speed ahead"

"A bird in the bush"

It's usually durng a sports show/game when it happens....

Pam
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
The thing that dirves me crazy is when people butcher a phrase.

"All speed ahead"

"A bird in the bush"

How about *not the shiniest knife in the drawer.* (Heard that one at work recently.) :p

Lady's Human
08-06-2007, 08:33 PM
When I worked at Polar there were two employees who absolutely BUTCHERED the english language.

For instance:

I'm asgusted!

I can't remember more now, it's been a few years, but it was fun to get them going. They knew we were laughing at them, they laughed with us. No one got offended, it's just that that's how the spoke.

shais_mom
08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
How about *not the shiniest knife in the drawer.* (Heard that one at work recently.) :p
are you sure they weren't referring to Richard?~~ :) :cool: :D ;) :p :eek:

Killearn Kitties
08-07-2007, 02:08 AM
When I worked at Polar there were two employees who absolutely BUTCHERED the english language.
I used to work with a language mangler myself. One phrase I remember he constantly tried to say was "one fell swoop" only it always came out as "one foul sweep". It always seemed to give the opposite impression to what he was trying to say.

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 02:33 AM
you're darn right I mean Marigold2.
I didn't realize what I said was offensive, when I referred to 'she'. I was posting to critter crazy and assumed she knew who I meant as Critter Crazy was the one who was offended by her.

I disagree - I've heard from too many people that she has upset b/c she offends you by being subtle.
what I mean by this and I'm not calling anyone this - JUST AS an example.
not subtle==== you're stupid
subtle - not very bright. :o
I've heard about comments of her's in other threads where she subtley offends someone with humor but you know there is bite in her words. Unlike someone else on the board who flat out told a person to don't let the door smack her on the way out of the thread. (and I'm not giving names on that one either)
plenty of people were offended by someone (anyone) saying that just by the way a person talks makes them want to commit acts of violence.
just my .02.

and I don't have a clue as to what you mean by cat's mother- yea - no clue what that means.

Oh, maybe you dont use that phrase where you live Shais_mom. Its a very common phrase here... it just basically means that 'she' could mean anyone (the cats mother, a elephant etc).

Shais_mom, you are posting for the world to see though, not just to Critter Crazy.

Marigold2 didnt mean actual violence. She just means it annoyed her for a second... I know she would never use violence.

Being Subtle is better than not being subtle in my opinion. And by reading Marigold2's posts it sounds like doesnt mean to offend people, she does it with humor. And she sometimes says what she thinks.... Isnt she allowed to voice her opinion? Some of her posts may come across rude but read between the lines. Like 'im not fond of the ---- accent' it does not mean she hates the people, just she finds it hard to listen to. (as someone else pointed out earlier).

And I know Marigold2 has been very busy at work lately, I doubt she has had the time to reply.

Just my opinion.

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 02:39 AM
He he, well I guess I can just about forgive you seeing as you own two absolutely gorgeous hammies and we get to see pics of them every so often.

LOL!:D As long as I can understand people I dont mind LOL! :D (More photos to come sometime at the weekend or early next week of the hammy boys by the way ;))

And I agree with you on the fact that Marigold maybe just has been busy since this thread ventured a little into troubled waters. I haven't seen her post anything remotely offensive, if, for example, she had posted that she did not like my accent or phrasing, I would just laugh it off or let it be. I wouldn't take it to heart, it's not like it's going to change the hearing preferments of either concerned.

I agree :)

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Isnt she allowed to voice her opinion?

Just my opinion.

you are entitled to YOU'RE opinion and I'm entitled to mine as are others.
and If I think she's rude and other's think she's rude that's MY opinion. If you don't that's your's.
I'm done with this.

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 11:20 AM
you are entitled to YOU'RE opinion and I'm entitled to mine as are others.
and If I think she's rude and other's think she's rude that's MY opinion. If you don't that's your's.
I'm done with this.

I didnt say you werent. I am just saying Marigold2 was giving her opinion on accents and didnt mean anything by it.

Sorry if it sounds like I am trying to argue or disagree with you..... really i'm not, i'm just standing up for Monica/Marigold2.

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Shais_mom, you are posting for the world to see though, not just to Critter Crazy.

I'm sorry but THIS bothers ME, after being on internet forums for 7 years I didn't realize that???
that's fine that you want to stand up for your friend but I'm doing the same. I'm standing up for the people that aren't for themselves either, as its about time someone did it with all the snarkiness and cattiness (no offense to cats ;)) that's going on lately. And I do not mean you at all or Marigold specifically its been going on a lot lately.

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry but THIS bothers ME, after being on internet forums for 7 years I didn't realize that???
Sorry, I didnt mean for that to come across rude or anything...... :( I just meant not everyone knows who you meant by 'she'.

that's fine that you want to stand up for your friend but I'm doing the same. I standing up for the people that aren't for themselves either.

Same.

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean for that to come across rude or anything...... :( I just meant not everyone knows who you meant by 'she'.

Same.
I've edited my above post - b/c I didn't want you to think that I meant that YOU were being rude to people - that is not what I was intending at all.

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I've edited my above post - b/c I didn't want you to think that I meant that YOU were being rude to people - that is not what I was intending at all.

Ok now I am really confused...... my brain hurts... (ok maybe that might just be my sister threw something at me and it hit me on the head.... :rolleyes: )

Zippy
08-07-2007, 12:34 PM
There just animals. :mad:
Why fix my kitty?I want my childern to see the miracle of birth. :mad:
Fish don't have feelings.Why do you care so much? :mad:
The poem Ring around the Rosie

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm standing up for the people that aren't for themselves either, as its about time someone did it with all the snarkiness and cattiness (no offense to cats ;)) that's going on lately. And I do not mean you at all or Marigold specifically its been going on a lot lately.
this post -
when I said snarkiness and cattiness - I did not mean you Whisk Luva.
And I'm glad we've established the fact that we are BOTH standing up for our friends - :) we've only stated like twice!!! :D

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
There just animals. :mad:
Why fix my kitty?I want my childern to see the miracle of birth. :mad:
Fish don't have feelings.Why do you care so much? :mad:
The poem Ring around the Rosie
ohhhh these are phrases that upset you?
I thought you meant someone that had said that here. :confused:
boy was I CONFUSED

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
this post -
when I said snarkiness and cattiness - I did not mean you Whisk Luva.
And I'm glad we've established the fact that we are BOTH standing up for our friends - :) we've only stated like twice!!! :D

Oh ok.... now I am even more confused because the post hasnt changed on my computer..... oh well!

LOL! Yep! ;)

Zippy
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
ohhhh these are phrases that upset you?

Yes they are.I hate hearing those.

shais_mom
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh ok.... now I am even more confused because the post hasnt changed on my computer..... oh well!

LOL! Yep! ;)
uhhh
maybe b/c I edited before you saw it?
GOOD! :D

Whisk_Luva
08-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Dont you mean I saw it before you edited it? LOL! :D

Yep Good :D