PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Pet Rental Service Provides Part-Time Pet Ownership

wolflady
07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I saw this article this morning, and thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion. In some ways, I think it's a good idea and in other ways not so much.

What do you think?

SAN FRANCISCO — From the state that popularized purse puppies, drive-thru dog washes and gourmet dog food delivery comes the latest in canine convenience — a company that contracts out dogs by the day to urbanites without the time or space to care for a pet full-time.

Marlena Cervantes, founder of FlexPetz, bristles when people refer to her five-month-old business as a rent-a-pet service. She prefers the term "shared pet ownership," explaining the concept is more akin to a vacation time share or a gym membership than a trip to the video store.

"Our members are responsible in that they realize full-time ownership is not an option for them and would be unfair to the dog," said Cervantes, 32, a behavioral therapist who got the idea while working with pets and autistic children. "It prevents dogs from being adopted and then returned to the shelter by people who realize it wasn't a good fit."

FlexPetz is currently available in Los Angeles and San Diego, where Cervantes lives. She plans to open new locations in San Francisco next month, New York in September and London by the end of the year.

She's also hoping to franchise the FlexPetz concept so the dogs will have housing options other than kennels when not in use. For San Francisco, she's hired a caretaker who plans to keep the dogs at her house when they aren't on loan to members.

For an annual fee of $99.95, a monthly payment of $49.95 and a per-visit charge of $39.95 a day, (discounted to $24.95 Sunday through Thursday), animal lovers who enroll in FlexPetz get to spend time with a four-legged companion from Cervantes' 10-dog crew of Afghan hounds, Labrador retrievers and Boston terriers.

The membership costs cover the expense of training the dogs, boarding them at a cage-free kennel, home or office delivery, collar-sized global positioning devices, veterinary bills and liability insurance. It also pays for the "care kits" — comprised of leashes, bowls, beds and pre-measured food — that accompany each dog on its visits.

Charter member Shari Gonzalez said she was thinking about getting a dog when a dog trainer she consulted suggested part-time ownership. At first, she had reservations.

Gonzalez, 22, never doubted there was room for a dog in her heart. The issue was her life, which included a small, two-bedroom apartment and a full-time schedule of college classes in San Diego.

"I was thinking, 'How is a dog going to bounce from house to house and be OK with that,"' she said. "I didn't want a dog that would come into my place and pee."

Her misgivings were allayed after she spoke with Cervantes, who explained that only dogs with social temperaments were picked for the program and that each would ideally be shared by no more than two or three owner-members.

Since signing up, Gonzalez said a black Lab named Jackpot has become a treasured part of her social network. They spend an average of one day each weekend together. He sleeps at her apartment and she takes him on hikes, to the beach and to parks frequented by other dog owners. The money spent on her membership has been well worth it, she said.

"I never even thought that was a possibility," Gonzalez said. "I thought you either owned a dog or you didn't."

Although she has never seen the doggy day care center where Jackpot spends his off-days, Gonzalez recently met another of his part-time companions, graphic designer Jenny Goddard, 33. Goddard, who is married with a 6-year-old son, said having a dog a weekend or two a month has been perfect for her busy family and encourages them to spend more time together outdoors.

"It's funny," she said. "He is so friendly and immediately playful with us, people are surprised he is a rental dog."

The idea of commitment-free pets is not entirely new, although no one in the United States has tried it with as much drive as Cervantes. Most private animal shelters, for instance, encourage volunteers to become temporary foster families to animals awaiting adoption.

For 15 years, the Aspen Animal Shelter in Colorado has gone a step further with a Rent-a-Pet program that allows residents and tourists in the resort town to take dogs out for a few hours or overnight for free.

"It benefits the homeless animals, keeps them socialized and exercised and in the end they end up getting adopted," said owner Seth Sachson. "The people benefit, too. When a tourist walks around town with a dog, they feel like a local."

Melissa Bain, a veterinarian with the Companion Animal Behavior Program at the University of California at Davis, said she had concerns but no hard-and-fast objections to a service like FlexPetz.

On the positive side, it might give people an easy way to test the ownership waters and keep a few dogs from being euthanized, Bain said. Possible downsides would be irresponsible members who treat the dogs like a lifestyle accessory instead of a living thing.

"It depends on the people and it depends on the animal. Some dogs may be fine and some may become stressed because they are moving from home to home," Bain said. "Perhaps they had a good experience with a good part-time owner and then they get shipped back. What kind of message does that send to kids? That dogs are disposable."

Cervantes said the hour-long sessions Flexpetz members are required to spend with their dog and a trainer before their first outing ensures the dogs are going into caring, competent homes.

Her members, who range in age from 5 to 60-plus, include single women in search of security and a conversation starter, Navy personnel who love dogs but are at sea for much of the year, and seniors who live in apartments where dogs are not allowed.

"Usually, our dogs are lavished with attention, and it's undivided attention from our members because it is the only time they have together," she said. "Some people take a dog home and realize, 'Hey, I can adopt a dog."'

nancyweNW
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm undecided on this myself. Overall, I'm not crazy about it.

bckrazy
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Personally... I think it's a pretty sad and unstable life for the dogs that they "loan" out. They have to go from one stranger to the next, while living in a kennel on their downtime. Not everyone can care for a dog properly. Not everyone will treat the dogs well. I have to question the reasoning behind leasing out a dog for a couple of days, that you don't even know. I think it's wierd.

If people really want to spend time with sweet dogs, they should volunteer at their local shelter.

critter crazy
07-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Personally... I think it's a pretty sad and unstable life for the dogs that they "loan" out. They have to go from one stranger to the next, while living in a kennel on their downtime. Not everyone can care for a dog properly. Not everyone will treat the dogs well. I have to question the reasoning behind leasing out a dog for a couple of days, that you don't even know. I think it's wierd.

If people really want to spend time with sweet dogs, they should volunteer at their local shelter. I agree! I dont think it is a good Idea.

Ginger's Mom
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds to me like someone found a new way to use a dog to make a buck. :rolleyes: :( People can certainly get involved with animal rescue group, humane societies, and shelters if they want to experience the wonder of having a relationship with an animal without the continuing responsibilities. It is too anxiety producing for the animals to live like that. What is acceptable behavior to one part-time owner may not be to the other. How long do they expect the animals to go from home to kennel to home. For years? Where is she getting her dogs from? I would like to think that at least they are coming from rescues and not back yard breeders.

Catlady711
07-31-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking it would encourage the disposable pet syndrome that is already so prevailent in our society. Pets are a lifetime care just like kids, I don't see too many 'rent a kid' places going for the childless couples do you?

ramanth
07-31-2007, 06:46 PM
If people really want to spend time with sweet dogs, they should volunteer at their local shelter.
Exactly! They can walk a dog, feed it, brush it, play with it without the cost and responsibility per say.

I can't believe they compared it to foster homes. I didn't see anywhere in the article that these dogs are available for adoption. If they aren't in a home, they are in a kennel.

Sad.

lizbud
07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Sounds to me like someone found a new way to use a dog to make a buck. :rolleyes: :( People can certainly get involved with animal rescue group, humane societies, and shelters if they want to experience the wonder of having a relationship with an animal without the continuing responsibilities. It is too anxiety producing for the animals to live like that. What is acceptable behavior to one part-time owner may not be to the other. How long do they expect the animals to go from home to kennel to home. For years? Where is she getting her dogs from? I would like to think that at least they are coming from rescues and not back yard breeders.

I pretty much feel the same way.I don't think it takes into consideration
the fact that it's not a good life for the animals.It might make some people
happy, but not the dogs.

lute
07-31-2007, 09:15 PM

agreed as well! I think this is a terrible idea! I agree with going to the humane societ if you want to spend time with a dog. There are plenty of shelter dogs that need to be walked, brushed, bathed, etc.

mruffruff
08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I can't see this as being good for any dog. Dogs need stability and this sure isn't stable.

Dogs are big on routine and no two households have the same routine. I feel sorry for the dogs they are using.

I agree that the people who don't want to have their own dog should visit a shelter.

Jessika
08-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I can see this as being a good idea for people who are thinking about getting a dog but aren't sure what they would be getting into, so they can "rent" a dog for a few days to see if they are ready for a dog.

But... if you can't own a dog... "loaning" them out just... doesn't seem right to me. I just see so many things wrong with it... but I mean... if the dogs are happy, then so be it, right? All I know is that dogs have to have some stability in their lives... and this just doesn't seem like stability to me.

I mean I know they have foster homes for kids, but would you even THINK about "renting" out a kid to someone who doesn't have the time or space to "have" a kid full-time?? Can you IMAGINE the outrage over that?? They may be "just dogs" to some people, but to me, I don't see how this is any different.

wolflady
08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Everyone has brought up good points about stability. Initially, I thought it sounded kind of like a good idea because too many people get animals they can't take care of, so this option would be better for them (especially since they mention the people are evaluated and her clientele consists of people in the service, elderly people and people in apartments). However, I agree that volunteering at the shelter or being a foster parent to get experience with animals is a much better choice.
I have to wonder what affect this will have on the animals? :( If they are happy and ok with the situation, then that's good...but I would imagine it would take very flexible dogs to be ok with it.

lunasmom
08-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I know of a shelter where I used to live in Colorado that would let people take the the dogs out for a day to go hiking or whatever, and come back. I think that can be a good chance for them to get out and away from the shelter while they are still up for adoption and waiting to find that forever home.

Leasing out animals for profit who have no hope of getting out of there and living in a more stable home seems really, really sad and unfair to the animals. :(

nancyweNW
08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
A local radio station interviewed this woman this morning. She said that when the dogs are between "gigs" (my word, not hers), they are at one of the members ranch which lets the dog roam free, meaning they are not kenneled. She said they are never kenneled.

Still though, I agree, they just get used to one person and they're off to another. Maybe it's better than being put down, but why not just commit and adopt one of the wonderful dogs out there. Or hang out w/a friend who has a dog and take them for walks occasionally.

Hellow
08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I think in a way its an good idea, in another its not. Its good for the elderly to have an pet for an few days so to bring some joy into their life. But its bad because some people will "rent" an dog and then kill it or injure it. And it adds to the confusion in an dogs life by going from one "owner" to another "owner".

cassiesmom
08-13-2007, 10:38 AM
www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0813edit4aug13,0,4845024.story
chicagotribune.com
Editorial

Too much puppy ciao

August 13, 2007

The perfect dog for busy urbanites will sit, fetch and roll over -- but won't stay. At least, not for long. That's the idea behind FlexPetz, a new California rent-a-dog service that provides doggies on demand, for a fee. If a challenging job or heartless landlord deprives you of canine companionship, you can borrow a dog for the afternoon or weekend. It's just the thing for when the grandkids are in town or after a nasty spat with your significant other.

Dog lovers who pay the annual fee, monthly fee and daily rental charges soon will be entitled to use their membership privileges at a dozen or more branches worldwide, sort of like belonging to Bally's or Blockbuster.

We wouldn't want to deny anyone a warm-and-fuzzy fix, but we're pretty sure Fido would say this idea really bites.

The last thing Fido wants, after a joyous frolic at the beach or a long hike through the forest preserve, is for his new best friend to pass the leash to a stranger.

Lifelong attachment is what the person-dog dynamic is all about. It's not just a Saturday afternoon romp in the park, it's the every-single-day predawn potty trot around the block. It's spending a vacation day at the vet because your four-legged friend swallowed a sock. It's remaining faithful through the late-life problems like hip dysplasia and middle-of-the-night incontinence.

If you're not up for all of that but still long for a pooch, save your money and volunteer at a shelter or talk to your local rescue group about fostering a pup that's waiting for a permanent home. Or borrow the mutt next door for your morning jog.

Anyone who has been in a relationship with a partner who can't commit knows what it's like to be checked in and out like a library book. That's no way to treat a date -- or a dog.

lizbud
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I read that this morning too. :) I thought that's exactly how I wish I
could have expressed myself. I agree with it completely. :)

cyber-sibes
08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
At first I thought it was a good idea as a way for people who were thinking of adopting to see if they were reallly up for the committment....but this comment:

I'm thinking it would encourage the disposable pet syndrome that is already so prevailent in our society. Pets are a lifetime care just like kids, I don't see too many 'rent a kid' places going for the childless couples do you?changed my mind. What about the kids that get these dogs-for-a-day? What does that teach them about responsibility? You only have to care for an animal when you're in the mood? I hate to think a new generation is raised thinking they can just take the dog back and be done with it / leave the responsibilites to someone else.