PDA

View Full Version : all you foster moms/dads out there!!

critter crazy
07-31-2007, 07:32 AM
I have been seriously thinking lately about opening my home to fosters. I know it is a hard task, as you always get attached, but I think it is something that I need to do, and of course I raly want to help!

What does it all entail?? Obviously I would open my home temporarily to fosters, but what all else is needed? as a foster parent would I have to foot medical bills?? or is that on the shelter/rescue?? Not that it is a huge deal, but would definitely limit how many I could bring into my home.

Since I only work 3 days a week, I figure i could be a great benifit to kitties in need.

What risks does this pose to my cat??

How draining is it on you mentally??

Any info you could give would be great, as would help me make up my mind finally!:)

Freedom
07-31-2007, 08:21 AM
My first foster was a one year old kitty, Ebony. She was picked up as a feral / stray, was pregnant and had an abort and spay. She was recovering from that when she got here. It lasted 29 minutes! I phoned the coordinator and said, "This is not working." Reply: "Oh my, I was told she has a wonderful personality!" Me: "Oh she DOES that's the problem. Take me off the foster list and take her off the adoption list. She has her furrever home!" So Lesson #1: you have to be in a position to be able to add to your current pets!

Two years later, I am trapping a feral cat colony which includes some kittens. I catch 3 kittens and have to foster / hold them until the assessment is made if they can be socialized. Then if yes they move to a more permanent foster home. I had 3 kittens in 3 separate cages. Each morning and each evening, I had to transfer these "wild" kittens to carriers and clean out the cage, litter box, put the towels in the laundry and add new towels. These kittens were 8 to 10 weeks old, weaned, eating solid food, and knew what to do with a litter box: use it, then SIT in it!
So Lesson #2: kittens are MESSY!

I have 8 cats and 2 dogs of my own. Each and every one had to go into the spare bedroom and sniff and check out the newbies. Lesson #3: you need to be on constant alert with what is happening between ALL the pets in the house; and be able to close the door where the fosters are until everyone agrees to the arrivals.

The kittens passed their assessment and had to be transferred to their new foster homes. Lesson #4: you have to be willing to drive to new areas as you make transfers!

You don't mention if you will be fostering adults from a shelter, or kittens, or ferals. there are different "lessons" to be learned in each and every situation!

I also volunteer with bichon rescue and I had 2 bichons come through here (maybe you saw my thread about it, 2 weeks ago). Lesson #5: not every pet is going to get along with every other pet. You need to be prepared for CHAOS! :D

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Did I mention it is fun? Oh yeah, it is MAJOR fun!

critter crazy
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
WOW!! Thanks freedom! What a great bunch of info! I am not sure if I would be able to do kittens?? For one I have never had anything younger than 5 weeks old, have no clue what to do with babies! and two, working even part time, limits my abilities to bottle feedings and such. So we will just have to see if I even do this. Lots to think over.

lvpets2002
07-31-2007, 12:16 PM
;) Well I would say Freedom has summed it all up to well.. It is a very hard hard task.. Good Luck & let us know what is going on..

Freedom
07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I have never done bottle babies either. That is a whole 'nuther set of lessons, he he. Not to mention, I feel I would bond too closely with such little ones and I'd keep them all!

AbbyMom
07-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Can I add one or two more things to Freedom's excellent post?

My last foster pair from a rescue organization came down with ringworm a few days after arrival. Luckily, they were isolated.

Lesson #6: Keep fosters in a quarantine two weeks before you let them mix with your pets. This will also help them mix with your current pets.

I loved this foster pair immensely. When they healed, they had to be returned to PETsMART--the cage. THAT BROKE MY HEART. Since I had not heeded Freedom's Lesson #1, I could not keep them. My cats (Becky and Abby) were already at each other's throats and these two cats...well, it would not work even with Feliway going 24 hrs a day.

Yes, the pair did finallly get a new furrever home. But I had to know that my foster babies whom I loved were sitting in a cage for three months. THAT BROKE MY HEART.

Lesson #7: It's easier to foster when the cats go directly to their furrever home from your house even if you have to drive them to adoption events or prospective adopters.

Good luck to you. Fostering is a very rewarding way to give to animals. If it seems like I regret it, that is absolutely not true.

Here are my fosters:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p0bf8935435387f008368df760c9b875f/f1acdfff.jpg

jennielynn1970
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I have some other hints, also from experience.

If you can choose whom you are fostering, that also helps. Not that you want a perfect foster, but being able to meet them and see their personality may help you decide if they might be more adaptable to your home. Most of the fosters I've had have been wonderful with other kitties. There have been a few (who are actually still here after 2yrs) who are just not cat friendly. So, either accept that you may house cats that are not super friendly with other cats and be less adoptable, or try to have more control over who you are fostering. Many of us who foster have what I would call "lifers" who are just not super adoptable and may be with us for the long haul. This can be a blessing and a curse both, lol.

If you are not adverse to fostering for long term, you can also opt to take the special needs kitties as well, since they have the hardest time getting adopted and so deserve to have a home. To me, even if it's not permanent (technically), it's better than the shelter. I have a special fondness for my FIV+ boys and senior cats. Almost every FIV+ cat we had at the shelter was just so sweet and loving. We did have a few at the shelter that were weenies, but the others were just loves. The senior citizen kitties also just break my heart. The fact that someone would dump them because they are older and may have some health issues is just inhumane.

Definitely try fostering!! And, hey, if you get attached, then you have another family member! It's not that bad!!

jennielynn1970
07-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, the pair did finallly get a new furrever home. But I had to know that my foster babies whom I loved were sitting in a cage for three months. THAT BROKE MY HEART.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/p0bf8935435387f008368df760c9b875f/f1acdfff.jpg

Your fosters were gorgeous!!! I think I would have ended up keeping those two, lol. They're my favorite colors!!! Then again, what cat colors aren't my favorites?! :p ;)

I don't think I'd allow any of my fosters to be in a cage for longer than 2 weeks, tops. It was so hard just to leave them there and walk away. I cried the entire way home, and emailed everyone to let me know how they were doing the entire time they were there (the PetSmart adoption center was about 1hr away, so I couldn't go there every day and had to sit and wait to hear about updates :( ).

catmandu
07-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I Asked The Animal Welfare About Fostering But Theres Too Many Acts Here And My House Is Somewhat Out Of The Way.
I Would Love To Take In A Few Faces But Would Probably Fall In Love.

jazzcat
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Abbymom -ROTFLOL!!!! Your sig is too funny!!!!!!!!
Don't make me break out the flying monkeys!

I just had to let you know you made me laugh hard today, thanks!

Critter crazy - I think it's great you are considering being a foster mom!!! I wish you the best of luck and hope we get lots of pics if you do it.

Catlady711
07-31-2007, 05:13 PM
I have never done bottle babies either. That is a whole 'nuther set of lessons, he he. Not to mention, I feel I would bond too closely with such little ones and I'd keep them all!

Oh yes, that is SOOOOO true!! *failed fostering 101* Hence Sabrina, Sassy, and Josh are still here since fall of last year! LOL

jenluckenbach
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Fostering, to me, if FAB-FAB-FABULOUS! But it is also emotional. YES, you will get attached. YES, some will get sick and some might even die. YES, it might be hard work because the ones you get might have emotional baggage with them. They might be scared or shy or refuse to eat.

Things you should know:
What will the rescue group pay for? If they will not pay for all vet costs, look elsewhere to volunteer. Some will cover food and litter also.

Can you choose your fosters? It is always best to take the type of cats that you think will fit into your lifestyle. For example, I stay away from the TALKATIVE types! ;)

Do you want to keep them seperate from your own pets? OR does the rescue group REQUIRE them to be kept seperate?

How will your fosters be adopted? (petfinder? adoption events? An adoption center?) Are you willing to allow people come to meet them in your home? Are you willing to drive them to events?

Well, if you want any more info, just ask. I think it is great that you are considering this. :D

critter crazy
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
I knew I could count on you guys to give out great info!! Keep it coming!!

I asked hubby tonight about what he thought about me being a foster mom, and he just got this scared look on his face!! I asked him what the look was for, kind of a little mad about it, and he said

"I thought you didnt want anymore kids?"

He he he he he!! god love him!!! :D

Once I calmed him down, and explained I ment kitties, he actually said he wouldnt mind, as long as I didnt get in over my head! Phhhttt......like I would do that!!;)

I am going to stop in tomarrow if I have time, after work, and talk to them about it. If I dont have time, I am off on thursday, so I can do it then.

Do you guys deal with one shelter, or are there many you foster for??

Freedom
07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Critter Crazy, you got one great hubby there!

I don't foster for a shelter; it is the feral cat rescue program, so I get kittens on a hapzard basis. The dog rescue is for one organization, it is national, based in Oklahoma. So I can't really address this aspect.

I think everyone had a lot of good stuff to add! I like being able to pick who you adopt; I don't get that option in either of my situations.

jenluckenbach
07-31-2007, 06:12 PM
I foster for 1 rescue group.

AbbyMom
07-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I fostered for a particular humane society and they usually selected those cats who had been in the cage too long and needed a break or an emergency place to stay. Once I had kittens to socialize...but they got adopted out of my house thanks to Petfinder.com.

What will the rescue group pay for? If they will not pay for all vet costs, look elsewhere to volunteer.

Jen L has brought up a very good point. The group I fostered for paid for it all.

However, I was very dissatisfied with the care that the two with ringworm received and took them to my vet and paid for it myself. Then the org decided it was against their policy as they were the ones responsible...and this led to a small disagreement.

So, be sure to get the vet situation clear first! Are you stuck with a particular vet?

My opinion is that these cats depend on me to do right by them. There isn't anybody else looking out for them in the same way. There's a reason why you're called a foster MOM.

Note to Jenn Librarian--They weren't in there for three months straight. Unfortunately, they contracted ringworm again in the adoption center and were sent to another foster home for a break while the adoption center was scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed. Then they back to the cage. The poor things. IT BROKE MY HEART.

Jazzcat--glad to give you the laugh. I saw that on a t-shirt. LOL!

critter crazy
08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Well I have been in contact with the ACC, about Fostering. The director is supposed to be calling me, as the other woman I have been talking is not involved with Fostering, so she can only give me so much nfo. Hopefully the Director will call me, and let me know about vets ect... They have already asked if I can take in Kittens, as they have way too may right now. Pretty much what I do know, is that all cats, before being placed in fpster homes, are tested for FeLV/FIV.
Hopefull I can get all the info I need, and get some kitties fostered! :)