PDA

View Full Version : Whats the proper name to this pet medication

king2005
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Ron's 16yr old cat is getting to the point the poor thing needs pain meds. Now I remember this really good pain killer for pets coming in a purple box... Something like Melafex.. but I googled that & it was wrong..

If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd really appreciate it & so would Ron & his old kitty Buster.

Catty1
07-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Is this for arthritis?

I don't know the med...but cat omega caps would help, along with a glucosamine compound.

Crow Noir talks about Velvet Antler, and swears by it...not sure if it can be used for cats. You could ask her.

Glacier
07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Metacam when it's marketed for dogs, Meloxicam when it's in pill form for humans(My Goldie takes the pill form, substantially cheaper when needed on a long term basis.) If this is the drug you meant, he will need to see a vet. It's prescription only.

edited...just noticed this was for a cat, not a dog. Metacam is not technically approved for use in cats. My vet gives it on a short term basis only for cats. Cats process NSAIDs very differently from dogs.

king2005
07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Is this for arthritis?

I don't know the med...but cat omega caps would help, along with a glucosamine compound.

Crow Noir talks about Velvet Antler, and swears by it...not sure if it can be used for cats. You could ask her.

Yes its for arthritis... His back legs are getting more stiff & harder for him to move.... Hes a VERY fragile cat, & he has cancer in his nose. No one is allowed to pick him up & if we are going to pet him, we have to touch him very lightly on the top of the head.

Will that remedy stuff used to calm down dogs, be good for cats too? I remember being told you can buy it in PetSmart.. it just calms the animal... Buster is so fragile, he can no longer be shaved to rid his matts... as you cannot hold him tight or you'll break him. He cannot he sedated by the vet, as the risk is too great. So I was wondering if that remidy stuff would relax him enough, so we can use safety scisors to trim his fur & cut the matts out, here & there at a time...AS too much at once will stress the poor thing out.. Ron said he use to be able to shave buster with no problem for years.. but this spring, Buster was just too fragile to go through a shaving.

Ron is very stressed as Buster is his first cat & he knows Busters time is coming. He just trying to make Buster as comfy as he can, until then.

crow_noir
07-31-2007, 03:45 AM
I don't know about EVA being ...safe? ... for use in cats. I've never seen any studies done with it on cats. That and cats usually don't eat the bones of animals. Though they are carnivores... so i suppose giving EVA to a cat would be a LOT safer than giving it to a horse or a cow.

The calming stuff you are thinking of is Rescue Remedy. Last time i knew it is perfectly safe to give to a cat. I wonder if the lavender oil would be safe? The fosterer to the pup that i mentioned in another thread accidentally put too much on the first time and the pup was quite lethargic for about eight hours. (Not overdosed type... just tired.)

Poor kitty. At least he has a loving owner.

king2005
07-31-2007, 09:27 AM
The calming stuff you are thinking of is Rescue Remedy. Last time i knew it is perfectly safe to give to a cat. I wonder if the lavender oil would be safe? The fosterer to the pup that i mentioned in another thread accidentally put too much on the first time and the pup was quite lethargic for about eight hours. (Not overdosed type... just tired.)

Poor kitty. At least he has a loving owner.

Thats the stuff I was thinking about!
I'll tell him to look into that.

Buster ate the biggest meal in months last night! Ron was doing this crazy dance & was running around getting more to give to Buster.

We had pork roast & Ron gave Buster a nibble & he ate it! Ron ripped up all kinds of little pieces & Buster ate a lot of it...

Ron was sooo excited that Buster was eatting, that he had a brain storm... He bought tuna in broth & opened a can.. He broke it up into mush & offered it to Buster... Holy smokes Buster wolfed it down!! Ron was almost crying, cause buster is so thin, cause he wont eat & cannot eat many foods. Wet cat food is banned from the house as Buster is puke & puke & puke if he gets into it.. poor boy.. Ron said hes going out tonight to buy lots of cans of that tuna, so he can try to fatten Buster up... As that'll help him feel better, cause he'll be even healthier from eatting properly.

So we're going to wait a couple weeks to see if his eatting increases, cause if it does & he can show hes stonger in health, Ron will Shave him a little each day.

Ron could careless how horrible Buster's fur looks like, as he shaves him tiny bit by bit... Buster already looks like hell & All Ron cares about is Busters health, casue Buster will always be a handom kitty in Rons eyes :)

Velvet is Ron's 3000.00 cat. Thats the one that his old roomie poisoned & she now has lung issues & tumors.. All his cats have major health issues (except Bear & Mugwai, they are both young & were healthy strays) & thats why he has them.. People were going to dump them & he took them in.

My Peanuts
07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
There is one around here; I might be spelling this wrong, called Rimadyl. Jimmy was on it after surgery, but it's for arthritis too.

Catlady711
07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
There is one around here; I might be spelling this wrong, called Rimadyl. Jimmy was on it after surgery, but it's for arthritis too.

To my knowledge Rimadyl is only for dogs the thread starter is refering to a cat.

At that there are safer pain meds than Rimadyl available now for dogs such as Metacam, Previcox, Duramax, Etogesic etc.

With cats you can start them on Glucosamine/Chondrioiton and some vets do use Metacam spairngly (although not approved for cats other than a one time injection).

Dusty was on Metacam then eventual Tramadol (again not approved for cats). I'm not sure either of them didn't advance her congestive heart failure along, but at least she was in less pain towards the end.

Good luck with finding something to help the kitty.

crow_noir
08-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Tell him to be careful... I've heard too much fish is bad for cats (though at least the cat is eating.) Poultry is much more natural for cats. (of course he'd have to cut it into tiny bids which can be a pain in thee arse.

You might want to move this to Cat health or cat general and ask for suggestions... or just look up old threads.